• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima’s deal with Xbox reaches key milestone

Corndog

Banned
When you are an xbox fan excited for Hideo's new exclusive game...and the game is DS2 :lollipop_squinting:

tenor.gif
Why? I can just play it on pc.

AJUMP23

I’m not really excited after death stranding. How many different games can he make to tell us war is bad.

a cloud based game that he can always tweak may be just the thing Kojima needs so that he can constantly tweak his game. I hope it has Transfaring in the game.

12Dannu123

What are you smoking? Sony has their own cloud gaming service, it's called PS Now, was released before the ones made by MS, Amazon and Google and has a bigger catalog than the other ones. In fact, it's the only cloud gaming service with Kojima games.

Kojima partnered for his next game (Death Stranding Director's Cut) with Sony, because both sides were happy after releasing a profitable and well reviewed AAA game where Sony gave him a blank check a game engine for free and full creative freedom, something not common at all.

And maybe because in the future in addition to games he wants to make anime, a movie (Sony is making the MGS movie) or a manga. And Sony can help him to make them, while MS, Google or Amazon can't.

PSNow is a Cloud Gaming service. The game that Kojima is making is a game that does graphics, ML, AI in the cloud. Those types of games Sony cannot make.

reksveks

That’s the strangest part of the rumour, why would any big studios, let alone Kojima ever think Stadia would be a suitable platform for anything?
May as well have written Ouya as the platform.
Cause Stadia's announcement also include some interesting stuff for devs, aka the ability to leverage a server rack to interesting stuff especially around scaling games.

I don't know if Kojima is very commercially focused honestly

longdi

Banned
Don't worry Xbox will take care of Kojima and his new game, it's in good hands now 👍

Yap, Kojima seems to be at the forefront of new creations and utilisation of new found possibilities.

This should be good. :messenger_ok:

He is going to deliver unheard of meta. He is a good explorer.

Last edited:

pasterpl

What are you smoking? Sony has their own cloud gaming service, it's called PS Now, was released before the ones made by MS, Amazon and Google and has a bigger catalog than the other ones. In fact, it's the only cloud gaming service with Kojima games.

Kojima partnered for his next game (Death Stranding Director's Cut) with Sony, because both sides were happy after releasing a profitable and well reviewed AAA game where Sony gave him a blank check a game engine for free and full creative freedom, something not common at all.

And maybe because in the future in addition to games he wants to make anime, a movie (Sony is making the MGS movie) or a manga. And Sony can help him to make them, while MS, Google or Amazon can't.

cloud game term in this case is more about a game using cloud infrastructure (like flight sim) and not game that you can stream from the cloud, nothing to do with xcloud, psnow or stadia. At least that’s my understanding.

pasterpl

Rumored playstation exclusive by kojima.
Sony fanboys: FUCK YEAHHHHH🔥🔥🔥🔥
Rumored Xbox exclusive by Kojima.
Sony fanboys: Mehhh it's probably trash, Sony didn't even want the game.
for me, more Xbox fan, I cannot understand that hype around hideo. I have preordered death stranding and played it on my ps4pro (got bored after 1-2 hours). Tried multiple mgs games over the years across various platforms and never was extremely impressed with these. Kojima IMO is overhyped as creator so I couldn’t care less if he releases his game on Xbox or PlayStation, not planning on buying it.

reksveks

for me, more Xbox fan, I cannot understand that hype around hideo. I have preordered death stranding and played it on my ps4pro (got bored after 1-2 hours). Tried multiple mgs games over the years across various platforms and never was extremely impressed with these. Kojima IMO is overhyped as creator so I couldn’t care less if he releases his game on Xbox or PlayStation, not planning on buying it.
Well let me tell you about Gamepass....

Now jokes aside, I also don't vibe with most of Kojima's games as well but happy to see creator's empowered.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I never liked a whole Kojima game, I always like a gameplay mechanic, a song or a character but never the whole game.

DonJorginho

Banned
I want to believe but I can't stop thinking how suss it is that no-one in the gaming insider space knows this massive news aside from fucking Jeff Grubby Grubb Grubb.

nowhat

PSNow is a Cloud Gaming service. The game that Kojima is making is a game that does graphics, ML, AI in the cloud. Those types of games Sony cannot make.
Judging by how hyped "the power of the cloud" was last gen, and how few games actually used it in any meaningful fashion - I'm not sure Microsoft can make them either.

bitbydeath

Cause Stadia's announcement also include some interesting stuff for devs, aka the ability to leverage a server rack to interesting stuff especially around scaling games.

I don't know if Kojima is very commercially focused honestly
To an audience of five people?

reksveks

Irrelevant. Drastically limiting your potential audience wouldn’t be a smart move for anyone.
Aka my point that Kojima's interest doesn't seem to be commercially focused. The cfo in his company might be more interested in that.

Also we don't know if Kojima is pitching this as another way to get additional investment into KojiPro

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When you are an xbox fan excited for Hideo's new exclusive game...and the game is DS2 :lollipop_squinting:

tenor.gif

XboxGaf: wow walking Simulators are truly great.
Sonygaf: meh death Stranding wasn't that great and kojima is overrated.

bitbydeath

Aka my point that Kojima's interest doesn't seem to be commercially focused. The cfo in his company might be more interested in that.

Also we don't know if Kojima is pitching this as another way to get additional investment into KojiPro
My point is no sane gaming company especially as big as Kojima would try make a Stadia exclusive. You may as well buy a Blockbuster store.

Porcile

So Phil the American guy with the raging boner for Japan, signs up Hideo, the Japanese guy with a raging boner for all things western.

LiquidRex

It'll be similar to Star Citizen a game that will just get updated over time, an episodic title... Tbh I'd be surprised if he just makes the occasional input into it after a few years and just passes it onto new devs to wet their feet in the industry... Also maybe fan based ideas will be put un future episodes.

I think he's overrated... So I don't care what platform he makes the game for.

I've only really really enjoyed MGS1 and MGS3. The rest were so and so..... And death stranding did not look fun at all. Imo he's made more average games then good.

yurinka

cloud game term in this case is more about a game using cloud infrastructure (like flight sim) and not game that you can stream from the cloud, nothing to do with xcloud, psnow or stadia. At least that’s my understanding.
If we assume that this game is real (which pretty likely doesn't, he's working in Death Stranding Director's Cut and happy with Sony and in addition to games wants to make an anime, a movie etc), he was supposed to pitch it to Sony and Stadia before to signing this supposed letter of intention with MS, which means PlayStation and Stadia were supposed to be able to do the game.

Exclusive or not, games on XCloud, PS Now or Stadia are basically normal console/PC games but instead of running on your local console or PC they are running on a console or PC located in a data center. They are normal games. They are very small markets, so it isn't profitable to put there games unless the dev already completed its sales cycle after discounts and so on, or unless getting a serious moneyhatting from the platform holder, case of the Stadia exclusive games or the games that debut day one on Gamepass/XCloud. So it's even less likely to see exclusive games there unless MS or Stadia funds them. Sony won't do it at least for a while because they have a super successful business selling new games and streaming them when old. But XCloud and Stadia will need exclusive games to make their services attractive and to compete with Sony, who is the one who makes more money with business and has the biggest catalog of streamed game exclusives.

There are games, mostly simulators, where their artists instead of drawing the environment art assets from scratch they use as a draft assets satellite info, like the one you get from Google Maps, to make them more 'realistic'. Google Maps and similar are stored in a cloud, but game isn't getting this info in real time: back when the artists were drawing the assets they used these photos as reference to draw their stuff, that's all.

Other games, they get in real time the day hour and the weather where you are located in the same way your phone get it from your weather app. This weather app, like any website is stored in a cloud. So the games have programmed different weater options and lighting depending on the hour, and instead of deciding using the game code the local weather and daytime they get it from this app (stuff like '18:23 - cloudy') and then the game renders the stuff locally as if this hour and weather would have been decided by the game.

Some flight simulator games instead of using their own air traffic programmed by their own, they get airplane locations of the real air traffic in real time from related apps or websites (so a cloud). So instead of setting these airplanes coordinates using the internal game logic, they get them from that app/website/cloud and then the game does everything locally like when these coordinates are set by the game.

This small info they get 'from the cloud' is pretty similar to when playing a multiplayer game and they receive stuff from other players: like info of where are they placed, in which direction are they looking at, what animation are they playing, if they have some recently shot flying bullet etc. They are only a few words and numbers, and then the games renders locally and applies the related IA locally.

These games (mostly driving or flying simulators) that use photogrametry or satellite data as reference to draw their game assets, or real time air traffic/road traffic to populate their 'levels', or real time weather or day time are normal PC and console games. They don't need to run on a cloud gaming service and don't need XCloud (it has the same feature set than their competition, some of who even performs better) or Azure (it has the same feature set than their competition, some of who even performs better) for nothing. If MS says other thing it's just PR bullshit like 'the power of the cloud' for Crackdown 3 and Mylo's miracle AI.

Last edited:

yurinka

Widely reported by the press. Pretty much confirmed.
In this case, as usual, gaming press just copy pastes random news stuff from other outlets posted without verifying on their own. Often this rumor info has as source stuff posted on Twitter, reddit or even 4chan by random unknown or unreliable users who claim to be 'leakers' or 'insiders', but instead most of the time are just bored fanboys mading up stuff without proper insider info, like in this case Grub, an xbox fanboy who we saw lied many times when mentioning stuff that was going to be announced or shown in E3/summer.

Instead of leaking E3 stuff he was only guessing stuff like we did, and like us he got some predictions right and some wrong. So no, the only source claiming Kojima signed with MS is Grub, who isn't reliable. Kojima instead just announced a game for PlayStation Studios and tweets MGS1 PlayStation stuff and is 'planning' using a mouse pad that has a Hermen Hulst picture.

And if we have to believe Grub when are we supposed to believe him, back in the time when he said Kojima already signed the game with MS and was developing it or now when he says they only signed a (non-legally binding) letter of intention of developing a game for MS's platform which means they didn't even start developing the game? He's only an xbox fanboy lying and spreading fud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom