• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2's peak CCU outperformed Bleeding Edge and is still climbing on Steam

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When a thread earlier today said the game had a weak launch on Steam half of the people bashed it saying that it was too early to tell.

This game isnt going to get more than 6k concurrent players

That might have been me. This is disappointing to see. I was expecting 8k-10k concurrent as the high from HB2.

Draugoth

Gold Member
should stood ur ground.

stand on business.

This game was never going to sell, it should have been on PS5. Probably will be.

Yeah, butbl that's totally on me because i really dislike being involved in drama...

Either way Hellblade 2 is a 5 hour long linear game and not a 100 hour long journey piece like Elden Ring, numbers wouldnt pile up.

Last edited:

Astray

That's just not the case. Video and sound difference are quite key to the game's experience. You also have feedback from the controller during combat along with the immersion of turning the lights off along with a pair of headphones. It's really not at all the same as watching a video, especially one with an annoying streamer talking. I'm sure the video watchers will have something to say about the gameplay experience, though.
I think with this game that IS the case.

It's too shallow in gameplay (1st 40 mins are apparently just walking forward, around ~%11-13 of total runtime!) to trigger that "I can do this better" moment, and I don't expect that it has enough wow moments to really drive sales conversion via streamers.

This game simply arrived too late, if it arrived earlier it would have been a decent launch title that fills the early showcase niche, and its prestige factor would have fit more with Microsoft's 2017-2023 mentality, in 2024? Microsoft are about ROI and ROI alone, and this title sadly won't bring it.

Thaedolus

It's too shallow in gameplay (1st 40 mins are apparently just walking forward, around ~%11-13 of total runtime!) to trigger that "I can do this better" moment, and I don't expect that it has enough wow moments to really drive sales conversion via streamers.

This game simply arrived too late, if it arrived earlier it would have been a decent launch title that fills the early showcase niche, and its prestige factor would have fit more with Microsoft's 2017-2023 mentality, in 2024? Microsoft are about ROI and ROI alone, and this title sadly won't bring it.
This sounds like why I turned off Resident Evil 6 in like the first 30 minutes back when it came out

Mr Moose

But that’s a last gen game made on a GPU that PC gamers were rocking in 2011.

And hellblade 2 isnt the only game. Avatar, Alan Wake 2, Callisto, all flopped hard on PC.
Alan Wake 2 isn't on Steam. Would be interesting to see it's CCU, do Epic do that shit?

I've played and watched it. It's not the same.

First of all ninja theory are no longer independent so no longer fall in to that category (and haven't done for the entire duration of the development of this game).

Second of all, yes there are actually, dozens of cinematic/walking simulator/exploration focused games get released on Steam every year from independent developers. It's just that they don't get this kind of fanfare because they aren't "exclusive" to Xbox.

Some of the best ones that launched in recent years:

Pretty much all of the games above have far more gameplay than Hellblade 2 does as well. Knock yourself out.

Just to add to what you said, 2 excellent cinematic style games released in the last month itself: Indika and 1000xResist. They are cheaper and longer than HB2 as well.

yurinka

I remember in the ABK acquisition days claiming that MS had a gaming monopoly. I see now that they meant, these numbers clearly show it. Sony and Nintendo will go bankrupt tomorrow, I can see Hermen crying at his throne.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I am so fucking done with the goofy adult daycare vibes in the tech industry.

You don't have to slave away in a cubicle under fluorescent light for 8 hours but jesus christ.
If this were a small studio of passionate nerds who worked their asses off and made a shitload of profit, it might be appropriate.

When it’s a medium sized studio that made a handful of mildly successful games, got bought by a company with deep pockets, then spent 7 freaking years to make a 5-hour game that sells for $50….. yeah, not a good look.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alan Wake 2 isn't on Steam. Would be interesting to see it's CCU, do Epic do that shit?
nah, but sales wise it flopped according to remedy themselves. and we all know steam players dont buy games on epic out of some bizarre loyalty to a store.

YuLY

But that’s a last gen game made on a GPU that PC gamers were rocking in 2011.
It was a last gen game on PS4. This is Director's Cut version and looks phenomenal.

Alan Woke 2 failed cause you play as a black woman for half the game, PC gamers smell shit like that, it is why they made the Stinky Baby group on Steam.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This isn't my first account.😘

So what was your previous GAF account? I'm curious. cause I wasn't an active poster whenever MS acquired NT. Wondering who you're recalling as me 🤔

They got a taste of their own medicine and now they keep crying about it.

5ZhXMjr.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Eh, I just did an inflation calculator on that

$30usd in 2017 is equivalent to $38.37

Games in general are something like 17% more expensive ($60-$70 standard game price increase)

38.37 increased by 17% is 44.89.

So it's maybe 10% up on what the original cost when you adjust for inflation and take into account the increased cost of games in general.

I imagine it was a more expensive production than the original game, so there's that too.

Do you think wages have also gone up by 17% in the same time?

nowhat

I do think Xbox really need to start doing some classic basic advertising for their games though.

TV/YouTube adverts, billboards or on the side buses/bus stops, stuff you frequently see everyday.

Because whatever they are doing advert wise really isn't working for them imo.
I watch broadcast TV very seldom nowadays, so Youtube is where I get any kind of ads. While this isn't representative of the ad landscape as a whole, it's also targeted advertising - Google knows very well I'm into gaming, so I'm a prime candidate for gaming related ads.

I feel I've seen more ads for Penny's Big Breakaway (great game BTW) this year than I have for all Xbox/MS console/game ads for the past few years combined. Granted, Diablo 4 does pop every now and then (but most of that was pre-acquisition), but beyond that, nothing. And it's not a recent phenomena, as said this has been going on for years. It's like they gave up the fight way earlier than what recent news would have you believe.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Mine haven't, but that's not the point. Practically all console games are more expensive than they were last gen is the point.

Console game prices went up BEFORE inflation got crazy high.

PS5 launch in 2020 was when Sony raised the price of their games from 70 euro to 80 euro.

Inflation went through the roof in 2022.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Console game prices went up BEFORE inflation got crazy high.

PS5 launch in 2020 was when Sony raised the price of their games from 70 euro to 80 euro.

Inflation went through the roof in 2022.

So even more reason for Ninja Theory's first next gen-game to cost more?

I don't think it's a big deal that this game, which appears to have significantly higher production values attached to it than the previous game, costs more than it's predecessor, even if there was no inflation or game price increase to take into account.

But, there are those factors as well.

I saw indika on the PS store today

Is it actually good?
I have not played it personally, just going off the reviews. To be honest, I do not have patience for these kind of games. Currently playing through MH Rise alongside my son, that game has got its tentacles in me, I might build a new PC/buy PS5 pro for MH Wilds.

Gaelyon

I watch broadcast TV very seldom nowadays, so Youtube is where I get any kind of ads. While this isn't representative of the ad landscape as a whole, it's also targeted advertising - Google knows very well I'm into gaming, so I'm a prime candidate for gaming related ads.

I feel I've seen more ads for Penny's Big Breakaway (great game BTW) this year than I have for all Xbox/MS console/game ads for the past few years combined. Granted, Diablo 4 does pop every now and then (but most of that was pre-acquisition), but beyond that, nothing. And it's not a recent phenomena, as said this has been going on for years. It's like they gave up the fight way earlier than what recent news would have you believe.
You're right but honestly how can underdog Microsoft could have the budget for advertising their $80 billions worth studios ?
Thinking Think GIF by Adam Lambert

damidu

OOd1ySI.jpeg

It's clear that HB2 is not going to pass its first day CCU peak ever again. Today at 15:00 local time there are 1854 players. That's 1000 players less than yesterday at the same time. (2894 players).
$15 price in like 2-3 months time will give it some push. it clearly bombed hard at current ridiculous price

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean I have gamepass ultimate so...
Yeah I signed back up for gamepass to play this - you would have to be nuts to pay $50 for this rather than getting to choose between 5 months of gamepass or a $40 discount. If you want to own it, just play it on gamepass now and buy it for $10 in a year or so.

Pelta88

The most interesting to watch is if MS let’s NT return to their indie status… An indie studio with a history of working with their competitors, including original ip like Heavenly Sword. Or forces them to close down entirely.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The most interesting to watch is if MS let’s NT return to their indie status… An indie studio with a history of working with their competitors, including original up like Heavenly Sword. Or forces them to close down entirely.
I think NT will be fine, they have the ability to make amazing games in UE5 and I doubt MS wants to lose that. They probably won't get to make whatever they want anymore though - my guess is their next game will have more mainstream appeal.

Pelta88

I think NT will be fine, they have the ability to make amazing games in UE5 and I doubt MS wants to lose that. They probably won't get to make whatever they want anymore though - my guess is their next game will have more mainstream appeal.

I don’t think they’ll be fine. By closing Tango, MS proved they care about the numbers not the quality of the ip itself.

Also being forced into making ip as opposed to being creative, for a studio like NT with an indie history/culture, is probably worse than being closed. Bungie did everything possible to get out of that exact situation.

Top Bottom