• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us - Review Thread

xray49er

I did not play the game, just isn't my bag of tea, but I am looking forward to the show. I am glad it is reviewing well, this will be must watch with wifey every Sunday night.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Game was cheaper than a box of coco pops after a month.
Late Night Haters GIF by VH1

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Where the hell did you get that figure?

It should be around 11-12 million copies based on 37 million copies sales pr.

TLOU+Remastered - 23-24M(20 million units in 2019)
TLOU part 2 - 11-12M(10 million in march 2022)
TLOU part 1 remake - 1-2M

14 may be high, you're right. But I'd think TLOU2 would be at 12 million at worse.

23M for TLOU + Remastered
13M for TLOU2
1M for TLOU Part 1 Remake

Remember these are "sell-through" numbers, not shipped. We know that TLOU1 Remake hasn't sold well already.

Plus his arc was practically finished, I really appreciate the way the decided to end it, impactful and for his arc to pass with it to someone else. Masterfully done and definitely elevates the experience.

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

Some that FINALLY GETS IT! People stupidly think TLOU is a "Joel" series and it's not at all. It's was always more about Ellie, than Joel. Neil even said that when the first game released.

Kar

now 97% after 57 reviews

Reliable voices like:

The "everything, ever, is woke"
"why is the 14 year old girl not sexy?"
"joel shouldn't have died! cuckmann is a shill"
"abby is a trans"

crowd?

Those people are retarded. We should ignore them.
Yeah, I wonder with which party was jeffrey epstein affiliated with, but keep projecting :messenger_beermugs:
Everything woke turns to shit.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yeah, I wonder with which party was jeffrey epstein affiliated with, but keep projecting :messenger_beermugs:
Everything woke turns to shit.
What?

This has nothing to do with Jeffery Epstein

Where did that even come from

JaksGhost

Good lord. The first episode starts on Jan 15th but it doesn't end until March. Why do they do this stupid shit. 3 months for 1 season...
This is network television, not a streaming only series. It has a regular time slot on HBO's network and the episodes will be released once that date and time arrives. Just like Game of Thrones, House of Dragon, Chernobyl, and every other release on the network. Same goes for shows on Showtime, AMC, etc.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
14 may be high, you're right. But I'd think TLOU2 would be at 12 million at worse.

23M for TLOU + Remastered
13M for TLOU2
1M for TLOU Part 1 Remake

Remember these are "sell-through" numbers, not shipped. We know that TLOU1 Remake hasn't sold well already.
Being that you didn't reply to my question, but have now revised your number down by two million units, I'll ask for receipts on TLOUP1 as well.

I mean most people have already seen his brains squashed once before (Game of Thrones).

Heeey… typecasting much?
I was going to start GOT this week.

I wont stop till I find you. This is the last time you spoil a show for anyone.

jk idc im type being forced to watch it. im even being offered a reward.

skit_data

I was going to start GOT this week.

I wont stop till I find you. This is the last time you spoil a show for anyone.

jk idc im type being forced to watch it. im even being offered a reward.
Sorry, I assumed it was common knowledge at this point that almost everyone dies horrible deaths in GoT :( It’s still very much worth watching, at least up to the 7th season which is where they lost track. Let’s just say I’m not sure the books will depict the events in the same way the series did.
I actually got spoiled about end events in the House of the Dragon that is probably at least 2-3 seasons away (since that story is pretty much printed and finished) by a big HotD fan account on twitter which I feel was a wierd thing to do a fan base that largely consists of people that haven’t read all books.

I’m intrigued about this reward? What does it consist of?

Last edited:
Remaking TLOU 1 always made perfect sense despite the few complaints from people.

The main reason being is they are releasing the series on PC.

There would be no point putting out the remaster on PC. It makes perfect sense to remake it to today's standards before releasing.

Also they'll want to release Part 1 on PC before Part 2.

In short with the upcoming TV show it makes a lot more sense to have remade the games so both PC releases can be of similar fidelity, quality and match today's standards of polish.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
With these reviews, it's obviously going to be good.

Surely, there's enough TV content to know it's good or not?

I'm really hoping it's going to be great, plus an hour a week isn't really disrespecting your time unless it's absolute shit tier.

Can't wait to watch it.

Just think, if they stay 100% true to the game, Joel will eventually end up being brutally murdered with a golf club.

I wonder if they are thinking about a more focused timeline that mirrors the games closely, which will mean they can't spin 10 seasons out of it.

Or, whether they'll begin to add new story beats that effectively prolongs the first games story and punts the inevitable death of Joel down the road... perhaps forever.

After all, if they do stick to the games story beats there's only so many episodes they can make before time moves on and they have to think about the second game.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Just think, if they stay 100% true to the game, Joel will eventually end up being brutally murdered with a golf club.

I wonder if they are thinking about a more focused timeline that mirrors the games closely, which will mean they can't spin 10 seasons out of it.

Or, whether they'll begin to add new story beats that effectively prolongs the first games story and punts the inevitable death of Joel down the road... perhaps forever.

After all, if they do stick to the games story beats there's only so many episodes they can make before time moves on and they have to think about the second game.
The show could fix "some" things of part 2. I remember someone saying that the beginning of part 2 was a little rushed since originally Abby and co were supposed to infiltrate Jackson and gain their trust.

That already sounds leagues better than the game where Abby bumps into Joel on her first day in the area.

Last edited:

kyussman

I don't really watch tv shows anymore but I'll give the first episode a go and if it's really great may watch the rest.....bit difficult to get excited about a new tv show when I already know all the plot beats and how it ends.

I can honestly see a situation where Druckmann wants to subvert expectations again... and kills off Ellie instead.
This won't happen and wouldn't make sense anyway. They would have to change the entire script from the 2nd game.

They will probably do season 2 and 3 based of the 2nd game and then maybe one or 2 more seasons to wrap it up.

The hate comments you see on Youtube, especially the ones referencing "cuckman" tell you all you need to know about who the haters are. You have this coalition of haters from incels, RW fanatics, and Xbox fanboys who are filled with venom at this franchise.

Absolutely will get review bombed day 1.
This won't happen and wouldn't make sense anyway. They would have to change the entire script from the 2nd game.

They will probably do season 2 and 3 based of the 2nd game and then maybe one or 2 more seasons to wrap it up.

Not sure they'll split the second game into two parts. Especially if they didn't for the first season. There really isn't a clean place to make this cut.

The 2nd game is longer, but there is less of the relationship between Ellie and Joel, a lot of is filler with bigger action set pieces and larger areas of exploration.

But no, I don't think they'd drastically change P2.

I think Season 3 will be based on P3, which will close the chapter on Ellie's story. Her biggest fear was being left alone, which she basically is at the end of P2. P3 will probably be her journey trying to get her family back and a sort of redemption arc for her and Abby, with Abby helping save her family or something.

Hugare

The show could fix "some" things of part 2. I remember someone saying that the beginning of part 2 was a little rushed since originally Abby and co were supposed to infiltrate Jackson and gain their trust.

That already sounds leagues better than the game where Abby bumps into Joel on her first day in the area.
They are 100% making it like that.

I'm pretty sure that Neil isnt satisfied with how rushed Abby/Joel meeting went in the game.

Part II will probably be divided in 2 seasons. It's a much longer game with way more characters.

They can end 2nd season with Abby appearing at the movie theater, and 3rd begins with her perspective.

Bartski

Gold Member
Anyine knows if this is a global synced drop at hbo max? I’d be happy to watch it live with you all but not at 3 am Monday

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The hate comments you see on Youtube, especially the ones referencing "cuckman" tell you all you need to know about who the haters are. You have this coalition of haters from incels, RW fanatics, and Xbox fanboys who are filled with venom at this franchise.

Absolutely will get review bombed day 1.

Not sure they'll split the second game into two parts. Especially if they didn't for the first season. There really isn't a clean place to make this cut.

The 2nd game is longer, but there is less of the relationship between Ellie and Joel, a lot of is filler with bigger action set pieces and larger areas of exploration.

I think Season 3 will be based on P3, which will close the chapter on Ellie's story. Her biggest fear was being left alone, which she basically is at the end of P2. P3 will probably be her journey trying to get her family back and a sort of redemption arc for her and Abby, with Abby helping save her family or something.
I would be very surprised if they dont split the 2nd part into 2 seasons, the show sounds like its gonna be a monster hit for HBO so why wouldnt you wanna prolong that, theres plenty of shit in the 2nd game to split over 2 seasons alongwith all the other stuff they're adding in

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that Neil isnt satisfied with how rushed Abby/Joel meeting went in the game.

Part II will probably be divided in 2 seasons. It's a much longer game with way more characters.

They can end 2nd season with Abby appearing at the movie theater, and 3rd begins with her perspective.
TLOU3 is coming ASAP. I could see 2 seasons for game 1. 3 seasons for game 2. Gives the guy like 4 more years to get that out the door before he is George RR Martin'd.

Anyone see the clip of Joel Tommy and Sarah in the car?

It's so like the game it's uncanny.

Gabriel Luna has Tommy down to a T. Very impressive

Last edited:
TLOU3 is coming ASAP. I could see 2 seasons for game 1. 3 seasons for game 2. Gives the guy like 4 more years to get that out the door before he is George RR Martin'd.

I always said it makes sense to go straight in TLOU 3 next so the series can be wrapped up with all games on the one system and of similar quality and fidelity.

Also doing so allows the HBO show to be released without a massive hiatus. It would all tie together really well imo.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if they dont split the 2nd part into 2 seasons, the show sounds like its gonna be a monster hit for HBO so why wouldnt you wanna prolong that, theres plenty of shit in the 2nd game to split over 2 seasons alongwith all the other stuff they're adding in

The same would have been true of season 1. I just don't think we'll see a split. There isn't a big enough Part 2 mid finale to compare to Part 1's finale.

Separately,

I'm such a fan of the history here.

There could be a Last of Us HBO show without a lot of things happening.

First the kind of birth of long form TV with The West Wing, but more to the point The Wire, and the Sopranos.

Netflix modeled their original content after HBO and we got House of Cards. Without House of Cards, I don't think we have the streaming business quite how it is today.

It also took somewhat of a failure for the PS3 for Sony to really to invest heavily into TLOU1 and invest in their own software. It also took the success of God of War and Uncharted for Sony to really invest in software development. I also wonder if there is no walking dead, if TLOU1 is created.

It further probably took the success of the Witcher to really get full buy in to make the Last of Us.

Will be curious to see how the Last of Us impacts video games and tv going forward. Development started in 2009, but who knows how the budget and direction was impacted by 2010s Walking Dead.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It's not that deep, the spores aren't there because they want the actors showing their faces in scenes that require tension and horror against the infected. It's a creative adaptation that helps with the product being a TV show
I don't like the lack of spores, personally, but then again I didn't like what I saw in TLOU Pt II leaks before I played the game. Then when I saw the same scenes again in the context of playing the game, they made a lot more sense.

I'm going to trust that the guy who made Chernobyl and those on his team know what they're doing here.

The 2nd game is almost twice as big as the first game...but who knows...maybe you're right.

As long as the Rat king is there, let's go!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I also wonder if there is no walking dead, if TLOU1 is created.
I'm sorry, I'm confused by the comment.
Are you suggesting TWD wouldn't have happened 3 years prior if it wasn't for TLOU?
James Franco Reaction GIF

You probably worded it wrong, because you can't mean that.

Last edited:

Pelta88

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pages/collections

Scroll down to PS4 and PS5. Only list full games and sort by best selling. Last of Us Remake climbing fast on PS5, and Last of Us 2 charting top 5 on PS4 currently.

I don't disagree with the point you're making. There will be a huge increase in TLOU sales Pre screening, first week, and season finale. However the method you're using isn't indicative until Sony publishes it's monthly sales list.

But again, TLOU sales are about to spike.

Interfectum

I don't disagree with the point you're making. There will be a huge increase in TLOU sales Pre screening, first week, and season finale. However the method you're using isn't indicative until Sony publishes it's monthly sales list.

But again, TLOU sales are about to spike.
It's more of a useful guide than actual proof. Amazon, PSN, PSN Profiles help guess what is hitting big at the current moment. I expect these lists to be more obvious in the next few weeks with an uptick across all. I wish the game was out on Steam now because that would be one of the best pieces of evidence.

This list will be one to watch: https://psnprofiles.com/games?order=popular

Both TLOU 1 and 2 are on an upward trend but nothing huge yet, I expect this to be more interesting within a month.

Last edited:

I like that season 3 idea! Round 2 of hours upon hours dedicated to a character audiences hate, with your old favorites no where in sight.

The point of making a story should always be to put as much effort in getting the audience attached to characters and certain scenarios, then withholding and goining neener neener.

Top Bottom