• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Any Of You Gamed With DOLBY ATMOS?

RasAlGhoul

I will have to disagree that its marketing hype but I will say getting it tuned correctly is the issue. Every room is different.

Did you use a calibration tool?

Sure did. And opinions are opinions. To me it’s all hype. To you it’s not. That’s fine.

RasAlGhoul

i didnt say it wasn't fine. Simply trying to help you out. If you dont want it then thats cool.

I mean it’s fine to have different opinions. That’s fine.

I’ve been a pretty hardcore audio nerd for 20+ years. I do know what I’m doing. But I understand that many do not.

No need to be so defensive.

Tiamat2san

I’ve tried with gears 5 and 4.
it’s amazing!
the sound « texture » is incredible.
i need to try borderland 3 and COD Too.
thanks for the list.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I mean it’s fine to have different opinions. That’s fine.

I’ve been a pretty hardcore audio nerd for 20+ years. I do know what I’m doing. But I understand that many do not.

No need to be so defensive.

Im not defensive. You started with the,

" Sure did. And opinions are opinions. To me it’s all hype. To you it’s not. That’s fine."

which to me came off as you stating that you really dont care what someone else thinks. So I simply said I never insinuated that your opinion is invalid but simply I don't agree.

Simply was trying to gauge your setup and see if I could offer some help one audio nerd to another poster. Clearly I read the temperature wrong. Have a good day.

Jaxcellent

I have a nice 5.1.2 Atmos setup, Only play consoles PS4/PRO only support it in movies, not in games unfortunately, (but anybody correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't own any Xbox games that have a Atmos soundtrack but It triggers it in some games on my OGXbone, I imagine it is making an upmix or something, it does sound really full, very nice, I also like to play the trailers from the Xbox Atmos App.

I hear The XSex will support it in games, which I presume will be awesome in something like Cyberpunk.

Laptop1991

I still use my ZXR with DD or DTS on my 5.1 speakers, but i'm reading Atmos can deliver 3d sound without the the need for 5 speakers, so that sounds good, and will save a few quid as well.

Jaxcellent

I still use my ZXR with DD or DTS on my 5.1 speakers, but i'm reading Atmos can deliver 3d sound without the the need for 5 speakers, so that sounds good, and will save a few quid as well.
It has alot to do with the product, so many product claim to be Atmos or whatever but I'm not sure if every product performs/sounds the same kind of amazing.

for Home cinema it's basically upfiring speakers, so the sound hits the cealing and you hear it above you, creating together with the existing 5.1 this can create great 3D sound simulation, but you can also do the extra work and mount normal-ish cealing speakers.
I'm sure there are-all in-one speaker devices available I never tested them.

I like Atmos, it's the next evolution I think, i never went with 7.1 or something, but the 2 extra hight channels are pretty cool, if it works correctly it can adds something meaningfull. I don't think its hype but then again not a lot of movies support it, with xbox backing this tech, it could become the gold standard for gaming...

Laptop1991

It has alot to do with the product, so many product claim to be Atmos or whatever but I'm not sure if every product performs/sounds the same kind of amazing.

for Home cinema it's basically upfiring speakers, so the sound hits the cealing and you hear it above you, creating together with the existing 5.1 this can create great 3D sound simulation, but you can also do the extra work and mount normal-ish cealing speakers.
I'm sure there are-all in-one speaker devices available I never tested them.

I like Atmos, it's the next evolution I think, i never went with 7.1 or something, but the 2 extra hight channels are pretty cool, if it works correctly it can adds something meaningfull. I don't think its hype but then again not a lot of movies support it, with xbox backing this tech, it could become the gold standard for gaming...

It sounds good if it get's enough support. i had 7.1 for a while 15 years ago now, with EAX, but it was too many speakers really and the support stopped eventually i really liked EAX, and even though i still use my Z5500 on my pc, which are over 10 years old now, i just have a soundbar for my tv, so i would support Atmos for movies etc on my tv, i'm happy with my older set up on PC at the minute though.

recursive

I tried assassins creed origins on xbox one x. I only have upfiring fron atmos speakers. I could tell a difference in the sound but not so much that it ruined a traditional 5.1 experience. In ceiling speakers probably provide a much better experience. I notice the atmos effect more in movies.

I played division 2 on ps4 so was not aware it supported atmos on one x. I will have to give it a try.

skneogaf

Pretty sure battlefield 1 is dolby atmos and dolby vision on pc.

So is the newest need for speed game I believe.

Siri

Banned
Any Atmos install that doesn't involve actual overhead speakers is a waste. Soundbars and upfiring speakers are not worthwhile.

The Sonos Arc blows away all other soundbars, the majority of which don’t even support Atmos. As far as overhead speakers are concerned I’m not cutting holes in my roof.

You don’t have to tell me what’s worthwhile, chief. I love my sound setup.

It is my most anticipated feature. It was excellent in RDR2 with DSurround, which is just an algorithm that separates the height channels instead of object based. It shouldn't be missed. But wait for December AVR sales, look for eARC, dont use it until it is ironed out on TVs next year, and enjoy Atmos through your receiver until 120hz, VRR is ready for primetime.

evanft

The Sonos Arc blows away all other soundbars, the majority of which don’t even support Atmos. As far as overhead speakers are concerned I’m not cutting holes in my roof.

Being the world's best soundbar is like being the world's tallest midget.

DJT123

I'm trying Windows Sonic now at the office with powerful headphones. Not really noticing a difference, still. What should I fiddle with/ listen for?

"Both Atmos and Sonic can create an immersive sphere of sound or dome effect around the listener. This enables them to hear positional sounds in a complete 3D arc ‘above’ them too This effect is more important in video games when the player is engaged in combat with multiple enemies spread out in different areas of the map. When the enemy approaches from the left, the player knows to respond to the left instead of randomly scouting the map to spot the enemy. "
<- making sense now

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Being the world's best soundbar is like being the world's tallest midget.

My LG C9 is being used as a monitor for my PC - this isn’t a theatre setup.

I have the Arc right in front of me, and the two satellites and the subwoofer directly behind me, all underneath a wooden bench. The satellites and the subwoofer (both completely out of sight) are wireless so there’s zero mess, and the installation over the Internet took ten seconds.

The Arc itself is substantial, and combined with the two satellites and the sub, delivers the best sound I’ve ever heard. Granted, a snobbish audiophile would find fault with the setup, but I’d bet money that 95% of normal people would be seriously impressed with the sound, especially listening to a modern movie with Atmos enabled.

Also, this sound setup, being for my pc, has me one foot away from the Arc, and two feet away from the satellites and the subwoofer - and me right in the middle. When I’m watching a movie, or listening to music, I can feel the sound throughout my body, and it’s awesome.

I’m sorry, but your belittling comment just isn’t appreciated.

I have with my A50s on xbox one x. Im not an audiophile so ill be honest, im not sure i really heard a huge difference compared to before. Sounds have always been good imo.

DJT123

Trying Windows Sonic with nice headphones and a good game and yeah, I'm noticing stuff. There are alot more subtler sounds that I wasn't picking up on before, like my dudes heart beating fast after injecting Stims in Wasteland 3. It's free too! Thanks Microsoft.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
HOW THE BLOODY FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE THIS SHIT WORK IN WINDOWS 10 HOLY FUCKING FUCK SHIT PISS FUCK
I JUST WASTED BLOODY 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE GETTING THIS FUCKING SHIT TO WORK ON WINDOWS 10 AND GEARS 5 REFUSES TO FUCKING MAKE ANY SOUND WHILE MY RECEIVER SAYS ITS FUCKING RECEIVING ATMOS SOUND ??!?!?!?!?!!? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!

fyi on my xbox one x it's piss easy just select dolby atmos and you are done.. Fuck man i don't know where to start :pie_roffles:
fuck windows 10
fuck pc gaming
fuck this absolute wank of an OS
fuck the windows store too fuck that shit tier garbage shit

Last edited:
I've not really read too much into this but can someone explain. I have a pair of bose qc35ii headphones. If I connect it to a series X controller via 3.5mm jack.... And buy the atmos license.... And load up a compatible atmos game... It will work and sound better?

jaysius

Banned
HOW THE BLOODY FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE THIS SHIT WORK IN WINDOWS 10 HOLY FUCKING FUCK SHIT PISS FUCK
I JUST WASTED BLOODY 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE GETTING THIS FUCKING SHIT TO WORK ON WINDOWS 10 AND GEARS 5 REFUSES TO FUCKING MAKE ANY SOUND WHILE MY RECEIVER SAYS ITS FUCKING RECEIVING ATMOS SOUND ??!?!?!?!?!!? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!

fyi on my xbox one x it's piss easy just select dolby atmos and you are done.. Fuck man i don't know where to start :pie_roffles:
fuck windows 10
fuck pc gaming

That's a WIndow's and Dolby working together problem.

Does whatever video card your outputting through HDMI support Dolby Atmos?

I'm not sure where you would go on a PC but if you're LPCM sending signal to your AVR, maybe just try Bitstream for that one game.

As for headphone use, I think the DTS:X sounds better with headphones, as they have individual headphone profiles.

I've not really read too much into this but can someone explain. I have a pair of bose qc35ii headphones. If I connect it to a series X controller via 3.5mm jack.... And buy the atmos license.... And load up a compatible atmos game... It will work and sound better?

I'm not sure if anything can help your Bose headphones :messenger_tears_of_joy: . But yes, what you describe is how to make it work, you can trial the license and trial the DTS:X one, see which one sounds better to you.

Last edited:

I'm not sure where you would go on a PC but if you're LPCM sending signal to your AVR, maybe just try Bitstream for that one game.

As for headphone use, I think the DTS:X sounds better with headphones, as they have individual headphone profiles.

I'm not sure if anything can help your Bose headphones :messenger_tears_of_joy: . But yes, what you describe is how to make it work, you can trial the license and trial the DTS:X one, see which one sounds better to you.

I'm not an audiophile but I would notice improvements. Do bose headphones have a bad rep or something? I've got these free with my phone 2 years ago and always thought the sounds was great.

Spukc

i have the RTX 3080.
there are so so so many people having issues with this.. i think i don't need all this dumb shit on windows 10. My receiver should understand the signal my pc sends and do its
work.

Last edited:

A.Romero

fuck windows 10
fuck pc gaming

Have you tried playing a different sound while the game is minimized and see if there is any output from your speakers? I've seen Windows 10 not showing the Atmos option but never what you describe.

Reallink

Windows 10 is a shitshow with Atmos, many people have problems. Do the Atmos demos in the Windows store Atmos app produce sound?.

jaysius

Banned
I'm not an audiophile but I would notice improvements. Do bose headphones have a bad rep or something? I've got these free with my phone 2 years ago and always thought the sounds was great.

You can test on Xbox One and PC for free Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, you'll notice a simulated 3d environment in your headphones, some people like it, some hate it. I prefer the DTS:X simulation myself.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
it should work fine with a pair of the steelseries 7x, right?

Spukc

Have you tried playing a different sound while the game is minimized and see if there is any output from your speakers? I've seen Windows 10 not showing the Atmos option but never what you describe.
I basically installed the dolby access app on windows 10. Set everything up. My receiver is seen by this app. I can play the demo video in the app. My receiver tells me it's getting dolby atmos. But when i fucking try to play anything on youtube i hear nothing.
And ofc gears 5 won't work or any other dolby atmos supported game..

so the dolby access app PLAYS dolby atmos.. everything else ? fuck you..
what an absolute joke,

When i connect my bloody xbox one x? Plug and play.
windows 10 is a joke

I just want to play gears 5 in 4k @120 + dolby fucking atmos ON MY PC

Last edited:
The barrier of entry is too high.. and WTF, you had a decent sound setup and you didn't know that HDMI could carry the audio?

Most of the difference you noticed probably comes from using a decent sound system as opposed to your PC's speakers.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I ordered a Steelseries Arctics 9X. To use Dolby Atmos, I need to download the Dolby Atmos app on my Series X and purchase the license? One time fee?

jaysius

Banned
I ordered a Steelseries Arctics 9X. To use Dolby Atmos, I need to download the Dolby Atmos app on my Series X and purchase the license? One time fee?

Some of the higher end headsets come with a code to get it free.

But it is only a one time fee, and it's for all Xbox consoles AND Windows PC.

A.Romero

I basically installed the dolby access app on windows 10. Set everything up. My receiver is seen by this app. I can play the demo video in the app. My receiver tells me it's getting dolby atmos. But when i fucking try to play anything on youtube i hear nothing.
And ofc gears 5 won't work or any other dolby atmos supported game..

so the dolby access app PLAYS dolby atmos.. everything else ? fuck you..
what an absolute joke,

When i connect my bloody xbox one x? Plug and play.
windows 10 is a joke

I just want to play gears 5 in 4k @120 + dolby fucking atmos ON MY PC

As far as I know the app is just for upconverting a stereo signal (or any signal) to Atmos.

When you have your Receiver as your audio device it should give you the option to select Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, Atmos and any other set up your receiver supports. I have mine unplugged, otherwise I'd send you a picture.

Read this carefully: https://appuals.com/how-to-set-up-dolby-atmos-spatial-sound-on-windows-10/

I'm using an Onkyo receiver with a MSI 2080 Super and have no issues. Specially since last year's Windows updates it has been working great. It was much more of a mess before.

If you are not listening to anything at all regardless of the source, I'd be inclined to think that the sound is being output to another device but in that case your receiver should not read Atmos on it's screen.

Spukc

Shame to as dolby atmos rocksa
As far as I know the app is just for upconverting a stereo signal (or any signal) to Atmos.

When you have your Receiver as your audio device it should give you the option to select Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, Atmos and any other set up your receiver supports. I have mine unplugged, otherwise I'd send you a picture.

Read this carefully: https://appuals.com/how-to-set-up-dolby-atmos-spatial-sound-on-windows-10/

I'm using an Onkyo receiver with a MSI 2080 Super and have no issues. Specially since last year's Windows updates it has been working great. It was much more of a mess before.

If you are not listening to anything at all regardless of the source, I'd be inclined to think that the sound is being output to another device but in that case your receiver should not read Atmos on it's screen.
won't work i am done with this shit. No dolby atmos for windows 10. No reason it won't work too.. Retarded shit

A.Romero

Shame to as dolby atmos rocksa

won't work i am done with this shit. No dolby atmos for windows 10. No reason it won't work too.. Retarded shit

Shit man, sorry to hear.

If it's any consolation I have only used Atmos with Battlefield 1.

However, I always have that setting selected but I don't like upconverting so if the game only supports 5.1 that's what I use (most cases).

MDSLKTR

Got some nice Polk celing speakers that I'm about to setup this weekend for next weeks feast. I expect to sweat on Warzone :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Spukc

Shit man, sorry to hear.

If it's any consolation I have only used Atmos with Battlefield 1.

However, I always have that setting selected but I don't like upconverting so if the game only supports 5.1 that's what I use (most cases).
Yup dolby atmos is crazy good!

I also 65 c9 + Sonos arc.

same as HDR, I never know if is on or off (I see the logo or Dolby vision , Atmos logo). Sound the same as my old Sony 2.1, 5 years old bar.

sad

Spukc

I also 65 c9 + Sonos arc.

same as HDR, I never know if is on or off (I see the logo or Dolby vision , Atmos logo). Sound the same as my old Sony 2.1, 5 years old bar.

sad
To have dolby atmos sound good you will need a 5.4.2 set up or 5.2.2. No ceiling bouncing shit. Just 2 or 4 speakers ceiling mounted.

What you don’t need is a fucking windows 10 pc

evanft

Being the best soundbar in the world is like being the world's tallest dwarf.

Top Bottom