• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Any Of You Gamed With DOLBY ATMOS?

Siri

Banned
I have an RTX 2080 TI hooked up to a 55 inch LG C9 - and my sound source (for the tv) is a Sonos Arc.

Only yesterday did I realize that sound can pass from my PC to the LG to the Arc, meaning that (for gaming) I don’t actually need my pc speakers anymore.

I also discovered that there actually are pc games that support Dolby Atmos:

But you need this:

I’ve only tried out Dolby Atmos with one of these titles, The Division 2 (a game that didn’t grip me), and the results were just phenomenal. I felt like I was bathed in sound that was... alive. And it looks like Cyberpunk will have Atmos as well.

What do you guys think about this tech?

Is think they use something very similar in Hunt:Showdown? I've used what you have linked a while back, and in the games that support it, it IS fantastic. Just needs more native support. Tomb Raider was awesome with it.

Hostile_18

Banned
No PS4 games support it as far as I know. I had hoped the PS5 would as I have a nice Atmos setup that is incredible for movies.

Siri

Banned
Is think they use something very similar in Hunt:Showdown? I've used what you have linked a while back, and in the games that support it, it IS fantastic. Just needs more native support. Tomb Raider was awesome with it.

Tomb Raider! Yeah, I saw that. I’ll probably spend the weekend re-installing some of the games on the list, just to see how they sound with Atmos enabled. LOL.

Rikkori

With a proper 7.1.4? Yup, incredible. Granted I will also say this: sometimes I wanna go back to just headphones because it becomes TOO much, like in Gears 5. Maybe I have a distaste for prolonged periods of constant loudness (with gunfire & explosions and whatnot) but I have come to find that there is such a thing as too much immersion. It's not like with a movie where there's some scenes here and there when it goes into overdrive but then gets cut off by just normal listening.

Even just overall surround sound experience I find it works better in some more tame titles from a sound POV like Assassin's Creed rather than big bombastic constant gunfights type of games. It's very subjective in the end.

Siri

Banned
Holy shit...

I just got water-boarded in Modern Warfare, and when they poured the water on my head I could actually hear it all around, as though I was in the water, actually drowning.

Then they shot one of my compatriots in the head. Simply awesome.

adybrown

Neo Member
It's amazing. It's not just the actual 'Atmos' effects as they are pretty subtle anyway depending on the content but just the pure quality of the sound is streets ahead of games that don't support it.

I'm really disappointed the PS5 doesn't support Atmos but hopefully their 3D sound translates to an Atmos system just as well.

Siri

Banned
It's amazing. It's not just the actual 'Atmos' effects as they are pretty subtle anyway depending on the content but just the pure quality of the sound is streets ahead of games that don't support it.

I'm really disappointed the PS5 doesn't support Atmos but hopefully their 3D sound translates to an Atmos system just as well.

Yes! Atmos sound is more alive.

God damn.... you put all this stuff together... HDR, Ray Tracing, Dolby Atmos, OLED technology, Gsync, 4K.... and you’ve got a really immersive experience.

This is an exciting time to be a gamer. God I love my hobby!

GHG

You need speakers above your head right? So, yeah, no

You don't have to have them. Dependent on the quality of the speakers you have some can do a pretty good approximation. Obviously if you have the capability to get overhead speakers set up then that's best but it's not practical for everyone. I'd actually guess most people in this thread have "experienced" it via headphone approximations.

I've got a Sony HT Z9F paired with the rear wireless speakers and it does a really good job.

TriSuit666

Banned
You don't have to have them. Dependent on the quality of the speakers you have some can do a pretty good approximation. Obviously if you have the capability to get overhead speakers set up then that's best but it's not practical for everyone. I'd actually guess most people in this thread have "experienced" it via headphone approximations.

I've got a Sony HT Z9F paired with the rear wireless speakers and it does a really good job.

Most systems come with up-firing satellite speakers, or like you say, do some virtualisation of the sound by bouncing it off walls - no need to rip holes in your ceiling these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yes of course, it's excellent. I have it on both my computer and the Xbox. The difference between Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic is hard to miss.

Siri

Banned
Apparently Mass Effect Andromeda has Dolby Atmos AND Dolby Vision.

Really? One game supports Dolby Vision on the pc - I need to check this out after work. Too bad the h]game itself was such a letdown.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Apparently Mass Effect Andromeda has Dolby Atmos AND Dolby Vision.

Really? One game supports Dolby Vision on the pc - I need to check this out after work. Too bad the h]game itself was such a letdown.

Didn't know this was a thing.

Siri

Banned
Didn't know this was a thing.

I’m assuming it isn’t. I think that the person posting in that thread linked to above was probably just experiencing HDR for the first time.

I have to admit that prior to buying the LG C9 I thought HDR was sort of a gimmick. Yikes! HDR is transformative, and costs zero frames. It’s amazing tech.

Aladin

Atmos has been on samsung phones since ages. It does sound quite different, but i cannot decide if the non atmos sound is bad ! Resolution, Sound effects fly above my head.

MarkMe2525

I love that this works on regular old headphones. I used to use the "sonic" mixer for awhile but upgraded to Atmos a few months back. I'm enjoying it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I’m assuming it isn’t. I think that the person posting in that thread linked to above was probably just experiencing HDR for the first time.

I have to admit that prior to buying the LG C9 I thought HDR was sort of a gimmick. Yikes! HDR is transformative, and costs zero frames. It’s amazing tech.

Couple Google searches shows it was indeed available in Dolby Vision and Atmos on PC but the vision support was super finicky.

molly14

Tried dolby atmos through headphones on PC, sounds fucking amazing, and the bass is incredible.Cheap pair of headphones too.
Interested to hear what Sonys solution sounds like soon.

Last edited:

DJT123

I have decent speakers and a tried Windows Sonic and it seems a bit shit, lol. I'm sure Atmos is amazing in comparison, though.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My bad. I tried it with quality headphones. It didn't impress. Maybe should experiment some more.

Gotcha. I tend to find Sonic vs Atmos to be different but I dont know if I would give one the edge over the other. Granted I maybe have tried it with 4 or 5 games. I have an Atmos home setup so I rarely use the headphones.

llien

God forbid royalty free tech is used, it is absolutely gotta be some buzzwordy shit.

Last edited:

DJT123

Gotcha. I tend to find Sonic vs Atmos to be different but I dont know if I would give one the edge over the other. Granted I maybe have tried it with 4 or 5 games. I have an Atmos home setup so I rarely use the headphones.
Wow. Seems good for Sonic then. Maybe I really should check it out some more.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wow. Seems good for Sonic then. Maybe I really should check it out some more.

They use different techniques to get to the same result so they do sound different. I found Sonic to be a bit less dynamic but more accurate while Atmos has some deeper booms but sacrificed some of the accuracy.

DJT123

They use different techniques to get to the same result so they do sound different. I found Sonic to be a bit less dynamic but more accurate while Atmos has some deeper booms but sacrificed some of the accuracy.
I usually like fiddling with these sort of things but never really been a sound guy. Should be interesting, thanks for the info.

RasAlGhoul

Yes. I find atmos to pretty underwhelming in film and games. And that’s on a 5.1.2 system. No headphones or soundbars here.

RasAlGhoul

Whats your setup like?

Denon receiver, Klipsch reference II’s all around. And klipsch in ceiling speakers for my atmos.

It’s no bad. I just think it’s a very subtle thing and not drastically better than when I was just rocking the 5.1.

It’s a whole lot of marketing hype. And I bought the hype.

Last edited:

Gamerasi

The combination of Sennheiser rs 175, LGB7 and Gears 5 took the sound experience to the next level.

I'm excited for the performance of the Tempest sound engine with a dual-channel headset.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Denon receiver, Klipsch reference II’s all around. And klipsch in ceiling speakers for my atmos.

It’s no bad. I just think it’s a very subtle thing and not drastically better than when I was just rocking the 5.1.

It’s a whole lot of marketing hype. And I bought the hype.
I will have to disagree that its marketing hype but I will say getting it tuned correctly is the issue. Every room is different.

Did you use a calibration tool?

Top Bottom