• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Phil Spencer lost his Mind(share) with the Faithful?

Will Phil still be the head of Xbox on Jan 1, 2024?

• Total voters

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The sad reality is most average gamers are out of the loop nd don't care about the trial, let alone any internal e-mails. Meanwhile even the people who are invested in the case will forget about it within a few weeks when the CAT/CMA stuff kicks off and the merger deadline approaches. People have notoriously short and fickle memories.
This case is getting much more press than I had anticipted. Major news outlets seem to be following.

But I agree that the average person couldn’t care less or even knows.

Cant wait for Sara Bond to take Xbox, She knows nothing about games and have 0 taste in them, and when shit hit her, She is going to use the women and race card

Phil is going to leave because of his xbox stocks and retirement plan, suits retire early because they leech All the money from their company and fuck up the real workers like the dev teams

FrankWza

InfantileGreedyAmericancrayfish-size_restricted.gif

For any of you not familiar with Microsoft Evangelism: "Evangelism is War" please take a look at this MS internal memo, referenced on an anti-trust lawsuit dating back 2 decades ago:

https://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

There are many aspects and tenets to Microsoft Evangelism but of relevance, it purports creating a cult-like legion of supporters and followers, VIP or otherwise that promote Microsoft products and monopolistic practices with a cult like fervor - that regards MS competitors, direct or indirect as war participants that must be extinguished by any and all available means.

MS Evangelism is literally a philosophy of corporate religion, where the consumers, specially the hardcore, are the faithful, and guided by faith to the altar of Microsoft and its products. Microsoft being the church while microsoft employees and vips are the clergy

For my part I would love Sara Bond in that role, but that’s purely for selfish reasons.
Tell us why you want someone Who dont play games, never make games, never experience a full game development, should be Head of Xbox

She cant even mention a favorite game and always says is goldeneye because their stupid joke of her Last name

So why someone Who only have 6 years working in the industry should be Head of Xbox, 1 of the most important Jobs, over People Who work in the industry for 20+ years with more experience and time?

Astray

Gold Member
You can't lose popularity if you never actually had any to begin with.

The man's status is based entirely on MS astroturfing, and once he's gone the same shills will constantly shit on him like they did with Mattrick before him.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Tell us why you want someone Who dont play games, never make games, never experience a full game development, should be Head of Xbox

She cant even mention a favorite game and always says is goldeneye because their stupid joke of her Last name

So why someone Who only have 6 years working in the industry should be Head of Xbox, 1 of the most important Jobs, over People Who work in the industry for 20+ years with more experience and time?
Because of selfish reasons. I find her easy on the eyes. I was being facetious.

You don’t need someone who plays games as the head of a division either unless you plan on making them the face. I doubt Jim Ryan plays games and he seems to be doing alright.

Also why is the fact that she is a woman and black have anything to do with her business competence?

Last edited:

gow3isben

The reason Phil could say under oath that he would keep CoD multi platform indefinitely is because he knows after the 10 years he won’t be in a leadership position anymore to do anything about it when that inevitably changes.

Don’t believe his lies.

ZoukGalaxy

From now, with ALL what we learnt, every time he's going to open his dirty mouth, I will be like:

HEidgu6.jpg

But he will be definitely the head in 2024, a pathetic hypocrite opportunistic liar dickhead precisely, because I guess you can't be the head of anything without being a dick, well, except maybe the head of your dick.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I don't think there is such a thing as getting to Phil's level (in any industry) (even celebrity) without being ruthless. It seems to be par for the course. One doesn't get to that high of a position being a nice person.
I hear Tim Cook was somebody everybody was afraid of when he worked under Jobs.

Last edited:

You don’t need someone who plays games as the head of a division either unless you plan on making them the face. I doubt Jim Ryan plays games and he seems to be doing alright.

Also why is the fact that she is a woman and black have anything to do with her business competence?
Jim Ryan has been on PlayStation since Day 1, took him 15 years to be president of PlayStation Europe, and more the 20 to Become CEO, he has tons of experience, his resumee is X4 Longer then Sarah Bond

The current job of Sarah Bond is Similar of Hermen Hulst, but Hulst have 20+ Years in the industry and have actual experience in game development and managing a studio

So why is the fact that she is a woman and black have anything to do with her business competence?

Because She is a DIVERSITY HIRE, She dont have the profile to do what She does, there are 3 options for someone like her to have that kind of job without experience

1 Nepotism
2 She sleep with someone
3 Diversity Hire

And its number 3, In fact this is taken from her LinkedIn, her first job at Microsoft

Corporate Vice President | Gaming Partnerships & Business Development apr. 2017 - jun. 2020 3 years 3 months
Led Business Development, Partner Management and M&A for the Xbox Division. <br>Executive Sponsor of Blacks @ Microsoft Employee Resource Group.

Cant wait for Sara Bond to take Xbox, She knows nothing about games and have 0 taste in them, and when shit hit her, She is going to use the women and race card

Phil is going to leave because of his xbox stocks and retirement plan, suits retire early because they leech All the money from their company and fuck up the real workers like the dev teams

Elaborate on why you think she knows nothing about games and has “0 taste” in them. I’m just genuinely curious if you have any insight or are just so against a woman having that role. Though, the part later on where you are preemptively whining about her playing a hypothetical race/sex card kind of tells us all we need to know.

For the record, I think Bond is exactly who Spencer is planning on handing control over to once he decides to step down.

As for what she knows about games, I mean her education kind of speaks for itself, and you don’t need to be a hardcore gamer. Do you think these executives are sitting beside developers, giving them pointers on how to code or something? They’re looking at reports and are in meetings about numbers. And as for taste in games, do you think Bobby K has a great taste in games? I know mentioning Sony will stir the hive mind and their “#SonyToo” nonsense, but does Jim “why would anyone play PS1/2 games, they look ancient” Ryan have a great taste in games or something?

I don't think there is such a thing as getting to Phil's level (in any industry) (even celebrity) without being ruthless. It seems to be par for the course. One doesn't get to that high of a position being a nice person.
I hear Tim Cook was somebody everybody was afraid of when he worked under Jobs.
Satoru Iwata was much bigger (he is dead for almost a decade and we still talk about him) everyone who work with him loved him, gamers love him, and when things go bad he always take responsability and took action, help other development teams even if it was not his job or was getting pay, avoid fire People and took bonus reduction of things go really bad

He is the proof being loved and full of honor always beat being ruthless

Phil has lost any and all credibility he may have had with his most staunch supporters. When he gave that video interview after the Redfall release debacle it was quite clear he was literally clueless. He said releasing great games won’t move consoles and make people buy an Xbox. He said they could not compete anymore because they lost the Xbox One generation when everyone built their digital libraries on other competing consoles. He said even if Starfield is an 11 out of 10 it won’t matter……..he said so many ridiculous things that even the interviewers looked like they were ready to throw him off a rooftop. Phil sold out the Xbox console identity by putting their exclusives on PC. He pushed a sub based service called Gamepass which cannibalized game sales and potential sequels. He gave up on the console ecosystem altogether by pushing his ridiculous play your games anywhere shite. He has done other things to further destroy the console base and brand with his anti console approach period. Phil Spencer has turned out to be worse than even Don the Weasel Mattrick. Mattrick delivered more games and also believed in building a base by selling Xbox consoles. Yes, even Mattrick was better imo. Phil is a liar and a fraud and a cancer for the Xbox console in and of itself. Just look at where they are right now and how bad their game situation and console sales are. 23 studios and they have yet to release anything solid and consistent in terms of quality. Phil should be canned right after this hearing is over. He needs to be put out to pasture for how badly he has ruined the Xbox console business for MS.

Last edited:
Phil has lost any and all credibility he may have had with his most staunch supporters. When he gave that video interview after the Redfall release debacle it was quite clear he was literally clueless. He said releasing great games won’t move consoles and make people buy an Xbox. He said they could not compete anymore because they lost the Xbox One generation when everyone built their digital libraries on other competing consoles. He said even if Starfield is an 11 out of 10 it won’t matter……..he said so many ridiculous things that even the interviewers looked like they were ready to throw him off a rooftop. Phil sold out the Xbox console identity by putting their exclusives on PC. He pushed a sub based service called Gamepass which cannibalized game sales and potential sequels. He gave up on the console ecosystem altogether by pushing his ridiculous play your games anywhere shite. He has done other things to further destroy the console base and brand with his anti console approach period. Phil Spencer has turned out to be worse than even Don the Weasel Mattrick. Mattrick delivered more games and also believed in building a base by selling Xbox consoles. Yes, even Mattrick was better imo. Phil is a liar and a fraud and a cancer for the Xbox console in and of itself. Just look at where they are right now and how bad their game situation and console sales are. 23 studios and they have yet to release anything solid and consistent in terms of quality. Phil should be canned right after this hearing is over. He needs to be put out to pasture for how badly he has ruined the Xbox console business for MS.

That’s not what he said. He said releasing a string of great games wouldn’t result in a monumental shift in console splits. He never said great games wouldn’t move Xbox consoles.

As for the rest of that, I mean… the revenue is amazing. The division is doing great. There’s a reason Mattrick was gone and went somewhere else and failed there too. It’s also weird to see you say Mattrick delivered more great games when that’s exactly where he fucked up. But we all have our opinions.

Elaborate on why you think she knows nothing about games and has “0 taste” in them. I’m just genuinely curious if you have any insight or are just so against a woman having that role. Though, the part later on where you are preemptively whining about her playing a hypothetical race/sex card kind of tells us all we need to know.

For the record, I think Bond is exactly who Spencer is planning on handing control over to once he decides to step down.

As for what she knows about games, I mean her education kind of speaks for itself, and you don’t need to be a hardcore gamer. Do you think these executives are sitting beside developers, giving them pointers on how to code or something? They’re looking at reports and are in meetings about numbers. And as for taste in games, do you think Bobby K has a great taste in games? I know mentioning Sony will stir the hive mind and their “#SonyToo” nonsense, but does Jim “why would anyone play PS1/2 games, they look ancient” Ryan have a great taste in games or something?
Read my Last post, there I show why She lack any real experience in the industry, compared to other People and why She is Just a Diversity Hire

And im sorry but Kotick its not that good, he is Just Lucky, He killed Guitar hero and Skylanders, he cant mantain that momentum, Blizard over his watch go to shit, and let a shitshow of sexual harrasment run rampant in the company for years

Being a CEO of any company its not only look to sheets, you need to take care on many things, something he lack after so many Years

Sorcerer

Satoru Iwata was much bigger (he is dead for almost a decade and we still talk about him) everyone who work with him loved him, gamers love him, and when things go bad he always take responsability and took action, help other development teams even if it was not his job or was getting pay, avoid fire People and took bonus reduction of things go really bad

He is the proof being loved and full of honor always beat being ruthless
You are correct. He did seem like an exceptional person. A rarity.

Brucey

She's more qualified and competent than the white house press secretary or cackling Kamala. But physical attractiveness is irrelevant, it would be better to have someone with a gaming background, a thirst to enjoy the medium. In this case she's a bean counter. Numbers, not creative teams and outcomes..

Lol. As I said before. PlayStation people want Phil sacked, while Xbox people want Jim to stay at PlayStation forever.
I think that tells you all you need to know.

So Phil should be dumped on because he tried to buy ABK? Wow.

It showed Microsoft is all in.

Mr.Phoenix

I hope for Xbox's sake none of you ever be in a position to be in charge lol.

There are two ways to make a console/platform successful. You either appeal to the casual crowd or appeal to the enthusiast. That average how/casual crowd that is being dismissed here, is what makes Nintendos bread and butter. And is the reason Xbox consoles (outside the 360) never seem to be able to break 80M.

Nintendo are masters at appealing to the casuals (mind you, doing this doesn't mean you don't appeal to enthusiasts too), and Sony, are masters of appealing to the enthusiasts. The thing about the enthusiasts is as Phil said himself, they evangelize for you. Word of mouth. And ultimately get casuals on board too.

Xbox's problem is and has always been that they try and be the jack of all trades. They have no identity. An almost me too like complex. Even now, we don't know if they are trying to sell consoles, gamepass or cloud. Someone needs to tell them that they need to focus on one first and get that shit right. They need to be `known` for something.

And while Phil may have right the ship, this is why I never had any confidence in him. His approach to running Xbox is to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

So Phil should be dumped on because he tried to buy ABK? Wow.

It showed Microsoft is all in.
I could explain why this is a myopic take... but what's the point? If that's how you see it, with all the facts in front of you.. then nothing I say would make a difference anyway.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And while Phil may have right the ship, this is why I never had any confidence in him. His approach to running Xbox is to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

If his current approach of acquiring one of the biggest publishers to enhance the xbox portfolio completes successfully, will your opinion or confidence in him increase ?

If his current approach of acquiring one of the biggest publishers to enhance the xbox portfolio completes successfully, will your opinion or confidence in him increase ?
If Xbox needed such a hailmary move to survive, he already failed. Xbox is not short on money, so if they come third in gaming after all these years it is because they are incompetent.

Nydius

What I want to know is why don't ms ever delete emails? 😁

Short answer: They can't, especially as a publicly traded company. They have to maintain records for corporate compliance and potential future litigation. When I worked IT at Gateway a lifetime ago, we had to ensure all e-mails were archived and accessible.

The better question is: Why hasn't anyone told them (especially Matt Booty) what not to discuss via e-mail or how to use the e-mails to facilitate other means of discussion less easily archived (i.e. phone, face-to-face, Teams/Zoom)?

adamsapple

If Xbox needed such a hailmary move to survive, he already failed. Xbox is not short on money, so if they come third in gaming after all these years it is because they are incompetent.

I don't think Xbox's survival will be a question regardless of if the acquisition doesn't complete. It was definitely a question back in 2013/4 before Phil/Matt changed Satya's mind.

But if he manages to complete one of the biggest acquisitions in electronic history, do you think he should get credit for it and for expanding the gaming division ?

If Phil buy Activision with xbox own earned money, that would be increíble, in fact, if he fix any of Xbox problems with their own money that would be quite a feat

The only thing he is doing is buying stuff, with loan money, I fail to ser where is the smart of that, iwata fixed Nintendo in the wii era after gamecube was a disaster

Im other words, It's the same if any of gaf members ask a loan in the bank for 1 million, put a startup or smal business in a town, and then claim its successfull and smart

Rare cost like 300 Millions and took like 15 years to Just pay that

We are going to be dead before that stupid deal pays off

Meicyn

Gold Member
Phil was exposed as a fraud. I really believed he was a good guy who wanted a strong gaming industry with competition but he is just a snake.
The Xbox division stopped being about games when J. Allard, Robbie Bach, and Peter Moore made their exit. They were hungry and were the reason Xbox 360 launched swinging for Sony’s head. It was crazy how in the first three years of that platform, there were more JRPGs to play on Xbox 360 than PS3. Then Kinect happened and the trio were pushed out because Big M$ coveted Nintendo’s motion control nonsense.

The division has never recovered since.

Mr.Phoenix

Nope. Because I believe that is a flawed approach to begin with. Fine,I give the Bethesda, that's a good piece of business. But I feel spending $67B... for one publisher, and mostly for one-game... is ridiculous, and that money could be better spent elsewhere. I mean COD is this really big IP now, but at one point, so was Halo.

But why I really frown on that, is because them doing that...is like trying to treat the infection and not the wound that caused the infection first. This whole Activision thing, is telling me MS has not learned shit in the last 10 years.

Rather than try and create and develop their own IPs (especially being that they acknowledge content is king) they seem to have this almost impulsive focus on acquiring whats already out there. COD may not even be relevant in 3 years. What then? They have a $67B paperweight?

Ansphn

Phil is cooked. They're already grooming Sarah Bond to take over. Phil will suddenly retire if the deal goes through or not.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Short answer: They can't, especially as a publicly traded company. They have to maintain records for corporate compliance and potential future litigation. When I worked IT at Gateway a lifetime ago, we had to ensure all e-mails were archived and accessible.

The better question is: Why hasn't anyone told them (especially Matt Booty) what not to discuss via e-mail or how to use the e-mails to facilitate other means of discussion less easily archived (i.e. phone, face-to-face, Teams/Zoom)?

That makes sense. Guess they never thought these would end up in.the public. Lesson learned I suspect.

Mr Blobby

let me bring you up to speed:

In the realm of gaming, a tale unfolds,
Of rivals fierce, their stories yet untold.
Phil Spencer, a leader with vision and might,
Embarking on a mission, to claim the gaming light.

With Xbox in hand, he strides with grace,
Challenging the giants, ready to face.
Sony PlayStation, a formidable foe,
But Phil Spencer's determination would surely show.

In battles fierce, the gaming war would ignite,
As Phil unleashed his plans with all his might.
He rallied the gamers, united their souls,
Promising a future where gaming knows no controls.

He laid the smackdown on Sony's reign,
With innovation and games, breaking the chain.
Exclusives and services, he brought to the fore,
Unleashing a gaming revolution like never before.

Phil Spencer's strategies, they took flight,
Creating a gaming landscape shining bright.
From console to cloud, his empire grew,
Captivating players, their loyalty anew.

Through collaborations and studio acquisitions,
He forged a path of gaming ambitions.
With Xbox Game Pass, a treasure trove,
Phil Spencer's vision captured hearts, a treasure trove.

And so, the saga continues to unfold,
Phil Spencer's legacy, a story yet untold.
In the annals of gaming, his name shall remain,
As the one who laid the smackdown, breaking the chain.

Leo9

Nope. Because I believe that is a flawed approach to begin with. Fine,I give the Bethesda, that's a good piece of business. But I feel spending $67B... for one publisher, and mostly for one-game... is ridiculous, and that money could be better spent elsewhere. I mean COD is this really big IP now, but at one point, so was Halo.

But why I really frown on that, is because them doing that...is like trying to treat the infection and not the wound that caused the infection first. This whole Activision thing, is telling me MS has not learned shit in the last 10 years.

Rather than try and create and develop their own IPs (especially being that they acknowledge content is king) they seem to have this almost impulsive focus on acquiring whats already out there. COD may not even be relevant in 3 years. What then? They have a $67B paperweight?
Avowed, Clockwork Revolution, South of Midnight, Everwild, Starfield are new IPs. Double Fine, Zenimax Online, Tango are also working on new IPs.

Last edited:
I don't think Xbox's survival will be a question regardless of if the acquisition doesn't complete. It was definitely a question back in 2013/4 before Phil/Matt changed Satya's mind.

But if he manages to complete one of the biggest acquisitions in electronic history, do you think he should get credit for it and for expanding the gaming division ?
The fact that Xbox doesn't need to be profitable is exactly why it is dying.
And you don't get credit for expanding if you use other people's money to do it. If they were competent they would not need this. So this is nothing to be happy about because it is proof that Xbox itself is a worthless division that can't do its job. And buying Activision would just cause Activision to die in the long run. You buy a good company to shure up your shitty one, the company you buy would become shitty by association.

You are trying to cheer on Xbox whhile ignoring that Xbox can't stand on its own because the people running it are simply incapable of doing their jobs, and buying up the majority of the gaming industry would just kill whatever they buy.

Sony would just make a CoD subsitute once Activision rots away, if it comes to it. But the CoD fans would suffer in the mean time. Activision would die the same way Bullfrog and Westwood died when they get brought up by EA.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The fact that Xbox doesn't need to be profitable is exactly why it is dying.
And you don't get credit for expanding if you use other people's money to do it. If they were competent they would not need this. So this is nothing to be happy about because it is proof that Xbox itself is a worthless division that can't do its job. And buying Activision would just cause Activision to die in the long run. You buy a good company to shure up your shitty one, the company you buy would become shitty by association.

You are trying to cheer on Xbox whhile ignoring that Xbox can't stand on its own because the people running it are simply incapable of doing their jobs, and buying up the majority of the gaming industry would just kill whatever they buy.

Sony would just make a CoD subsitute once Activision rots away, if it comes to it. But the CoD fans would suffer in the mean time. Activision would die the same way Bullfrog and Westwood died when they get brought up by EA.

If the idea is to buy a good company to shore up a shitty one, why would the good one become shitty by association? That's counter to the idea itself, no ?

Also, Bullfrog and Westwood were individual studios, not publishers that would be operating independently, ala Zenimax, I wouldn't characterize that as an accurate comparison.

Mr.Phoenix

Avowed, Clockwork Revolution, South of Midnight, Everwild, Starfield are new IPs. Double Fine, Zenimax Online, Tango are also working on new IPs.
Great.. a list war.

None of those games you mentioned has been released yet. And as such, we do not know if they are going to be good. NeedI remind you Redfall wasanewIP too?

However, yes, making new Ips is ultimately the way to go.. and even if its over 7 years ate... it is a step in the right direction.

Does not change the fact, that $67B for pretty much one game... is still ridiculous.

SJRB

Gold Member
He's just a top management guy doing what he's paid for. He's not a visionary, but hardly anyone on that level is. Look at the morons that surround him. Greenberg, Moody; who's going to replace him?

Top management usually are a bunch of clowns. Sony's hardly different, they just seek way less publicity so we don't have as many quotes from Jim Ryan saying dumb shit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ask this question if the deal goes through or not.

They are clearly setting up Sarah Bond to be his replacement...if she wants it.

Phil looks like he could be done with the whole thing, but if the deal goes through he could get a second wind.

Who knows...

StueyDuck

Haha of course not. If anything this M&A is just going to get the fanbase all riled up and love him even more.

Don't forget that to a console warrior Phil is like a savior who is killing the other plastic toy and for some reason that's a good thing 🤔 because... well no real reason except Twitter arguments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom