• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest boss fights, Sister Friede, Nameless King, Orphan of Kos, Darkeater Midir Or Malenia

which was the toughest boss battle for you?

• Sister Friede

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Nameless King

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Orphan of Kos

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Darkeater Midir

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Malenia

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Isshin the Sword Saint

Votes: 31 20.5%

• Total voters
This is considering you’ve actually played and/or beat them all

For me it might be Darkeater Midir just because of his stupid long range and short range move sets and how often he cast. You pretty much have to be at one side of the arena one minute and the next side the next. Just relentless fire beams ….

2nd might be tied between Nameless King and Sister Friede just because they’re such long battles. I beat the former by sheer panicking luck just cause i was so burnt out on having to constantly fight through his first form which i had to change my build to accommodate.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Isshin. No real way to fraud your way to a win. You gotta know the game.

Malenia is probably the hardest otherwise but there are a million ways to cheese her and make the fight much, much easier. The sheer variety of weapons and options in Elden Ring such as Rivers of Blood, Fingerprint Shield, Mimic Tear, Tiche, etc, helps tremendously.

The one who gave me the hardest time is Orphan of Kos. There are no NPC summons and no matter your build, beating him is fairly challenging.

After that my hardest fight was O&S in Dark Souls.

The rest never gave me that much difficulty.

hlm666

Midir was easily the one out of those that caused me the most grief although slave knight gael was probably a close second. Malenia I cruised through mainly because I was using the washing pole (or whatever elden ring called it) with quickstep infused, basically let me spam dodge out of the aoe attack without having to learn to play ;)

Kacho

Midir was easily the one out of those that caused me the most grief although slave knight gael was probably a close second. Malenia I cruised through mainly because I was using the washing pole (or whatever elden ring called it) with quickstep infused, basically let me spam dodge out of the aoe attack without having to learn to play ;)
I think most people cheesed her with Mimic Tear before the nerf lol

Malinia was an absolute ball buster. Never thought I’d encounter a more rage inducing boss than Nameless King. Their difficulty makes them legendary though.

Isshin was tough but fair. By the time you reach him you have all the knowledge you need. You just have to execute. Awesome boss.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Malenia, 100%

Come on man, it’s the name of some bosses. Don’t be so precious.
Precious... Only her.

6jOBGAs.jpg

🥰

acidagfc

Malenia would have been a very easy fight if not for her cheat-like life leech. Well, guess what, bitch, me and my bro mimic froststomped you to death before that thing was patched out.
Her poise is also very low, unga-bunga method of dual hammers works great.

I did somehow manage to beat Orphan solo, simply because summoning never worked for me in BB.

I don't think I ever beat Friede or Gael solo, my vote goes to these two. I'd vote Gael, but he is not in the list, so Friede it is.

Edit: Oh, I also could never get into Sekiro, despite loving other From games, so Isshin could be the worst, IDK.

Last edited:

Kacho

Oh wow, I forgot about Mimir Demon Prince and Ariandel.

Ariandel was pretty tough but I downed her eventually. Good challenge imo.

Mimir Demon Prince was a nightmare. I never soloed him. Had to use the available NPC summon (I think there were multiple?). That made the fight manageable.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me its between Isshin the Sword Saint and Malenia and they were also most fun boss fights.
Voted orphan of kos. Banged my head against it only to find out that pewdiepie beat it on first try.
He was tough but his first form is very easy to parry, his 2nd form is little harder since much faster and less predictable move sets.

hlm666

I think most people cheesed her with Mimic Tear before the nerf lol

Malinia was an absolute ball buster. Never thought I’d encounter a more rage inducing boss than Nameless King. Their difficulty makes them legendary though.

Isshin was tough but fair. By the time you reach him you have all the knowledge you need. You just have to execute. Awesome boss.

My main problem with isshin was I would try rush through the first 2 phases to get back learning the 3rd one that I would die or waste healing. I think the hardest in sekiro for me was the 2 apes, but even in elden ring the couple of fights with 2 bosses at once were probably the fights that annoyed me most. I need to work on why I suck at those fights, although I'm pretty sure it's because I get impatient waiting for an opening I can punish without the other punishing me. I did enjoy the abyss watchers, and I didn't struggle with Friede and I think it's because it was easy to separate the bosses in those fights. The gravetender and his stupid wolf did trigger me now I think about more fights with 2 bosses and that's another where getting the room needed to do some damage took patience.

MadPanda

Banned
I gave up on nameless king. Just didn't want to put in effort to kill him as imhe seemed OP and I didn't want to spend a few hours trying to beat him, so he got my vote. Didn't play dlcs for ds3 so don't know about those. Orphan of Kos somehow wasn't difficult to me, I didn't even realize he was so difficult before I read all the complaints. Defiled Amigdala on the other hand took me 5 to 10 hours. Whatever I tried I count beat it, so in the end I went to YouTube and tried every possible strategy I could find and still struggled until I found some overhead slash tactic which did it for me. But defiled Amigdala was difficult because your hp was halved and it had those high jumps which would instakill me.

Isshin was amazing, very difficult but very fun and challenging. Malenia was cool but I used summons.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nameless King was one of the easiest bosses in any Souls game if you equipped the Dragonslayer Great Shield.

Last edited:
Being honest, I haven't beaten every single one of your list, but nameless king for me. It's basically 2 boss fights back to back, both of which on their own are super tough. Awesome fight though and the character alone is probably my favorite in any soul game.

While not on your list, honorable mention to Lud and Zallen, the kings pets in DS2. One of the only bosses in which after I beat I felt completely lucky and couldn't do it again if I tried. Just felt like you needed to get some lucky breaks to get them separated. Also, while not part of the boss fight, getting back to them after they repeatedly kick your ass is the worse in any souls game.

Orphan > Malenia (no summons) > Isshin > Friede > Midir > Nameless in terms of difficulty for me, maybe. Also thought Demon of Hatred was harder than a few of these listed, well maybe about on par with Midir or Nameless.

Last edited:
played and beat all those games/bosses and for me it was Midir. Don’t know if it was because I was a strength build my first time facing him or what but he cream pied me numerous times. In follow up playthroughs with def built he was much easier but that first run haunts me.

YukiOnna

Isshin is the most difficult and most fun especially on NG+ runs. Malenia wasn't much of a challenge but at least she had a good design, which I couldn't say for a majority of ER bosses until the end.

SkylineRKR

Isshin is really fair, but its 4 fights, one against another first. Once I figured him out he wasn't hard and I didn't even use prosthetic. I had figured out Malenia as well, the first phase that is. But the second phase gave me trouble, though she is a glass cannon.

Midir is tough, mainly because of his health pool. If you stay in front you can generally kill him if you are not too greedy.

With Kos and Nameless King I never had much issues, I beat them after a relatively few retries. I would put Laurence there.

Sister Friede might be my pick, its the only I didn't beat solo I think (mainly last phase caused me issues).

anthony2690

Banned
I voted Ishin Sword Saint, I spent a couple days stuck at him before slaying him :)

Melania I beat on my fourth or fifth try and expected to get stuck on the boss for a while as you read all the posts online, but she died really easily for me.

I guess everyone will have different experiences though.

Mr Hyde

Malena. All other bosses are hard, fun and fair. Malenia is just bullshit. Worst boss From ever created.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Only noobs vote for Malenia. Ishin requires actual skill. Malenia is only hard because she has the dumbest boss mechanic ever made, life steal, other than that, she is pretty basic.

There’s something about Dark Souls 3. That’s the one Miyazaki game I’ve played where the combat just never clicked with me. I could never get the flow down; it always felt awkward. Friede was a nightmare, as was the Nameless King + Bad Camera duo, along with Gael.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't get the Midir reverence. Yeah, he was difficult at first, but I don't remember it taking too long. You just learn the moves and work round them. Big enemies tend to hit hard, but they aren't the biggest skill walls.

Malenia was a pain, but between ER's many options and the lack of run back to the boss, it's not as painful as others in more ways than one. What also helps is learning to dodge through her attacks. Negate her reach and the difficulty drops. Then it's just dodging Waterfowl, which is another "Dodge forward" affair.

I think Gael deserves a place on the list, he is essentially the final boss of Souls and is rather chaotic in his attacking.

I haven't finished Sekiro or played BB, so I can't comment there.

Mr Branding

Umi Bozu from Nioh due to cheapness.
Hardest would have to be the last bosses in NGB culminating with Fiend Murai, especially on MNM. Souls got nothing on that.

Bojji

I gave up in final fight in Sekiro so probably Ishin lol.

But i did beat all souls games and Bloodborne so two hardest:

Oriohan of Kos - hated this motherfucker

Sister Friede - no words here...

Hardest to easiest (granted easiest is a relative term, because these are all challenging endgame or bonus bosses):

1. Darkeater Midir: I have never beaten him solo. I know the strategy is to "just hit him in the head, bro," but I can never get myself in position to land any hits before he either dashes or flies across the arena or does a stupid gigantic slam that takes off 80% of my health or outright kills me. I've resigned myself to never killing him solo and just summon for him.

2. Malenia: Like Midir, I haven't beaten her solo yet, but I imagine I could, because, other than Waterfowl Dance, she's fairly manageable. I feel like her other moves are well telegraphed, she has fairly low poise leading to easy stuns, and her health pool feels totally fair. However, when I got to her during my first and so far only play through of Elden Ring, I fought her about 12 or 15 times, with and without summons, and after that, I was done, so I used my mimic tear. But I feel like I could beat her with enough practice if I ever wanted to spend more time learning Waterfowl Dance.

3. Nameless King: He's such a pain in the ass. I always come out with zero estus remaining. He's also an interesting inverse from the above Midir. Whereas I must summon for Midir, I must solo Nameless because the health boost Nameless gets during summons is always far greater than the minuscule damage my summons do before they get killed.

4. Sister Friede and Father Ariandel: Tough and long due to the three stage fight, but I feel like From put in enough weaknesses to make them fair. Overall, each stage has a manageable health pool. Phase 1, Friede is easily stunlocked due to low poise. Phase 2, Friede and Ariandel share a health pool allowing you to target whichever you prefer. Phase 3, I felt like you could dodge many of Friede's dashes and drives to get in some back stabs or at least some easy hits.

5. Orphan of Kos: He's aggressive, but what boss isn't in Bloodborne? I always felt like I had the tools to beat him, but just needed help understanding when he could be gun parried. Once I knew that, I could manage.

6. Sword Saint Isshin: I don't know. I didn't find him as difficult as many made him out to be. By the end of Sekiro, my deflect and Mikiri counter game was strong, so phase 1 against Genichiro went pretty smooth having beat Genichiro twice already, phase 2 was a basic dual except for the inclusion of a gun which you can deflect, and phase 4 allowed for crazy Lightning Reversal abuse. Phase 3 was the only real challenge for me. I had to relearn how to fight him due to his increased range from his spear.

Last edited:

ungalo

I know that with the spirits Malenia like any other boss in ER become ridiculously easy but in a fair fight it's by far the hardest. It's actually too much but it's not the only boss in ER that is like that with ridiculous patterns (others don't have high damage or broken mechanics like the health absorbtion though). Elden Ring is a frustrating game in that regard, the combat system went to its limits.

Midir is a pain in the ass but there is a way to properly learn and master the fight that is not too demanding.

Friede is a long fight with the last phase being way more difficult than the first two, this is the kind of boss i suck at, it's stressful.

Last edited:
I don't get the Midir reverence. Yeah, he was difficult at first, but I don't remember it taking too long. You just learn the moves and work round them. Big enemies tend to hit hard, but they aren't the biggest skill walls.

Malenia was a pain, but between ER's many options and the lack of run back to the boss, it's not as painful as others in more ways than one. What also helps is learning to dodge through her attacks. Negate her reach and the difficulty drops. Then it's just dodging Waterfowl, which is another "Dodge forward" affair.

I think Gael deserves a place on the list, he is essentially the final boss of Souls and is rather chaotic in his attacking.

I haven't finished Sekiro or played BB, so I can't comment there.
Gael is probably the best hard boss they’ve designed. Just the generosity of the lock-on itself puts it a tier above most.

Funny how people have such different experiences. I’ve died maybe three times ever to Dancer and I can do Sister Feet first or second time pretty consistently.

But Twin Princes and Aldrich… JFC.

And in Elden Ring I have such an issue with Malkeith but all I see online are people gushing over his moveset and wishing he had more HP!

Hardest to easiest (granted easiest is a relative term, because these are all challenging endgame or bonus bosses):

1. Darkeater Midir: I have never beaten him solo. I know the strategy is to "just hit him in the head, bro," but I can never get myself in position to land any hits before he either dashes or flies across the arena or does a stupid gigantic slam that takes off 80% of my health or outright kills me. I've resigned myself to never killing him solo and just summon for him.

2. Malenia: Like Midir, I haven't beaten her solo yet, but I imagine I could, because, other than Waterfowl Dance, she's fairly manageable. I feel like her other moves are well telegraphed, she has fairly low poise leading to easy stuns, and her health pool feels totally fair. However, when I got to her during my first and so far only play through of Elden Ring, I fought her about 12 or 15 times, with and without summons, and after that, I was done, so I used my mimic tear. But I feel like I could beat her with enough practice if I ever wanted to spend more time learning Waterfowl Dance.

3. Nameless King: He's such a pain in the ass. I always come out with zero estus remaining. He's also an interesting inverse from the above Midir. Whereas I must summon for Midir, I must solo Nameless because the health boost Nameless gets during summons is always far greater than the minuscule damage my summons do before they get killed.

4. Sister Friede and Father Ariandel: Tough and long due to the three stage fight, but I feel like From put in enough weaknesses to make them fair. Overall, each stage has a manageable health pool. Phase 1, Friede is easily stunlocked due to low poise. Phase 2, Friede and Ariandel share a health pool allowing you to target whichever you prefer. Phase 3, I felt like you could dodge many of Friede's dashes and drives to get in some back stabs or at least some easy hits.

5. Orphan of Kos: He's aggressive, but what boss isn't in Bloodborne? I always felt like I had the tools to beat him, but just needed help understanding when he could be gun parried. Once I knew that, I could manage.

6. Sword Saint Isshin: I don't know. I didn't find him as difficult as many made him out to be. By the end of Sekiro, my deflect and Mikiri counter game was strong, so phase 1 against Genichiro went pretty smooth having beat Genichiro twice already, phase 2 was a basic dual except for the inclusion of a gun which you can deflect, and phase 4 allowed for crazy Lightning Reversal abuse. Phase 3 was the only real challenge for me. I had to relearn how to fight him due to his increased range from his spear.
SSI is so hard because it being a four-phase fight is such a mindfuck. By the last phase im a wreck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom