• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Dark Souls + AotA (after playing all other titles in the series)

Lt.Chips

So I just finished playing through the entirety of the original Dark Souls and its expansion, Artorias of the Abyss, in 2017.

I think I offer a somewhat unique perspective, as my first Soulsborne game was actually Bloodborne. It kicked my ass hard, but I learned to love it. In my first playthrough, Father Gascoigne + Blood Starved Beast + Defiled Watchdog took my life more times than the rest of the bosses combined!

Then I wanted more. Thank goodness for the port of DS2: SotFS on the PS4. No need to farm healing items! Overall, a great package brimming with content. I liked it quite a bit. Except for the Frigid Outskirts and the thunder reindeer. Eww.

And then, DS3 came out and my body was so ready. I think DS3 had the most consistent quality throughout the game, along with BB. After two soulsborne games, this game still offered bosses who'd kick my ass - The Nameless King. Friede & Ariandel. Midir. After playing the game again with a pure sorcerer, I found that NK and Midir (albeit with the NPC summon) to be trivial, though :)

One problem with DS3 is that I didn't get the references. Arriving at Anor Londo meant pretty much nothing to me, since I've never been there before. Firelink shrine. 2nd phase of Soul of Cinder and the music that kicks in. None of them evoked particular emotions. The game itself was mighty fine, but I couldn't help but feel I was missing out.

So, I sought the original DS1. I had to dust off my 360, order a copy from amazon, and purchase AotA from the Xbox store (PC was not an option). 35 hours later, I could finally claim to have finished the entire Dark Souls series.

Now I finally understand why DS1 is considered one of the best in the series by many. Why there are so many fans of AotA. Why people despise the Bed of Chaos. Why the Lost Izalith is hated. Why Blighttown is Blighttown. What an "interconnected world" really means. ALL the memes. The VaatiVidya lore videos. The unbelievably annoying Silver Knight archers of Anor Londo. The boobs of Anor Londo. Why Solaire is loved by all. The OG onionbro, and his daughter?! The sheer awesomeness of Ornstein & Smough. Mostly Ornstein. Even the Painted World was not a DS3 original?

Funny thing is, I felt some serious nostalgia in DS1, thanks to fact that I played all the soulsborne sequels first. Seeing Anor Londo in all its golden glory brought a smile to my face. Ohhhh, that's the giant blacksmith! Demon Ruins with actual Demons in it! Wait, Havel is in this game too, and he is the OG Rock? And is that King Oceiros' uncle or something? Why is Kalameet soooo tiny and cute (I fought Midir not too long ago)? Hey, it's that guy from Aldritch boss fight! I knew both Gael and Artorias are based on Guts from the Berserk comics, but they open the fight with the same "pick up and throw a corpse"? And of course Gwyn, whom I immediately recognized as the 2nd phase of Soul of Cinder :)

I felt the warm emotions that many players must have felt playing the DS series in chronological order. It's ironic, but it works! Given that one recurring theme of DS1 was that time was convoluted and the present affects the past which in turn influences the future, this was quite fitting.

Speaking of emotions, the first time I stumbled upon Ash Lake. Wow. It was sublime. The stillness. It really felt like I arrived at the bottom of the world. This is what I feel like when I imagine the deep sea. The speechless stone dragon at the end of the area only adds to the atmosphere. Something very ancient, something that humans cannot comprehend, but at the same time, not oppressive in a Lovecraftian way. It was peaceful, quiet, and felt like a place where all life began ages ago, frozen in time. One might even say, a cold, dark, and gentle place. (And I must add how amazing it was to see Ash Lake on one side and Demon Ruins on another in the late game, after trudging through the blackness of the Tomb of the Giants. The interconnectivity!)

Having played BB before DS1 also offered me an unique experience in AotA. Visiting Oolacile was great, but when I first saw this guy at a shortcut:

marvellous-chester-large.jpg

Yep. Top hat and the fancy garb. The fact that he was brought here from the future. The way he fights when he invades you - the quick dash, the advanced crossbow, the nimble footwork and the speedy kicks (well, this wasn't in BB). The fact that he was dragged into this world by a mysterious GIANT FUCKING HAND (cough*amygdala*cough, and recall where you get the Top Hat in BB)! Yeah, we were grabbed by Manus' hand here, but the context, the circumstantial evidence here is so enticing. His eerily calm demeanor, almost suggesting that he'd seen worse (#nightofthehunt). Dare I say he was a hunter of beasts in his own time?

Because I played BB first, I was immediately convinced that an Amygdala grabbed him and threw him here from Yharnam. I had to google it and of course this was an old theory :) Yes, AotA and BB had overlapping development periods and this was simply a reflection of that, and not necessarily implying that DS and BB share the same universe, but hey, it is fun to speculate. Seeing Marvellous Chester brought a huge grin to my face like no other.

In fact, AotA share a lot of similarities with BB, much more so than the rest of DS1. The AotA bosses are very fast and nimble a la BB. Artorias. Santcuary Guardian. And of course, Manus, who would be a natural fit as a boss in BB. By the way, Manus also reminded me of another videogame villan - Mundus from Devil May Cry. The glowing multiple eyes. How the coolest swordsmen in the game got corrupted by him. And how we get to kick his ass in the end.

Being somewhat of a soulsborne vet, I found DS1 to be by far the easiest game in the series. I actually killed every single boss in my first try except fucking Bed of Chaos. Even O&S, the Four Kings, Artorias, Kalameet, and Manus. But again, I think it was because by now I was so used to the series, every boss seemed too slow. It also helped that I took my time to get the titanite chunks to upgrade all of my gear including armor. And that poking with the +15 Balder Side Sword is OP. Or maybe I finally got gud.

And with that, I can finally say I beat every single boss in the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games. Here are my picks for the best boss in each title:

DS1:
Ornstein & Smough
DS2:
Fume Knight
DS3:
Gael
BB:
Lady Maria

If you managed to read all the way down here, I'm sure you noticed one glaring omission from this masterpiece of a series. Perhaps that one will get a remastered treatment at E3, along with DS1? One can hope. In the meantime, I think I'm going to put down the controller and let the Chosen Undead, the Bearer of the Curse, the Ashen One, the Good Hunter take their well-deserved rest.

Robot Pants

Best game ever made.
How did you feel when you opened that shortcut from the Lower Undead Burg back to Firelink and the music kicked in?

And Demons Souls is not the best souls game. Give it a rest.

Zaventem

Nice write up dude, cool seeing perspectives from people that joined later in the series. If you found Dark Souls easy you'll steamroll DeS unless you go pure black tendency, i know i did but i enjoyed it. The god damn terminator skeletons were the hardest part of the game, movement speed is also fast so it's a plus.

My friend bought me Dark Souls to get into the series. I started it tonight and I just can't keep playing. 720p on my 4K UHD tv...the game looks like actual vomit.

Should I start with a Dark Souls 3, GAF?

Mephala

Nice write up, I enjoyed that read a lot.

I think Dark Souls is my favourite in terms of world and lore. I am particularly fond of Gwyn's four generals. The way the world is slowly but surely succumbing to darkness and death was amazing. Later in the series you see influences from the older generations that still linger due to obvious similarities probably in part because it is still very effective.

Have a pic.
Gongrats+you+ve+killed+the+hardest+boss+of+the+main+game+_76db54e35dbcc14eede94a6a99c5ea74.jpg

Kieli

My friend bought me Dark Souls to get into the series. I started it tonight and I just can't keep playing. 720p on my 4K UHD tv...the game looks like actual vomit.

Start with DSI if you have a good gaming PC. Game is pretty cheap nowadays.

night814

You have a golden girls Avatar and your making a point about a game looking bad? Those two things don't add up to me.

DS is great, try Demon Souls if you're really feeling it.

You have a golden girls Avatar and your making a point about a game looking bad? Those two things don't add up to me.

DS is great, try Demon Souls if you're really feeling it.

The game is super pixelated and muddy on my tv :/ is there a PS4 Souls game that's good for beginners ti the series?

Van Bur3n

Great post. It's nice to see someone who has started with Bloodborne and has managed to love every single other Souls game afterwards, including Dark Souls 2.

Surprised you managed to kill every boss on the first try. I haven't played the first Dark Souls in a while and after coming back to it after playing BB and DS3 extensively, I got my ass handed to me from time to time. Getting used to those wonky controls again compared to the fluid sequels. But then again, it was also my first attempt at a Intelligence build so I had to adjust my play style a bit.

Good boss picks. Fume Knight has always stood as one of my favorites in the series as well.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I just have the DS3 expansions to finish and I will be there with you OP as far as Dark Souls series.

I have played Demon Souls. I played DS1 & DS2 before it and I think it ruined it for me. Did not like Demon Souls much at all, it just felt wrong. I know many will not agree, but after playing DS1, do not get the same feel in DS.

And no, have not played Bloodbourne yet, someday... but technically not "Dark Souls" so I can live without for now ;)

Lt.Chips

Best game ever made.
How did you feel when you opened that shortcut from the Lower Undead Burg back to Firelink and the music kicked in?

It was eye-opening in every sense of the word. Exhilarating. A feeling that DS2, DS3 and BB couldn't emulate, with all due respect :)

Excellent OP. Always awesome to see people enjoying one of the best games of all time, and the perspective on seeing the references in reverse is very interesting. :)

Addressed right at the end of the OP.

Thank you for reading my wall of text to the end! I ended up enjoying playing in this order much more than I've anticipated.

Nice write up dude, cool seeing perspectives from people that joined later in the series. If you found Dark Souls easy you'll steamroll DeS unless you go pure black tendency, i know i did but i enjoyed it. The god damn terminator skeletons were the hardest part of the game, movement speed is also fast so it's a plus.

I actually played very little of DeS, but enough to beat the Phalanx, get roasted by the drakes, obtain the Magic Falchion (scimitar?), and get scared like a little kid by the beginning section of the Tower of Latria. Never went far, though. I do want to go back eventually.

Ash Lake is deep, man.

Even though one can easily argue it's an unfinished, underdeveloped area in the game, it is one of my favorites. The feels!

HYDE

Banned
This is one heck of a series. I love them all, except Dark Souls 2 which is fun, but not excellent imo.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I & III, and Bloodborne are all inside the top games of all time for me. Artorias of the Abyss, Old Hunters, Ashes of Ariandel, and The Ringed City are all outstanding continuations also.

Much love FROM.

Those who haven't played Nioh, and love these games, get on that stat!

PC version just crashes for me no matter what I do.

It's actually kind of bizarre that there's no port of dark souls 1 to ps4/xb1. They could add some minor new feature and charge $40 for it easy.

Lt.Chips

Resolution is one thing, but framerates in certain places in DS1 console version is on another level. It gets super choppy in Blighttown. You could start with DS2: SotFS for the PS4 and pray with me for a DS1 remaster announcement at the upcoming E3!

Nice write up, I enjoyed that read a lot.

I think Dark Souls is my favourite in terms of world and lore. I am particularly fond of Gwyn's four generals. The way the world is slowly but surely succumbing to darkness and death was amazing. Later in the series you see influences from the older generations that still linger due to obvious similarities probably in part because it is still very effective.

Have a pic.
Gongrats+you+ve+killed+the+hardest+boss+of+the+main+game+_76db54e35dbcc14eede94a6a99c5ea74.jpg

Thank you, and appreciate the pic - is it yours? It's very cute! Oh man, when I found out what Artorias did to Sif in the DLC... and how the cutscene in the main game changes afterwards. Cry.

I really like the way you described Ash Lake.

Thanks! Ash Lake has to be my favorite area in a game ever.

Nice read, glad you enjoyed it!

Curious to hear your thoughts on Demons Souls. Best game in the series imo.

I did play a tiny bit of DeS in the past. I am waiting for the right time to jump back into it. Holding out for a remaster, ideally :)

Great post. It's nice to see someone who has started with Bloodborne and has managed to love every single other Souls game afterwards, including Dark Souls 2.

Surprised you managed to kill every boss on the first try. I haven't played the first Dark Souls in a while and after coming back to it after playing BB and DS3 extensively, I got my ass handed to me from time to time. Getting used to those wonky controls again compared to the fluid sequels. But then again, it was also my first attempt at a Intelligence build so I had to adjust my play style a bit.

Good boss picks. Fume Knight has always stood as one of my favorites in the series as well.

Appreciate it! I think not directly coming from DeS and DS1 kind of helped me with my opinions of DS2. After playing DS1 and DS3, I still think it's a great game that I would recommend to anyone who hasn't played it yet. And yeah, I surprised myself too :)

I just have the DS3 expansions to finish and I will be there with you OP as far as Dark Souls series.

I have played Demon Souls. I played DS1 & DS2 before it and I think it ruined it for me. Did not like Demon Souls much at all, it just felt wrong. I know many will not agree, but after playing DS1, do not get the same feel in DS.

And no, have not played Bloodbourne yet, someday... but technically not "Dark Souls" so I can live without for now ;)

The two DS3 expansions are great! They offer some of the hardest bosses in the series (depending on your build), but they are all worth the price of admission AND your time. And if you liked the DS series even a little bit, definitely try BB. It's up there among the very best.

I still hold out hope for a Demon's Souls and Dark Souls PS4 remaster. Would buy them both day 1.

Same here!

I feel like we need to march on Washington and demand as one people that Demon's Souls be released from PS3 jail.

Umbasa to that, brother!

Mephala

Thank you, and appreciate the pic - is it yours? It's very cute! Oh man, when I found out what Artorias did to Sif in the DLC... and how the cutscene in the main game changes afterwards. Cry.

Nah its not mine. I wish I could draw that cute!
I never really felt the same as most people for Sif, even when I saw it limping. Years of Monster Hunter made me lust for blood without mercy or remorse when I saw it. But the additional bits in AoTA made me feel for the puppers a little.
I sort of wish there was a bit more content for Ciaran but maybe this works out better.

Jaraghan

For me, the game is absolutely flawless until you grab the Lordvessel. It takes a dip after that IMO, but it's still a fantastic. Glad you enjoyed the game (and series) OP.

Lt.Chips

This is one heck of a series. I love them all, except Dark Souls 2 which is fun, but not excellent imo.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I & III, and Bloodborne are all inside the top games of all time for me. Artorias of the Abyss, Old Hunters, Ashes of Ariandel, and The Ringed City are all outstanding continuations also.

Much love FROM.

Those who haven't played Nioh, and love these games, get on that stat!

Listen to this man and play Nioh. Had a blast with it through and through.

PC version just crashes for me no matter what I do.

It's actually kind of bizarre that there's no port of dark souls 1 to ps4/xb1. They could add some minor new feature and charge $40 for it easy.

It really is strange, isn't it? I know they're getting my $40 if they ever make the sane decision to release one.

Nah its not mine. I wish I could draw that cute!
I never really felt the same as most people for Sif, even when I saw it limping. Years of Monster Hunter made me lust for blood without mercy or remorse when I saw it. But the additional bits in AoTA made me feel for the puppers a little.
I sort of wish there was a bit more content for Ciaran but maybe this works out better.

I was actually really surprised that we were able to meet all Four Knights in DS1+AotA, given that Miyazaki like to hide stuff behind item descriptions and lore. If it were up to another developer, say Team Ninja/KT, then we would have had boss battles with all four of them separately, then a 2-on-1 battle, and finally a 4-on-1 give-honor-to-the-dogs gank squad match. Based on what they did with Nioh, NG2 and NG3 :)

For me, the game is absolutely flawless until you grab the Lordvessel. It takes a dip after that IMO, but it's still a fantastic. Glad you enjoyed the game (and series) OP.

I'd like to think it has less to do with the ability to warp per se, but the undeniable decline in the quality of the areas and their interconnectivity after Anor Londo. I do get what you mean though (finding shortcuts to Firelink Shrine was something special in DS1). And I agree the game is still amazing!

The world in Dark Souls 1 is so good. So many memorable places and things that inhabit them.

Yup! Glad I had this chance to experience it firsthand.

You don't really understand why Lost Izalith is hated. They patched it and made it into a joke area with no chance of dying. Those big dudes used to aggro from soooo far away my god it was awful.

Lt.Chips

You don't really understand why Lost Izalith is hated. They patched it and made it into a joke area with no chance of dying. Those big dudes used to aggro from soooo far away my god it was awful.

I did read that the dino butts used to aggro from a distance. I'm glad that I didn't have to suffer through that. People still seem to dislike the area post-patch, though.

Anura

It falls off pretty hard after anor Londo but it wasn't terrible I guess. The thing about the endgame is that all the areas you have to explore are either rushed or is an area that you have seen and explored before. It really looses all sense of adventure once you're just visiting the same old places that you've seen before.

Plus map design ranges anywhere from ok to laughably terrible at the endgame. Seriously, the izalith enemy placement has all the precision and care of the MS paint spray tool.

Combat is nearly as interesting as later games but that can be forgiven.

Toxi

Banned
I think this game most had the feel of "adventure" out of any game in the series. Dark Souls 2 had some of that, Dark Souls 3 had less, but Dark Souls 1 is the game where I most had the feeling of "There is this big wonderful world to explore, and I can't wait!"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I knew both Gael and Artorias are based on Guts from the Berserk comics, but they open the fight with the same "pick up and throw a corpse"?
Play Demon's Souls ;) All throwbacks to good ol' Pen as far as I'm concerned.

If you managed to read all the way down here, I'm sure you noticed one glaring omission from this masterpiece of a series. Perhaps that one will get a remastered treatment at E3, along with DS1? One can hope. In the meantime, I think I'm going to put down the controller and let the Chosen Undead, the Bearer of the Curse, the Ashen One, the Good Hunter take their well-deserved rest.
Ah, I see. We've wanted that for a while but it very likely won't happen. So get a cheap PS3 ;)

I felt the warm emotions that many players must have felt playing the DS series in chronological order. It's ironic, but it works! Given that one recurring theme of DS1 was that time was convoluted and the present affects the past which in turn influences the future, this was quite fitting.
That's pretty cool! Never thought the "nostalgia" would work in reverse too. But why not.

And with that, I can finally say I beat every single boss in the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games. Here are my picks for the best boss in each title:

DS1:
Ornstein & Smough
DS2:
Fume Knight
DS3:
Gael
BB:
Lady Maria
Good picks. Can't really argue with those. ^^ Though I might give the nod to Artorias over S&O, but S&O is sure iconic now.

Gbraga

p0hOOJV.png

Nice thread, brought all the warm feelings back. And it hasn't been that long since I last played it.

I need to get back.

I did read that the dino butts used to aggro from a distance. I'm glad that I didn't have to suffer through that. People still seem to dislike the area post-patch, though.

Yeah, it's still shit.

If anything, it's better to show how bad it is now. People tend to talk shit about areas when they die a lot, even if the actual level design is good. It's when you remove the challenge and it's still garbage that you don't have any excuses anymore, it's just a bad area.

Jigorath

Banned
The game is super pixelated and muddy on my tv :/ is there a PS4 Souls game that's good for beginners ti the series?

Probably Bloodborne. Dark Souls 2: SOTFS is easily the toughest game in the series, and you'll get more out of Dark Souls 3 if you're already familiar with the series. It does a lot to surprise long term fans.

silva1991

When did they patch it? I first played the game in 2013 and I remember actually dying there.

I kinda want to delete every update in my PS3 and visit the area lol.

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls 3. The start is much easier than Bloodborne, and the game is less obtuse than Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin.

Lost Izalith can cause permanent damage to your retinas.

vdgwCeA.jpg

Post-patch it's just kinda boring. Not really much to do but sprint right through it.

Shrine of Amana was similarly nerfed before it came to PC, but even post-patch it's still at least a level.

When did they patch it? I first played the game in 2013 and I remember actually dying there.

I kinda want to delete every update in my PS3 and visit the area lol.

Mephala

Ahhh the wonderful pre-patch experience. I remember getting curse stacked. :\

Lost Izalith was a bad area in so many ways. It felt rushed. The dragon legs should have been fewer and non-respawning with a different set of enemies more carefully placed that are more interesting to fight. Exploration could have been better too.

The glow of the lava made even running through it unpleasant. Bless the PC mod that changes this.

The golem like enemies, fine, they seem mindless and robotic. They are mostly harmless even if one catches you by surprise. The Chaos Eaters look intimidating as fuck but at this point you generally have a decent weapon and they simply are not a threat at all which makes the most dangerous part of the whole area the environmental hazards which is never really fun.

The boss is the worst in the game.

Lt.Chips

Nice thread, brought all the warm feelings back. And it hasn't been that long since I last played it.

I need to get back.

Do it! I definitely see myself revisiting DS1 in the near future, with a totally different character (either as tank-everything Havel or a soul arrow-spamming sorcerer).

Lost Izalith can cause permanent damage to your retinas.

My eyes!!

Ahhh the wonderful pre-patch experience. I remember getting curse stacked. :\

Lost Izalith was a bad area in so many ways. It felt rushed. The dragon legs should have been fewer and non-respawning with a different set of enemies more carefully placed that are more interesting to fight. Exploration could have been better too.

The glow of the lava made even running through it unpleasant. Bless the PC mod that changes this.

The golem like enemies, fine, they seem mindless and robotic. They are mostly harmless even if one catches you by surprise. The Chaos Eaters look intimidating as fuck but at this point you generally have a decent weapon and they simply are not a threat at all which makes the most dangerous part of the whole area the environmental hazards which is never really fun.

The boss is the worst in the game.

I chuckled when I read someone likened the monster placement in Lost Izalith to "baby's first Doom map" where millions of barons of hell and spider mastermind were shoved into a flat area. I think that analogy was spot on.

The first thing that popped in my mind upon seeing the Chaos Eaters was, once again, 'Bloodborne!'. The cosmic horror-esque design of this creature stood out from other inhabitants of Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins.

And the Bed of Chaos is THE worst boss in the series, easy. I hate it with a passion.

DemWalls

I love every game in the series more or less equally, but honestly I found it hard to (re)play DS coming from DS III, a few months ago. The character felt so stiff.

Sephzilla

Having played BB before DS1 also offered me an unique experience in AotA. Visiting Oolacile was great, but when I first saw this guy at a shortcut:

marvellous-chester-large.jpg

Yep. Top hat and the fancy garb. The fact that he was brought here from the future. The way he fights when he invades you - the quick dash, the advanced crossbow, the nimble footwork and the speedy kicks (well, this wasn't in BB). The fact that he was dragged into this world by a mysterious GIANT FUCKING HAND (cough*amygdala*cough, and recall where you get the Top Hat in BB)! Yeah, we were grabbed by Manus' hand here, but the context, the circumstantial evidence here is so enticing. His eerily calm demeanor, almost suggesting that he'd seen worse (#nightofthehunt). Dare I say he was a hunter of beasts in his own time?

KnBhEng.gif

I loved DS1. Artorias is probably my favorite boss fight out of the two games I have played in the series (Demon's and DS1). Maybe someday I will overcome my dislike for the way DS2 handles enemy encounters to play through it and beat it. I still have DS3 ready to go when that happens.

autoduelist

Here's my suggestion.

Wait to E3. Hope upon hope a Demon's Souls remaster is announced.

If not? Buy a used ps3 just to play it.

It will always be my favorite.

Top Bottom