• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Technical Preview Livestream July 28th at 2pm PST

CitizenZ

Banned
This game is launching with 12 extra months of dev. in the fire and if it doesnt come out perfect, they are in trouble. IMO releasing FTP was the best thing they can do to save it because in all honesty, outside the fans, is anyone interested in those modes anymore?

CamHostage

Kind of crazy theres only 40,000 people watching. Figured we see more people tuning in.
They only promoted it at the last minute and didn't promote it everywhere (I guess because it's a preview, it's not on Xbox.com or some other big places.)

...But also, as soon as I saw the invited going out, it totally erased my mind that there was a livestream this week too.

Last edited:

Banned
the game looks good, but I still think clamber has no place in halo.

I actually can deal with the new sprint mechanic they have, which is similar to the one in Splitgate actually, as in you can immediately shoot out of sprint without any delay... but clamber... fuck clamber

YukiOnna

This game is launching with 12 extra months of dev. in the fire and if it doesnt come out perfect, they are in trouble. IMO releasing FTP was the best thing they can do to save it because in all honesty, outside the fans, is anyone interested in those modes anymore?
Considering how much attention they get on social media, I think a lot of people are interested...

elliot5

Xbox One is at 30 fps but it doesn't look that bad. It's pretty impressive it's coming out and how scalable it looks. No Cyberpunk situation here if they were that confident in showing it first.

the game looks good, but I still think clamber has no place in halo.

I actually can deal with the new sprint mechanic they have, which is similar to the one in Splitgate actually, as in you can immediately shoot out of sprint without any delay... but clamber... fuck clamber
Clamber is meh but I think sprint is more meh. It was never needed in any of the first three halo games and those games are widely recognized as the most popular. To me sprint just makes Halo look more like cod or some other generic shooter. Maps are unnecessarily large to account for sprint, which prevents 343 from making the smaller sized arena maps that many Halo fans love. Wizard/Warlock, Longest, Battle/Beaver Creek, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower, Guardian, Lockout, Midship/Heretic. Good luck. Those style maps won't work with sprint or play in the same way and never will. And watching the start stop animation of people about to start sprinting who then stop immediately is annoying as all get out. I enjoyed watching the 1v1 strafe battles from earlier Halo games. That was more organic. Sprint is forced.

Ultimately, I can deal with sprint being in Halo. I enjoyed Halo 5 quite a bit. But I don't think sprint actually adds anything to the game. About the only way to make sprint mean something is by adding the extra abilities that require sprint. Sprinting into a slide for a longer jump for example. Allowing a player to get to a spot that is otherwise unreachable. At least that is useful from a mechanics standpoint and allows for some increased skill in the game. However, I have a feeling that those abilities were removed from Halo 5 to make Halo feel more classic. But Halo will never feel like classic halo with sprint. That's just a fact.

Last edited:

Banned
Can’t wait to pwned noob who play at 30 FPS 😂😂😂

people really underestimate how much of a difference framerate makes in a competitive MP game. for real, base Xbox One users will be fucking destroyed.

ALSO have you noticed how he phrased the info on the FOV slider? I can't remember word for word, but he said something along the lines of "The FOV slider is not PC exclusive but will also be on other systems" which honestly tells me that maybe base Xbox One or even One X will have a fixed FOV, at least on launch.

Last edited:

Banned
Clamber is meh but I think sprint is more meh. It was never needed in any of the first three halo games and those games are widely recognized as the most popular. To me sprint just makes Halo look more like cod or some other generic shooter. Maps are unnecessarily large to account for sprint, which prevents 343 from making the smaller sized arena maps that many Halo fans love. Wizard/Warlock, Longest, Battle/Beaver Creek, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower, Guardian, Lockout, Midship/Heretic. Good luck. Those style maps won't work with sprint or play in the same way and never will. And watching the start stop animation of people about to start sprinting who then stop immediately is annoying as all get out. I enjoyed watching the strafe battles

Ultimately, I can deal with sprint being in Halo. I enjoyed Halo 5 quite a bit. But I don't think sprint actually adds anything to the game. About the only way to make sprint mean something is by adding the extra abilities that require sprint. Sprinting into a slide for a longer jump for example. Allowing a player to get to a spot that is otherwise unreachable. At least that is useful from a mechanics standpoint and allows for some increased skill in the game. However, I have a feeling that those abilities were removed from Halo 5 to make Halo feel more classic. But Halo will never feel like classic halo with sprint. That's just a fact.

I think at this point Clamber is the worse of the 2 evils. Sprint in Infinite looks not much faster than base movement, and you can instantly shoot out of it.

Clamber is the same shit it was in Halo 5, so to me this is now the worst part of what I've seen so far

Only starting to watch now and the first 30 seconds on Bazaar map and I'm already thinking fuuuuck there goes any form of stealth with the friend or foe highlighting players the second they're on screen. Sometimes you can just get away sitting still or crouch walking on parts of a map while hiding in the periphery of an enemy FOV, that's no longer going to be possible. Friend or Foe highlighting is going to be a very different Halo, could be good but given my love of stealth in the classic H1-H3 I'm not going to be stealthing like the old days. The good parts are even surfaces for clean gun fights, aiming, bouncing grenades and that classic Halo predictability during an even fight. Good stuff there. I suppose I should just write up everything together in one post but these two good and bad points hit me right away.

EDIT: Wait no one used the ping system in this preview? Honestly switching between Apex and MCC these days the ping system is a must have. Did I miss it?

EDIT 2: No splitscreen shown. Ugh.

EDIT 3: no BTB or objective shown.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
people really underestimate how much of a difference framerate makes in a competitive MP game. for real, base Xbox One users will be fucking destroyed.

ALSO have you noticed how he phrased the info on the FOV slider? I can't remember word for word, but he said something along the lines of "The FOV slider is not PC exclusive but will also be on other systems" which honestly tells me that maybe base Xbox One or even One X will have a fixed FOV, at least on launch.
Surprisingly on gears 5 on base Xbox one, it has a fov slider too, so maybe halo will too.

Banned
Surprisingly on gears 5 on base Xbox one, it has a fov slider too, so maybe halo will too.

maybe, but the way he said that way weird to me, why not say it is in every version or on every system? why say also on other systems?... it's just weird.
the game is clearly already straining the base Xbox One, so it could be that it was not in the realm of possibilities.

but I mean, we will see tomorrow when people get their hands on it, and if it's not there maybe it will come in a patch later.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
maybe, but the way he said that way weird to me, why not say it is in every version or on every version? why say also on other systems?... it's just weird.
the game is clearly already straining the base Xbox One, so it could be that it was not in the realm of possibilities.

but I mean, we will see tomorrow when people get their hands on it, and if it's not there maybe it will come in a patch later.
Sucks for older console owners as halo 5 and prior titles are 60fps right? Going to be rough for these guys going to 30fps.

Banned
Sucks for older console owners as halo 5 and prior titles are 60fps right? Going to be rough for these guys going to 30fps.

yeah every Halo on base Xbox One is 60fps... this will be jarring for new players that haven't played the og Xbox/360 versions at 30fps before

Last edited:

elliot5

Only starting to watch now and the first 30 seconds on Bazaar map and I'm already thinking fuuuuck there goes any form of stealth with the friend or foe highlighting players the second they're on screen. Sometimes you can just get away sitting still or crouch walking on parts of a map while hiding in the periphery of an enemy FOV, that's no longer going to be possible. Friend or Foe highlighting is going to be a very different Halo, could be good but given my love of stealth in the classic H1-H3 I'm not going to be stealthing like the old days. The good parts are even surfaces for clean gun fights, aiming, bouncing grenades and that classic Halo predictability during an even fight. Good stuff there. I suppose I should just write up everything together in one post but these two good and bad points hit me right away.

EDIT: Wait no one used the ping system in this preview? Honestly switching between Apex and MCC these days the ping system is a must have. Did I miss it?

EDIT 2: No splitscreen shown. Ugh.

EDIT 3: no BTB or objective shown.
?????????

It's been communicated to temper expectations that this technical preview is about 4v4 slayer against bots [4 players v 4 bots], and they announced today that at the end they will try and enable it to be 4v4 pvp (no bots). There should have been no expectation that there would be splitscreen included or BTB or any other game mode???

Banned
E elliot5 So did they confirm if bots are 4v4 only or BTB etc as well? How about campaign, any coop bots there?

the stream today was only about the tech preview build, which is 4v4, 4 players vs 4 bots in social slayer. no splitscreen, no other modes and 3 maps I think.

this is only to test stability, Splitscreen, BTB and other stuff will be tested in later flights

but there is pinging and pinging enemies that get killed soon after actually gives you support points as well

Last edited:
the stream today was only about the tech preview build, which is 4v4, 4 players vs 4 bots in social slayer. no splitscreen, no other modes and 3 maps I think.

this is only to test stability, Splitscreen, BTB and other stuff will be tested in later flights

but there is pinging and pinging enemies that get killed soon after actually gives you support points as well

I read they stated a ping system. I have not seen it in the multi-reveal nor today's tech stream though. Also, they don't want to test bots with an objective social mode? Pretty limited for a game heading into gold cert in about 2-2.5 months from now.

Last edited:
?????????

It's been communicated to temper expectations that this technical preview is about 4v4 slayer against bots [4 players v 4 bots], and they announced today that at the end they will try and enable it to be 4v4 pvp (no bots). There should have been no expectation that there would be splitscreen included or BTB or any other game mode???

Dear god I hope there is at least some period where there is pvp. Not that people who are involved this early on are going to abandon the game because there's no real pvp in the first flight but the ripple effect could be large. Even if it's not ready for prime time, I think they would be well served to at least let us have a go!

Banned
I read they stated a ping system. I have not seen it in the multi-reveal or today's tech stream though. Also, they don't want to test bots with an objective social mode? Pretty limited for a game heading into gold cert in about 2-2.5 months from now.

this is only a stability test. not a real beta. I bet these flights will be very frequent from now on and they said that they will get bigger in scope each time as well.

so I expect a new flight every 2-4 weeks or so

elliot5

Dear god I hope there is at least some period where there is pvp. Not that people who are involved this early on are going to abandon the game because there's no real pvp in the first flight but the ripple effect could be large. Even if it's not ready for prime time, I think they would be well served to at least let us have a go!
I think they will now that the cats out of the bag. They said it would happen if they get the data they were looking for from this preview, and that there will be a bug that will cause the game to start as a 4v3 and backfill in the 4th about 40% of the time, but still its something. It's not meant to be ranked play just testing data so nobody should get pressed about being down a man for a few seconds.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
They mentioned in the video that this is a just one of many tech previews they'll do, so if you don't get in on this one, keep an eye for future events. They said they'll keep scaling up amount of users with future events, too. Also went out their way to say this is *not* a beta test or event.

"Hundreds of thousands of players this weekend". "There will be future opportunities for people to play". "This is the first test and the smallest."

P.S.- My invite was in my secondary email, and in the 'Promotions' tab, not 'Primary' in gmail.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I've not been a major Halo fan in the past, though I've always appreciated the franchise for its impact, especially the Bungie-era games. That said I can't help but be impressed with the absolute turnaround the game's had since the lukewarm (IMO) presentation in July of last year.

Not just that but the actual gunplay in the MP showings of late seems more energetic than what was in that July showcase too, tho you can still tell it's Halo and I think that's a good thing overall. Got the makings for a major success this Fall, tho I'm really interested to see more of the story campaign in particular.

YukiOnna

They said if they hit targets for the bot testing, they'll enable it Sunday eveningish for the remainder of the end of the flight test. I'm assuming next round is when we'll actually get proper PvP testing.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They said if they hit targets for the bot testing, they'll enable it Sunday eveningish for the remainder of the end of the flight test. I'm assuming next round is when we'll actually get proper PvP testing.
Exactly. They are opening up pvp on the last day. Nice little treat.

I think they will now that the cats out of the bag. They said it would happen if they get the data they were looking for from this preview, and that there will be a bug that will cause the game to start as a 4v3 and backfill in the 4th about 40% of the time, but still its something. It's not meant to be ranked play just testing data so nobody should get pressed about being down a man for a few seconds.

Yep, as long as the population is as healthy as we all think it should be, that is far superior an option than not having it at all. Props to 343 for having transparency to this point on a lot of stuff that matters. So looking forward to this.

Top Bottom