• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection development has ceased. Reason was due to lack of microtransactions

Draugoth

Gold Member
mcc-development-got-scrapped-because-it-lacked-v0-qpf9f51gd4nc1.jpeg

•Microsoft officially ended development on MCC last July. Rumor about this circulated last December and the source confirms the rumor.

•MCC doesn’t have a revenue stream which made it hard for 343 Industries to receive development funding from Microsoft

•Microsoft also feared an economic recession

•343 Industries wasn’t happy with Microsoft’s decision

•Reviving development in the future isn’t off the table for 343

Side note: 343 Industries explored the idea of implementing purchasable Spartan Points to create a revenue stream for MCC but scrapped the idea because Halo fans attacked them.

Rebs Gaming leaked (on Twitter) The Crusher (cut enemy from Halo Infinite), Halo Infinite multiplayer and Forge content, release dates for Halo Infinite multiplayer content, and Halo 5 Project Infinity information. Their sources include former developers.

That's a damn shame.

They got it to a pretty decent state with their last update, although there is still no PC splitscreen support and co-op has tons of issues, like crashes and lag spikes.

Recently played through 1, 2, 3, 4, ODST and Reach (SP) with only a small handful of issues.

The lack of Halo 5 is also stands out.

Crossplay ruined the game anyways
Actually, it gave it more players and more life. Your opinion is not valid.

As for the state of the game, I don't think it needs any other development. It rose from the ashes in the best way possible. Just keep the servers up.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Crossplay ruined the game anyways
This is nonsensical, Halo 1-Reach give controller players such an advantage with the bloom and bullet magnetism, you are basically handicapped using a kb+m. As a matter of fact, MCC is one of the ONLY FPS shooters on PC I refuse to play with m+kb because of how aggressively bad it feels in multiplayer. If anything, Infinite is the one where crossplay does hurt console players a lot, the aim assist and bullet magnetism is a lot less strong in that game (as it was designed for PC + Xbox instead of just Xbox/360) so m+kb players are at a huge advantage.

On topic: I find it amusing how 343i is saying "wahhh we wanted to continue working on a game but the meanie halo players didn't want microtransactions!", making the playerbase look bad as if anyone wants these classics desecrated by adding in modern gaming cancer in them. How about 343i didn't outsource the game way back in 2014 and didn't need almost a decade of dev time fixing it (even then its still not 100%) you incompetent morons?
The game is in a much better state now of course, but that was after the B-team of 343i (which I believe consists of a lot of former Bungie devs) took over and fixed it up. They did the best they could, but still the fact that the main leadership of 343i was that fucking stupid to let the original version ship is unbelievable.

Last edited:

FireFly

They can't release a fucking game and move on to the next one, no. It needs to be monetized in some dumb way of course.
Yes, how dare developers try to fix serious game-breaking bugs and preserve the long term future of a classic series.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This is nonsensical, Halo 1-Reach give controller players such an advantage with the bloom and bullet magnetism, you are basically handicapped using a kb+m. As a matter of fact, MCC is one of the ONLY FPS shooters on PC I refuse to play with m+kb because of how aggressively bad it feels in multiplayer. If anything, Infinite is the one where crossplay does hurt console players a lot, the aim assist and bullet magnetism is a lot less strong in that game (as it was designed for PC + Xbox instead of just Xbox/360) so m+kb players are at a huge advantage.

Exactly his point. Cross-play with console cheaters made the game flop on PC.

Happy Merry Christmas GIF by Ed Sheeran

Oppoi

If they’re to continue work on adding content to a remastered collection of games, of course they need a guaranteed revenue stream.

They ‘moved on to the next one’ years ago. What a weird take.
Looks like 343 wanted to continue though, careful licking those corpo boots you're gonna wear them down.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Looks like 343 wanted to continue though, careful licking those corpo boots you're gonna wear them down.

Yes, they wanted to continue, until the backlash and MS intervention. My post clearly details why they would have needed MTX to fund further development.

Is such a simple sentence too difficult for you to parse and comprehend?

Shut0wen

On topic: I find it amusing how 343i is saying "wahhh we wanted to continue working on a game but the meanie halo players didn't want microtransactions!", making the playerbase look bad as if anyone wants these classics desecrated by adding in modern gaming cancer in them. How about 343i didn't outsource the game way back in 2014 and didn't need almost a decade of dev time fixing it (even then its still not 100%) you incompetent morons?
The game is in a much better state now of course, but that was after the B-team of 343i (which I believe consists of a lot of former Bungie devs) took over and fixed it up. They did the best they could, but still the fact that the main leadership of 343i was that fucking stupid to let the original version ship is unbelievable.
Controller auto aim is what ruins the game, play any ranked match and if your team mate has a keyboard they more or less have a horrible k/d ratio

Oppoi

Yes, they wanted to continue, until the backlash and MS intervention. My post clearly details why they would have needed MTX to fund further development.

Is such a simple sentence too difficult for you to parse and comprehend?
So a developer supporting a game for the community and IPs sake wouldn't ever happen under Microsoft? What about the free updates to MSFS? But no, screw the fans, screw the developers and screw the game. If MS says so of course you'll side with them. So fucking soulless.

yurinka

I think revenue from releasing it on PlayStation will be way higher than the ones from these potential microtransactions. I think they'll use the budget and revenue of the port to make any fixes or tweaks left needed.

Shut0wen

Actually, it gave it more players and more life. Your opinion is not valid.

As for the state of the game, I don't think it needs any other development. It rose from the ashes in the best way possible. Just keep the servers up.
Im glad its on pc, just wish keyboard vs keyboard and controller vs controller was mandatory, controllers auto lock is fucking insane and just wipes out those on a keyboard

Nvzman

Controller auto aim is what ruins the game, play any ranked match and if your team mate has a keyboard they more or less have a horrible k/d ratio
In Infinite I play on M+KB and have zero issues, I find the trend of people bitching about auto aim in newer games to be rather annoying, I think its genuinely a skill issue and coping rather than just accepting its not as strong as people think it is

If you mean MCC, thats unfortunately due to how Bungie hard-coded Halo 1-Reach's shooting mechanics. The bullets and hitscan are coded to have strong as hell magnetism properties that essentially can't be fixed without completely reworking the game, 343i has said this for the record iirc.

Last edited:

NickFire

Remember this if you ever hear or read some gaming exec dodge, deflect, or draw praise by referencing some relatively obscure game from 20 years ago.

Unless it is Leisure Suit Larry. Believe.

You son of bitches aren’t DONE!

-Try playing Halo 2 coop online. It crashes constantly, unplayable, especially on legendary

-not all games are coop crossplay, fix it

-should have made ALL the games 4 players coop at this point

Killer8

I wonder if they re-pitched the idea of monetization to players with the caveat that they either accept them to fund ongoing development, otherwise development just stops, those players would reluctantly accept them.

That being said I don't know how much more 343 still needed to do with the game. As long as the servers stay up and the game reasonably active then they've left it in a fine state.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That’s okay. I’d rather development go towards a new Halo game anyway.

Del_X

They can't release a fucking game and move on to the next one, no. It needs to be monetized in some dumb way of course.

I guess they should just pay a development team to keep working on it and have no way of capitalizing on it.

It's the same shit with cars, now. Everyone bitches about connectivity subscriptions for infotainment stuff but they also want ongoing development. I guess people just assume this shit can happen for free.

Ozriel

M$FT
So a developer supporting a game for the community and IPs sake wouldn't ever happen under Microsoft? What about the free updates to MSFS? But no, screw the fans, screw the developers and screw the game. If MS says so of course you'll side with them. So fucking soulless.

You are fucking clueless

Development - new content - is apparently ending for MCC. It’s a collection of old games, afterall, so this isnt surprising. Maintenance Support will most certainly continue. How are the fans that bought a collection of Xbox/360 games being ‘screwed over’ if no more new content is added?

MSFS is a really silly example to use since it was launched as a live service game, has always been a live service game and has a content marketplace to generate revenue via IAPs. Similar to Sea of Thieves with Rare selling pets and livery to fund added content.

Too much outrage + too little knowledge is a bad combination.

Shut0wen

In Infinite I play on M+KB and have zero issues, I find the trend of people bitching about auto aim in newer games to be rather annoying, I think its genuinely a skill issue and coping rather than just accepting its not as strong as people think it is

If you mean MCC, thats unfortunately due to how Bungie hard-coded Halo 1-Reach's shooting mechanics. The bullets and hitscan are coded to have strong as hell magnetism properties that essentially can't be fixed without completely reworking the game, 343i has said this for the record iirc.
Infinte is fine, its more balanced then mcc and yeah it is a magnet, as someone who played nothing but swat it is just unfriendly af toward K&M

Top Bottom