• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

MrFunSocks

Banned
Hell no, those thrusters were game changing. And I didn't fully realize just how much till the very last set of fireteam osiris missions in Halo 5. Being able to jump into the air, and then suddenly change directions mid air was friggin huuuuuge!

If I'm not mistaken, we could also do it after hovering in the air for a little bit too, right?
Yep they were an amazing change that unfortunately has now been removed thanks to the very toxic diehard “classic” halo stalwarts that want no changes at all

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don’t think I’ll put any decent hours into infinite unfortunately purely because I’ve played halo 5 and got used to having that advanced movement and don’t want to go back to not having it. It would be like Titanfall removing wall running to me.

Oh and you might find this a bit funny - I got a warning for console warring in this thread because of what I can only assume is my avatar and the fact that I said that I prefer 5 which apparently means I’m scared of Xbox and don’t want them having a good exclusive lol. Like literally told I’ll be banned next……For console warring…….against Xbox ffs

MrFunSocks

Banned
How is it limited? Halo's gameplay to me was pure because you could always have your gun up and strafing/jumping was key in fights. The simplicity is what is appealing.

For some reason people people think for an fps game to be modern it has to be cluttered with bullshit and be like every other game. Halo 5's "enhanced mobility" was nothing but a gimmick that got in the way of gameplay so it could try and be like Titanfall and CoD at the time. Halo 4 and 5's attempts at Halo/CoD fusion were failures because it didn't feel enough like Halo and wasn't as enjoyable as CoD so they end up not appealing to either of the two groups they were aiming for.

I play modern FPS games all the time but I still come back to MCC because Halo's gameplay is so unique compared to everything else out there. It seems 343 is finally realizing this after 9 years.
Maybe read the rest of the thread, even just the last dozen posts specifically discussing this. Halo “classic” Spartans are the worst super soldiers you could ever ask for, they can only do a slight jog and do floaty jumps.

Halo 5s gameplay was nothing like any of those other games you listed like titanfall or cod. It’s amazing how many people still cling to the “sprint = COD clone” bs. Halo 5 was halo gameplay but with actual Spartans how halo lore describes them.

Last edited:
thrusters are alright.

as a Halo 3 fan all I want is NO FUCKING CLAMBER... and no base movement abilities that limit the use of your weapon/melee/grenade

sadly Halo 5's thrusters did limit that. you couldn't shoot or do anything while using them, which sucks.

if Infinite had thrusters that didn't lower your weapon and let you shoot, throw nades or melee while using them, I would have no issue with them.

but if I was the lead on this game my perfect movement design for it would be:

Omnidirectional Sprint! yes, omnidirectional! Meaning you can Sprint foreads, backwards... any direction you want... YOU ARE A DAMN ROIDED UP, MECHANICALLY ENHANCED SPARTAN AFTER ALL!
you always have your weapon ready as well, while sprinting you only hold it with one hand, so you can not scope in, but that's the only limitation while sprinting. should you scope in your movement speed will go down to walking speed, but scoping in is still instantaneous with no delay

NO CLAMBER!!! fuck that shit!

Double Jump, that lets you change direction mid air and gives you about as much hight it takes to clamber up a wall in Infinite,
basically seamlessly replacing clamber while adding fun movement options.

Slide, you perform it by pressing crouch while sprinting in any direction, or before landing during a jump.
and it would have similar use cases as Thrusters in 5, but you can only do it on the ground, of course

Base movement speed 120% of Reach

Grenade jumps, rocket jumps and similar physics based movement is encouraged

that is my perfect Halo evolution...

Double Jump. Spartan 11.. Dr. Strange. :)

As for the thrusters in the air, you don't have to thrust if you don't wish to, but I suppose if you're going to you wanna at least be able to shoot.

Yep they were an amazing change that unfortunately has now been removed thanks to the very toxic diehard “classic” halo stalwarts that want no changes at all

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don’t think I’ll put any decent hours into infinite unfortunately purely because I’ve played halo 5 and got used to having that advanced movement and don’t want to go back to not having it. It would be like Titanfall removing wall running to me.

Oh and you might find this a bit funny - I got a warning for console warring in this thread because of what I can only assume is my avatar and the fact that I said that I prefer 5 which apparently means I’m scared of Xbox and don’t want them having a good exclusive lol. Like literally told I’ll be banned next……For console warring…….against Xbox ffs

That's surprising, you're actually one of the people I like interacting with most on here because you seem fairly level headed. It never gets overly toxic when you reference me or I reference you, and it's why whenever I see your name, I tend to think "okay, this one won't turn to a total shitstorm" lol.

jigglet

Banned

Wait, what? You got a warning for console warring? All your arguments have been pretty well backed so far, even if they are just your subjective opinion. You've never done a drive by shit post. That's fucking pathetic of both the mods and whoever was butthurt enough to report you. That seems more like a Resetera thing to do.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Maybe read the rest of the thread, even just the last dozen posts specifically discussing this. Halo “classic” Spartans are the worst super soldiers you could ever ask for, they can only do a slight jog and do floaty jumps.

Halo 5s gameplay was nothing like any of those other games you listed like titanfall or cod. It’s amazing how many people still cling to the “sprint = COD clone” bs. Halo 5 was halo gameplay but with actual Spartans how halo lore describes them.

I'm with you - I loved a lot of Halo 5's advanced movements (the thruster mainly, I wouldn't lose any sleep if the rest of them were gone). However you should try Infinite a bit more; being able to reload and recharge your shield while sprinting is a god send, and may make up for some of the other things you feel you've lost. I feel so relieved now being able to do all that stuff while sprinting. I can't say I'll miss the whole "hide somewhere while you recharge" mechanic in Halo 5. That's probably the biggest breath of fresh air for me in Infinite.

The truth is, match making for Halo 5 in every country outside maybe the UK and US is basically dead, and soon it will be dead there too. You'll have no option to keep playing Halo 5. The only way Halo 5 PvP survives is if they port it to PC and massively expand the player pool, and that's not happening. You should really give Infinite another chance.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
By the way everyone I've found a new way to break out of the slide animation.

As you may know pressing sprint again does not break you out of it like many other games - you are locked into the slide animation. The only way is to jump, but that's a bit clunky.

Here's how you do it, while you are sliding, quickly do a 180 to look back, then another 180 to look ahead again. You don't even need to do 180...I think a hair over 90 degrees is enough. Basically a quickly flick of the mouse back and forth.

It 100% works.

So you think it was a complete coincidence that Halo 5 decided to focus on enhanced mobility right after Titanfall popularized it and CoD hopped on the bandwagon in 2014.

It’s amazing how many people still cling to the “sprint = COD clone” bs.
????

343 in Halo 4 and 5 combined added custom loadouts, killstreaks, flinch, ads, etc. It's not a CoD clone but like I said before it is an obvious attempt to force Halo appeal to that crowd.

The real toxicity is you blaming other people for the game changing directions and not Halo 5 being an unsuccessful title. Halo 4 and 5 had their player bases drop off faster than any other Halo game and MCC is currently higher on the Xbox most played list than Halo 5.

Weird you got a warning mate, we might disagree but you're bloody far from console warring. Please don't ban MrFunSocks, he's a solid poster that takes the time to detail a reply/chain.

To your bolded point. They did exactly that with Apex Legends, condensed the sandbox. There's a segment of ultra skilled wall runners still complaining about it but the Apex sandbox is better off now in the larger picture over TF. I'd be happy if they kept TF3 with titans and wall running etc but in reality the best parts of TF were the movement and gunplay. IMO removal of wall running and titans gives room for the best parts of the sandbox to shine and the character abilities to interplay so bloody well in Apex. Loved wall running in TF2 campaign, hated it in multiplayer as it just turned into that random aspect of players traversing map or attack vectors being completely unpredictable and out of nowhere. YMMV. I think it's a solid reference point in a series akin to Halo and what they've done from Halo 5 to Infinite. I hope it proves as popular as the change from TF2 to Apex.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Wait, what? You got a warning for console warring? All your arguments have been pretty well backed so far, even if they are just your subjective opinion. You've never done a drive by shit post. That's fucking pathetic of both the mods and whoever was butthurt enough to report you. That seems more like a Resetera thing to do.
Yep, it's ridiculous. I haven't even owned a playstation since the PS3 lol. I have zero intention to buy a PS4 or 5 because Sony's first party exclusive games are the type of games I hate the most in the gaming world. My avatar is this because I knew it got under someone who is now on my ignore lists skin haha. But yeah, one or more of the people from the "arguments" on the first few pages who accused me of being a sony fanboy and not having played the infinite tech preview, to the point where I literally took a photo of the game running on my xbox and posted it here, must have reported me and the mod must not have actually looked into what was going on and just seen my avatar and gone straight for the warning button lol. Imagine getting a warning for console warring for saying I prefer Halo 5s controls and movement over Halo Infinites lol. Absurd.

Weird you got a warning mate, we might disagree but you're bloody far from console warring. Please don't ban MrFunSocks, he's a solid poster that takes the time to detail a reply/chain.

To your bolded point. They did exactly that with Apex Legends, condensed the sandbox. There's a segment of ultra skilled wall runners still complaining about it but the Apex sandbox is better off now in the larger picture over TF. I'd be happy if they kept TF3 with titans and wall running etc but in reality the best parts of TF were the movement and gunplay. IMO removal of wall running and titans gives room for the best parts of the sandbox to shine and the character abilities to interplay so bloody well in Apex. Loved wall running in TF2 campaign, hated it in multiplayer as it just turned into that random aspect of players traversing map or attack vectors being completely unpredictable and out of nowhere. YMMV. I think it's a solid reference point in a series akin to Halo and what they've done from Halo 5 to Infinite. I hope it proves as popular as the change from TF2 to Apex.
Maybe that's why I couldn't get in to Apex then? I tried to like it because it is the closest thing we're gonna get to a Titanfall game for a while, but the lack of wall running paths and titans just isn't for me. I'm one of the TF players that just loved playing the game while barely touching the ground, jumping into a titan, then when I exit it's straight back to the walls and corridors. I also disliked Titanfall 2 and Apex because I don't like "hero" shooters with unique character abilities, rather I like everyone being equal so skill is what wins. For me, they basically removed everything that I liked about Titanfall 1 in the space of Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends haha. TF2 "dumbed it down" to be more like COD in terms of 3 lane map design and Titans as just being more like temporary kill streaks, and also brought in non customisable classes with unique abilities. They also changed the momentum system which completely changed how it played.

Hopefully Infinite has the ability to do custom games where you all start with the thrusters and they recharge in a few seconds like in 5.

So you think it was a complete coincidence that Halo 5 decided to focus on enhanced mobility right after Titanfall popularized it and CoD hopped on the bandwagon in 2014.

????

343 in Halo 4 and 5 combined added custom loadouts, killstreaks, flinch, ads, etc. It's not a CoD clone but like I said before it is an obvious attempt to force Halo appeal to that crowd.

The real toxicity is you blaming other people for the game changing directions and not Halo 5 being an unsuccessful title. Halo 4 and 5 had their player bases drop off faster than any other Halo game and MCC is currently higher on the Xbox most played list than Halo 5.
The timelines don't add up. Titanfall released in 2014. Halo 5 released in 2015. 343i didn't have time to go back to the drawing boards and completely change how the game plays and how the maps and campaign are designed lol. Thinking that Titanfall and COD in any way affected Halo 5 is crazy talk. COD absolutely jumped on the bandwagon though, due to their yearly releases on the same engine they can do that.

Halo 5 doesn't have custom loadouts in arena, killstreaks at all, or "ADS" as you think it does. Halo 4 was a miss for sure, but that was 343i's first halo game. They wanted to try something new. Halo 5 wasn't an attempt to force halo on the cod crowd, it was to try and bring the franchise into the current year. Like I said before, Halos slow movement and limited controls were a product of their time. The descriptions of spartans in the halo lore and how they play in Halo 1-3 don't match at all.

Halo 5 was successful - it sold 5 million copies in like 3 months. It had a massive launch, iirc at the time it was a franchise high? What you and lots of others don't do is look at the bigger picture. When Halo 3 released it was top dog. There was no competition on Xbox Live. Then COD4 happened. Halo Reach's player base dropped off fast and hard too. Halo 5 exists in a world where a new COD releases every year and sells 20 million, a new battlefield was releasing every year selling 10+ million, and there are half a dozen other big online MP games at any given time. It's not 2007 anymore.

Halo MCC is no doubt back up as high as it is due to the hype around infinite by the crowd that just want Halo 3 all over again. Halo 5 is also 6 years old at this point - the fact that it's even anywhere in the top 50 most played games is pretty insane, especially with game pass being a thing now. MCC was nowhere to be seen on those charts for years because it was so broken. It was basically a new game released in 2020. Back in 2017 - 2 years after halo 5 released - the Halo community still hated it: for example. It was basically re-released in 2020, actually fixed and working now with some massive updates, so it being higher on the charts is in no way surprising.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why I couldn't get in to Apex then? I tried to like it because it is the closest thing we're gonna get to a Titanfall game for a while, but the lack of wall running paths and titans just isn't for me. I'm one of the TF players that just loved playing the game while barely touching the ground, jumping into a titan, then when I exit it's straight back to the walls and corridors. I also disliked Titanfall 2 and Apex because I don't like "hero" shooters with unique character abilities, rather I like everyone being equal so skill is what wins. For me, they basically removed everything that I liked about Titanfall 1 in the space of Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends haha. TF2 "dumbed it down" to be more like COD in terms of 3 lane map design and Titans as just being more like temporary kill streaks, and also brought in non customisable classes with unique abilities. They also changed the momentum system which completely changed how it played.

Hopefully Infinite has the ability to do custom games where you all start with the thrusters and they recharge in a few seconds like in 5.

I too was all about the even starts AKA classic Doom/Quake multi, Unreal, default Halo, trialled MLG and hated it, then found myself exploring PUBG etc but stuck with Apex as it's so very close to Halo in terms of shields, weapons, movement, TTK etc. Honestly the balancing and interplay of the character traits is insanely good with Apex if you take the time to learn the meta. I never went for things like Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch etc. Played them in a team with buddies and just didn't like them. I have enjoyed things like Rogue Company, Valorant etc somewhat but it's never what I play day to day like Apex or Halo.

They condensed more even i.e. there isn't things like a rocket launcher in Apex. Honestly it makes the game better for it, there are times I miss fighting for that launcher and making a team wipe with it but the sandbox is actually better and more tactical without it. I guess I feel the same around wall running and dash etc.

Last edited:
What's weird is I'm hearing many say the aiming is perfectly fine. Make sure everybody has their latest controller firmware. I'm wondering if maybe not updating the controller firmware is leading to worse results than some would otherwise be getting. Go into settings and update your firmware if it hasn't been, just in case.
I find it slightly harder to aim in Infinite than say Halo 5 but I'm getting older so 🤷

Mr.ODST

I work professionally in the esports space and follow Halo esports and its communities closely (Since competing back in Halo 2 days).

Halo 5 was extremely departed from catering to casuals and this is why the game fell off, most young people or userbase that make up these huge numbers in COD etc dont know what Halo is nor did they own an Xbox due to Xbox One era (so their friends got PS4's. then their mates got PS4's etc) and anybody that did play Halo 5 and you wanted to play as a casual it was extremely unfriendly.

I was teaching one of my esports classes and I used Halo 5 as an example of how not catering to casuals will kill your game, so I got a ton of parents, avid FPS players and more to play it and I took all of their feedback here was the biggest changes.

1. You only needed one weapon, Power Weapons felt redundant (Starting Pistol)
2. Extremely sweaty from the get-go (PlayerBase mainly only consisting of high-end players) which tbf is expected of a title of this age
3. Movement was complex in areas, hard to understand
4. Not much gameplay variety outside of movement (Weapons).
5. Too Slow

I agree with most of these comments, Halo Infinite is 100% trying to cater to casuals and make the gameplay loop ALOT more interesting and varied, this is why we have so much going on compared to Halo 5, Casuals will be the ones that spread the word of the game, they will be the one that fills the servers and potential MTX's, Unfortunately, games like COD, FIFA are the only thing most people play these days, so if their only exposure is COD then these comments are pretty much what your going to get when playing older Halos, I don't see that issue with Infinite, while I don't agree with every change, im not their main target audience (Halo Vet) as we are such a small number, they are trying to keep that Halo DNA while also making it accessible as possible to a ton of new players.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yep, it's ridiculous. I haven't even owned a playstation since the PS3 lol. I have zero intention to buy a PS4 or 5 because Sony's first party exclusive games are the type of games I hate the most in the gaming world. My avatar is this because I knew it got under someone who is now on my ignore lists skin haha. But yeah, one or more of the people from the "arguments" on the first few pages who accused me of being a sony fanboy and not having played the infinite tech preview, to the point where I literally took a photo of the game running on my xbox and posted it here, must have reported me and the mod must not have actually looked into what was going on and just seen my avatar and gone straight for the warning button lol. Imagine getting a warning for console warring for saying I prefer Halo 5s controls and movement over Halo Infinites lol. Absurd.

The timelines don't add up. Titanfall released in 2014. Halo 5 released in 2015. 343i didn't have time to go back to the drawing boards and completely change how the game plays and how the maps and campaign are designed lol. Thinking that Titanfall and COD in any way affected Halo 5 is crazy talk. COD absolutely jumped on the bandwagon though, due to their yearly releases on the same engine they can do that.

Halo 5 doesn't have custom loadouts in arena, killstreaks at all, or "ADS" as you think it does. Halo 4 was a miss for sure, but that was 343i's first halo game. They wanted to try something new. Halo 5 wasn't an attempt to force halo on the cod crowd, it was to try and bring the franchise into the current year. Like I said before, Halos slow movement and limited controls were a product of their time. The descriptions of spartans in the halo lore and how they play in Halo 1-3 don't match at all.

Halo 5 was successful - it sold 5 million copies in like 3 months. It had a massive launch, iirc at the time it was a franchise high? What you and lots of others don't do is look at the bigger picture. When Halo 3 released it was top dog. There was no competition on Xbox Live. Then COD4 happened. Halo Reach's player base dropped off fast and hard too. Halo 5 exists in a world where a new COD releases every year and sells 20 million, a new battlefield was releasing every year selling 10+ million, and there are half a dozen other big online MP games at any given time. It's not 2007 anymore.

Halo MCC is no doubt back up as high as it is due to the hype around infinite by the crowd that just want Halo 3 all over again. Halo 5 is also 6 years old at this point - the fact that it's even anywhere in the top 50 most played games is pretty insane, especially with game pass being a thing now. MCC was nowhere to be seen on those charts for years because it was so broken. It was basically a new game released in 2020. Back in 2017 - 2 years after halo 5 released - the Halo community still hated it: for example. It was basically re-released in 2020, actually fixed and working now with some massive updates, so it being higher on the charts is in no way surprising.

Your posts here are just so good! Especially with respect to how Halo dropped off. People blame 343 all the time, but they forget that COD really took off, and the decline in the halo player base already started before Reach was released.

there is a core group of angry people that continue to resist every change to Halo. And 343i get viciously attacked by these folks. You can see why they’ve been basically cowed into rolling back much of the changes introduced with Halo 5.

ZywyPL

Banned
I dunno, I give up. The halo diehards just want Halo 3 repackaged over and over and over.

The game for me is the Gran Turismo of FPS - pretty on the outside, with great core gameplay, but mentally/mechanically stuck 20 years ago when it comes to everything else, because of rabid die-hard fans who are afraid of any change. Why there aren't separate game modes for example? I don't want to play CTF, especially such shitty one where you can't shoot once picked up the flag. Not a big fan of Domination either, never was. So why on earth in 2021 I cannot select Slayer and play just that over and over? Enemies not showing up on map when shooting unless you are on the same elevation level doesn't make much sense as well, you often end up hearing gunfights not knowing where to go until you climb up/drop down.

I could go on and on with the list, but the bottom line is, for someone like me who has never been into Halo and only played H5 for only like 2-3 months (for a lot of reasons the upcoming game shares), Infinite is basically the exact same game but with worse movement (H5 was so damn good in that regards, it's sad that 343 listened to all the "sprint is game-breaking!" crowd) and slightly less useless assault rifle this time around. Gonna give it another go in the upcoming test, but I already know I won't stick with the game for more than 2-3 months after launch, I'll most likely have this love-hate relationship all over again, where the hate will only keep growing the more I play.

And with that being said, I honestly don't think the game will lure any new crowd who was never into Halo, despite being F2P and widely accessible, because other than the visuals it's such an outdated game really. You basically run with 2 guns most of the time to begin with, where one is some basic, dull pistol, and the other is one of the most useless assault rifle in FPS history, this aspect alone will make people bored with the game very fast. The whole arena shooter concept might sound good in modern times of BR titles, which are basically the same concept except on a larger scale, but as opposed to BR there are such a few weapons to pick on the map, with long respawn times on top, that you end up running with the two basic boring guns 90% of the time. The lack of mentioned game modes is also a bizarre concept nowadays. Like I said, I could go on and on with the list of things that prevents Halo from reaching a new audience, why they keep sticking with CoD, Fortnite etc., but I might be wrong, maybe somehow being both F2P and available on last-gen, new-gen and PC will make it the most popular Halo title ever, but if the game won't be at least as big as Sea of Thieves, I think 343 will have to consider cutting the roots of the franchise, sort of soft-rebooting it, and leave behind the crowd who literally just want a H3 remaster.

Banned
Clamber I like even if it has double jump tbh, purely because it makes sense - if you can get that close to a ledge then why wouldn’t you be able to grab it and climb up? That’s what you’d do in real life, especially as a Spartan in a firefight.

It makes sense, but it's bad for gameplay imo. it slows down movement, you lower your weapon and it makes trick jumps and knowing the map less powerful.
In Halo 3 you can do every advanced jump forwards, backwards, sidewards... any direction you like, all while still engaging in combat and firing at your enemy.
that to me says "super solider" way more than a guy that has to turn around in order to get up some ledge.

and a double jump would add to that, clamber on the other hand makes gameplay slower and less skillful while also making it basically a necessity to use because some jumps simply don't work in any other way. This is why I am not a fan of it. Without clamber, maps would be designed around the jump height you have, with clamber they are designed around how high you can grab a ledge from below. Infinite's maps do this a lot for example.

ALTHOUGH, if clamber worked in any direction + without lowering your weapon... I mean, it's a Spartan after all, one arm to lift yourself up should be enough right? and doing it backwards should be no issue for such a trained and steroid filled tank lol.
IN THAT CASE, clamber would work for me.
for me it's all about nothing being in the way between you and shooting at your enemy, as soon as you do something that stops you from doing that, that's not Halo to me... but everything else is fair game for me.

MrFunSocks

Banned
MrFunSocks MrFunSocks You may have just been granted a wish by the prophets mate.

Thruster is back as equipment. Apparently it has a rare chance to spawn in the last preview and Greenskull got some footage -

Hopefully there are some modes or at least the ability to make custom modes where you start with it!

I can live without the shoulder charge and ground pound, but thrusters immensely add to the game imo.

jigglet

Banned
MrFunSocks MrFunSocks You may have just been granted a wish by the prophets mate.

Thruster is back as equipment. Apparently it has a rare chance to spawn in the last preview and Greenskull got some footage -

oh my!!!

I really hope some gadgets allow you to pick up like 2-3 at a time, and don't force you to collect them one by one. I think that would suit a few gadgets, like grapple and thrust. Multiple grapples allow you to do some really nice chains, and multiple thrusters allows you to make some really cool plays. Obviously it wouldn't suit things like overshield and repulsor though.

oh my!!!

I really hope some gadgets allow you to pick up like 2-3 at a time, and don't force you to collect them one by one. I think that would suit a few gadgets, like grapple and thrust. Multiple grapples allow you to do some really nice chains, and multiple thrusters allows you to make some really cool plays. Obviously it wouldn't suit things like overshield and repulsor though.

Yes they're like that already, one pickup has 3 uses. I think some of the games I played grapple was 3 to 5 uses depending on the mode etc.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Yes they're like that already, one pickup has 3 uses. I think some of the games I played grapple was 3 to 5 uses depending on the mode etc.

Gotcha. I thought it was just for the beta, I thought maybe they gave us multiples in order to test it more... but it wouldn't be that way for the live build. If it is, then it's perfect. They've really struck a nice balance between 3 and 5 IMO.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think jigglet jigglet means to actually have grapple and thrust at the same time, rather than one or the other? I agree that would be amazing, but it doesn't look like you can.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I think jigglet jigglet means to actually have grapple and thrust at the same time, rather than one or the other? I agree that would be amazing, but it doesn't look like you can.

Nope he got it right, I just meant being able to pick up more than 1 at a time.

The problem with only having one at a time is you're always saving it for that one important moment, and you're scared of wasting it. When games do this it feels like it's almost pointless having the item when you're too afraid to use it until the time is right. But if you can pick up 3-4-5 at a time...then hell yes, it finally becomes a real part of your kit, instead of this rare thing you might get to use if you're skilled enough to get it and use it at the exact right moment.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Hopefully there are some modes or at least the ability to make custom modes where you start with it!

I can live without the shoulder charge and ground pound, but thrusters immensely add to the game imo.
They will probably make some Halo 5 style playlists where thruster is always active.
The same way they made the Halo 2 BR or Halo 1 pistol playlists in H5.
Very cool thruster is still in the game in some capacity.

Halo 4 also had a boost which I used exclusively.

The overriding amount of positive articles I've read over the last few days is absolutely amazing. Halo MP is back at the top unless what they haven't shown is terrible. I'm just hoping campaign is just as good 🙏

jigglet

Banned
Performance really has improved. I was getting 60fps 90% of the time before on my GTX1060. Now its 75% 99% of the time.

However when it judders, it judders much harder than it used to. I'm seeing huge 40% dips every minute or so.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Performance really has improved. I was getting 60fps 90% of the time before on my GTX1060. Now its 75% 99% of the time.

However when it judders, it judders much harder than it used to. I'm seeing huge 40% dips every minute or so.
are you hard locked min/max fps? that took care of the dips for me. You'll just lose some res instead

jigglet

Banned
are you hard locked min/max fps? that took care of the dips for me. You'll just lose some res instead

Ok I just rebooted and there's no difference. It has huge judders.

However it only seems to affect Bazar. When I switched to Live Fire it was smooth as hell. I then went back to Bazar and it's juddering again.

EDIT: And I just tested Behemoth and it's also smooth. I'm surprised as it's the biggest map so I expected more performance issues. It's just Bazar that's fucked.

Overall I'm pleased. 75fps locked means 60 guaranteed even in the worst situations (e.g. huge BTB with heaps of players). And this game looks great even on the lowest settings. They've done a great job for supporting such old graphics cards.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Ok I just rebooted and there's no difference. It has huge judders.

However it only seems to affect Bazar. When I switched to Live Fire it was smooth as hell. I then went back to Bazar and it's juddering again.
bazaar has always been the toughest for me... very dense level with a lot of textures and shadows. Running on low preset helps if you're not... game still looks nice enough

should also mention I have vsync on in nvidia control panel, off in game, async compute on

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Also for PC gamers on older cards, don't forget - half the graphics settings have almost zero impact on your GPU, and only consumes VRAM / CPU (there's a commonly propagated myth that better texture quality affect GPU performance...that's BS, it's all about VRAM). You can set them all to Ultra without any impact to your performance.

On my crusty five year old GTX1060 I tested it with all settings at low with an uncapped framerate and it struggles to breach an average of about 75-80fps.Then I turned half my settings from Low to Ultra and the performance is identical. To remove outliers, I set a 75fps cap and changing almost half my settings from Low to Ultra has not moved the needle in the slightest. It stays locked at 75fps regardless of my video settings.

I'm referring to these settings in particular - all of these have a negligible impact on GPU and only really affect VRAM or CPU so feel free to go nuts on them:

Anti-aliasing, texture filtering, texture filtering, ambient occlusion, texture quality, geometry quality, ground cover quality, decal quality, terrain quality

I can't believe how good this looks and how well it runs on a 5 year old GPU without render scaling. And my CPU is only 6c6t. 343i have done a great job optimising this, and the game isn't even out yet!

Last edited:
i was selected for next session.
Is there something not VS ?
I suck and won't play if only versus.
There are bots mate, you can configure how many friend and foe bots in custom games basically. It's good fun. Oh and there is also a training drill academy for all the weapons available, 1-3 star tiers to learn to use them.

Top Bottom