• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Ray Tracing arrives in March with Season 3

Draugoth

Gold Member

haloinfinite.jpeg

Halo Infinite ray tracing arrives in March.
AMD has just revealed that Halo Infinite will get ray tracing support in Season 3. During AMD’s next-gen GPU event, the company revealed Halo Infinite will get ray-traced shadows in Arena and Big Team Battle modes, with improved lighting, sharper shadows, and increased performance on RX 7000 GPUs. 343 Industries delayed Halo Infinite Season 3 to March, and it’s set to include additional forge updates, in-game reporting, new maps, and new abilities.

Banned
yay RT shadows... the cheapest and least impactful RT effect!!!

🙃

but who needs RT reflections? it's not like you're often walking through gigantic walls of super reflective forerunner structures or anything! naaahhh couldn't be! 🤣 Shadows are enough! totally!...

😩

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
yay RT shadows... the cheapest and least impactful RT effect!!!

🙃

but who needs RT reflections? it's not like you're often walking through gigantic walls of super reflective forerunner structures or anything! naaahhh couldn't be! 🤣 Shadows are enough! totally!...

😩
Thought I saw something that they can go further into the distance. That would be very helpful due to shadows disappearing in the distance

kiphalfton

Never understand why none of these comparisons don't just MIRROR the image. Would make it a lot more obvious what the difference is.

OZ9000

Banned
Looks like another pointless checkbox addition.

In 95% of games with RT, there is no obvious difference with RT on and off during gameplay.

Control is probably the only game where the game suffers without RT. I can't think of any other game where RT is essential to increasing the graphical quality.

Perhaps next gen we will see a better implementation of RT, especially if they use RTGI.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Ray traced shadows when you already have screen space shadows implemented seems like total a waste of resources imo.

It's not RT Global Illumination, and it's not RT Reflections. With the performance hit RT has (even shadows), it can only be justifiably used it if it has such a substantial fidelity increase that it exceeds that hit.

Last edited:
This should be one of your top tier studios, it’s supposed to be the most powerful console (you notice how that’s gone quiet) yet this, their biggest IP, is getting treated like a Car building magazine subscription. It’s so bland looking too.

Compare it to what the competition is putting out it’s a disgrace.

Look at the original trailer for the game, how the usual blue tick brigade were hyping up that engine and this is what is served up.

I’m well aware of the pandemic , every other studio had to go through it too!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Every second spent on upgrading this game and engine is a second wasted.

Ditch the game. Ditch the engine. Pick UE5 and start fresh. No more 10 year plan. Take the next 3 years and produce a decent 10-15 hour campaign.
Or id Tech. I’d just add ditch the studio too. Or turn them in to a support studio for XGS.

Halo. The reason I bought an OG Xbox and the reason I stuck with Xbox as my primary console. I’m a fool.

I've found plenty to love in Gamepass and F2P, more than I/we can play even. Halo ain't what it used to be. Hopefully the new Battle Royale-esque mode is a return to form.

haloinfinite.jpeg

EDIT: Honestly sitting a couple of feet away from one of my 4K monitors showing this image and I cannot for the life of me pic out any tangible differences. The slipsplace engine is such a turd.

Last edited:

benno

Honestly sitting a couple of feet away from one of my 4K monitors showing this image and I cannot for the life of me pic out any tangible differences. The slipsplace engine is such a turd.
Because the video is demonstrating the ray tracing shadows of the jeep and the image you have is a still image which you can't move the slider and see the shadow of the jeep change.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t tell the difference, although I am on my phone so that might be it.

On one hand I’m happy to hear this promise wasn’t forgotten, on the other it’s disappointing it’ll not be available on console..

Because the video is demonstrating the ray tracing shadows of the jeep and the image you have is a still image which you can't move the slider and see the shadow of the jeep change.
Yeah, but you can see a number of other shadow differences that really don't equate to much in my opinion. Here's some colour coded points I compared.

WgloMWl.jpg

Top Bottom