• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Creative Director Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Oh yeah, nobody noticed Druckman rebooted the game mid way? People noticed and still bitch about some parts of the story :LOL:, but you are probably an Uncharted 4 super lover, I just kind of like the game so we will have to agree to disagree (btw, rebooted not just one year before launch, so at least the game was rebooted much earlier along the way)

I think you should look up my post history if you think I'm an Uncharted super lover lol. The only reason I play Uncharted is the story and 4 still come across fine. The actual game play is absolute shit house but.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think you should look up my post history if you think I'm an Uncharted super lover lol. The only reason I play Uncharted is the story and 4 still come across fine. The actual game play is absolute shit house but.
Yeah, I know you are not an Uncharted super lover ;).

If the engine, tools, assets are all in good order and the developer is fundamentally sound you can still do a lot in more than a year. Gameplay is going to be significantly based around multiplayer requirements anyway.

Mary Olsen has been one of the production leads for at least a year (this post about being a producer sept 2018) and probably longer. She references audio features cut from Halo 5 as "painful".

She'll already be intimately acquainted with the game, the teams, the personalities and decision making at a very high level. She probably got the job because she's the best person to take up the role. And she's already being doing it for "weeks".

These are huge teams and co-ordinating people's work and keeping focused on what the experience should be is key. Halo 5 campaign was disappointing. I'm fine with someone else having a shot, even now.

Dane

Except Halo Infinite is due to be released next year & is probably already completed from a design standpoint (or at least it should be) & they should now be theoretically working on finishing what they've already greenlit, i.e. not hiring a new creative director who'd somehow magically fix everything wrong with Tim Lango's vision in 12 months or so. He was hired to be Halo Infinite's creative director, after all, ergo it's not as if they're starting from scratch, no, we're talking about a game already nearing its final phase of completion (if the dev cycle is 4/5 years since 2015).

The only way this news can be interpreted is either A/his work is already done & he's moving on whilst the rest of the team finishes the game or B/his creative direction was shite, he's been booted out the door & they're rebooting huge parts of the project. One theory is more alarmist than the other, obviously.

Its basically standard in the industry that a lot of the development of the game doesn't come from a stable progress over the time, but rather that around the mid to end of the development is done by crunching it.

Halo 2 had to be modified and shit around the beginning of 2004, just a mere year or less to the launch, when they realized that they couldn't reproduce the exact game they shown at the E3 2003.

Considering that a near final build for such game is made around 3-4 months before the release, the team does have time to make substantial changes to the content, but not to the point of scrapping most of it, unless they delay it for a year.

Darrec

Neo Member
I don't think it's something to worry about this late into development since Infinite is the Halo game with the most dev time put into it (4 years so far) and the cutscene shown at E3 was confirmed to be the opening cutscene for the actual game.
Also let me remind you that Longo was in charge of Halo 5's campaign as well, if anything he should've left years ago.

VertigoOA

Banned
Lol. Get fucked stinkles and your shit games.

343 are hacks and cover band. Halo 5 is the worst AAA budgeted shooter like fucking ever.

Halo has been dead. Doesn’t even chart highly on ms’ own platform — outperformed as whole by Black Ops 3 on the 360. They’re a disgrace. News at 11.

Infinite is fucked. There is now way it won’t be another huge turd like 5 at this point. I won’t be surprised if it’s delayed 3 years now. It’s 343... they have a track record of constant fail. No reason to have faith whatsoever.

343 steals other people’s work. Has all the tools and money... and still sucks balls. Parting with Bungie cost MS the generation and its overall brand strength. It was all built on halo and it’s gone.

Hope this sucka enjoys his new job at Taco Bell. Earned it. Not sorry.

He’s the Rian Johnson of Halo. Except MS forgot to pay off critics like Disney.

Last edited:
Halo Infinites is fucked.

Apparently he left because they wanted to write in a sex change for Marcus Fenix where he turns into Marny Fenix and brings up his lesbian daughter on a vegan farm.

Zannegan

Lol. Get fucked stinkles and your shit games.

343 are hacks and cover band. Halo 5 is the worst AAA budgeted shooter like fucking ever.

He’s the Rian Johnson of Halo. Except MS forgot to pay off critics like Disney.

I'm always down for a bit of well-earned schadenfreude, but there is such a thing as going too hard, you know.

The Rian Johnson comparison is a low blow. Lol.

Last edited:
It's fucking scary the similarities to Anthem's development before its launch. Look some of us want Halo to return to its glory days. I am one of them. This news... this is not indicative of it. I get it, you root for Microsoft no matter what. That's your thing. It's like a fucking sport's team for you or some stupid shitty rationalization for being a fanboy. But, a lead Creative Director leaving close to one year before launch implies one of two things: A) He wasn't liking the direction corporate was forcing on him. B) He was doing a bad job and Corporate is switching gears with a year left, thus making the work up until now "not great".

Also consider this: When you match them up in development cycles (meaning a year out from launch), we saw and knew more about Anthem in gameplay footage than we know about Halo Infinite. That is really worrying. I am hoping this game gets delayed. Fucking take your time 343. Don't pull an Anthem,

Last edited:
This is either just a career decision and Halo is basically finished anyways besides polish, or it's super troublesome.
Time will tell. So far we did no hear about any development woes, so the former is much more likely.

Klayzer

dont worry guys ninja will save halo
I know you're being sarcastic, but Ninja will bring new fans to Halo. How many remains to be seen. Say what you will about certain streamers, but they have an unbelievable amount of influence on what games some people purchase.

They're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Didn't David Jaffe leave Santa Monica while they were working on God of War 3?

These things happen.

That being said, they are not coming off of God of War 2, they don't have Cory Balrog (he should change his last name)... so no matter how you slice it it's probably not a very good news.

Last edited:
And the die hard Microsoft apologists.
Sure, I guess. But some people make this sound like it’s the death of Halo but as we move forward it seems creative directors leave fairly regularly during the development of AAA games that still end up being successful.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have little hope for this game. After Halo 4 and Halo 5, I can’t get excited anymore.

VertigoOA

Banned
The death of Halo happened a long time ago. When the last game was released... Reach

Yea creative directors leaving during development is a recipe for success especially when considering ... Anthem. Lol

Success stories coming out of troubled development only happens at talented studios like Bungie which encountered problems with nearly every release they’ve ever had.

Talented developers... not no talent hacks like 343.

Their best release is a collection games they never made... and they fucked that up for the first two years it was available.

I mean there’s a reason this is gonna be free on gamespass. 343 cratered the value of the IP. They’d have to give it away and hope it isn’t a massive stinkles (he’s a bitch) like Halo 5.

Worst AAA shooter campaign of all time is Halo 5. Not even debatable. Just trash all around.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Wrong. I like the Halo universe, but find the gameplay boring with slow and not very exciting firefights. Unengaging enemy design and weapons. I struggled through the first game, and gave up on Halo 2 halfway through. Gave it another shot with Halo 5, but couldn't finish it. Perhaps it would suit me better as a movie.
I appreciate loving a universe but not being into the gameplay, but this would be fucking over the people who already love Halo so it might suit your interests. Emphasis on MIGHT.

NeoGiffer

Can't wait to see which diversity hire with zero industry experience takes his place.

081b584c61c60c96b9cae62719379d6c.jpg

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned

Halo 5 is cuurently ranked 32nd on Xbox live. One spot ahead of Fallout 76. Halo 5 is free on gamespass...

Destiny 2 is ranked 10th and cost day 1 players close to 200$.

So yea... parting with Bungie lost MS the generation.

I know the nonsense people say about halo 5 having the best pvp in the series... that of course is complete bs. The proof is no one giving a shit even when it’s free.

Halo 5 is a bad as Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and more offensive to fans than the last Jedi.

343 are the Rian Johnson of Halo. Hacks...

Last edited:

Klayzer

Sure, I guess. But some people make this sound like it’s the death of Halo but as we move forward it seems creative directors leave fairly regularly during the development of AAA games that still end up being successful.
Not denying that. I'm certainly not predicting the death of Halo. In fact, I think Microsoft is making sure that this Halo will be kind of a reboot of the series. I'm expecting big things in this upcoming chapter.

Riven326

Banned

Halo 5 is cuurently ranked 32nd on Xbox live. One spot ahead of Fallout 76. Halo 5 is free on gamespass...

Destiny 2 is ranked 10th and cost day 1 players close to 200$.

So yea... parting with Bungie lost MS the generation.

I know the nonsense people say about halo 5 having the best pvp in the series... that of course is complete bs. The proof is no one giving a shit even when it’s free.

Halo 5 is a bad as Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and more offensive to fans than the last Jedi.

That's pretty much how I felt after I played 5. The game was such a disaster, it killed the franchise for me.

DanielsM

Banned

Replaying H:CEA right now in 3D, I still think its a real good game after 18 years, although some of the game play is a little dated. Somehow, I have a copy of H4 here, to me that is Bioshock Infinite bad for me. I kind of gave up on Halo, after 3, but I've played them all through 4 - just turned into a meh series to me after the first couple. H2 MP was fun, HCE was a great all around product.

Unless someone knocked the ball out of the field on both the single and multi-player game front I'm confused as to why they think GaaP would be a better idea. I think there has been massive selling to Nadella as to the "services", and now everyone is locked in, but they have no real experience in doing it... even developers like Bungie, EA and Ubisoft are massive struggles in this area even after 5-8 years.

Last edited:
I know you're being sarcastic, but Ninja will bring new fans to Halo. How many remains to be seen. Say what you will about certain streamers, but they have an unbelievable amount of influence on what games some people purchase.

By the time this is released no-one will remember who that guy was.

The creative director is like the most important person in the development, you just can´t leave in the middle of making the fucking game. It´s your vision and you who takes all the important decisions, instructing the team, greenlighting ideas, shaping the story and characters, wtf, it´s like Hideo Kojima or Hidetaka Miyazaki just suddenly decided to leave during the directing of Death Stranding or Elden Ring.

No, I would say good Producers are. I guess you must think that Doom Enteral is in trouble and going to be crap because Tim Willits left id with the game months away from shipping

Last edited:

EDMIX

This is a huge deal, no one ever leaves a team, clearly something bad is happening with the development because for the most part, a team that makes a game stays the same 100% of the time. /s

Maybe if we got news like this EVERYTIME someone left a team daily folks would realize this is normal. I'd argue its not normal for a team to 100% stay the same from beginning to end of development, most of gaming is contracted. I think because some publishers and even developers themselves don't really say it often, it leads to this strange belief that something is wrong. So folks...I hate MS more then the next guy, but nothing happening here is unusual or strange or rare or anything like that. Not everyone leaving a team needs this MASSIVE amount of speculation of dooooooom as I'd argue, do some of you really think right now, no one is leaving your favorite publishers? If we just go based on the media, a industry with literally hundreds of thousands of developers only had a hand full of people leave a team, like single digit? .....that doesn't sound like those are all the facts, that sounds like people think when they read stuff like this that such a thing is only happening to this team, to this publisher to this person today.

That might be why everyone things its some weird thing when it happens. So I don't think 100% of the time when someone leaves a team that its something always reported by the media.

lucius

I just dont see how any Halo fan could have played Halo 5 campaign and said ehh lets go with same guy again, the campaign is a total mess. I always assumed they had mostly new people doing the campaign inside 343.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They, actually got rid of lots of Halo 5 staffs in the last 3 years. This includes Kenneth Scott(Corrine Yu's husband) and Kazuma Jinnouichi. I can only see this as a good sign. We don't even know what his involvement was with Halo Infinite, so stop complaining.

lucius

He was creative director that’s not a small role according to posts but we’re suppose to have blind faith again when the same thing was said before 5 , at least there still MCC which was updated good many years after release, but the main source material of that was good already, u can’t fix a turd like Halo 5 campaign no matter how hard you tried, need to start over.

Yoda

I don't want to be the bearer of more discouraging news

x95887954302.png

This is a serious miscalculation on Microsoft Game Studio's part; the point of Halo is to get people invested in their ecosystem, not be another drop in the GaaS cesspool. You'd really have to live in an echo chamber to see the reception from MCC/Halo 5 and say: "What we need to do is make this more like CoD/Fortnite."

You know, this makes me mad in all kinds of ways. Halo has to be the easiest game to write a good story about. Why do they need 4-5 years of development for what is essentially a linear shooter. MS has no one else to blame but themselves. The stories this dev has come up with are laughable. A cringe worthy love story with a weak antagonist that ends on a cutscene, basically. H5, lets introduce a new hero (again) and promise to have you play as Chief but really, it's Locke's game. Oh, and that sacrifice from the last game, She is the big bad now.

Who green lit making Microsoft's Siri the villain who wants to kill everyone? I'm sorry but CoD can do it, even Gears can do it. You should be able to get these games out without building a new team every time. Halo Waypoint, dumped in the garbage. Do they even update the Halo channel anymore? Even the animated Fall Of Reach, it's not nearly the whole book. 3 books to introduce what was going to be a new trilogy and they kill off the Didact in a comic. It's like they don't want people invested.

I know we love Halo but it's just a linear shooter with some (sometimes) nice multiplayer. They need to clean house in that 343 studio. Get Statin back in there. The first 3 games had all the core elements of a 3 act structure. Introduce threat, against all odds, hero's journey, trusted ally. Second game, everything goes to shit, Earth in danger of falling to Reach's fate. Cortana stays behind. Ends on cliff hanger. H3, heroes rally against incoming threat. Global battle, heroes die. Enemies unite against the larger threat, third act rally, Humanity is saved.

Get away from these isolated stories. Introduce a new, humanity threatening force. It's not hard.

FireFly

This is a serious miscalculation on Microsoft Game Studio's part; the point of Halo is to get people invested in their ecosystem, not be another drop in the GaaS cesspool. You'd really have to live in an echo chamber to see the reception from MCC/Halo 5 and say: "What we need to do is make this more like CoD/Fortnite."
We don't know that they're doing much differently from Halo 5, which already had loot boxes.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, all im hoping for is a great story campaign for Gears 5. If I can get a great story campaign for Halo Infinite, then awesome but if not, oh well. I'll just pass on the game as there will be at least a few other guaranteed titles that I will want to play when both next gen consoles launch.

Riven326

Banned
I don't want to be the bearer of more discouraging news

x95887954302.png

So glad I got off the Xbox train in 2014. What a disaster it's turned out to be. This entire generation has been a colossal embarrassment for Microsoft and it looks like that's going to continue into the next generation.

You'd think these dudebro idiots like Phil Spencer would get a fucking clue. You're brand is in the shitter, your exclusives are mediocre. No one wants microtransactions in your first party titles, especially Halo. Goddamn Phil. Some of this shit you should pick up by simply being alive.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Might warrant a new thread but heres an update:

Hey all – I wanted to jump in and clarify what Tim & Mary’s roles were at the studio, because there seems to be quite a bit of confusion here. Before that happens though, I’d like to reassure everyone that the entire Halo Infinite team is rallying behind the game and is working hard to make sure we can execute on its vision.
Tim’s role as Creative Director was to help make creative decisions around the design and direction of the game – whether it was campaign, multiplayer, etc. Mary’s role as an Executive Producer and then Lead Producer on Campaign was to help drive the game to its completion for our holiday 2020 release date – with the latter specifically focusing on campaign deliverables.
Unfortunately the thread’s title saying, “He was replace with Mary Olson and she also left,” is far from accurate. It implies that Mary took over creative control of the entire game, didn’t like what she saw, and then decided to leave. If that’s what actually happened, I could totally understand getting worried – but that isn’t the case, as she was a Lead Producer and not a new Creative Director.
Producers at our studio support designers, engineers, artists, etc. by helping each of them track and hit deliverables. They also ensure the people they support are not overwhelmed with too much work and have all the tools and information needed to hit their deadlines. To put it simply, producers are the ones tasked with making sure the studio is always moving forward – even our Community Team has a producer to ensure we’re tracking our deliverables; blogs, social media posts, flighting emails, and whatever pops up in between.
Since Tim and Mary were friends of mine, I’m sad that I don’t get to see them as often, but I’m happy to see both of them doing well. Mary joining Josh Holmes at Midwinter is nothing short of exciting news for me, because I’m eager to give Scavengers another go soon (I played it at E3 and thoroughly enjoyed it). And, funny enough, I actually just bumped into Tim the other night at the theater for opening night of the Joker :)
TL;DR: Title is super misleading, there is no creative dilemma inside the studio, and there’s no writing on the walls.
Apologies for the long writeup, but I hope it helps clarify!

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Mod of War Mod of War can you update the thread title with this update?

This was pretty much a dead thread, so I updated the newest one and will close this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom