• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Creative Director Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hyde

The creative director is like the most important person in the development, you just can´t leave in the middle of making the fucking game. It´s your vision and you who takes all the important decisions, instructing the team, greenlighting ideas, shaping the story and characters, wtf, it´s like Hideo Kojima or Hidetaka Miyazaki just suddenly decided to leave during the directing of Death Stranding or Elden Ring.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The creative director is like the most important person in the development, you just can´t leave in the middle of making the fucking game. It´s your vision and you who takes all the important decisions, instructing the team, greenlighting ideas, shaping the story and characters, wtf, it´s like Hideo Kojima or Hidetaka Miyazaki just suddenly decided to leave during the directing of Death Stranding or Elden Ring.

Then for someone who didn't really like Halo in the first place, it could be a good thing?

Reactions: Fuz

Havoc2049

As a Halo fan, nothing was lost. Seriously, he wasn’t at 343 that long and his contribution was the craptastic Halo 5 campaign and the worst selling mainline Halo game in the series.

And for people making the woke and SJW comments, Longo was woke and Halo was going broke. Maybe now he can work on that political activist game that he was talking about making.

Mr Hyde

Then for someone who didn't really like Halo in the first place, it could be a good thing?

I don´t know. It depends if this Tim Longo character has directed any other Halos and has done a good job at it. If he has and you didn´t like, then maybe it´s good if he ditches, but if he didn´t and is a fresh fish for the franchise then maybe he could change things up if the formula was stale. Either way, since he is leaving so late in development he will most certainly have made his mark on the game, so it is unlikely that 343 will reset development just because he leaves the production. But now it will probably be a clusterfuck for anyone who takes up the torch because it will be hard as nails to finish somebody elses work and ideas. Most likely a producer or co-director will step in to take up the reigns to finish the game now. Or maybe Bonnie will do it herself, who knows?

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I want to be optimistic, but this is the kind of red flag that we only get to see the impact of after launch. At that point hype will have been bolstered so high that the disappointment will have to be measured in megatons.

No, because they wouldn't give a rats ass about Halo regardless. There are no winners here.

Ovek

7Member7
Wonder if it’s in the same kind of development hell as the recent cluster fucks from BioWare. One thing you can bet on is that Microsoft and Tim clashed on the direction of the project and quite possibly missed milestone builds, if anything is going to piss MS off it would be that.

Bet the entire project is now in full blown crisis mode with it supposed to be a next gen Xbox tent pole launch title.

Feel sorry for the devs at 434 though those poor bastards are going to be crunched hard until the very last moment.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
No, because they wouldn't give a rats ass about Halo regardless. There are no winners here.

Wrong. I like the Halo universe, but find the gameplay boring with slow and not very exciting firefights. Unengaging enemy design and weapons. I struggled through the first game, and gave up on Halo 2 halfway through. Gave it another shot with Halo 5, but couldn't finish it. Perhaps it would suit me better as a movie.

DanielsM

Banned
Games as a Promise (GaaP)

I've said it before, these people under estimate the amount of time, resources, and organization you need for all this GaaP stuff... even then failure is a real issue. Destiny is a prime example of a competent developer struggling, although they haven't made a horrible product, I think everyone knows its a challenge. Of course, some speculation this is a bad sign though.

You're making a game for the next 10 years... you better have a very modular approach and lots of luck and lots of🤑

You Halo guys (I mean persons) are in trouble... Mary Olson, fostering diversity. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Fuck making a good game, let's foster diversity!!!!!!!

I had to look up what cisgender was. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BryanGT

Not surprising to see him leave/get the boot around review season. Must have been disagreements about the quality of his contribution. The team can keep pushing until Mary gets up to full speed (if she's not already).

Arkage

Banned
Well if he was director of Halo 5's campaign I really can't say he'll be missed. It was trash. But this makes me worried the next Halo will also be trash. Christ why can't MS pull their shit together with their first party games.

I guess he got tired of trying to make Halo "get woke".

Good for him.

You know the only thing more annoying than people who are constantly woke? People who constantly bitch about wokeness.

not a bad thing looking at how bad halo 5 looked. never played a halo game as an outsider halo 5 looked visually, and gameplay wise way worse than any other halo game I seen in person.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Neogaf - Wow they hired 2 dozen Santa Monica and Naughty Dog staff members? Who cares! People change companies all the time this means absolutely nothing!
Also Neogaf - One person leaves 343, DEVELOPMENT HELL, GAME IN CRISIS, MICROSOFT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. MASSIVE RED FLAGS GAME DOOMED TO FAIL.

Never change guys, I wouldn't want to ever come back otherwise.

Xenon

Games as a Promise (GaaP)

I've said it before, these people under estimate the amount of time, resources, and organization you need for all this GaaP stuff... even then failure is a real issue. Destiny is a prime example of a competent developer struggling, although they haven't made a horrible product, I think everyone knows its a challenge. Of course, some speculation this is a bad sign though.

You're making a game for the next 10 years... you better have a very modular approach and lots of luck and lots of🤑

You Halo guys (I mean persons) are in trouble... Mary Olson, fostering diversity. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Fuck making a good game, let's foster diversity!!!!!!!

I had to look up what cisgender was. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuck this shit. Gender is a description of a personal characteristic not a definition of who they are. They can take their cis label and shove it up their prescribed orifice.

Mista

Banned
Neogaf - Wow they hired 2 dozen Santa Monica and Naughty Dog staff members? Who cares! People change companies all the time this means absolutely nothing!
Also Neogaf - One person leaves 343, DEVELOPMENT HELL, GAME IN CRISIS, MICROSOFT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. MASSIVE RED FLAGS GAME DOOMED TO FAIL.

I wish I can like this post 50 times...

brian0057

Banned
giphy.gif

Vawn

Banned

I was thinking the exact opposite. A few of the hundreds of low-level programmers who make games move from one studio to another - let's create threads only highlighting the ones leaving Sony studios to go to Xbox studios.

The freaking head of Xbox's biggest game leaves the game mid-development - let's pretend this isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

As a Halo fan, nothing was lost. Seriously, he wasn’t at 343 that long and his contribution was the craptastic Halo 5 campaign and the worst selling mainline Halo game in the series.

And for people making the woke and SJW comments, Longo was woke and Halo was going broke. Maybe now he can work on that political activist game that he was talking about making.
140.gif

Did you happen to noticed the design of the game drastically changing for the better? Clearly it wasn’t his vision.

Mista

Banned
I was thinking the exact opposite. A few of the hundreds of low-level programmers who make games move from one studio to another - let's create threads only highlighting the ones leaving Sony studios to go to Xbox studios.

The freaking head of Xbox's biggest game leaves the game mid-development - let's pretend this isn't an issue.
Weren’t you the one complaining on the last thread that it isn’t newsworthy? So now you’re concerned? Adorable..

DanielsM

Banned
Weren’t you the one complaining on the last thread that it isn’t newsworthy? So now you’re concerned? Adorable..

Literally taking stuff out of context. A private quits the Army and goes awol nobody cares, its not news worthy, the Commander in Chief quits and nobody can find him... slightly more important.

So they're putting an audio producer in charge of the next big Halo game.

I'm kinda interested in seeing how bad this goes.

That's what she has on her linkedin basically an audio background, but it looks like in articles they made her a executive producer at some point.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Eh Naughty Dog lost their creative director over several games of Uncharted into development, sky didn't fall. CDPR lost their creative developer last year to and I'm sure 2077 will come out fine also.

Fbh

I guess in a way it's good they haven't showed any gameplay, as any changes resulting from this won't be as apparent.

Regardless of who is in charge I just hope Halo doesn't turn into another boring ass game where I'm supposed to play the same handful of missions again and again and again shooting increasingly spongier enemies to grind for better loot so I can play the one mission people say is actually good but only if I have a team of 6 people to play with an have grinded for loot for dozens of hours.

So apparently Longo was taking a new position at 343, most likely a demotion, and decided to leave over it. Chris Lee, the studio head, took over as Creative Director. This is all most likely because Longo’s vision didn’t align with the fans as proven with Halo 5.

But in essence, anyone that wants to see Halo and Microsoft fail will chime in per usual. Regardless, this seems like a positive change.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Eh Naughty Dog lost their creative director over several games of Uncharted into development, sky didn't fall. CDPR lost their creative developer last year to and I'm sure 2077 will come out fine also.

Sure, if by “fine” you mean a working game and with user and critic sores in the 75-85 range, then yeah, it will meet that goal. I’d be disappointed though if that is all we got from either of those games.

As a side note, whenever I say something is fine, I am saying it is one notch above me asking for a refund, lol. & yeah, I find Naughty Dog gameplay fine. Although i do get a kick out of the people who spend huge chunks of time trying to convince the world it is, in fact, great. So it has given me some joy.

Last edited:
No she’s not.

I just looked her up shes executive producer in name and name alone she has almost no experience in this role. All shes been doing is audio and she was credited for "production" in Halo 4 whatever that means. So that other dude was right...

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I guess in a way it's good they haven't showed any gameplay, as any changes resulting from this won't be as apparent.

Regardless of who is in charge I just hope Halo doesn't turn into another boring ass game where I'm supposed to play the same handful of missions again and again and again shooting increasingly spongier enemies to grind for better loot so I can play the one mission people say is actually good but only if I have a team of 6 people to play with an have grinded for loot for dozens of hours.

Are there rumours they are making a destiny clone?

Last edited:

Otterz4Life

I just looked her up shes executive producer in name and name alone she has almost no experience in this role. All shes been doing is audio and she was credited for "production" in Halo 4 whatever that means. So that other dude was right...
Well she’s been an executive producer for at least a year on Halo Infinite. If you’re talking about her LinkedIn page, are you sure that she updates it regularly?

DanielsM

Banned
No she’s not.

Its right on her linkedin page, and I even said they apparently made her some type of executive producer.

Her background is in audio and audio management and apparently diversity. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Looks like basically no real experience other than audio that I can see.

Do you guys even try?

They question is do you, you didn't read my posts.

Last edited:
Well she’s been an executive producer for at least a year on Halo Infinite. If you’re talking about her LinkedIn page, are you sure that she updates it regularly?
One year of experience to move up to a director with her only other job experience being in audio...I'm convinced shes the right person for the job. I wish I could get promoted near the top of my field with one year of relevant job experience.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Here we fuckin go again man.

I mean the Creative Director leaving as part of a shake up means they are possibly rebooting development. The question remains how much are they keeping and how much are they trashing if this the case. It may be even questionable whether it'll be a launch title for the next Xbox.

I just threw up a lil bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom