• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Creative Director Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vawn

Banned
Mary Olsen when asked if shes ready to take on Halo Infinite:

7ZJBsAn.gif

That's clearly Ashley, n00b.

Lone Wolf

Here we fuckin go again man.

I mean the Creative Director leaving as part of a shake up means they are possibly rebooting development. The question remains how much are they keeping and how much are they trashing if this the case. It may be even questionable whether it'll be a launch title for the next Xbox.

I just threw up a lil bit.
They will slap some crap together like they did for Halo 5. Regardless, even though I’ve been an Xbox guy up to this point, I’ll play this game through game pass on my One X. I’m not buying the next console right away. I’ll get a PS5 first at this point. MS still has a lot to prove. I stuck with them because of Halo and they have only disappointed me.

joe_zazen

Her background is in audio and audio management and apparently diversity. Looks like basically no real experience other than audio that I can see.

Who knows in vid games. I mean luke smith was a podcaster, then suddenly he is Destiny lead. I don’t think giant videogame companies have very well defined means of identifying and promoting talent. It is probably 90% who you know and 9% who you ____, and 1% talent/determination.

I mean, i look at the Druckman v Hening situation and all i see is gross office politics and the greasy guy winning because he has a +5 to backstab and probably goes to strippers and does coke with Balestra/Wells. Whereas Henning is not ‘best friend of company running douche’ material, so she gets the boot.

Last edited:

blackjon24

As a sony guy I'm not here to bring doom and gloom to the xbox guys but I guarantee you this game just got pushed back like 1-2 years. Could be for the better!

wipeout364

Well the fact is we are like a year away and all we have seen is a CG trailer. Halo 5 campaign was so bad I couldn’t finish it. So I can’t say i’m Upset about him “leaving”, (maybe he was fired). To me all this is very concerning though as I was hopeful for a rebound after Halo 4 and 5. Hopefully the multiplayer is still ok.

DanielsM

Banned

Who knows in vid games. I mean luke smith was a podcaster, then suddenly he is Destiny lead. I don’t think giant videogame companies have very well defined means of identifying and promoting talent. It is probably 90% who you know and 9% who you ____, and 1% talent/determination.

I mean, i look at the Druckman v Hening situation and all i see is gross office politics and the greasy guy winning because he has a +5 to backstab and probably goes to strippers and does coke with Balestra/Wells. Whereas Henning is not ‘best friend of company running douche’ material, so she gets the boot.

Oh I agree there. But even Destiny was a cluster at release, I played it for like a hour for the demo. Later it seemed to build an audience, but it was a mess at release. Also, you had Bungie actually making the game. If this was a normal game, it wouldn't be such a huge red flag... as a 10 year project... I would be worried about year 1.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They will slap some crap together like they did for Halo 5. Regardless, even though I’ve been an Xbox guy up to this point, I’ll play this game through game pass on my One X. I’m not buying the next console right away. I’ll get a PS5 first at this point. MS still has a lot to prove. I stuck with them because of Halo and they have only disappointed me.
It all comes down to the games. If Sony Launches with some dope games I'm getting a PS5 first and just hold on to my X until Microsoft gets their shit together. When I'm ready to buy the next Xbox I'll trade in my X if Gamestop or something similar still exists then.

To be completely honest, I always play and beat every Halo at least on Heroic difficulty. Legendary is not fun because it hard for no got damn reason. I'm wearing this Mjonir armor and some fuckin grunt with a plasma peashooter that's been passed down for generations lucks up and 3 shots me from across the map. Ugh, I digress.

I'm still holding out hope that next E3 2020 will be the huge reveal and by some stroke of miracle the games I wanna play will release within the launch window. I can't say I'm confident in that outcome. Especially not after this. For now I'm going to try and limit my cynicism to this game alone but man what if it's all Microsoft's doing. What if they are pulling an EA? Fuck man. Don't do this.

Elenchus

Banned
So does this mean it'll be ok with GAF the next time someone puts up a hiring thread for the Initiative or is all that "people move all the time in the industry and this is not thread-worthy" talk only true when convenient for your narrative? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Shmunter

As the saying goes, where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Troubled development never ends well. If anything, the game will be delayed. Xbox needs this one.

Elenchus

Banned
I was thinking the exact opposite. A few of the hundreds of low-level programmers who make games move from one studio to another - let's create threads only highlighting the ones leaving Sony studios to go to Xbox studios.

The freaking head of Xbox's biggest game leaves the game mid-development - let's pretend this isn't an issue.

Did you actually read the article?

"Executive Producer Mary Olson will now lead the Campaign team for Halo Infinite, and 343 studio head Chris Lee remains overall the lead on the game’s overall vision."

Neogaf - Wow they hired 2 dozen Santa Monica and Naughty Dog staff members? Who cares! People change companies all the time this means absolutely nothing!
Also Neogaf - One person leaves 343, DEVELOPMENT HELL, GAME IN CRISIS, MICROSOFT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. MASSIVE RED FLAGS GAME DOOMED TO FAIL.

Never change guys, I wouldn't want to ever come back otherwise.

The problem with your logic here is that this is the creative director leaving in the middle of the production. It's a clusterfuck whenever that happens. Maybe the team will bounce back and they will deliver the goods, but this is not the most likely scenario.

joe_zazen

So does this mean it'll be ok with GAF the next time someone puts up a hiring thread for the Initiative or is all that "people move all the time in the industry and this is not thread-worthy" talk only true when convenient for your narrative? Asking for a friend.

Gaf isn't one dude, though that would be hilarious.

The problem with your logic here is that this is the creative director leaving in the middle of the production. It's a clusterfuck whenever that happens. Maybe the team will bounce back and they will deliver the goods, but this is not the most likely scenario.

I remember when that happened to Driveclub at or near launch. I loved that game.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite needs to be balanced.. A good SP story and good Multiplayer, I not gonna jump into conclusions yet but this seems kind of awkward to have someone of a high position to leave. 343i cant screw this one up or they're history.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When you think about Halo, it blows my mind how 5, 10 years ago the guys who developed the game were totally different, I guess labor is labor.

Elenchus

Banned
Not exactly demonstrating that you have something worthwhile to say.
Gaf isn't one dude, though that would be hilarious.

I remember when that happened to Driveclub at or near launch. I loved that game.

Neither is the Borg but there isn't exactly a whole lot of independent thought bouncing around in that group either.

Otterz4Life

Did you actually read the article?

"Executive Producer Mary Olson will now lead the Campaign team for Halo Infinite, and 343 studio head Chris Lee remains overall the lead on the game’s overall vision."

Stop with the reading and critical thinking, dude. The sky is falling around Xbox and the usual suspects are busy clutching their pearls. 😂

Yoda

TBH if Halo 5 is the most recent example of his creative direction I don't think 343 is losing anything in terms of talent. What would worry me more is a senior leadership shake up when this game has been in development for nearly 4(?) years. Obviously the direction he's pushing the game is at odds w/his superiors, and if he's been steering the ship since the beginning they have a lot of game they probably aren't happy with.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eh Naughty Dog lost their creative director over several games of Uncharted into development, sky didn't fall. CDPR lost their creative developer last year to and I'm sure 2077 will come out fine also.

Oh yeah, nobody noticed Druckman rebooted the game mid way? People noticed and still bitch about some parts of the story :LOL:, but you are probably an Uncharted 4 super lover, I just kind of like the game so we will have to agree to disagree (btw, rebooted not just one year before launch, so at least the game was rebooted much earlier along the way)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TBH if Halo 5 is the most recent example of his creative direction I don't think 343 is losing anything in terms of talent. What would worry me more is a senior leadership shake up when this game has been in development for nearly 4(?) years. Obviously the direction he's pushing the game is at odds w/his superiors, and if he's been steering the ship since the beginning they have a lot of game they probably aren't happy with.

That is the worrying but, a senior leadership shakeup after 4 years of the entire studio being focused on this game and thus being that close, supposedly, to launch...

Pallas

Aye, Halo Infinity is doomed, pack it up boys. /s

Try to keep an open mind, this may prove to be a blessing in disguise(or a disaster, oh how joyful some on here would be if so)and I always tend to give people benefit of the doubt before writing them off.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Game is well over a year from release, this can get fixed easy. Maybe he was pushed? Who knows. We will only know more when the game is released and we know final quality of the game

Klayzer

I was thinking the exact opposite. A few of the hundreds of low-level programmers who make games move from one studio to another - let's create threads only highlighting the ones leaving Sony studios to go to Xbox studios.

The freaking head of Xbox's biggest game leaves the game mid-development - let's pretend this isn't an issue.
I wish I could like this post a thousand more times.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Graciaus

Wrong. I like the Halo universe, but find the gameplay boring with slow and not very exciting firefights. Unengaging enemy design and weapons. I struggled through the first game, and gave up on Halo 2 halfway through. Gave it another shot with Halo 5, but couldn't finish it. Perhaps it would suit me better as a movie.
IMO you didn't play the best campaigns which is 3, Reach, and ODST. But I doubt your opinion would change.

I dont get how they managed to water down the Halo franchise so fast. First three titles were all epic moments of a console exclusive. Afterwards it became so bland and boring I legit think Forza Horizon is a bigger exclusive than Halo nowadays. At least for that one game,make sure you go all in.

nikolino840

If this is the same creative director that worked on Halo 5, then good riddance!
Yes

GC_DALBEN

This Halo ill wait for the reviews, i liked all the others, i really liked 5, but the bosses ruined the game, fought the same guy 34384x, :(.

ruvikx

Banned
Everyone: Halo 5 was shit, the story sucked and the armor looked dumb

*Tim Longo leaves the conversation*

Idiots: OMG Halo Infinite is DOOMED!

Except Halo Infinite is due to be released next year & is probably already completed from a design standpoint (or at least it should be) & they should now be theoretically working on finishing what they've already greenlit, i.e. not hiring a new creative director who'd somehow magically fix everything wrong with Tim Lango's vision in 12 months or so. He was hired to be Halo Infinite's creative director, after all, ergo it's not as if they're starting from scratch, no, we're talking about a game already nearing its final phase of completion (if the dev cycle is 4/5 years since 2015).

The only way this news can be interpreted is either A/his work is already done & he's moving on whilst the rest of the team finishes the game or B/his creative direction was shite, he's been booted out the door & they're rebooting huge parts of the project. One theory is more alarmist than the other, obviously.

Wimbledon

I'm indifferent to the news honestly. Unless Bonnie Ross leaves then i will be cheering.

The Halo infinite trailers the new look, i love the trailers and i'm hyped.

But regardless of how much hype i have THEY HAVE TO DELIVER.

I was hyped for Halo 5 marketing campaign , hunt the truth, the hunt the signal, the two different trailers for locke and Chief. The game was shite and had none of the intrigue any of the marketing showed.

Nothings changed there mission at this point IS TO DELIVER (last chance for me)! They said out to make Halo great again, they haven't accomplished this yet. At least not on the gaming side, the EU is pretty top though.

Last edited:
Not surprised, the E3 trailer for Infinite was hot garbage.

Actions speak louder than words...
  1. Absence of E3 gameplay demo
  2. Creative Director "leaves"
For how long the title must have been in development you'd have to reasonably assime they could have scraped together just a one minute sizzle reel with a glimpse of gameplay?

They knew well in advance that Sony weren't attending and had every opportunity to show off the best they had to build the hype.

They had nothing.

Prepare to be disappointed.

The Scarlett launch can't afford this title to fuck up. Are MS going to stumble out of the gate again?

FireFly

Actions speak louder than words...
  1. Absence of E3 gameplay demo
  2. Creative Director "leaves"
For how long the title must have been in development you'd have to reasonably assime they could have scraped together just a one minute sizzle reel with a glimpse of gameplay?

They knew well in advance that Sony weren't attending and had every opportunity to show off the best they had to build the hype.

They had nothing.

Prepare to be disappointed.

The Scarlett launch can't afford this title to fuck up. Are MS going to stumble out of the gate again?
As far as I remember, Microsoft didn't show any gameplay for Halo 3 at E3 2006 either, and that game didn't turn out too bad. And Gears 5 is months away and we still don't have proper campaign footage.

It makes sense that they will reveal all their cards at E3 2020.

https://www.windowsc...ucer-mary-olson

Apparently, Executive Producer Mary Olson took over the campaign's development a few weeks ago.

Mary Olson will now take charge of the Campaign team on Halo Infinite as the Lead Producer, utilizing her many years of experience at 343 Industries to help craft a great campaign for fans.

Yeah, I am sure this is for the best. Looking cool, Joker!

Last edited:

Elginer

At this point I'll probably upgrade to an X and ride that motherfucker out for another 3 years as my last Xbox platform for Gamepass and exclusives. PS5 is day one. Halo 5s campaign was a resounding Meh. The MP is fun as fuck though. It keeps me coming back but whoever was in charge get of story and encounters in campaign screwed the damn pooch on that one. Last Halo campaign I truly enjoyed was Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom