• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE 5 Powered New Halo Reportedly in Development at 343 Industries

LordOfChaos

I wonder if this is going to be the third game in a row ignoring what the last one built and starting over...The end of Infinite was getting into interesting stuff I could go for, but the mismanagement of Halo has really been testing my limits of care, though it's some of my favorite game lore in the expanded books etc.

Hard to believe how much cost and time went between games into Slipstream engine if they're ditching it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
What's the definition of insanity?

Making a first person shooter with UE5 when you have access to idtech for free.

It would be levels of insanity to start everyone else on a new engine that’s proprietary to another team that’s heavily involved in making their own game. Quite a number of Microsoft studios are on UE, including Compulsion, Ninja Theory and The Coalition, among others.

Also slows down recruitment too, compared to going with an extremely ubiquitous engine.

Let’s also get the elephant out of the room now: the series S will fuck this games potential up big time. Isn’t the S why they couldn’t get the co op to work for infinite?

No. That’s just some silly thing warriors made up that never really made sense. The game was released on Xbox One and that’s far more likely to have been the bottleneck.

You’re also referring to couch co-op, I believe. Online Co-op works just fine.

shamoomoo

So you think 343 is going for basic nothingness to get it running at 120fps.

Stop. UE5 on consoles is junk
Outside of character models, Halo doesn't need realistic lighting. Depending on what 343I wants with upcoming Halo games,the problems are environmental detail, enemy interaction with the world and scale.

Also, lower quality developers or rushed release dates doesn't tell us how performant UE5 could be as 343I can customize their use of UE5.

I think using UE5 for this is perfectly fine, with one big exception. I highly doubt forge will exist with a UE5 version. I know that forge is not really a money maker, but it is the reason that I could still find Halo 5 matches in 2021, many years after release of a game that most called shit (multiplayer was not bad at all). The hardcore communities stick around because the game play is tight and they can make all kinds of sweet custom maps. For those saying we might lose local split screen co-op, I don't think that will be affected. Gears is UE and its local split screen co-op has been awesome game after game basically forever.

They 180'd so hard on this lmao.
Good thing 343i was able to identify their mistake fairly quickly and switched development of future installments of the series to UE5 fairly quickly (within 12 months) after Halo Infinite's launch. Could have been really bad if they had stuck to their guns similar to how Naughty Dog continued working on TLoU Factions for 3+ years before cancelling the project altogether and having nothing to show for it.

Codes 208

Halo infinite was and is a good game.
Yeah, no. It launched with less multiplayer modes or general content than halo 2, it took a year for campaign to get co-op AND level selection and the multiplayer is still recovering from the FOMO bullshit implementation at launch.

Halo infinite has come a long way but lets be real: theres a GOOD reason why 343i got gutted within a year after the game launched.
On the plus side, the campaign can’t be any worse than Infinite’s.
Halo 5 proves otherwise. Halo infinite’s big issue was that it was bland and needed more variety in environments. Halo 5 however was an absolute garbage fire of a story and shouldve been considered a lethal blow to the halo story

I think using UE5 for this is perfectly fine, with one big exception. I highly doubt forge will exist with a UE5 version. I know that forge is not really a money maker, but it is the reason that I could still find Halo 5 matches in 2021, many years after release of a game that most called shit (multiplayer was not bad at all). The hardcore communities stick around because the game play is tight and they can make all kinds of sweet custom maps. For those saying we might lose local split screen co-op, I don't think that will be affected. Gears is UE and its local split screen co-op has been awesome game after game basically forever.
The Gears of War series which runs on UE has had a "forge-lite" type of system ever since horde 2.0 in Gear of War 3. You could spawn different items, weapons, and barricades in maps before each horde wave which always reminded me of forge mode from Halo. I'm sure 343i will figure out how to implement this core feature of the Halo series in UE5 moving forward.

Codes 208

Good thing 343i was able to identify their mistake fairly quickly and switched development of future installments of the series to UE5 fairly quickly (within 12 months) after Halo Infinite's launch. Could have been really bad if they had stuck to their guns similar to how Naughty Dog continued working on TLoU Factions for 3+ years before cancelling the project altogether and having nothing to show for it.
I think a lot of that has to do with when the higher ups and internals realized that the creative director at the time was lying about progress with the engine and game, they knew they had to switch to something more universal. In fact, mcc already uses UE for its menu and models wo when the mcc team took over, i think this was a natural route for them

Actually come to think of it, iirc the first two trailers were using slipspace assets but were running on unreal (hence the major jump in quality compared to the first gameplay trailer)

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Differentiate and sell Halo Campaign separately from Halo MP. That is the right decision. Leave the development of the campaign to a separate team or hire a friendly Studio for that work.

On the one hand, you manage to shorten development times and expand the catalog (2 games vs one Game) and, on the other hand, redice confuse, harm or hinder the completion of a product with a minimum of quality.

UE5 for a campaign and continuing with the SE in the MP would make sense (although my wet dream would have been ID doing a Halo campaign with ID7engine🙂)

Hudo

Was Halo Infinity's engine such a bitch to work with? I find it a weird decision to change to UE5 instead. But I guess there has to be at least one reason why they did that.

RickMasters

If there’s not thing I would like to see the next halo add ( outside of the usual core PVP modes) is large scale battlefield style mode. Big team battle on steroids with lots of heavy weapons and tanks out in the open mixed with interiors for mid range and Close range combat.

I love halo infinites customisation options for armour so that should certainly be brought over.

Halo 5 had one particular PVP mode with PVE elements ( I forget the name of the mode) that shit was awesome and they should deffo bring that back.

I’d like expanded firefight and Spartan ops modes. I think Spartan ops is a good way to add small mini PVE campaigns too, that expand on the story further.

i don’t care what anybody says, sprint was a great addition. Spartans are supposed to be fast. I think Spartans should be able to dash-strafe-step too. Maybe double tap the left stick to the left or right to perform this dash-strafe-step.

Top Bottom