• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After layoffs, 343 Industries is back to hiring new devs

Draugoth

Gold Member
343 Industries is looking for a lead game designer to help define future Halo experiences and build the next generation of games and experiences in the Halo universe. This was posted by Microsoft today, and the hiring freeze ended at least 9 days ago when an art outsource manager position was posted.

It seems like 343 is finally out of its hiring freeze. Their linkedin number has jumped by 50 people in the past couple of weeks.

Recently, the studio started a new hiring process, advertising vacancies for Game Designer Lead and Arts Outsourcing Manager. This move has led to speculation about a complete restructuring at the studio, which will continue to be in charge of the next iterations of the franchise.

R6Rider

Gold Member
they should hire shigeru miyamoto to rename halo infinite to metroid prime 4 so that people will play it
Try Not To Laugh 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC Europe

REDRZA MWS

343 Industries is looking for a lead game designer to help define future Halo experiences and build the next generation of games and experiences in the Halo universe. This was posted by Microsoft today, and the hiring freeze ended at least 9 days ago when an art outsource manager position was posted.

Recently, the studio started a new hiring process, advertising vacancies for Game Designer Lead and Arts Outsourcing Manager. This move has led to speculation about a complete restructuring at the studio, which will continue to be in charge of the next iterations of the franchise.

I pray Certain Affinity is working on a Halo Wars 3 behind the scenes.

kiphalfton

I hope Tatanka is successful and they consider giving the reigns to Certain Affinity.

Not sure why people keep saying this.

It would be stupid to hand over the reigns for a multi-billion dollar franchise to a support studio.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
isnt there a law where they have to offer laid off people their job back?
There is in europe, or at least France. But if I understand it right the marker is fluid enough in the USA that most of those people have already found something since. Or at least I hope so.

kiphalfton

It's 343i...they have proven they are a support studio.

I'm not inferring 343i shouldn't hand it over at all; I'm saying they shouldn't hand it over to a support studio.

It will just be a repeat of 343i if it isn't handed over to a more competent/experienced dev group.

Del_X

Tech layoffs have stalled and companies are hiring again - not just in video games. This felt like a controlled burn in many corners of software.

Bry0

I'm not inferring 343i shouldn't hand it over at all; I'm saying they shouldn't hand it over to a support studio.

It will just be a repeat of 343i if it isn't handed over to a more competent/experienced dev group.
a little presumptuous to say that imo.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Not sure why people keep saying this.

It would be stupid to hand over the reigns for a multi-billion dollar franchise to a support studio.
Max Hoberman is the father of Halo's multiplayer. He knows more about Game Design then 343.
Also, they have had many high profile hires recently

They had to get rid of the virtue signal hire dead weights and are now finally hiring people actually talented in making video games.

It's been slow going, but the game has improved since the fire/retirement of Bonnie Ross. I'm sure she is very talented and smart, but running 343i wasn't a good fit for her.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Linkedin numbers are going up because they just started verifying employment via email. It's not hiring alone that is making the numbers go up.

stickkidsam

Good news, new season is great and there is a substantial amount of good content now.

Wish we could get some single player expansions as it was excellent but I guess that's not going to happen
I mean… it’s still Infinite; which hey if you just wanted more maps and armor then cool. If like me ya dislike the base gameplay and lack of legacy features though, it’s not really gonna be much better.

FireFly

They had to get rid of the virtue signal hire dead weights and are now finally hiring people actually talented in making video games.

It's been slow going, but the game has improved since the fire/retirement of Bonnie Ross. I'm sure she is very talented and smart, but running 343i wasn't a good fit for her.
The rumours point to the campaign team being fired and the multiplayer team being kept intact.

VAVA Mk2

Bonnie Ross was clearly anything but competent. She took the crown jewel of XBox and let it degrade to shit while she focused on other pursuits as a studio head. She should have to give any awards she got back as she let a top franchise in the industry die during her "watch."

Phase

Before hiring you must test their skill in a Halo game of their choosing. If they suck, no hire.

Codes 208

Good news, new season is great and there is a substantial amount of good content now.

Wish we could get some single player expansions as it was excellent but I guess that's not going to happen
Keyword here is now. Its fucking atrocious that its been taking them a year or longer to add basic shit like co-op, forge or even a mode like infection.

And whats worse is we’re still missing some substantial modes. Wheres grifball? Action sack? Firefight? Plus the modes with community made maps are rotationary.

Plus its only taken til now to finally add cross-core armor pieces and skins? Its like theyre trying to milk the whales for everything theyve got while they still can.

Halo 5 had an absolute disaster of a campaign, but id sooner take that whole package than what we currently have with infinite. 1.5 years in and it still makes me rather want to play destiny 2 of all things. Cause at least we know where the talent went when bungie left

U can't expect to launch a bare one games add coop after 1 year forge after 1 year and call it a great game
Release the fucking game 1 year later than.
There is nothing special about halo or any FPS for the matter that people will stick around a year for basic features that should've been there day 1

Shubh_C63

Fingers crossed they drop Infinite and create a new game. If Halo is gonna die, it would wanna go out with a bang.
They have basically done that two times now. Always keeps starting from scratch.
I don't even wanna predict at this point. Will see in 2028 I guess.

Riky

$MSFT
Keyword here is now. Its fucking atrocious that its been taking them a year or longer to add basic shit like co-op, forge or even a mode like infection.

And whats worse is we’re still missing some substantial modes. Wheres grifball? Action sack? Firefight? Plus the modes with community made maps are rotationary.

Plus its only taken til now to finally add cross-core armor pieces and skins? Its like theyre trying to milk the whales for everything theyve got while they still can.

Halo 5 had an absolute disaster of a campaign, but id sooner take that whole package than what we currently have with infinite. 1.5 years in and it still makes me rather want to play destiny 2 of all things. Cause at least we know where the talent went when bungie left

I think Firefight is on the way they say, I recently deleted Destiny 2 as the multiplayer is basically dead and Bungie aren't interested in it anymore. I'd take Infinite for PvP myself by quite a margin.

stickkidsam

They have basically done that two times now. Always keeps starting from scratch.
I don't even wanna predict at this point. Will see in 2028 I guess.
Third times the charm :p

Really though, why not? Unlike 4, 5, and Infinite thru have solid leadership now. Problems have always been heavily associated with management. Why then, with a fresh set of hands at the wheel, would we saddle them with this train wreck rather than a fresh start?

Hell, retcon the reclaimer saga as a fever dream. A premonition from an “oracle”. Maybe even keep some of the ideas and give them another shot. Cortana’s death and Chief’s quest to revive her! Keep the Banished bustin butts! Hunt the truth 2 electric blue ball boogaloo anyone (now with actual truth)? Let’s see ONI become a villain and see the outer colonies in turmoil!

Even if they kept the same story though, maybe we can at least get a game worth the hype ON LAUNCH DAY. Infinite is not gonna light any fires with that drip feed life support. A new game with NO free to play bullshit. NO missing features. ALL THE GAME MODES. An M FUCKIN RATING! Hell, let’s bring back the Legendary edition! Since when was Halo not worth more than some digital skins and a steel case?

THAT would be one final effort this series deserves!

Disco Dave

If you have ever wiped your arse with anything Halo, this could be your foot in the door to the industry. 343i and the TV show both hired the wrong people for projects. No doubt this hiring spree will focus more on diversity rather than ability and result in another shit Halo project.

Diversity hiring results in divisive workplaces.

DpoMXSm.jpg

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

If you have ever wiped your arse with anything Halo, this could be your foot in the door to the industry...

Seems like a page out of Marvel's playbook

Marvel Studios Producer Nate Moore Explains Why They Avoid Writers Who Are Hardcore Comic Book Fans​

Last edited:
Top Bottom