• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Gascoigne

Banned
Nah I was happy to see Bungie move away from the halo style. Imo Destiny PvP is a lot of fun and gets hectic
Far from garbage, I just need to practice at halo to get good, like how you probably have to practice at Destiny

The problem with Destiny isn't that it's difficult to get good at. It's that it requires no actual skill to be good at. It's without question the worst PVP I've played in a long long time, which was odd coming from Bungie. Halo 5's MP last night was night and day better. Not even in the same league.

The mechanics and multiplayer are superb. I've only played 2 missions of the single player so far so I can't comment much on that, but it's crazy to me that this could end up reviewing worse than Reach, MCC and 4.
Reach campaign was fantastic though and I've heard mostly negative things about the campaign in this.

One thing that is amusing is that there is a slew of 4/5 reviews that are really, really positive, but all count as an 80 on MC. It's why reading the reviews means a lot more than how MC comes up with a number.

[Call-Me-G];183111044 said:
Tomorrow the campaign will last 1 hour ;)

Haha, right? Absolutely amazing how these people who are supposedly interested at all in the game are choosing to ignore the overwhelmingly positive reception and go straight for this non-sense. Man, consumers in this industry have a lot of growing up to do.

I think that's enough of this thread for me. These posts were all just funny to me yesterday but it's starting to get a little depressing.

Gascoigne

Banned
Reach campaign was fantastic though and I've heard mostly negative things about the campaign in this.

Reach's campaign was really good. I've only played 6 missions of H5 so far (co-op) but so far it's better in the gameplay department. 60 fps makes a world of difference in a shooter (and racing games). Not sold on the story yet though. Reach's story grabbed me from the start.

It must have pained you to see what Bungie did to PVP in Destiny then. Total garbage. Which is why Halo 5 has been so great in addition to have an excellent story playable in co-op.

Come on now... Total garbage? Destiny has some of the tightest pvp I've ever seen and it's pretty fun. By design it's not meant to be super competitive on arena level (supers, perks, etc), but calling it garbage is hyperbole to the max.

Halo 5 is great if you want a consistent level playing field though, which is why I made the move.

Meta Critic is a Lackey to whom ever they are in bed with. Why does anyone attach any significance to Meta-Critic.

It's just a place to check out some reviews and get a feel for the general sentiment of a game. It's on the customer to actually look at some of the reviews. I understand many of you aren't happy with the score, but it just seems a bit silly to go around with all the theories bashing the site. 85 is is still a good score mind you.

The problem with Destiny isn't that it's difficult to get good at. It's that it requires no actual skill to be good at. It's without question the worst PVP I've played in a long long time, which was odd coming from Bungie. Halo 5's MP last night was night and day better. Not even in the same league.

Yeah, this isn't true by far. There is an incredibly large skill gap in this game. There are random factors that can throw this off at times, but what you're saying is ridiculous. Destiny's and halo's MP are both great.

Lothars

It seems like you have no clue what your talking about.

Halo 5's multplayer will probably be good but Destiny multiplayer is fantastic and does take skill to get good at. I don't believe you've actually played it.

Halo 5's multplayer will probably be good but Destiny multiplayer is fantastic and does take skill to get good at. I don't believe you've actually played it.

I dunno, I agree with him. I've played Destiny MP quite a bit (back before TTK launched). It was hot garbage and completely unbalanced.

Halo 5 MP strives to be competitive. Destiny MP does not. Which is a far cry from what Bungie used to do with their Halo titles.

Lingitiz

Destiny mp is horrible and not built as a competitive game.

I admittedly gave up on destiny quickly but I agree with this guy. I might not take it as far as that guy but I agree with the sentiment completely. Halo 5 has incredible competitive MP. I'm convinced of that in a night. Ita a breath of fresh air.

VinFTW

There's zero skill involved in destinys mp. It's a garbage pvp game. It's just fun to run around and shoot shit.

I dunno, I agree with him. I've played Destiny MP quite a bit (back before TTK launched). It was hot garbage and completely unbalanced.

Halo 5 MP strives to be competitive. Destiny MP does not. Which is a far cry from what Bungie used to do with their Halo titles.

It isn't designed to be competitive, but it's crazy to say it requires no skill. There are some amazingly good players and teams out there that will demolish most.

HAHAHAHA

Someone give this man GAF Gold.

Seriously? Any multiplayer game mode that the developers react to issues by nerfing and then react to the recently made nerfs to weapons with more nerfs is a joke.

So basically the only sites opinions I actually care about haha

All I want to hear is that the multiplayer is fantastic, I can live with a mediocre campaign, as I only usually played it over 2-3 times in past games, the quality of the multiplayer is what matters. Hoping for a big improvement off 4 as I didn't like the ordinance drops and the lack of focus off of Halos awesome vehicles.

Bro trust my opinion.

The MP is very very good.

Kill3r7

Destiny MP might be unbalanced but it certainly can be a lot of fun. Agreed, Halo is on a completely different level.

Lothars

There's zero skill involved in destinys mp. It's a garbage pvp game. It's just fun to run around and shoot shit.

Destiny mp is horrible and not built as a competitive game.

lol, I really think you guys have no clue. if you have no skill in crucible, you will get some kills but you won't be competitive at all.

I haven't played Halo 5's multiplayer to get a good grasp of it so I can't judge that but anyone that says destiny multiplayer has no skill really just is completely clueless and shouldn't listened to.

HAHAHAHA

Someone give this man GAF Gold.

Seriously? Any multiplayer game mode that the developers react to issues by nerfing and then react to the recently made nerfs to weapons with more nerfs is a joke.
It's not a perfect multiplayer game but it's still top notch and worth playing.

lol, I really think you guys have no clue. if you have no skill in crucible, you will get some kills but you won't be competitive at all.

I haven't played Halo 5's multiplayer to get a good grasp of it so I can't judge that but anyone that says destiny multiplayer has no skill really just is completely clueless and shouldn't listened to.

I mean, I guess? Every game requires some skill to be proficient at.

It's just that, Destiny is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to competitive MP or skill requirements. Halo 5 seems to be on an entirely different level.

Gascoigne

Banned

I actually have plenty of clues. Destiny's PVP is bottom tier. It's very clearly an afterthought. Halo's PVP requires actual skill. Even using the super-esque skill requires skill in H5.

Lothars

I actually have plenty of clues. Destiny's PVP is bottom tier. It's very clearly an afterthought. Halo's PVP requires actual skill. Even using the super-esque skill requires skill in H5.
Yup you certainly have no clue and repeatedly have shown that you don't know what you are talking about.

nib95

Banned

I have hundreds of hours in to Destiny's MP, and it's no more or less balanced than most major multiplayer shooter really, the only difference is there are more variables for the player to consider. How balanced the PvP is perceived depends on the skill of the player, and their strategic and tactical consideration. You used to have so many people for example complain about getting one shotted by shotguns, and how they're OP, but then you have to wonder why they kept running in to close quarters areas expecting different outcomes.

Generally, when people complain about a game requiring no skill to play, I find by in large it's that the person making the complaint is actually the one who lacks skill, and the complaint is just them trying to excuse their own poor performance by insinuating everyone they played again didn't use skill to beat them in the first place. It's all nonsense of course. Destiny's PvP is especially rewarding to those who are more skilled. Hell, headshots make a massive difference to kill times, and that coupled with the recoil is skill demanding in itself.

OsirisBlack

Banned

What? I am loving Halo so far but I also enjoy Destiny don't even want to tell you how many hours I have in that game post taken king. It definitely does require skill to be good at just like any competitive game weather its semi competitive or tournament level competitive. You are basically saying skill does not play a part in multi player matches in Destiny which could not be further from the truth.

Yes Halo is fun but lets not do this here, you can play both.

Everyone knows that the best Bungie games released in 2014 is Halo 1-3 :)
But I spent a good time on Destiny. The PVP was fun, but it depends a lot of your stuff.

What? I am loving Halo so far but I also enjoy Destiny don't even want to tell you how many hours I have in that game post taken king. It definitely does require skill to be good at just like any competitive game weather its semi competitive or tournament level competitive. You are basically saying skill does not paly a part in multi player matches in Destiny which cold not be further from the truth.

Yes Halo is fun but lets not do this here, you can play both.

I think he knows that a long-time player is better than his mother, of course.

arevin01

Yep Destiny PVP is beyond bad. Its all 1 shotting people with ultimate or OP weapons.

An afterthought? Really?

I dare say Bungie thought about adding a multiplayer deathmatch mode about 5 seconds after conceiving the idea of Destiny.

Destiny's gun skill is pretty low, but its skill comes from momentum and counter plays.
Halo's gun skill is high and its gameplay revolves around positioning and spawn control.

They're both different games and you really shouldn't be playing one for what the other offers.

Lothars

Well you sure told me.
You keep saying destiny has no skill but that's not true at all,

You have no actually facts other than you keep trying to prop up halo 5 but that hasn't been out a day yet.

I am sure Halo 5 multiplayer will be good to great but both can coexist and both require skill.

I have hundreds of hours in to Destiny's MP, and it's no more or less balanced than most major multiplayer shooter really, the only difference is there are more variables for the player to consider. How balanced the PvP is perceived depends on the skill of the player, and their strategic and tactical consideration. You used to have so many people for example complain about getting one shotted by shotguns, and how they're OP, but then you have to wonder why they kept running in to close quarters areas expecting different outcomes.

Generally, when people complain about a game requiring no skill to play, I find by in large it's that the person making the complaint is actually the one who lacks skill, and the complaint is just them trying to excuse their own poor performance by insinuating everyone they played again didn't use skill to beat them in the first place. It's all nonsense of course. Destiny's PvP is especially rewarding to those who are more skilled. Hell, headshots make a massive difference to kill times, and that coupled with the recoil is skill demanding in itself.

Glad someone said it. If you're outright saying that the game requires no skill, then you either have little experience in crucible (at max level, gear-wise)or you aren't that great a player to begin with.

It plays different than halo in regards to the skill required, but both are games that appreciate skill in various areas. Not sure why folks have to shit on one to like the other, they're both enjoyable.

Glad someone said it. If you're outright saying that the game requires no skill, then you either have little experience in crucible (at max level, gear-wise)or you aren't that great a player to begin with.

It's just hyperbole. Again, that game does not put gunskill on a pedestal like Halo.

nib95

Banned
Yep Destiny PVP is beyond bad. Its all 1 shotting people with ultimate or OP weapons.

Whilst there are many ways to be one shotted, some intelligent play can usually save your skin most times. Generally minding your surroundings, keeping your distance, strafing effectively and consistently getting headshots deals with this issue. A combination of this strategy is why I never really had an issue with fusion rifle or shotgun users.

As long as you strafe well (the idea being so they cannot predict your movements) and are pummelling them with headshots constantly, they have little chance or time getting a shot off on you whilst their screen is twitching from the hit response, for the two to three seconds or so they'll be alive.

When did this become about Destiny?

It shouldn't have. Halo 5 is a wonderful game and I snuck out of the bed while the wife was sleeping just to play a bit more last night. Great game so far. There is no need to pay any mind to reviews, it seems to have the gaf seal of approval anyhow. I love it

Got the game last night.. Im on mission 8 and I LOVE the story so far... and the multiplayer is prob the best thing since halo ce/2. Amazing game.

Glad to hear the story is good, at first, impressions seemed mixed around here.

Strakt

Got the game last night.. Im on mission 8 and I LOVE the story so far... and the multiplayer is prob the best thing since halo ce/2. Amazing game.

No, it isn't. And it hasn't been for a long, long time now.

Yea, I mean... there was serversurfer not too long back... and he was definitely up there.

EDIT: Oh wow... there's still serversurfer actually. Must have been temp.

Nah, there are threads worst than one comment. Didn't Halo Gaf get nuked for some horrible stuff? Yeah, I don't think that's the worst but I don't want to dwell too much into warrior comments lol

What I don't understand is the obsession with this score. Then again I believe the same happened with Uncharted 3 and then whatever new Nintendo game flops so... I guess it isn't too surprising. Beloved franchises are always so controversial.

VinFTW

I love how people are "bad" if they don't like destinys pvp. It's good fun but it really lacks any sort of skill gap. It's hilariously unbalanced.

that has nothing to do with being good or bad, which I'm not bad at all, usually finish within the top 1 or 2

Zeta Oni

Nah, there are threads worst than one comment. Didn't Halo Gaf get nuked for some horrible stuff? Yeah, I don't think that's the worst but I don't want to dwell too much into warrior comments lol

What I don't understand is the obsession with this score. Then again I believe the same happened with Uncharted 3 and then whatever new Nintendo game flops so... I guess it isn't too surprising. Beloved franchises are always so controversial.

From what I understand of the Uncharted 3 situation, I'd say the reaction here is alot less.....passionate.

VinFTW

long as we keep this in mind when people criticize Halo's multiplayer.
Halo 5 in particular is much more difficult than previous halos. I have no doubt people will struggle for a while before they really enjoy it, or give up before then.

If it wasn't already obvious I'm into the whole halo esports thing and like to be very competitive with it, so naturally, it's the series biggest evolution and also it's best.

Halo 5s mp is one of if not the best in the series.

Synth

The score obsession is pretty much just a case of people trying to turn something subjective (and an aggregated collection of subjectives) into something factual. So a great game factually scores over 90+ on metacritic, and scoring an 85 on metacritic means that it isn't great. It's a ridiculous over simplification, that disregards so many factors that can move a game within a 5 point window.

Example time!
Destiny: The Taken King
PlayStation 4: 85
Xbox One: 90

These are two metacritic aggregations for THE SAME GAME. In fact that Xbox One version lacks content that the PS4 version has.. yet there's still a 5 point spread between their aggregations. Metacritic is consistent enough for us to know that the game is "very good" in either case, but it's not an exact science that allows us to validate a game as being better than another game. If we had two alternate universes where each of these scores applied to Destiny as a respective exclusive, many people in this thread would talk about how the game is either a "clear disappointment", or that it'd be in discussion for game of the year alongside MGSV, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and potentially Fallout 4. It's senseless, but people honestly struggle to see how situational an aggregate score is... how on a 5 point scale if you don't get a perfect 10, then you get an 8, and how this plus different weighting means that who gives certain scores is almost as important as how many of each score it receives.

Halo 5 in particular is much more difficult than previous halos. I have no doubt people will struggle for a while before they really enjoy it, or give up before then.

If it wasn't already obvious I'm into the whole halo esports thing and like to be very competitive with it, so naturally, it's the series biggest evolution and also it's best.

Halo 5s mp is one of if not the best in the series.

I agree that Halo 5's gunplay is the best it's been in a long time, but that has nothing to do with the issues with the game.

Top Bottom