• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Even if those 5 listed gave it 90, the average would still be 85.

However, adding those other 5 I referred to earlier. If they all scored 90, then the average goes up to 86.

I really can't see this climbing/dropping by 1/2 percent now, as great as mid-80s is. i think it's found it's MC level.

I also think this lunch break is clearly not as interesting as I thought it was going to be.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I never once played a Halo game. I'd like to start from Halo 1 with the MCC collection, but since I am primarily interested in getting a PS4 again and not an Xbox One, I have to wait a long time until the Xbox One is so damn cheap that I won't feel bad for only buying it for MCC and Halo 5 (that cost would have to be less than $150). Is the series worth getting into still?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Even numbers always look better imo

I cringed earlier when I heard someone called 85 a nice "even" #

I have this feeling ign is going to give it a 8 or something controversial like a 7.9

That IGN review in progress reads to me like an 8.9 or 9.1.

...actually, I'm thinking they will just give it a 9 now that I think about it :D

I never once played a Halo game. I'd like to start from Halo 1 with the MCC collection, but since I am primarily interested in getting a PS4 again and not an Xbox One, I have to wait a long time until the Xbox One is so damn cheap that I won't feel bad for only buying it for MCC and Halo 5 (that cost would have to be less than $150). Is the series worth getting into still?

It's not $150, but there is a Master Chief Collection bundle that exists: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TY9KYKE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

etta

my hard graphic balls
Semi off-topic: I dunno why but I feel 86 is significantly better than 85 for some reason.

Because your brain tends to round it up. 6 is in the second half of the {1,10} range, so you see it closer to 10 than 1.

I'm not saying it's not better, by the way.

Matchmaking is so fast! Online play is smooth and well balanced. Well balanced. I haven't played Campaign much yet but if you are even slightly MP focused you need to grab this game. Warzone and Arena are fucking incredible. I don't care if the score went down to 70 this is halo done right. Love it.

Eurogamer doesn't give score anymore.

And this thread is a testament as to why.

The game plays amazingly well and so far the campaign has been exactly what I wanted and a return to form for the Halo sandbox. This will not stop people who haven't played the game from continuing to complain about something they literally don't know anything about however.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Even if those 5 listed gave it 90, the average would still be 85.

Except Metacritic gives weights to each site meaning some affect the aggregate more than others. Those sites (at least the ones that still use scores) likely have the highest weight.

BokehKing

Banned
lol I am not willing to spend me than $150 for the Xbox One since it's not my console of choice and the PS4 is. Thanks anyway. I'd like to know if the Halo series is really worth getting into anymore.
Depends,
If You only play modern shooters you will be crouching a lot when you go to run and throwing grenades behind cover when you want to ADS

some guns look like they have scopes but are really only binoculars

You have one big reticle on screen so imo it's hard to get head shots, I feel like I'm hitting shoulders due to the size of the reticle

(I'm no pro, halo gaf can answer better, I'm not good enough to consider myself part of halo GAF...yet)

Chobel

Because your brain tends to round it up. 6 is in the second half of the {1,10} range, so you see it closer to 10 than 1.

That's must be it, my brain must see 86 very close to 90 unlike 85.

I'm not saying it's not better, by the way.

Oh I know, it's just that 1/100 difference seems a lot bigger in my brain, even though 85 and 86 are practically the same.
---------------------------

Edit: I just checked Metacritic and it's still 85.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Depends,
If You only play modern shooters you will be crouching a lot when you go to run and throwing grenades behind cover when you want to ADS

some guns look like they have scopes but are really only binoculars

You have one big reticle on screen so imo it's hard to get head shots, I feel like I'm hitting shoulders due to the size of the reticle

(I'm no pro, halo gaf can answer better, I'm not good enough to consider myself part of halo GAF...yet)

Then I'll give you a little background about shooters that I like: Call of Duty. lol

And I say that rather reluctantly because for years now I've been trying to swear off the series and move away from it. Now I'm feeling the urge to play it again. It's the only shooter I've ever been able to comfortably play given its mechanics and fluidity.

Do you think I'll enjoy Halo? I prefer faster paced akin to Unreal Tournament 99, which is my all-time favorite shooter. Now I settle for Call of Duty.

Septic360

Banned
Wait, there's only like 4-5 mixed reviews?

If that's true that's such a shame. It's why I hate metacritic.

Yup. Take a look for yourself:

8xmjbgX.jpg

A grand total of FOUR mixed reviews. And the way metacritic works, one mixed review drags the whole total down.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That's must be it, my brain must see 86 very close to 90 unlike 85.
Oh I know, it's just that 1/100 difference seems a lot bigger in my brain, even though 85 and 86 are practically the same.

Also, when I'm saying your brain, I'm not saying it as a slight to you. Human brain in general does this, similar to how it likes to organize everything and seek patterns.

8xmjbgX.jpg

A grand total of FOUR mixed reviews. And the way metacritic works, one mixed review drags the whole total down.
Oh wow, had I not known better, given by this thread I would have thought it was 45 mixed reviews and 4 positive.

Exile20

Solo campaign only 4 hours and they really decided to drop split-screen for this? Looking at reviews saying the story moves nowhere I guess it's pretty safe to skip this for now, never played Halo for online multiplayer.
Gameplay looks fun though, I'm sure people who enjoy some online will have a blast, I'll have to do with Destiny for now.

WAIT WHAT?!?!?! 4 hours? Please tell me you are exaggerating.

For me it was unacceptable because it was key feature of the game.

To be fair these are the unacepatable launch games in my book (this gen):

- Battlefield 4
- DriveClub
- Assassins Creed last year
- MCC

These game were utter broke at launch and months after...

At least you could play DC and BF4s single player, both AC:U and the MCC were a disaster on launch.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Metacritic would do better to simply list in detail, using information from all reviewers, what works and what doesn't work in the game. Quite literally an aggregate of pros and cons.

At least it's an even number!

Amazingly, it's lower than MCC. Idk...

Having played it that is such utter BS and makes me so infuriated over the scores MCC got out the gate. I haven't played any of the campaign in 5 but the MP so far is really excellent. It feels like old Halo but new Halo at the same time.

This seems to be a weird alternate universe. I'm actually pretty happy to see that Halo 5 is reviewing so well, and that impressions from those that played it are so positive. I was hoping it would b great, and that seems to be the case.

Well, everywhere but here. Somehow here it is mediocre to awful, and getting hammered by reviews. It's odd to see anyone use Metacritic as anything but a rough estimate and a decent place to actually read an assortment of reviews. Are there actually people that just use the score? That is weird.

Phil4000

So the remaining reviews are:

IGN
Game Informer
Eurogamer
Gamespot
Gametrailers

So the metacritic could go up or down right?

So basically the only sites opinions I actually care about haha

All I want to hear is that the multiplayer is fantastic, I can live with a mediocre campaign, as I only usually played it over 2-3 times in past games, the quality of the multiplayer is what matters. Hoping for a big improvement off 4 as I didn't like the ordinance drops and the lack of focus off of Halos awesome vehicles.

After so many pages, real previews should start popping up now. Looks like MP is fantastic, isn't they the bread and butter of the franchise? I haven't played since original Xbox, but that was the whole point of halo for me, sitting on the couch shooting each other and beating the game together. If the game does that well, should sell a ton. Driveclub is not a high metatraffic, but easily one of the best racers I've ever played. I get this is halo and what's expected, but you can't reinvent the wheel and make a masterpiece everytime unless you take a decade a game like R* lol

Enjoy the game fellas...

CDV13

I just want to play SWAT and Breakout. That is all. The "low" 84 score that people are freaking out about is laughable. The realm of video game fandom is filled with spazzes and overreactions.

Except Metacritic gives weights to each site meaning some affect the aggregate more than others. Those sites (at least the ones that still use scores) likely have the highest weight.

That;s true, but when reading about it, the weighing isn't that great actually. Interesting to see what happens though.

The mechanics and multiplayer are superb. I've only played 2 missions of the single player so far so I can't comment much on that, but it's crazy to me that this could end up reviewing worse than Reach, MCC and 4.

BokehKing

Banned
Then I'll give you a little background about shooters that I like: Call of Duty. lol

And I say that rather reluctantly because for years now I've been trying to swear off the series and move away from it. Now I'm feeling the urge to play it again. It's the only shooter I've ever been able to comfortably play given its mechanics and fluidity.

Do you think I'll enjoy Halo? I prefer faster paced akin to Unreal Tournament 99, which is my all-time favorite shooter. Now I settle for Call of Duty.
Honestly I loved halo until COD4, battlefield series, borderlands and destiny

They all share the same control style

After 10 plus years of that it does make halos style feel old imo

mp is "balanced" with everyone using the same weapons
I want to say you won't like it, I'm only getting it got the warzone mode, high chance I'll return my Xbox one if I don't enjoy it, BUT everyone is different and because halo was my first online shooter, I feel I owe it to my roots to try it

etta

my hard graphic balls
The mechanics and multiplayer are superb. I've only played 2 missions of the single player so far so I can't comment much on that, but it's crazy to me that this could end up reviewing worse than Reach, MCC and 4.

This happened with everything, though. Games are reviewing tougher than last gen.

May have something to do with the level of hype generated by the game allowing reviewers to feel "let down" of sorts if it wasn't completely amazing in all aspects.

I'd imagine it is a very good game and people will enjoy for years to come.

Nameless

8xmjbgX.jpg

I think it's more that a 7.5 is still considered "positive", which I agree with, but if if Halo 5, or any major franchise, had a 75 MC GAF would be burn itself to the ground.

GametimeUK

I'm not saying the game deserves more or anything, but it's not low and honestly I think it is a lot harder to hit 90+ on MC in this day and age compared to last gen.

Gascoigne

Banned
Honestly I loved halo until COD4, battlefield series, borderlands and destiny

They all share the same control style

After 10 plus years of that it does make halos style feel old imo

mp is "balanced" with everyone using the same weapons
I want to say you won't like it, I'm only getting it got the warzone mode, high chance I'll return my Xbox one if I don't enjoy it, BUT everyone is different and because halo was my first online shooter, I feel I owe it to my roots to try it

It must have pained you to see what Bungie did to PVP in Destiny then. Total garbage. Which is why Halo 5 has been so great in addition to have an excellent story playable in co-op.

I couldn't play bf4 single player. Game kept deleting my progress every time I would try to continue. I gave up and never went back.

Yeah, forgot about that. Same happened to me, but i beat it and trust me you didn't miss a thing!

As for H5 I went to a friends house and the game feel so good, the combat flow is excellent! As for the graphic there is to be desired, but given the hardware in the consoles it's understandable games are looking the way they are!
Now patiently waits for my buddy to pass me his X1 so i can enjoy H5!

BokehKing

Banned
It must have pained you to see what Bungie did to PVP in Destiny then. Total garbage. Which is why Halo 5 has been so great in addition to have an excellent story playable in co-op.
Nah I was happy to see Bungie move away from the halo style. Imo Destiny PvP is a lot of fun and gets hectic
Far from garbage, I just need to practice at halo to get good, like how you probably have to practice at Destiny

Solo campaign only 4 hours and they really decided to drop split-screen for this? Looking at reviews saying the story moves nowhere I guess it's pretty safe to skip this for now, never played Halo for online multiplayer.
Gameplay looks fun though, I'm sure people who enjoy some online will have a blast, I'll have to do with Destiny for now.

Tomorrow the campaign will last 1 hour ;)

Top Bottom