• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 World Record Speedrun Will Make Your Head Spin

Drencrom

Amazing, wonder how much time people spent on making this run possible.

And yeah, it's been 8 years since the release of Episode 2...

If I was told after I finished the game that I would be waiting for a sequel 8 years in the future with no end in sight I wouldn't believe it.

Kadin

I'll never wrap my head around how people can effectively navigate in such a manner while going backwards. I just don't see how, even doing it hundreds of times, players can do it so efficiently and make it look so seemless - to the point that the game has to literally almost break to keep up.

Very, very impressive.

Scher

"Here, you take this. You're better with it than I am" she says, as Gordom Freeman grabs the gravity gun and immediately flies off the edge of the world.

AkuMifune

Banned
Aliceroom3.jpg

Aesius

LOL.

18:05:

"You'll find the sawmill at the far end of the....far end of the.....far end of the....far end of the...."

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Holy crap, I just watched the ending of the game on YouTube, to see what it looks like not glitched.

Are they serious? That's how the game ends. That's F-ed up... there's no resolution! That's depressing. Jeeesh damn. I'm glad I never played that game because I think I would be pissed.

nded

Holy crap, I just watched the ending of the game on YouTube, to see what it looks like not glitched.

Are they serious? That's how the game ends. That's F-ed up... there's no resolution! That's depressing. Jeeesh damn. I'm glad I never played that game because I think I would be pissed.

Now you know why people are so worked up about HL3.

Lol now imagine actually playing the game and getting invested in the story and the characters. People get worked up about HL3 for a reason.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Lol now imagine actually playing the game and getting invested in the story and the characters. People get worked up about HL3 for a reason.

Good grief. Fuck that whole series. I wouldn't recommend anyone play it and then get invested in the story. That is DUMB.

Remember kids, when woman walks too slowly, SMASH HER HEAD WITH A METAL SCRAP WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

After watching some weirder TASes, this isn't anything nauseous in particular. Though it's still funny as hell.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, the way he made the rocket launch. LMAO.

Good grief. Fuck that whole series. I wouldn't recommend anyone play it and then get invested in the story. That is DUMB.

It's not dumb. It's just painful. The games are awesome but Valve can't be bothered these days. At this point people don't care. When it gets announced we will all lose our minds, but not before.

litelite_

Neo Member
"In order to make this work, some parts of the run weren’t done consecutively, so that particular strategies could be employed:"

I'm not even watching this.

"To make this marathon work, some parts of the run wasn't done consecutively, so that particular strategies could be employed"

Have some pride boys. What happened?

If you want to show what could happen for fun, sure. Just don't try to sell it as a world record.

It's sort of interesting how TASes and segment speedruns have a hatedom on GAF, yet I don't remember anybody doing regular speedrun of Source games. I wonder whether that has something to do with built-in savestate functionality.

nded

An assisted run is skillful?

Obviously they just launched the HL2 Speedrun Utility and typed "33:52" in the Record Time field.
/s

Tool assisted runs aren't meant as a showcase of individual skill anyway, they're mostly to show all the weird stuff you can do by taking a game in it's released state and exploiting the fuck out of any and all coding oddities you can find.

Jito

Banned
If you want to show what could happen for fun, sure. Just don't try to sell it as a world record.

No where on the video does it say world record, only OP wrote that and I don't know why seeing as the video doesn't say it. It's just a fun speed run video.

Oh you didn't even bother to open the video before commenting, that explains a lot.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I haven't finished E2 yet, and it took about 1:30 to get as far as I've got. Wow. If the whole run is 30 minutes, is E2 a full length game? I assumed it'd be quite short, like E1 was.

Edit: Oh, I see, it's a playful TAS. I also see lots of hatred for TASes. Weird.

I haven't finished E2 yet, and it took about 1:30 to get as far as I've got. Wow. If the whole run is 30 minutes, is E2 a full length game? I assumed it'd be quite short, like E1 was.

Edit: Oh, I see, it's a playful TAS. I also see lots of hatred for TASes. Weird.

It's so long (this speedrun that is) because of the scenes where you're locked into a room and the NPCs give you exposition. It took them 7-8 mins to get to White Forest, and there's a cutscene which is almost as long. Then after the big battle there's another long one again.

MUnited83

For you.
"In order to make this work, some parts of the run weren’t done consecutively, so that particular strategies could be employed:"

I'm not even watching this.

"To make this marathon work, some parts of the run wasn't done consecutively, so that particular strategies could be employed"

Have some pride boys. What happened?

" guy who is not part of the speedrunning community argues that speedrunning should always follow arbitrary guidelines defined by him only. You won't believe what happens next!"

Jito

Banned
It explains what exactly? I've already seen clean HL2 runs.

It explains why you thought it was a claim to being a world record. If you'd opened the video you'd have noticed that no where does it say that.

Anyway lol, funny to see people get bent out of shape over speedruns as usual.

TASs and segmented runs have never competed with single segment real time runs, they are separate categories. I figure keeping this in mind would keep some of the silly comments at bay, but I could be wrong.

This run is a solid 10/10 on the entertainment scale.

Dunkley

It was acceptable back then since everyone assumed it'll be just a year or two until Episode 3 is released.

Really got you pumped for the conclusion.

Gabe3208

Banned
I wish these would be called "glitch-runs" rather than "speed-runs." Just so I could know what I'm about to see, I just hate wasting time looking at headache-inducing glitches.

Nibel

Well, the thing is back then we all thought they would follow up with Episode 3 soon after which is why I think the backlash on the ending was pretty low or even non-existant, from what I could tell at least.

Top Bottom