• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gurman: Apple is building a metaverse-like world and 3D video service for its VR headset. Costs between $2000-$3000. M2-chip 10 cameras.

Gurman reiterated a few details about the upcoming Apple extended reality headset. He says that it will be a high-end product that will cost between $2,000 and $3,000. The high cost will come from the powerful hardware he says Apple will be putting inside this headset, including the Mac-level M2 chip, more than 10 cameras, and the highest-resolution displays in the consumer VR market.

Gurman says Apple wants to build a video service with 3D content for the headset. Additionally, the company seems to be looking for someone to aid the development of a 3D mixed-reality world. It looks like Apple may be looking to build a metaverse-like world, but better.

The listing says that the hire will work with other developers to "build tools and frameworks to enable connected experiences in a 3D mixed-reality world." It further says, "You will work closely with Apple’s UI framework, human interface designers and system capabilities teams—pushing you to think outside-the-box, and solve incredibly challenging and interesting problems in the 3D application space.”

Apple seems to have a distaste for Meta's version of this concept, so we can expect its version to be drastically different. Apple CEO Tim Cook also recently said in an interview that he doesn't think an average person would know what the metaverse is, which should tell you what to expect if Apple takes a crack at the idea. Although, if you want to experience it, be prepared to shell out more money than you would even do for Apple's best iPhones and best iPads.

Apple is also looking for engineers who can work on development tools geared toward virtual and augmented reality. Unsurprisingly, it appears that the company wants its new operating system to use App Intents, which lets apps work with features like Siri and Shortcuts.

“We are looking for a software engineer who will work on the App Intents framework to help design and implement solutions to unlock deep system intelligence, enable new developer tools, and facilitate novel user interactions from application data models which are leveraged by a variety of system services such as Shortcuts, Siri, Search, and more,” one job listing for the TDG department says.

The most interesting job listing is one that specifically calls out the development of a 3D mixed-reality world, suggesting that Apple is working on a virtual environment that is similar to the metaverse—though don’t expect Apple to embrace that term. Its marketing chief said at a recent event that metaverse is “a word I’ll never use.”

That listing describes working with other developers to “build tools and frameworks to enable connected experiences in a 3D mixed-reality world.”

“You will work closely with Apple’s UI framework, human interface designers and system capabilities teams—pushing you to think outside-the-box, and solve incredibly challenging and interesting problems in the 3D application space,” it reads.

As the launch approaches, Apple has also made two key additions to the management team overseeing the device’s development: a former senior leader on its self-driving car staff and one of its most senior software engineering managers.

The group itself is run by Mike Rockwell, Apple’s vice president of AR/VR, as well as Dan Riccio, its ex-chief of all hardware who likely sees the product as his final initiative at Apple. Riccio reports directly to Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook, underscoring the seriousness of the work.

Apple seems to be going all in with this headset even taking jabs at Facebook for it's poor implementation of their version of web 3.0 so far.

I expect this headset to be an option at phone carriers to make it more accessible, but I also think that they'll probably find a way to lower the costs just a bit. I don't see them going over $2000 with it personally at least not if they are planning more than one model which they usually do. If there's a pro model I expect the standard to cost no more than 2000.

The hardwork to get software up to par is polar opposite of where the VR industry has gone so far. Having quality games and applications will set Apples headset far apart from Quest, Vive, or PSVR. Varied applications from games, surfing, and productivity would place Apple in a position where the price may seem worth it to people. If they make sure the headset isn't too bulky that's another plus.

They are packing serious hardware into the headset and I expect them to have the best fov, display tech, and graphics so far. I also expect it to be wireless or to at least come with wireless as an option out the gate. I'm sure there will also be some form of interaction with their other products like Apple Tv, Iphone and Mac.

As reported in the last thread about the headset, they are expected to announce the headset shortly after they have produced the initial shipment of 700k headsets in March, with it releasing late that month or in April. I expect they will rapidly adjust production based on how fast that initial shipments sales.

I think Facebook, HTC, Valve, and Sony are in trouble since this Apply VR headset which also includes AR is coming sooner than later, early 2023 around the same time frame as the PSVR2. VR is suddenly about to get a lor more competitive and I have a feeling there's the software so far is going to quickly change as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It sounds like a crazy price but is it, if the device is much better than the $1500 Oculus Quest Pro? The M2 chip is way better than whatever chip is in that thing and it sounds like the tech is better too.

reinking

Gold Member
Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

Soodanim

Gold Member
At best I predict a life similar to Stadia: it gets some niche support, but won't get big support and eventually it will die off as another failed venture. Not even Apple can convince people to do anything close to Metaverse on headsets.

People spend $1000 on their phone because it's their main device for every single day of their life. A VR headset is the complete opposite to that: a more expensive device that does less, for entertainment use and limited to home life but requires more effort to use than standard entertainment devices.

Cut your losses, salvage what you can, and call it a day Apple. The few high end businesses with money to burn that adopt this won't make it a successful consumer product.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Soon entertainment will be only for super rich.
Let’s hope consoles won’t ever use mobile model

CobraAB

Apple can usually sell anything with its logo on it but at that price for a headset, nope.

Now where can I sign up for that PSVR2 thingy?

Lasha

Apple doesn't need the first version of the headset to be a market sensation. It only needs enough of its super consumers to buy v1 to cement the headset as an object of desire. Apple can use the cash of its biggest spending users to develop a plan for a mass market VR push with v2 or even v3.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We will see. I didn't see that many iphone and mac buyers going to bat for the Apple TV. VR will have a larger hurdle because of the very base question of 'what purpose does this serve me on a day to day basis?'

Isn't the Apple TV the most successful streaming box?

Topher

Gold Member
Dont underestimate what Apple will sell to reap in giant profits from loyalists. Here it is from Apple Canada's site.

suyNKHb.jpg

Well, to be fair, the types of people who bought that thing is an extreme loyalist. I like Apple products generally as they work very well, but I'm the first to admit there is a certain level of insanity for those who have to have the most expensive shit Apple sells. I'd say this VR unit is in that category as well.

daveonezero

Banned
Sounds like a business solution. It’s stupid. I’ve been In Offices for large companies. They spend $1000s on video conference hardware systems.

Then no one knows how to troubleshoot it and they end up doing meetings over their laptops. Meanwhile their room is outfitted with 85” monitors, room mics, and people tracking cameras.

Then the problem ends up all you need to do to To fix the issue Is recharge the remotes and restart the whole system.

DOA. Who would pay that price?
Big corporations.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
VR is past the initial "need an expensive v1 to create the market" phase. The market for VR exists, now we're chasing cost effective improvements. If Apple brings a stand-alone VR headset to market, simply having a higher resolution screen and better graphics isn't going to cut it. Cheaper, lighter, smaller, better are the aspects worth considering now. With that said, if they launch a fashionable pair of AR/VR sunglasses at that price, they might have something. Doubtful, though - doesn't seem like the technology is there yet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
VR is past the initial "need an expensive v1 to create the market" phase. The market for VR exists, now we're chasing cost effective improvements. If Apple brings a stand-alone VR headset to market, simply having a higher resolution screen and better graphics isn't going to cut it. Cheaper, lighter, smaller, better are the aspects worth considering now. With that said, if they launch a fashionable pair of AR/VR sunglasses at that price, they might have something. Doubtful, though - doesn't seem like the technology is there yet.
By the looks of it VR googles arent coming down in price. If this Apple thing is true, prices are actually going up.

It seems the lowest priced VR sets are PS at about $500, then it goes up with all the PC sets. The floor of PS at $500 is still true vs PSVR 1 when it was $400 but you needed to buy a cam and move or whatever.

So prices havent gone down. At least not yet.

It all comes down to when or if VR sets have hit their price points and thats what it is. Just like for TVs, you get low end ones at $500 but the bigger better sets go for $2000+. It's been like that for decades. It's come to a point the prices dont change but the specs do. For VR who knows. Maybe if costs come down, the entry level models will be $200 and the top end will be $800. We'll all have to see how this all shakes out as it's still new.

nikos

People will hate on it until they can afford it.

Apple is about selling SERVICES. If they're serious about a platform, they'll find ways to get it in people's hands. Ask me how I know.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People will hate on it until they can afford it.

Apple is about selling SERVICES. If they're serious about a platform, they'll find ways to get it in people's hands. Ask me how I know.
Apple is about selling hardware first. If they cared about services and content, they'd drop their prices so more people would buy their gear and then get the sales from backend services and digital content.

Page 40. Approx sales.

iPhone 50%
Mac 10%
iPad 10%
iWatch/Home Accessories/Apple TV/Beats 10%
Services (which includes digital content, Apple Care, Cloud etc...) 20%

Last edited:

Kumomeme

apple currently in position that people will still buy whatever price they throw around which is, an 'advantage' for them since price vs hardware affordability is one of biggest entry barrier for people.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Dont underestimate what Apple will sell to reap in giant profits from loyalists. Here it is from Apple Canada's site.

suyNKHb.jpg
Well, to be fair, the types of people who bought that thing is an extreme loyalist. I like Apple products generally as they work very well, but I'm the first to admit there is a certain level of insanity for those who have to have the most expensive shit Apple sells. I'd say this VR unit is in that category as well.
The best part about the Pro Display XDR release was the apple fanboys that came out to tell you "This is for HDR color calibration, it's cheaper than alternatives and those expensive monitors look uglier". Many youtubers including Linus Tech Tips himself perpetuated this myth about it being aimed at HDR colorists.
TUVFXRt.png

OQ70vvY.png

That Tiberiu guy knew what he was talking about. Can't blame them when Apple misleads them on stage
sony.jpg

This reference monitor that is used in holywood definitely looks uglier and costs ten times more, as apple claims. But after the hype died down and numerous apple fan channels bought this even though they are not colorists and don't have use for it, some channels like HDTVtest(and a few others) started pointing out that the Pro Display XDR is very inferior to montitors used by professionals for color calibration.

apd-xdr.jpg

image.png

Pro Display XDR definitely has a market, it's for smaller studios that can't afford the reference monitors, and competes with LG or Asus's HDR calibration monitor at the same price change. But Apple didn't want to admit that on-stage.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I hope Tim Apple makes a better app than The Zuck. I went into Meta's app and it sucked. It felt like Second Life except somehow emptier. There were a couple of interesting venues with music and comedy so I think the idea of a virtual world has potential. Hopefully someone can unlock it.

Anyone who thinks this is "DoA" need to wake up to reality. It's expensive as fuck yeah but it's Apple. $2-3k is nothing for their fans. I mean, have you seen the price of any of their products? Also, for many people Apple is a luxury fashion brand. Seriously. The Apple logo/product design is a status symbol for people and people want to be seen using/wearing the latest products by Apple. This headset is gonna be a success.

I remember people saying the Apple Watch was too expensive and nobody would ever buy it. I remember the same about the iPad. People said it about iPhone too.

This isn't just a gaming headset. They want this to be their next big product that will eventually replace the iPhone.

Give it a few years and we'll see different models. An "SE" budget model and a "Pro" / "Ultra" model. With that they will target as many price ranges as possible.

Last edited:

plip.plop

Anybody willing to go into debt for such a niche device needs to reconsider all of their life choices. If you can afford it and are willing to pay a ludicrous price, then have fun.

jigglet

Banned
At best I predict a life similar to Stadia: it gets some niche support

The difference with Stadia is Stadia was competing against mature platforms with very rich content.

VR is all still in the phase of Launch-Nintendo-style gimmicky shit. Other than a few standouts like Half-life, the bar is still so incredibly low.

When you say "niche" support - compared to what? It's all pretty damn niche.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah but the vast majority of people don't buy their phones, cash? I suppose this thing won't be sold though carriers with a monthly payment plan?
Maybe who knows
Complaining about price with apple is billshit anyways.

The apple watch ultra is 999 and it looks and feels premium af.

Apple getting into Vr will revolutionize it.
Same for tablets
Wireless airbuds
Smartwatches

Etc etc

Top Bottom