• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's upcoming VR headset to have "In-air typing" according to DigitalTrends.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-reality-pro-delayed-wwdc-heres-why/

In-air typing
Aside from explaining Apple’s rationale in moving the launch date, Gurman also revealed a previously unconfirmed detail about the headset. When listing the product’s features, Gurman included “in-air typing” alongside “passthrough cameras … hand and eye control and ultra-high-resolution displays.”

That’s interesting because it’s seemingly the first confirmation that users will be able to type in midair without needing a connected Apple device (like an iPhone) or keyboard. Gurman had previously claimed Apple was working on this tech, but that it was unlikely to be ready in time for launch.

Past leaks have suggested the Reality Pro will be able to connect to a Mac and function as a sort of wearable second screen for the computer. It could also feature a Digital Crown-like switch to toggle between augmented reality and virtual reality, a pair of high-resolution displays, and a user interface that feels familiar to users of iOS and iPadOS.

Gurman previously reported that the device was delayed due to combined hardware and software issues. With a bit more breathing room until the Reality Pro launches, the pressure is on Apple to make sure the wait is worth it.

While there's a thread on the delay, there's another new update. It Looks like you'll be typing on a virtual keyboard with Apples upcoming headset.
vitoria-falcao-ana-clara.gif

This is potentially game changing because that means it'll be easier to port PC games to VR that use the keyboard, without the extra work of configuring for VR controllers. The motion-Pen from the other thread could be the mouse, or they could make the mouse in-air as well.

Imagine complex action shooters, or ambitious real-time strategy games up close in VR.

nowhat

This is potentially game changing because that means it'll be easier to port PC games to VR that use the keyboard, without the extra work of configuring for VR controllers.
doubt.jpg

Likely one wouldn't be looking at a virtual keyboard while playing a game, but you know, the actual game. And with no visual feedback as to what keys your fingers are over, and with no tactile feedback so you don't know when you're making a keypress, that seems like a terrible idea.

This is potentially game changing because that means it'll be easier to port PC games to VR that use the keyboard, without the extra work of configuring for VR controllers. The motion-Pen from the other thread could be the mouse, or they could make the mouse in-air as well.

Surely you're joking. You can already push buttons in VR with your hands on the Quest 3, and trust me when I say that there is no way you could play a mouse-keyboard game with just your hands in VR. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Surely you're joking. You can already push buttons in VR with your hands on the Quest 3, and trust me when I say that there is no way you could play a mouse-keyboard game with just your hands in VR. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Quest 3 isn't even out yet.

Also we are talking about in-air typing, that's different from a projected keyboard screen. The difference is in the logo of the company doing it, and you guys keep failing to realize that a logo is enough to confuse people into believing a company did something first.

So casuals will hear about Apple VR's in-air typing, and then think it's cool, and think the Facebook keyboard is lame. It's called Applewashing.

Can’t wait for all the apple users to “discover” these great apple features brought to you “exclusively” by apple for twice the price.

Sent from my iPhone.

Also the "inventors" too.

Quest 3 isn't even out yet.

Also we are talking about in-air typing, that's different from a projected keyboard screen. The difference is in the logo of the company doing it, and you guys keep failing to realize that a logo is enough to confuse people into believing a company did something first.

So casuals will hear about Apple VR's in-air typing, and then think it's cool, and think the Facebook keyboard is lame. It's called Applewashing.

Also the "inventors" too.
Typo. Quest 2. And yeah, you can already do it and it sucks. You need to physically touch a keyboard to use a keyboard properly. No one wants to hold their hands in mid air for any amount of time and VR-type. It’s a miserable UX experience

No one wants to hold their hands in mid air for any amount of time and VR-type. It’s a miserable UX experience

They will for novelty for the first 3 months to a year a new hardware platform comes out marketing it as sci-fi future of tech. Until they realize they don't, but Apple would have already sold many headsets by then.

They will for novelty for the first 3 months to a year a new hardware platform comes out marketing it as sci-fi future of tech. Until they realize they don't, but Apple would have already sold many headsets by then.
I really dont think Apple is going to sell "many" headsets if the rumored price is correct

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I bet this is one of those fake products Apple has people work on, just to see who’s leaking secrets + to throw off their competitors.

I really dont think Apple is going to sell "many" headsets if the rumored price is correct

No VR headset outside of Quest has shipped 1 million units since 2018, even 3 million would be many in this case. At that price it would probably be profitable too if they don't overship.

Although it also depends on if they work with retailers and carriers to subsidize.

No VR headset outside of Quest has shipped 1 million units since 2018, even 3 million would be many in this case. At that price it would probably be profitable too if they don't overship.

Although it also depends on if they work with retailers and carriers to subsidize.
Here in Sweden the basic version is practically sold out, but the COTM bundle is readily available still.

Top Bottom