• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

clem84

Gold Member
I don't know in what state these games are at the moment but I can say that I was really hyped when the first trailer was released, and that hype just about evaporated when I saw in how sad a state they were and now, I just have zero interest in them. They had one chance to get my money and they released this unfinished turd. Stop releasing unfinished games.

Last edited:

Slaylock

Finished the Vice City main story this evening. Not one crash. Certainly a few weird issues and frame rate hiccups, but overall much more stable than GTA 3 (although I finished most of GTA 3 without the first big patch, so that may account for it).

As with GTA 3, I had a great time with Vice City, and am even more satisfied with my purchase.

Now on to San Andreas! 🌆
Finished the San Andreas main story. Accidentally downloaded the PS4 version instead of PS5 and got too far into it to restart.

Had 3-4 crashes and saw many texture issues, but that may have been due to the PS4 version.

The gang related themes have never resonated with me in the same way as the first two, but the sheer variety of gameplay and the quality of voice work makes it well worth playing.

Playing through the trilogy has been a wonderful walk down memory lane. Despite the occasional glitches, I could not has asked for anything more.

Now I have no idea what I'm going to play. :messenger_anguished:

dotnotbot

comment_16423990679O3gpDoMS4ugE80ajuZqhc.jpg

I don't know in what state these games are at the moment but I can say that I was really hyped when the first trailer was released, and that hype just about evaporated when I saw in how sad a state they were and now, I just have zero interest in them. They had one chance to get my money and they released this unfinished turd. Stop releasing unfinished games.
my hype died as soon as i tried San Andreas...and the game was dark as hell and the aiming was somehow worse than the PS2 game

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Only an empty box with a dlc.

Great
I really don't get it when publishers do this. People who want physical media hate it and people who want digital media don't care for a box. Just sell the DLC on a piece of plastic/paper if you want a physical download code, like this:
xbox_card.jpg

Safes plastic too

kiphalfton

Was just going to check and see how this turd has been faring, if it's gotten any better. Don't have much faith, but would like to eventually try it out.

Was just going to check and see how this turd has been faring, if it's gotten any better. Don't have much faith, but would like to eventually try it out.
Wait for a few more patches and a price drop.

You have to buy the digital edition because you can't Upgrade the physical versions.

M Moses you should also watch the other two Videos. Great comparisons.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wanted to buy a used PS4 copy. In this case those f****** wouldn't get a dime. But there is no upgrade option and your stuck with the old gen versions.
I played San Andreas on Gamepass after the latest patch and it was ok. But it still looks wrong. It didn't feel as gritty as the original, like the soul was gone. But I didn't have any major technical issues. I'd pay 20 bucks for all 3 but I have the digital PS2 versions on PS4 so I can wait.

Ryuji Goda

Finished Gta 3 (PS4). And really enjoyed it. A lot has to do with nostalgia but I really like the look of this version of the game. Some characters, like Asuka, look weird though.

After 3 I started with VC and it’s the same as 3 so far; still fun to play and it looks really nice.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm still waiting until their next set of patch notes is short. In no rush to replay 20 year old games while they still aren't finished.

Kupfer

Why is he walking like a queen?
Because it is relatively easy to create impressive landscapes. Animations, however, less so, see the cut between standing in front of the car and driving off, not to mention real game mechanics. That's why it will never come to a real game and always remain with such trailers.

Last edited:

Metnut

Sorry for the driveby but I have a few verrry long flights coming up next month and was thinking about getting for the Switch. Can anyone give me an idea of how this runs now on the Switch after all of the patches?

Amory

One thing I cannot believe still exists in GTA3 is the purple nines glitch. Basically if you complete the red jacks phone missions in shoreside vale, the rival gang (the purple nines) disappear and will not respawn even if you start a new game. So that makes the red jacks missions impossible to complete in your new game. Apparently if you delete all of your other saves and re-start, then it should reset the glitch.

I forgot about this glitch (and even if I remembered, I would've assumed it was finally fixed) got probably 12 hours into a 100% run to try to get the platinum and realized it will be impossible. Pretty inexcusable. This is a well known issue (and has been for 20 years) and they couldn't be bothered to fix it for the "definitive" edition of the game.

Deerock71

One thing I cannot believe still exists in GTA3 is the purple nines glitch. Basically if you complete the red jacks phone missions in shoreside vale, the rival gang (the purple nines) disappear and will not respawn even if you start a new game. So that makes the red jacks missions impossible to complete in your new game. Apparently if you delete all of your other saves and re-start, then it should reset the glitch.

I forgot about this glitch (and even if I remembered, I would've assumed it was finally fixed) got probably 12 hours into a 100% run to try to get the platinum and realized it will be impossible. Pretty inexcusable. This is a well known issue (and has been for 20 years) and they couldn't be bothered to fix it for the "definitive" edition of the game.
Well, they wanted to keep it real.

I know this glitch very well and It was pissing me off when I played GTA III back then on ps2.

This was one rampage you couldn't finish because the gang members wouldn't spawn.

GSG is a pure garbage dev team.

Last edited:

Amory

I know this glitch very well and It was pissing me off when I played GTA III back then on ps2.

This was one rampage you couldn't finish because the gang members wouldn't spawn.

GSG is a pure garbage dev team.
It’s such a dumb mechanic anyway, even if it worked. You fight basically every gang at one point or another in the game, and none of the other gangs completely disappear forever.

People have been tweeting at Rockstar support and GSG consistently since launch asking for them to patch this specific issue and they just ignore it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Question, can you actually upgrade the PS4 physical version to the PS5 version now an actual PS5 version is available?
been playing the PS5 version of Vice City from Plus and it's a big improvement over the PS4 version that was available before.

Last edited:
Question, can you actually upgrade the PS4 physical version to the PS5 version now an actual PS5 version is available?
been playing the PS5 version of Vice City from Plus and it's a big improvement over the PS4 version that was available before.
There Is no way as far as I know to upgrade.

The only way to play the native PS5 versions is by buying it directly from the Playstation Store.

Had to renew my Playstation plus in order to play Modern Warfare II online.

Will check out GTA Vice City in a few minutes.

Have to keep in mind that my favorite songs are missing.

Definitive my ass.

Top Bottom