• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

J3nga

Nope, just stuck with the £54.99 Xbox digital edition..

..That gave me zero option to refund. Thanks MS :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But in all fairness, it's insured i'll never pre order again. Lessons were learnt.
I can see why someone would pre-order physical copy close to release preferably after reviews have dropped but what is the point pre-ordering digital?

Last edited:
So will there be an update for the physical PS4 version?? Or was this done on purpose that the only way to play the native PS5 version is by downloading It from the store??

This makes no fucking sense. Especially because there is no physical PS5 version.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

I was all in on the hype and was going to buy day one digital but I have a no pre-order policy. Looks like I’ll be waiting for a couple of more patches since I‘ve waited this long now. Anybody think this thing will be good to go by next Summer?

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I was all in on the hype and was going to buy day one digital but I have a no pre-order policy. Looks like I’ll be waiting for a couple of more patches since I‘ve waited this long now. Anybody think this thing will be good to go by next Summer?
To call it good, they would have to do a heavy overhaul to get rid of shiny/plastic look + rework character models and I don't think they're going to bother.

Under the hood there's still old physics and logic engines running so getting rid of bugs is also complicated. They're fixing the most glaring issues but there's just too much of small ones all over the place.

I don't think half a year is enough to fix everything even if they wanted.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

That's redundant as the maps have been incorporated into the game. Same thing with the manual. Seems like people are almost looking for things to rag on due to the rocky launch lol. (pun intended).
No, up until now physical releases of R* games always had a map, even the newest games which also have an interactive map in menu.

Btw, if anyone wants them in high quality:

Last edited:
No, up until now physical releases of R* games always had a map, even the newest games which also have an interactive map in menu.
True, but with the integrated map and GPS navigation, do we need to be messing around with a funky ass physical map? People have their right to want it but there's more important things that need addressing.

dotnotbot

True, but with the integrated map and GPS navigation, do we need to be messing around with a funky ass physical map? People have their right to want it but there's more important things that need addressing.
We don't, but that was a nice touch. And of course other things are more important, this is just a rotten cherry on top of pile of steaming shit.

dotnotbot

So will there be an update for the physical PS4 version?? Or was this done on purpose that the only way to play the native PS5 version is by downloading It from the store??

This makes no fucking sense. Especially because there is no physical PS5 version.
I thought it might be an oversight but apparently it isn't. Digital gives you both, while physical is a slap in the face.

guodQ4Z.jpg

leo-j

So I just downloaded GTA 3 through ps now. And it is clearly the PS4 / maybe ps4 pro version. It plays well, but it’s kind of blurry. But it’s visually upgraded. It def looks better than the Android and other GTA remasters that were out before this. I also assume the updates have made the gameplay better so far it’s been pretty good. I’m kinda disappointed it’s not the ps5 version tho, but I’ll prob get the trilogy with a discount in the future.

Slaylock

Finished the GTA 3 main story last night. Had maybe 6 crashes and a little other weirdness, but nothing game breaking. It certainly could have been more polished, but I had a great time with it and am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Now onto Vice City! 🌴
Finished the Vice City main story this evening. Not one crash. Certainly a few weird issues and frame rate hiccups, but overall much more stable than GTA 3 (although I finished most of GTA 3 without the first big patch, so that may account for it).

As with GTA 3, I had a great time with Vice City, and am even more satisfied with my purchase.

Now on to San Andreas! 🌆

Game is currently 20% off. Still not buying tbh.

Maybe they will overthink their shitty strategy that you will be able to upgrade your physical PS4 version.

But what I'm talking about this is Rockstar afterall.🤣😂🤮

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
Game is currently 20% off. Still not buying tbh.

Maybe they will overthink their shitty strategy that you will be able to upgrade your physical PS4 version.

But what I'm talking about this is Rockstar afterall.🤣😂🤮
I remember during the PS2 generation when Rockstar was the rebellious, cool gaming company. Now they've become "the man" and are now even worse than the big corporate companies people hated back then (such as EA).

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I really wanted to buy this but it’s turned out to be steaming pile of shit and will likely stay this way.

Here’s hoping RDR1 gets the attention it deserves.

Last edited:

nordique

Are these still crap on Switch or have they fixed them enough to be worth to buy?

Depends on your definition of fixed them enough. For me they are fixed enough for some on the go GTA here and there, but ymmv

Vice city and San Andreas thankfully are thE better running ones

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jesus what a disgrace. No physical PS5 version and If you buy the physical PS4 version no upgrade option.
You like the new R*?

Tried telling people. RDR2 will be the last of the old ways at R*. I still play it almost daily, over 1600 hours into it, and they're even ignoring the online portion for anything robust (didn't even get a Holiday Pass this year) for it. I guess over 40 million in sales isn't good enough. You need over 100 like GTAV.

Such a damned shame. They only have themselves to blame as well for being too cheap to add dedicated servers, so people mod, hack, and find solo lobby workarounds. But in the end, the gamer suffers.

Last edited:
These games are not as great as I remember, well, III and San Andreas. I appreciate they were great for the time and I really enjoyed them then but now?

Putting the half hearted release aside, III has some very tedious repetitive missions and San Andreas feels long winded and a real chore to get to other areas. Vice City is far from faultless too however I think it’s the best out of the three in terms of characters, map and atmosphere (being a 80s kid I suppose there is a little bias there).

In terms of this “Definitive edition” As others have said it’s the mod community that is putting the devs to shame and this shouldn’t be happening. For all the advances in technology we should of gotten better than this and it says a lot that I was slightly surprised mainstream media reviews called Rockstar out .

I don’t know if any further updates are planned for these games but I’d shocked if there was anything substantial like better character animations, weapon handling/aiming/AI and stuff like that.

This could of been special and handled with time and care but no.

Top Bottom