• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Passes Five Million Players.

Skyn3t

Banned
Gran Turismo franchise sold like 60+ mln copies worldwide, so we can assume Sony isn't to harsh on Polyphony.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gran Turismo franchise sold like 60+ mln copies worldwide, so we can assume Sony isn't to harsh on Polyphony.

I for the life of me will NEVER understand why they got rid of the company that made DriveClub. Sure they screwed up the roll out of that game, but that game was more fun than GT Sport. And It would have been great if Sony had 2 companies making racing games at the sametime.

I still till this day strongly believe that Kaz leaned in on Sony to push CodeMasters or whatever that dev was out of the picture because he was threatened that they'd eventually make better races games than he would.

Skyn3t

Banned
I agree, DriveClub is still a lot of fun and to this day looks really good. The deserves PS4 Pro patch more than any other. It's a shame its not gonna happen.

Makariel

I for the life of me will NEVER understand why they got rid of the company that made DriveClub. Sure they screwed up the roll out of that game, [...]
That's your answer right there. They needed to deliver out of the box but they botched the start. Yes the game got better with patches and DLC, but the damage was already done. The user score on metacritic is still pretty terrible. It also sold worse than GT6 or GT Sport from what I've read, so that surely didn't help.

Mattyp

Gold Member

That luck has to run out eventually, the cost of keeping Poly open compared to sales of the last 2 releases...? And we wait another 5 years for the next? There's a reason fans are falling out of love with this game and the competition has leaped ahead. What happens to every remaining race fan out there when we lose GT completely? That thought logic is probably the only thing still keeping them open as it is.

You really can't spin this into something positive. There's 75 million PS4 consoles, three times as many Xbox One. Gran Turismo is a PS4 exclusive, and being beaten with over double as many sales as Forza Horizon 3, that is available on three times less playerbase.

Gran Turismo SHOULD have sold better, but it didn't. And we all know why. The game is mainly online, which scares of most of the fans since PS4 gaming in majority is about SP gaming.
I'm not spinning anything. If you actually read my comments closely, I never gave my opinions on whether GTS is doing well or not. I simply made two arguments against the notion that bigger userbase automatically means better sales, both of which you have not disputed.

I for the life of me will NEVER understand why they got rid of the company that made DriveClub. Sure they screwed up the roll out of that game, but that game was more fun than GT Sport. And It would have been great if Sony had 2 companies making racing games at the sametime.

Evolution Studios kept losing money. As great of a comeback Driveclub made to hit 2 million sales, it wasn't enough to persuade Sony to keep the studio running.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

That's your answer right there. They needed to deliver out of the box but they botched the start. Yes the game got better with patches and DLC, but the damage was already done. The user score on metacritic is still pretty terrible. It also sold worse than GT6 or GT Sport from what I've read, so that surely didn't help.

So there wasn't any forsight into what Evolution Studios could do going forward given that it was the beginning of a generation? Like Sony couldn't try to assume that they learned some lessons and that giving it one more shot would make sense? I think DriveClub could have been Sony's Forza Horizon type series and yet Sony punked out and bailed early.

Evolution Studios kept losing money. As great of a comeback Driveclub made to hit 2 million sales, it wasn't enough to persuade Sony to keep the studio running.

And yet we have to know for a fact that PD is losing money on Gran Turismo right now at the point right? Like nobody here believes that the "maybe" 3 million sales of this game is a profit driver anymore do they? I"m pretty sure GT cost more money than DriveClub probably cost at this point.

And yet we have to know for a fact that PD is losing money on Gran Turismo right now at the point right? Like nobody here believes that the "maybe" 3 million sales of this game is a profit driver anymore do they? I"m pretty sure GT cost more money than DriveClub probably cost at this point.
We don't know for a fact if PD is profiting or losing money from GTS. All we know is that online player count has continued to rise.

scydrex

Compared to other GT titles it is flop. GT6 already was a flop and this seems to be another one which is not suprising really if you followed GTsport. It is amazing racing game and one of only two games that can be called like that but it is targeted to very niche audience, all of the stuff normal people care about is just bare as fuck.

GT3 had more cars than GTS. Around 150. GTS seems like it has a lot of cars but in fact most of unique cars come with 3-4 versions of same car for different league which means that if you want to count unique cars you are looking at probably maybe 50 cars of less.
Polyphone can't be excused anymore. Forza 7 after releasing 3 games in time of one GTS have now 700+ cars and if you include DLC around and you can't even make argument that GTS cars are better looking as difference is minimal.

Honestly speaking as fan of series i think that most fault lies in Yamauchi. He apears to focus more on his personal experiences in motorsport that creating game. Sure GTS online is amazing and you have to give him credit for actually making first console racing game. Still it should be feature of full release GT not online only game onto itself.

Yeah, Polyphony do not have any excuse for this game. Does anyone knows how many people work for Poly? Once i saw a video and the studio is small. I think they do not want to employ more people. GT6 i played it for 1 month... after GT5 that i played every day until GT6 came out after that GTS. The series is going downhill.

thelastword

Banned
Gran Turismo franchise has sold over 80.4 million copies as of May 2018.......

I still till this day strongly believe that Kaz leaned in on Sony to push CodeMasters or whatever that dev was out of the picture because he was threatened that they'd eventually make better races games than he would.
I agree, and I've expressed that sentiment so many times before, but it seems EVO just can't launch a title that sells well on debut these days.....Motorstorm Apocalypse was delayed and due to an earthquake in Japan, it launched to subpar numbers, DC launched with some servers load issues and people complained of the lack of content, weather did not make it in at launch.....Then disingenuos persons made a whole shitstorm of the PS plus version etc..Notwithstanding, EVO games are not for those persons who want the game to basically play itself with racing lines, rewind et al...

Now here we are with Onrush, and here again, that game is not making any charts, it's dead in the water. I still believe Sony should have held unto them tbh, but EVO have been having issues with their launches, they also had some old school management heads who were not pulling their weight, Sony got rid of the lot and left rushy in charge, but DC still was not released as smoothly as sony would have wanted, even with some delays to the title......Had it been me, I would have kept EVO because we need a DC calibre racer on playstation, and I would have injected a new studio head/director to manage that studio properly or allow Rushy to perhaps prove his mettle with DC2, but Onrush's reception is not a good sign towards the latter in any case....It's a tough place to be tbh...

That luck has to run out eventually, the cost of keeping Poly open compared to sales of the last 2 releases...? And we wait another 5 years for the next? There's a reason fans are falling out of love with this game and the competition has leaped ahead. What happens to every remaining race fan out there when we lose GT completely? That thought logic is probably the only thing still keeping them open as it is.
I heard Vincentian Kush is pretty good......I mean, you have to be flying as high as a kite to believe that Sony would get rid of an 80.4 million franchise, because an offshoot GT was good enough to pull in 5.5 million players after 9 months....Wow, such a studio should be shuttered? If these numbers are bad, this means Forza studio and Horizon Studio should be shuttered ages ago...

Regardless, lets get some perspective on this whole thing...

GT5+GT6 online were the most popular online racing games last gen, then the FIA championships came and pulled the whole community together, to leaderboards, posting best times and really engaging with each other on a grand scale, something I had not seen for a cool minute, even the guys at GAF were continuously posting their best times on here, racing each other online and the like. In essence, due to that success and pull, Kaz thought he would try to push that apsect of GT into a title, but wanted to take it to a next level and encourage proper racing and etiquette amongst players, of course, if this was ever something that could be expanded as an esport title, where people would see it as an avenue to get better and race for cash or an opportunity to race on a grand stage, he felt he had to have some training tools in the game to promote and teach people how to race properly, best lines, some tuning capabilities, liveries etc...so persons could personalize. That's what GTS is, it's not GT7. Still, since they have knocked the online aspect out of the park, I can see a revamped GT campaign for GT7 and the multiplayer mode being sport mode for PS5, the ground work has been laid and it's the best MP in a racer this gen, by far..

It was also quite clear what GTS would be, Kaz said it a million times, hey "GTSPORT is an online game my friends, we're collaborating with FIA for events et al and we'll try to teach you how to race properly, so perhaps people will want to spectate this thing online innit"...... then GTSPORT launches...... and what do you know, game journalists and other detractors want to blow a gasket because they expect a campaign like in GT1-GT6, even if this is not GT7.....

Now that GTS was taken to the slavers in reviews, people expected it to fail, but here it is at 5.5 million players after 9 months with FIA championship Season 1 just ending on June the 30th....

Some coverage....

In any case, nobody has abandoned GT, some persons were just offline players and are waiting on GT7, but Kaz still gave them some good SP content to appease them till then...and will continue to drive more content till 2020, so they're good. As for the success of GTS, if PD is trying to expand GT even more than what it is, to the esport/world championship phase, this GTS platform will pay off big time for them in the future and it's not like this game is lacking players or interest as it is. If there is one game that is always packed online it's GTS, no crossplay required....

So to give you some more perspective.....The Forza team is much bigger than the GT team, everything GT is done at PD, about 150 devs, there is no outsourcing to push yearly forza's or one every two years. Outsourcing costs money, a bigger team costs more money, publishing on more than one platform costs money....Do you think Forza Sim sales is enough to cover costs and keep them pretty? Why are they riddled in microstransactions and DLC then?..... Forza Sim has never been a great seller like GT and with all the outsourcing and frequency of releases, they would definitely spend much more to keep that going.....Whilst GT has always been an evergreen title.....So to say PD is bleeding, is so far from left field. There's a reason they keep everything in house and there's a reason they can keep on giving all this free content after release......

I also saw that some folk believe we won't get a sales update on GTS, but Sony/PD have not abandoned sales, maybe they're waiting for the end of the year (at PSX) or perhaps if they launch a spec update to GTS before the holidays, they can make an announcement.....It's not like they've given nothing though....

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/gran-turismo-tops-80-million-sales-across-20-years

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Gran_Turismo

So if GTS was 3.4 million in May. With the E3 sale and the recent one where GT made several top ten charts, I expect that figure to be much higher, perhaps inline with those online numbers, but we shall wait on the official update on the charts by PD in a few months...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So if GTS was 3.4 million in May. With the E3 sale and the recent one where GT made several top ten charts, I expect that figure to be much higher, perhaps inline with those online numbers, but we shall wait on the official update on the charts by PD in a few months...

There's no way that game sold more than 4 million copies by now. I just wish PD would get pushed more by Sony to just be better! There's no competition to naturally make them feel like they need to be better either. I get the feeling that all the other devs Sony has push each other either directly or indirectly to be the best version of themselves.

Whereas PD just sits there and does what they want, when they want.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You really can't spin this into something positive. There's 75 million PS4 consoles, three times as many Xbox One. Gran Turismo is a PS4 exclusive, and being beaten with over double as many sales as Forza Horizon 3, that is available on three times less playerbase.

Gran Turismo SHOULD have sold better, but it didn't. And we all know why. The game is mainly online, which scares of most of the fans since PS4 gaming in majority is about SP gaming.

Where are the sales figures? Horizon 3 sold 2.5 million in 3-4 months on Windows 10 and Xbox One, which is likely well over 75 million users/gamers total.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
GT5 sold nearly 12 million copies lifetime
GT6 sold over 5 million copies after 4 years.
Forza Horizon 3 had over 9 million players in less than 2 years.

Those Forza figures probably includes demo players too. Shouldn't compare actual sales figures to how many players have played the game.

thelastword

Banned
Where are the sales figures? Horizon 3 sold 2.5 million in 3-4 months on Windows 10 and Xbox One, which is likely well over 75 million users/gamers total.
Which is the last we heard, and not forgetting that there was a mixup on Target where many got the game for $19.99 pretty early on......just a few days after release too...

Those Forza figures probably includes demo players too. Shouldn't compare actual sales figures to how many players have played the game.
With the way player numbers are being sprung on the back of two platforms, you never know.

On the flip, GT had several betas, but Kaz did tweet a number within the first few hours of the open beta. So the figures here, have nothing to do with that....

Which is the last we heard, and not forgetting that there was a mixup on Target where many got the game for $19.99 pretty early on......just a few days after release too...

With the way player numbers are being sprung on the back of two platforms, you never know.

On the flip, GT had several betas, but Kaz did tweet a number within the first few hours of the open beta. So the figures here, have nothing to do with that....
Extremely weak excuse...

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It's more of a guess how well GT Sport did in comparison to Horizon 3 in 2017 and 2018 in Europe and in the US. If GT Sport is charting above Horizon 3 across Europe and the US, then I would assume the sales figures of GT Sport have been better than Horizon 3 since 2017, which could be around 4 million copies sold. The only way I can see the figures getting that high based would be players who have played the demo, used multiple accounts, etc.

This is why I don't like when companies state how many players played the game because many people believe the sales figures are close to being that high.

thelastword

Banned
It's more of a guess how well GT Sport did in comparison to Horizon 3 in 2017 and 2018 in Europe and in the US. If GT Sport is charting above Horizon 3 across Europe and the US, then I would assume the sales figures of GT Sport have been better than Horizon 3 since 2017, which could be around 4 million copies sold. The only way I can see the figures getting that high based would be players who have played the demo, used multiple accounts, etc.

This is why I don't like when companies state how many players played the game because many people believe the sales figures are close to being that high.
Yeah no doubt, GTS just charted again recently across Europe the last few weeks and it's not like Horizon has not been on sale recently too. Beyond Europe, Gran Turismo just made the PSN list for June and I'm sure it will make it for July, as digital sales are on the rise by and large and it will get a boost from the last sale. I personally don't buy discs anymore, I bought GTS day one at $60.00, but there have been some nice deals for persons since then....

Yet, if a game always makes the charts and we got some extrapolated figures from May of 3.4 million for GTS, that's much better to work with, because we know that GTS has exceeded that through what we're seeing on the gaming charts worldwide.....In America and in Europe GTS continues to chart....

Beyond that though, I still don't know why we are comparing GTS to Horizon, what are the Forza 7 figures......???? or any morsel whatsoever...At least GTS has some drippings of sales figures out there.....extrapolated from total GT franchise sales...

Last edited:

Tarkus98

There's no way that game sold more than 4 million copies by now. I just wish PD would get pushed more by Sony to just be better! There's no competition to naturally make them feel like they need to be better either. I get the feeling that all the other devs Sony has push each other either directly or indirectly to be the best version of themselves.

Whereas PD just sits there and does what they want, when they want.
Have to agree here, it’s just so annoying. The team has so much talent and I understand they wanted to try something new, hey great but somewhere someone has to light a fire under their asses and wake them up to the sounds of their fans that they have been neglecting since gt4. Either expand the team so they can turn around the games faster or bring on another studio like Evo and make a more arcade style racer or at least a racer with a solid single player campaign.
I don’t want to see Poly go down in flames, I just want them to recapture some of their old glory. And this doesn’t mean the same old same old it means keep expanding on what you did best. Ugh.

Dontero

Banned
As someone said in some post i will never understand why Evolution studio was sacked. They should be joined with Polyphony as western branch of Polyphony instead of sacking it. IT is clear that polyphony lacks manpower and Forza/Forza Horizon assets sharing works REALLY well, new blood would also move around people in Polyphony to get better.

Part of me wonders if this was just Kaz taking out competition as his product is failing to effectively force people to buy GTS as only sony racing game.

down 2 orth

I didn't notice any smooth jazz in the demo. But I did notice some Tagheur fun facts, and I thought fuck this stupid shit I'm out.

mckmas8808

Part of me wonders if this was just Kaz taking out competition as his product is failing to effectively force people to buy GTS as only sony racing game.

It's the only thing that makes sense when you consider how Sony has been handling their other 1st and 2nd party games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I loved GT Sport and consider it the best online racer available on consoles. Forza 5/6/7 have been getting progressively worse than the last gen counterparts, the Horizon series (while I love them), is more focused on arcade racing, and Asseto/Project cars just feel *bad* to play. I keep hearing how Drive Club has improved drastically since launch, but that launch was just so bad it burned me on ever wanting to play that game again.

I was on the fence about picking this game up even as someone who started with the original GT back on the PSone, so I waited for a sale and grabbed it at $29.99 CAD. I've actually had alot of fun with this game, for me personally its missing a few key muscle cars but I'm enjoying the Toyota lineup (Supra 86' Supra Concept) server being offline only was a thing once for me.

I haven't tried it in VR yet but I will shortly, I only wish my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel from the PS3 days would work with this game. That for me at my interest level/ budget/ space within my apartment this is the only wheel I want to use.

Last edited:

Three

As someone said in some post i will never understand why Evolution studio was sacked. They should be joined with Polyphony as western branch of Polyphony instead of sacking it. IT is clear that polyphony lacks manpower and Forza/Forza Horizon assets sharing works REALLY well, new blood would also move around people in Polyphony to get better.

Forza and Forza Horizon get their assets from a third party. The same one that supplied Evolution Studios for Driveclub. Polyphony is actually huge in terms of staff compared to Turn 10 and playground games but they do things internally.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

I loved GT Sport and consider it the best online racer available on consoles. Forza 5/6/7 have been getting progressively worse than the last gen counterparts, the Horizon series (while I love them), is more focused on arcade racing, and Asseto/Project cars just feel *bad* to play. I keep hearing how Drive Club has improved drastically since launch, but that launch was just so bad it burned me on ever wanting to play that game again.
If you still have the game and haven’t tried it since launch day you really owe it to yourself to pop that sucker in and try it fresh / all over again. It’s a fantastic game and the inclusion of motorcycles and all of the new tracks is well worth your time to give it another chance.
Update us and let us know what you think 🤔

mckmas8808

Forza and Forza Horizon get their assets from a third party. The same one that supplied Evolution Studios for Driveclub. Polyphony is actually huge in terms of staff compared to Turn 10 and playground games but they do things internally.

I never knew this. Maybe everyone else at this point is doing it the right way. Maybe it's best to not do everything internally.

woigemok

Banned
Why didn't Sony and Microsoft reveal the exact number of sold copies like Nintendo with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe = 9.22 Million copies sold

GT Sport = 5 Million players = Sold ??

Forza = 9 Million players = Sold ??

Three

Why didn't Sony and Microsoft reveal the exact number of sold copies like Nintendo with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe = 9.22 Million copies sold

GT Sport = 5 Million players = Sold ??

Forza = 9 Million players = Sold ??
PD usually provide sales numbers on their site for the public. That may or may not continue to happen but I assume it will . Forza has never provided official sales numbers at least not individually because it tends to do the worst sales wise. Mariokart is always and will always be the sales king on individual releases. The attach rate on that game is crazy.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
PD usually provide sales numbers on their site for the public. That may or may not continue to happen but I assume it will . Forza has never provided official sales numbers at least not individually because it tends to do the worst sales wise. Mariokart is always and will always be the sales king on individual releases. The attach rate on that game is crazy.

They do it only when they sell enough coppies because probably they don't want to post emberasment. Which is why they updated their GT5 sales in no time after release and we had to wait about 3 years to see 6mln number for the first time on their site.

Klik

I still can't believe how amazing replay looks in this game. It's so realistic. Now imagine replay on PS5 with 6x-7x more terfalops😁

Three

They do it only when they sell enough coppies because probably they don't want to post emberasment. Which is why they updated their GT5 sales in no time after release and we had to wait about 3 years to see 6mln number for the first time on their site.

But we got GT6 numbers in the end even though it was lower. They will have sales figures for Sport later I think which is better than posting nothing at all.

Raven117

Just put a 30 hours to GT Sport and have to say that game grows on you with every passing 60 minutes. But still, from the third installment Forza Motorsport is the king in the genre.
This. The more you start to understand exactly what it is trying to do, the more you love it.

I'm just gonna go ahead and ask if it's okay to jump into this game? Rather is it too late?
I'd say it's okay at any time. If you're not much of an online player then yes - there's nothing time sensitive about single player and the game actually has a fair bit of single player content now.

If you're an online player, then I'd still say yes, since for now it's the most recent GT game and has a heavier focus on online.

I have played alot of GT Sport in PSVR and with my wheel after picking up the collective minds drivehub and that is pretty much as good as it gets for this game. I've come to really love driving an F1 car around the Nurburgring, in VR with a steering wheel, it actually feels intense. My hope would be they expand the VR section to include more cars vs a one on one and more tracks are always welcome too. Great game and well worth the $30 CAD I paid for it.

Vtecomega

Banned
How is Sport in comparison to 5 and 6? I honestly thought those 2 games were absolute trash in comparison to what Forza has been doing.

It has zero performance modifications. No more intake and turbo upgrades. The tire model is still absolutely rubbish. Cars still have no real torque curve and driving feels sterile.

The online aspect is great though, online rammers are usually pretty rare and its probably the only console game that encourages clean racing

Forza 7 surprisingly destroys GT sport in terms of physics, tire model and car behavior. Its so far ahead in terms of physics that I am absolutely flabbergasted that it hasn't gained more attention. The general consensus is GT sport has better physics but in reality its the furthest thing from the truth.

Forza 7 car sounds are horrid though.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It has zero performance modifications. No more intake and turbo upgrades. The tire model is still absolutely rubbish. Cars still have no real torque curve and driving feels sterile.

The online aspect is great though, online rammers are usually pretty rare and its probably the only console game that encourages clean racing

Forza 7 surprisingly destroys GT sport in terms of physics, tire model and car behavior. Its so far ahead in terms of physics that I am absolutely flabbergasted that it hasn't gained more attention. The general consensus is GT sport has better physics but in reality its the furthest thing from the truth.

Forza 7 car sounds are horrid though.

Listen, I like Forza as much as the next guy - but GT Sport has the better driving model. It always has. Also performance modifications != better driving model. I would have liked to see those return, but they are not the end all-be all for racing games. The core racing is what is important and that is what GT Sport does better than its competitors.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have played alot of GT Sport in PSVR and with my wheel after picking up the collective minds drivehub and that is pretty much as good as it gets for this game. I've come to really love driving an F1 car around the Nurburgring, in VR with a steering wheel, it actually feels intense. My hope would be they expand the VR section to include more cars vs a one on one and more tracks are always welcome too. Great game and well worth the $30 CAD I paid for it.

what wheel do you have?

Top Bottom