• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
A couple of noob questions now that I finished the game.
To add to what Aenima Aenima said i would also suggest you have a look for the online time trials in sports mode. The gold requirements are challenging but with a few laps you can easily get silver which is worth 1 million credits. There are about two time trials a month and the current one will expire on wednesday.

Otherwise i would second the recommendation for the endurance missions "The Human Comedy". Pretty much the best content the game has to offer in my eyes.

As for grinding credits. In addition to the Le Mans race and the one hour endurance race in Spa there is also one for the Tokyo Expressway that pays equal to the Le Mans race but is more challenging and one in Sardegna wich pays a bit below 800k but is 5 min faster than the one in Le Mans. Its my go to race.

Chittagong

Gold Member
To add to what Aenima Aenima said i would also suggest you have a look for the online time trials in sports mode. The gold requirements are challenging but with a few laps you can easily get silver which is worth 1 million credits. There are about two time trials a month and the current one will expire on wednesday.

Otherwise i would second the recommendation for the endurance missions "The Human Comedy". Pretty much the best content the game has to offer in my eyes.

As for grinding credits. In addition to the Le Mans race and the one hour endurance race in Spa there is also one for the Tokyo Expressway that pays equal to the Le Mans race but is more challenging and one in Sardegna wich pays a bit below 800k but is 5 min faster than the one in Le Mans. Its my go to race.

Awesowe. I fired up an iPhone note with both posts!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Doing the endgame stuff, I have been trying to think how to best improve my core driving skill now. Whether it’s the licence tests, missions, or simply driving a certain track over and over again.

Certainly seeing the demonstrations in the licence tests and watching the gas and brake indicators has been helpful.

I guess what I am asking is whether there is a skill beyond learning a track, that would mitigate the need to memorise something as insanely long as Nurnburgring

*Nightwing

Doing the endgame stuff, I have been trying to think how to best improve my core driving skill now. Whether it’s the licence tests, missions, or simply driving a certain track over and over again.

Certainly seeing the demonstrations in the licence tests and watching the gas and brake indicators has been helpful.

I found Tidgney on YouTube had a instructional set of vids for sport that really helped me:

I guess what I am asking is whether there is a skill beyond learning a track, that would mitigate the need to memorise something as insanely long as Nurnburgring

Short awnser is no. The aliens out there that compete just memorize the tracks and their braking/shifting points same as real race drivers do. If you want to be as good have to put in the work and not only memorize each track, it’s turns, racing lines with different speed cars and apply general racing principles to execute.

Con-Z-epT

Using a wheel, shifting to manual transmission, reducing assists as much as possible and learning how to properly break and drive go a long way to perfecting your skills.

Set the A.I. speed to the fastest and see if it is still ok. Have you finished "The Human Comedy"? The A.I. is quite aggressive in some of those missions. Much more than in any events.

I'm surely not a bad driver but when i look at the best racers in GT i'm still baffled by how much head room i have to improve.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I found Tidgney on YouTube had a instructional set of vids for sport that really helped me:

Short awnser is no. The aliens out there that compete just memorize the tracks and their braking/shifting points same as real race drivers do. If you want to be as good have to put in the work and not only memorize each track, it’s turns, racing lines with different speed cars and apply general racing principles to execute.

Using a wheel, shifting to manual transmission, reducing assists as much as possible and learning how to properly break and drive go a long way to perfecting your skills.

Set the A.I. speed to the fastest and see if it is still ok. Have you finished "The Human Comedy"? The A.I. is quite aggressive in some of those missions. Much more than in any events.

I'm surely not a bad driver but when i look at the best racers in GT i'm still baffled by how much head room i have to improve.

much appreciated. I am nowhere good enough to take on Human Comedy yet. In the final core menu book I couldn’t finish better than 10+ on Nurnburgring, although I could do 1 on others. Also I drive automatic :D

Con-Z-epT

This is the fourth online time trial and the fourth time that the gold requirement was lowered one day after it went live.

I banged my head against the wall yesterday and was missing 00:00:030sec just to come back today and see that a faster time is needed for gold.

Frustrated Head GIF

Con-Z-epT

I would like to see some more endurance races.
Yeah, this is where the game really shines with day/night shifts and weather changes. It's also why the main appeal for the game lies in custom single and online races. At least for me.

Now that you can safe you settings for custom lobbies i fiddle around until i love the settings for a nice singleplayer event and then i take it online with the same adjustments.

The hardest part is to find people that are willing to spend 60-90 min for a race. But when it happens it's magical.

Markio128

Which one exactly?

I usually use the cars that come with the update itself.
It’s the neo-classical challenge and the hyper car races. I’m always around 40 seconds off the 1st place by the end of the race. I use Pikes Peak for the classical challenge and, well, I can’t recall the name of the hyper car I use. It seems like the cars that win are the super expensive ones. Maybe I need to do some saving up 😂

Con-Z-epT

It’s the neo-classical challenge and the hyper car races. I’m always around 40 seconds off the 1st place by the end of the race. I use Pikes Peak for the classical challenge and, well, I can’t recall the name of the hyper car I use. It seems like the cars that win are the super expensive ones. Maybe I need to do some saving up 😂
For the Neo-Classical i used the AMG Mercedes CLK-LM '98. I love that car. However any Gr. 2 car should be good. It's just not an easy set of races and you should keep you pace quite consistent.

For the hypercar races i used the new Porsche 918 Spyder. If you struggle here you can tune up the car quite aggressively and make a joke out of these races. The hardest part is to get the handling down for those cars. I also did it with other cars but i liked the Spyder the most.

Markio128

For the Neo-Classical i used the AMG Mercedes CLK-LM '98. I love that car. However any Gr. 2 car should be good. It's just not an easy set of races and you should keep you pace quite consistent.

For the hypercar races i used the new Porsche 918 Spyder. If you struggle here you can tune up the car quite aggressively and make a joke out of these races. The hardest part is to get the handling down for those cars. I also did it with other cars but i liked the Spyder the most.
Thanks - not sure if I own those cars, but I’ll have a look later. I’m having fun with the races anyway - finished 3rd on one of them and 4th on some of them, but just can’t seem to get the rest of the badges. Sometimes it’s down to the fuel management, or an unexpected weather change in the last couple of laps. Really enjoyable races though. I wouldn’t say no to a few more of the cups to go for, with multiple races.

Con-Z-epT

Thanks - not sure if I own those cars, but I’ll have a look later. I’m having fun with the races anyway - finished 3rd on one of them and 4th on some of them, but just can’t seem to get the rest of the badges. Sometimes it’s down to the fuel management, or an unexpected weather change in the last couple of laps. Really enjoyable races though. I wouldn’t say no to a few more of the cups to go for, with multiple races.
The Mercedes is under the legendary dealership for about 4 mill but many Gr. 2 cars are quite achievable in Brand Central.

Yeah these events are very cool especially because of the random nature of things. It would definitely be cool to have more cups that have these kind of changes in it. Or longer ones with more races. Or just the possibility to set up your own.

Fingers crossed for the next update.

Markio128

The Mercedes is under the legendary dealership for about 4 mill but many Gr. 2 cars are quite achievable in Brand Central.

Yeah these events are very cool especially because of the random nature of things. It would definitely be cool to have more cups that have these kind of changes in it. Or longer ones with more races. Or just the possibility to set up your own.

Fingers crossed for the next update.
It would be cool if PD were to release a decent sized pre-Xmas update, with new tracks/cars events etc., but they likely won’t announce anything until the same month.

Con-Z-epT

It would be cool if PD were to release a decent sized pre-Xmas update, with new tracks/cars events etc., but they likely won’t announce anything until the same month.
I don't expect to much given past patch releases. A new track is quite possible. There is always something unexpected in the list of changes. We'll see.

Con-Z-epT

Gran Turismo 7’s New Update is Coming Next Week, Adds Pontiac GTO “The Judge” and McLaren MP4/4​

Although we’ve long known that an update to Gran Turismo 7 would be coming soon, Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that it will arrive during this coming week.
Yamauchi has posted his traditional social media “silhouette” teaser, revealing not only that the update will be coming during the week commencing August 22, but the vehicles it will add to the game.
As we’ve seen across Gran Turismo 7’s life so far, the teaser contains three cars, somewhat hinting that this will be the monthly standard for the game pending any future changes.

It’s a fascinating trio of vehicles this month, with a lauded modern sports car, some cool classic muscle, and one of the greatest Formula One cars ever made.

Perhaps the easiest to recognize is the Porsche Cayman GT4 on the left. This is the first generation of the Cayman GT4, based on the second-gen 981, from 2015, and sibling of the Cayman GT4 Clubsport that’s already in Gran Turismo as Porsche’s Gr.4 race car. Both use a 3.8-liter flat-six borrowed from the 991 911.

Facing away from us in the top right is the 1969 Pontiac GTO “The Judge”. Given away by its hood-mounted tachometer, The Judge was a stripped back version of the GTO pitched against the Plymouth Road Runner, with a 6.6-liter “Ram Air 400” engine good for around 370hp.

Finally, in the bottom-right corner, is the McLaren-Honda MP4/4. This was the most successful F1 car ever built, claiming 15 wins out of the 16 World Championship races in the 1988 season, and 15 pole positions — and it didn’t hurt that Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost were the team’s drivers.

The MP4/4 would be the first new Senna-driven race car added to the series since the special Gran Turismo 6 Senna Tribute in 2014. However it remains to be seen if the car will be added with its real name or sit alongside the F1500T-A — an adapted version of the Lotus 97T from GT6 — as a fictional model.

Of course these won’t be the only new cars in the update. A specially liveried version of the De Tomaso Mangusta will also arrive in the game, as part of a collaboration with Dior. The official announcement for that stated that the car and special racing suit would be available on Thursday August 25, rather honing in the date for the game update.

As ever, we don’t know what additional content might be in the update. Thus far the game has only had one entirely new track since launch — Watkins Glen — and a second would put it on a par with the rate at which GT Sport received new tracks in its first few months.

In addition, the Online Season 2 of the Gran Turismo World Series has a couple of gaps in the calendar which usually indicates new cars or circuits, so we wouldn’t be too surprised to see an additional venue in the update. Fans are still crossing everything that can be crossed for the ability to sell surplus cars, first floated by Yamauchi in the rough roadmap posted back in March. We’d also expect an expansion to the single-player offering with new Menu Books and races.

However we’ll likely have to wait and see what the update brings when it lands, which we’re expecting to be around 0800UTC on Thursday August 25.​

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Gran Turismo 7’s New Update is Coming Next Week, Adds Pontiac GTO “The Judge” and McLaren MP4/4​

Although we’ve long known that an update to Gran Turismo 7 would be coming soon, Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that it will arrive during this coming week.
Yamauchi has posted his traditional social media “silhouette” teaser, revealing not only that the update will be coming during the week commencing August 22, but the vehicles it will add to the game.
As we’ve seen across Gran Turismo 7’s life so far, the teaser contains three cars, somewhat hinting that this will be the monthly standard for the game pending any future changes.

It’s a fascinating trio of vehicles this month, with a lauded modern sports car, some cool classic muscle, and one of the greatest Formula One cars ever made.

Perhaps the easiest to recognize is the Porsche Cayman GT4 on the left. This is the first generation of the Cayman GT4, based on the second-gen 981, from 2015, and sibling of the Cayman GT4 Clubsport that’s already in Gran Turismo as Porsche’s Gr.4 race car. Both use a 3.8-liter flat-six borrowed from the 991 911.

Facing away from us in the top right is the 1969 Pontiac GTO “The Judge”. Given away by its hood-mounted tachometer, The Judge was a stripped back version of the GTO pitched against the Plymouth Road Runner, with a 6.6-liter “Ram Air 400” engine good for around 370hp.

Finally, in the bottom-right corner, is the McLaren-Honda MP4/4. This was the most successful F1 car ever built, claiming 15 wins out of the 16 World Championship races in the 1988 season, and 15 pole positions — and it didn’t hurt that Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost were the team’s drivers.

The MP4/4 would be the first new Senna-driven race car added to the series since the special Gran Turismo 6 Senna Tribute in 2014. However it remains to be seen if the car will be added with its real name or sit alongside the F1500T-A — an adapted version of the Lotus 97T from GT6 — as a fictional model.

Of course these won’t be the only new cars in the update. A specially liveried version of the De Tomaso Mangusta will also arrive in the game, as part of a collaboration with Dior. The official announcement for that stated that the car and special racing suit would be available on Thursday August 25, rather honing in the date for the game update.

As ever, we don’t know what additional content might be in the update. Thus far the game has only had one entirely new track since launch — Watkins Glen — and a second would put it on a par with the rate at which GT Sport received new tracks in its first few months.

In addition, the Online Season 2 of the Gran Turismo World Series has a couple of gaps in the calendar which usually indicates new cars or circuits, so we wouldn’t be too surprised to see an additional venue in the update. Fans are still crossing everything that can be crossed for the ability to sell surplus cars, first floated by Yamauchi in the rough roadmap posted back in March. We’d also expect an expansion to the single-player offering with new Menu Books and races.

However we’ll likely have to wait and see what the update brings when it lands, which we’re expecting to be around 0800UTC on Thursday August 25.​
Hell yeah, Cayman GT4 (hope they add the new one soon as well) and '69 GTO!

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Gran Turismo Sophy AI Development Diary #2: Man vs. Machine​

A second video detailing the people behind the development of Gran Turismo’s “Sophy” AI system has been made available, picking up where the first installment left off.

The video is called “Off to the Races”, and digs into those interim stages between Sophy’s solo training and the AI coming into contact with some of the best Gran Turismo players in the world.

Although the personnel working on the project were familiar with the Gran Turismo series in broad terms, their collective experience in playing and racing the game was on the thin side. Handily, there was an expert close by. Timothy Grossenbacher was one of two Swiss drivers (alongside Rolf Ueltschi) to qualify for the 2011 GT Academy regional Franco-Swiss final, and joined the team to give Sophy a highly skilled human to test itself against.

Grossenbacher was not immediately convinced that Sophy could match up to the best human drivers

While not convinced the AI could achieve the goal of racing against and beating the world’s best, Grossenbacher was able to provide input into racecraft and etiquette. Initially Sophy was wayward, changing lines on the straight, but was still fast. With his feedback on board, Sony AI turned to PlayStation’s cloud — normally used to stream content on PlayStation Now and, more recently, PlayStation Plus, but an ideal way to run multiple instances of Sophy on thousands of consoles to speed up training.

Even then, the Sony AI team was warned that the agent’s aggressive nature would be likely to bring out a black flag, just a week before the first test at the “Race Together” challenge in July 2021.

That led to a rewrite of some of the reward functions in order to improve Sophy’s sportsmanship, although that too was an issue; sportsmanship is often something more instinctive than regulated and it’s difficult to get an AI not to do things that makes it look bad. As we’ve previously seen, Sophy acquitted itself well at Race Together, but was ultimately beaten by the human players — Ryota Kokubun, Takuma Miyazono, Shotaro Ryu, and Tomoaki Yamanaka — on aggregate points.

Of course the AI had another go later in 2021, and the training for that is likely to appear in a future video in the series. For now you can watch the 11-minute second part below:

Markio128

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with Sophy, but I have to admit that I already struggle with some of the 4/5 ‘chilli’ races on GT7 😂

Con-Z-epT

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with Sophy, but I have to admit that I already struggle with some of the 4/5 ‘chilli’ races on GT7 😂
Would be cool if it is adjustable like it is now but with added awareness of the A.I. itself. They also lack tactics when it comes to changing tires and pit stops in general. Very curious where this will lead.

Markio128

If you could ask Kaz to add any new mode/feature whatever to GT7, what would you ask for? I’d personally love a new career mode, where you can take on a tournament in various classes that uses all of the tracks.

Markio128

It seems there are only menus to collect the vehicles, but hopefully there are some new races as well. At least there should be the opportunity to earn some decent creds with the additional circuit experience.

Con-Z-epT

It seems there are only menus to collect the vehicles, but hopefully there are some new races as well. At least there should be the opportunity to earn some decent creds with the additional circuit experience.

4. Two New Extra Menus for "Abarth" and "Gr.2 Racing Car" in the Café.

The following two extra menus have been added. Further Menu Books are planned to be added with future updates.

・"Collection: Abarth" opens at Collector Level 27.
 ・"Collection: Gr.2 Racing Cars" opens at Collector Level 38.

I had hoped we get some new events. :messenger_expressionless: But at least i can make some custom ones with the new layouts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

4. Two New Extra Menus for "Abarth" and "Gr.2 Racing Car" in the Café.

The following two extra menus have been added. Further Menu Books are planned to be added with future updates.

・"Collection: Abarth" opens at Collector Level 27.
 ・"Collection: Gr.2 Racing Cars" opens at Collector Level 38.

I had hoped we get some new events. :messenger_expressionless: But at least i can make some custom ones with the new layouts.
I'm glad they're actually adding menus with each new update now. It seems they are doing car collecting and events every other updated.

Con-Z-epT

I'm glad they're actually adding menus with each new update now. It seems they are doing car collecting and events every other updated.
I feel weird to ask for more events when i basically do custom single and multiplayer events solely, for the last two months. The content is there for me to create, so new layouts or tracks are actually much more important.

It would just be nice to have one or two new events to cash in big instead of the usual suspects. On the other hand i already have over 400 cars and will soon run out of things to buy so... :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Overall i'm happy for the support and in most updates it's usually a newly added feature or QoL change that excites me most.

Top Bottom