• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Same here. Been getting into IMSA and GT racing in the real world since playing this game. Always been a car guy, track my cars from drag racing to road courses, but now I've been following along and will be attending several races this year in FL.
I started to look around for race tracks at about 500km distance of my house and what they have to offer in terms of amateur / solo racing and i think it wont take long until i bite and lend myself a fancy car to drive some laps. However prices are quite high and although i'm not poor, even i have to admit that it is steep. You can drive super cheap in your own car around those tracks but for me that's like riding my bicycle on the freeway. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_neutral:

I still can't believe what Gran Turismo 7 has provoked in me and much fun i have with the game after a decade of abstinence in terms of sim racing.

Praise the Kazunori!

Jorav

Got back into this after a few weeks of not touching it. Forgot how weird the pit stops are for some circuits. One minute at Laguna Seca? Lol

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh good lord, the rally stages are fucking awful. Why did they make them an obligatory cafe menu stage?

Other than, loving the game with my G29. All that MTX talk doesnt really feature at all when actually playing the game.

Con-Z-epT

A lot of the Gr. 1 Hypercars are broken right now in terms of the downforce it seems. So if you struggle with your gold time for the Le Mans circuit experience go ahead and grab it while you can. I beat my old gold time today by 4 seconds on my second try. Hilarious! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh good lord, the rally stages are fucking awful. Why did they make them an obligatory cafe menu stage?

Other than, loving the game with my G29. All that MTX talk doesnt really feature at all when actually playing the game.
Yeah, they should remove rally completely from this series and focus those resources on strictly the tarmac and cars for it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, they should remove rally completely from this series and focus those resources on strictly the tarmac and cars for it.

It’s a weird addition. Rallying is such a fundamentally different discipline from track and road racing. It needs a totally different approach to driving. In fact, the game goes out of its way to teach you the basics of race track methodology, that it’s actually detrimental when you come to have to take to a rally course (with pretty appalling physics for it).

Melfice7

It’s a weird addition. Rallying is such a fundamentally different discipline from track and road racing. It needs a totally different approach to driving. In fact, the game goes out of its way to teach you the basics of race track methodology, that it’s actually detrimental when you come to have to take to a rally course (with pretty appalling physics for it).

Rally in GT is a after thought joke ever since GT2, wish they just removed it since they're not interested in doing it right

Speaking of rally races, what always bothered me as a game that goes for realism, they still made rally races multiu track races. A propper rally is from point A to B in the shortest amount of time. Its like they want to be realistic and DIRT at the same time. Dont get me started on the feather fence tape that is hard as a concrete wall. On a car racetrack you can get out of the track if you mess up but in a rally race, that tape keeps you inside the track at all times lol.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Speaking of rally races, what always bothered me as a game that goes for realism, they still made rally races multiu track races. A propper rally is from point A to B in the shortest amount of time. Its like they want to be realistic and DIRT at the same time. Dont get me started on the feather fence tape that is hard as a concrete wall. On a car racetrack you can get out of the track if you mess up but in a rally race, that tape keeps you inside the track at all times lol.

They really should just dump it. For a driving simulator that tries to be as realistic as possible, the rally stuff is so unrealistic, it’s crazy.

In other related stuff, started dipping my toe in sports mode now I’ve completed all the cafe menu stuff. There are some real clowns on there, but had a few good races so far. Made the mistake of using a preset car once. Won’t be doing that again 😳

Melfice7

They really should just dump it. For a driving simulator that tries to be as realistic as possible, the rally stuff is so unrealistic, it’s crazy.

In other related stuff, started dipping my toe in sports mode now I’ve completed all the cafe menu stuff. There are some real clowns on there, but had a few good races so far. Made the mistake of using a preset car once. Won’t be doing that again 😳

Work your way to S sportsmanship and the clowns will be almost non existent

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Forza showed the C8... come on Polyphony, get off your asses and add my car. C8 Stingray/Z51 package and the new Z06 w/Z07 package coming out soon.

It was voted Japan's 2021 Sports Car of the Year for crying out loud!

Con-Z-epT

It's my experience in sport and in 7, in europe at least
Sarcastic Well Done GIF by CBC

[Sigma]

Got this annoying audio desync/cut out that occurs after about 15 minutes of play time in a race when I look back(24 le mans race for example). Doesn't happen at the beginning of the race or within the first couple of laps but over time like I said it occurs. It's only annoying because of the fact that I know it's there, it's only half a second though after each time I look back. I'm wondering if that's the game or whether im having other issues. When im done with the race, everything goes back to normal but repeats the same way when start a new race.. Returnal does it in the tower at times, especially when im moving quickly through the portal at times. But I chalked that up as the game having audio problems it's known to have. But maybe that's not what's happening. Defaulted my audio on tv and PS5, tried every setting and including with and without headphones. Same result. Looked at a bunch youtube videos/reddit nothing helped.

Last edited:

Jorav

Anyone have a got to car for the GR1 Prototype Cafe races? I have the 2016 R18 and can't get anywhere near the front. The super formula car is good and i need to get better at it but it has a puny fuel tank. Why would they allow vision GT cars in this event is bonkers. Thinking i need to save for the 919 or the Toyota TS050.

Con-Z-epT

Got this annoying audio desync/cut out that occurs after about 15 minutes of play time in a race when I look back(24 le mans race for example). Doesn't happen at the beginning of the race or within the first couple of laps but over time like I said it occurs. It's only annoying because of the fact that I know it's there, it's only half a second though after each time I look back. I'm wondering if that's the game or whether im having other issues. When im done with the race, everything goes back to normal but repeats the same way when start a new race.. Returnal does it in the tower at times, especially when im moving quickly through the portal at times. But I chalked that up as the game having audio problems it's known to have. But maybe that's not what's happening. Defaulted my audio on tv and PS5, tried every setting and including with and without headphones. Same result. Looked at a bunch youtube videos/reddit nothing helped.
Dont Look Back Nbc GIF by Superstore

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Anyone have a got to car for the GR1 Prototype Cafe races? I have the 2016 R18 and can't get anywhere near the front. The super formula car is good and i need to get better at it but it has a puny fuel tank. Why would they allow vision GT cars in this event is bonkers. Thinking i need to save for the 919 or the Toyota TS050.
What about the Toyota GR010 Hybrid? I prefer that.

Con-Z-epT

The next update for Gran Turismo 7 is coming this week, and will see one of the franchise’s most iconic vehicles return to the car list for the first time in a decade.

Polypony Digital studio head Kazunori Yamauchi revealed the update on Twitter, posting on Sunday June 19 to say it would be “coming next week” — with no specific date noted.

Alongside that, Yamauchi posted what’s become a tradition: a composite image of the cars coming to the update in profile but heavily shaded. That revealed that the update would be bringing three addition vehicles, which seesm to be the monthly norm for GT7.

The three cars appear to be pretty easy to identify, with the top one in particular being something of a giveaway thanks to a huge splitter, enormous rear wing, and colossal roof scoop.

It’s pretty clear that it’s the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak, a 1,000hp hillclimb car built for Nobuhiro “Monster” Tajima to take on some of the world’s highest races.

Based on a Grand Vitara (or Escudo in its native Japan), the car features a turbocharged Suzuki V6 — 2.5-liter in the early model, 2.7-liter for the later car — producing close to four figures, in order to cope with the thin mountain air. That also explains the gigantic wings, meant to create downforce even at 14,000ft above sea level.

The Escudo Pikes Peak first appeared in Gran Turismo 2, being replaced with a later 1998 car — which the car for GT7 also appears to be — appearing from Gran Turismo 3 to Gran Turismo 6. It became a fan favorite not just for its ludicrous speed, but the fact it could break the game’s physics with certain settings and accelerate up to 2.15 billion miles an hour…

While it’s going to be the obvious focus of attention, there are still two other cars in the update too. The first of these looks to be a Gr.3 version of the recent Suzuki Vision Gran Turismo.

This was a car that defied identification when Yamauchi revealed it in a previous silhouette post, but it’s an entertaining machine that pairs a Hayabusa motorbike engine with electric power. The Gr.3 model is likely to add large wings and a dose more power, though it will prove difficult to balance with the rest of the class thanks to the low weight.

That leaves the third car which appears to be new to the series, and looks like a convertible-bodied version of the 1932 Ford, or Deuce Roadster. Identifying it more precisely than that is tricky, as it’s an extremely popular hot rod — making it likely it’s a car that Polyphony Digital encountered at SEMA in the past.

There’s no indication of anything else coming to the game in the update at present, but fans will be hoping for new circuits — and new events to race on them.

Only one track has arrived in the game post-launch, and that was a very mildly rearranged version of an existing one — adding the 24h pit lane and start/finish to the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. A gap in the current GT World Series schedule for July 1 indicates a new circuit is possible, but not inevitable.

In addition, players are still waiting for the ability to sell cars to come to the game, flagged by Yamauchi as a “near-term” prospect back in March, while issues with open lobbies being considerably more restricted than GT Sport’s version are also a high priority for many.

tommib

What’s the best car for the last/new cafe tournaments after the update? Big difficulty spike for me. Struggling hard to finish the last menu.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I do think they could do with adding some new tracks.

I shall keep my stupid fingers crossed they're adding Silverstone, because it's the next GP.

Con-Z-epT

What’s the best car for the last/new cafe tournaments after the update? Big difficulty spike for me. Struggling hard to finish the last menu.
You mean the Gr. 1-prototype-series?

I went with the Toyota GR010 Hybrid that was released together with the update that introduced this menu.

Is it a specific race track you are struggling with? Through repetition you should get familiar with the tracks, which ultimately will lead to your success.

Maybe don't play on hard. :messenger_winking:

tommib

You mean the Gr. 1-prototype-series?

I went with the Toyota GR010 Hybrid that was released together with the update that introduced this menu.

Is it a specific race track you are struggling with? Through repetition you should get familiar with the tracks, which ultimately will lead to your success.

Maybe don't play on hard. :messenger_winking:
I still fail. I’m using the Audi VGT with nitro. PP close to 950. I think I might be doing something wrong during the pit stop. I’ll record it next time and will share it here so that you guys can tell me why I’m a loser.

Con-Z-epT

I still fail. I’m using the Audi VGT with nitro. PP close to 950. I think I might be doing something wrong during the pit stop. I’ll record it next time and will share it here so that you guys can tell me why I’m a loser.
You're not a loser!

Surely there might be something off with your strategy. You can use quite a lot of cars for the race and i haven't even tested half of them but some aren't really suited all that well for these races.

Con-Z-epT

2000px-Watkins_Glen_International_Track_Map.svg.png

Here is the layout for the watkins glen international. I can already smell the one million credits for the circuit experience. :messenger_beaming: Hurry up update! Where are you?

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Update Details (1.17)​

A new update for Gran Turismo 7 has been released. The following is a list of the main features and adjustments introduced.

Main Features Implemented​

1. Cars
 - The following three new cars have been added:
  ・1932 Ford Roadster ‘63 (Purchasable at 'Legend Cars' from 24 June);
  ・Suzuki V6 ESCUDO Pikes Peak Special '98 (Purchasable at 'Legend Cars' from 24 June);
  ・Suzuki Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3 Version)

2. Tracks
 - The 'Watkins Glen International' race track has been added in two different layouts:
  ・Watkins Glen Long Course
  ・Watkins Glen Short Course

3. World Circuits
 - 'Circuit Experience' has been added to the 'Watkins Glen International' track in the 'Americas' section.
 - The following new events have been added to 'World Circuits':
  ・Watkins Glen International
   - American FR Challenge 550
   - American Clubman Cup 700
   - World Touring Car 800

These new events will become available at Collector Level 17.

4. Scapes
 - The 'Watkins Glen International' location has been added as a featured Curation in Scapes;
 - A new spot has been added to the Scapes demo roll.

5. Café
 - Added 41 sets of new conversations with the Characters appearing in the Café. These new conversations can be accessed by changing cars in 'Garage' and speaking with the Character that is in the Café;
 - New 'Extra Menus' have been introduced: these menus provide opportunities to complete new car collections and are accessible after a certain Collector Level has been reached. In Update 1.17, the following three Extra Menus have been added:
  ・Extra Menu No. 1: 'Collection: Toyota 86'
  ・Extra Menu No. 2: 'Collection: Honda Type R'
  ・Extra Menu No. 3: 'Collection: Rotary Engine'

The new Extra Menus will appear after clearing Menu Book No. 39 ('Championship: World GT Series') and having watched the ending, with a player’s Collector Level of at least 20 for Extra Menu No. 1 and 2, and a Collector Level of at least 32 for Extra Menu No. 3.

6. GT Auto
 - The following four new paint colours have been added:
  ・Ford Roadster Black
  ・Suzuki Escudo Pikespeak Red
  ・Suzuki VGT Gr3 Blue
  ・Suzuki VGT Gr3 Black

7. Options
 - The 'Horn' command can now be assigned to a button in the controller configuration menu. 'Horn' is not available for race cars and certain other cars;
 - 'In-game Notifications' settings for 'Now Playing' are now stored in the Save Data;
 - A 'Steering Controller Settings' option has been added to the Controllers menu. This menu can be used to check connected steering wheel controllers and adjust related input values. Pedal sensitivity can also be adjusted from 'Pedal Calibration.'

Other Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Multiplayer
 - Event Settings can now be changed after a room has been created in 'Lobby;'
 - The 'Variable Time Speed Rate' value in 'Time / Water Settings' can now be changed from 10x to 30x.

2. Race
 - Added a ‘Refuelling Speed’ option to 'Race Settings' in 'Lobby' and 'Custom Races;'
 - Added a 'Load Ghost' option to the 'Ghost Settings' menu from [Quick Menu] > [Settings];
 - The correct road wetness will now be automatically applied if 'Custom Weather' is selected from 'Time / Weather' options in 'Lobby';
 - Fixed an issue wherein the rewards at the end of a race would not match the adjusted values following a change in the Event Settings in 'Race Settings' from the Quick Menu;
 - Changed the number of laps set for each course in [Arcade] > [Single Race] when in Offline Mode.

3. Sport
 - Added Gold, Silver, and Bronze target times rewards to ‘Online Time Trial’. It is now possible to obtain those rewards by re-entering 'Sport' after an Online Time Trial ranking registration period has ended;
 - The following game stats are now displayed at the top of the screen in ‘Sport’:
  ・Races
  ・Victories
  ・No. of Top 5 Finishes
  ・No. of Gold Record Finishes (Online Time Trial)
  ・No. of Silver Record Finishes (Online Time Trial)
  ・No. of Bronze Record Finishes (Online Time Trial)

4. My Page
 - The following items have been added to 'Profile' in 'My Page':
  ・No. of Top 5 Finishes
  ・No. of Gold Record Finishes (Online Time Trial)
  ・No. of Silver Record Finishes (Online Time Trial)
  ・No. of Bronze Record Finishes (Online Time Trial

- Fixed the calculation method for the following stats under the 'Sport' category in 'Profile' in 'My Page':
  ・Pole Positions
  ・Races
  ・Victories

5. Physics Simulation Model
 - Adjusted the speed of certain hybrid cars when they ran out of fuel.

6. Sound
 - Fixed an issue with the Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II engine sound.

7. GT Auto
 - Fixed an issue wherein a livery data error would occur when transferring liveries from 'Gran Turismo Sport' with the following cars:
  ・Toyota 86 GT '15
  ・Toyota 86 GRMN '16
  ・Honda Civic Type R (EK) '98

8. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have never completed a GT campaign. Like a hard Dark Souls boss, my every GT journey has ended in a race where I am forced to a bad car or otherwise unbeatable race where I just slide through corners or never can catch up on the straights.

In GT7, World Touring Car 600 Race 1 is my Bell Gargoyle of this game. Rainy race with super sharp unforgiving corners.

I have managed to figure out that a tricked out Clio RS is my best handling choice here.

But what on earth is going on with the AI? Last race I came fourth, fastest AI lap was 1:50. Now I had a comfortable lead until a last lap cock up and came third. Fastest AI lap? 1:46! How the fuck does the AI suddenly drive 4sec faster laps.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Got the M64/03-911 Porsche engine from the ticket and slaped it into the beetle. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The acceleration and the sound are totally crazy. At about 120km/h the front starts to lift and the front wheels barely touch the ground anymore so that steering is pretty much impossible. For a second i thought we have another PS2 Pikes Peak situation here. I will call him Herbie now...

52171153067_2d2f6d9503_o.png

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I really wondered why people would go from medium to soft tires and vice versa in the current daily race C when i found out that it is mandatory and you get a 1 min penalty if you don't do this.

I felt like such a noob. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is this mentioned somewhere? I couldn't see anything.

Fox Mulder

I’m the only one farming tickets with the extra menus? :D

I did enough to get all but one engine. Saw people were using scripts to automate it since it’s pretty boring.

shows how busted these stupid ass roulettes are where you can play since release and never win one, and there’s 16 of them. This shit is getting in the way of fun. But it’ll get patched like the tomahawk grinding without fixing issues that push people to these methods.

Monokrom

I’m the only one farming tickets with the extra menus? :D

Been doing this too. I have all 16 engines and about 10 invitations. So many 10000 cr...
They really shouldn't have implemented these roulette tickets in the first place. In my opinion.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Just reached driver rank A and i'm super happy about it. Very proud of myself to see the progression from starting GT7 after a decade of sim abstinence and "reaching" further for perfection. There is still a lot for me to improve and i fear that i will soon reach a point where i can't evolve beyond my current skill level especially because of the controller. I think more and more about a wheel...

I'm so obsessed with Gran Turismo 7. :messenger_beaming:

Curse Them Boy Meets World GIF

Top Bottom