• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

SkylineRKR

automatic shifting is easier with wheel, as in real life driving. The plus ofcourse is that you get more grip if you immediately turn gears down instead of having to brake until at the right gear.

But with pad, its tough. Its all training though.

Just did the Laguna Seca 700pp race, 10 laps with pit stop. I struggled with supra racing car (too slow), Scricco Gr4 (bad cornering) etc. But the Silvia Touring Car is an absolute fucking beast. If you're looking at a sub 700pp car, this one is good. Beat Deep forest with it also, 2 stopper, but there was only one car ahead and he was a sitting duck at the final lap.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I can see now why standing starts are so uncommon, the framerate fucking tanks like it did in GT5.

GT7 is great but now that I beat the 'campaign' i'm kind of disappointed. It hit me that the Cafe IS the entire campaign and 99% is catch up races. I remember the Formula GT championship in GT5, that car was hidden behind RNG lol, but the championship was an absolute thrill. I disliked GT5, but 7 has nothing even remotely thrilling in its SP. I dunno, there are some awesome grid start races in here with very tough AI, but they're really few.

As for online I have to wait for Now to convert to premium, but the online was broken post-launch. Hope its fixed.

Aenima

It had to be done.

7fb4090baa0914a17cf6300183ae2fbb_photo.webp

giphy.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did they tweak PP for a lot of cars?

My ZL1 at 95% power reduction on RS tires F/R I could have sworn was 799 PP prior to the patch, because I would race it on the 800 at Daytona.

Now it was 804 PP and to get it to 799 I needed to reduce power to 91%.

So now, I run it 100% power, and just to RM/RS F/R to start the race and since you can’t stagger tires in the pit, I run RM all around the rest of the race. Notice the race is MUCH closer and I can’t mess up at all now.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Did they tweak PP for a lot of cars?

My ZL1 at 95% power reduction on RS tires F/R I could have sworn was 799 PP prior to the patch, because I would race it on the 800 at Daytona.

Now it was 804 PP and to get it to 799 I needed to reduce power to 91%.

So now, I run it 100% power, and just to RM/RS F/R to start the race and since you can’t stagger tires in the pit, I run RM all around the rest of the race. Notice the race is MUCH closer and I can’t mess up at all now.
They adjusted it yes.

Gone is the Tomahawk. I experienced similar things like you and it seems it's not that easy overall anymore to bring down higher cars to lower PP levels. Not all cars are affected however.

Con-Z-epT

So what about some real criticism?!

The online racing behaviour. Why even have a rank for sportsmanship if it doesn't mean anything? I'm racing in rank C'S' since my 10th online race and get paired with the same category. For the skill level C the matchmaking is superb but the sportsmanship rank S doesn't mean a thing.

I try my utmost best to play very passive in the beginning and let people duke it out without me yet i get constantly plowed away like if i'm playing wreckfest. Every single race!

It only gets better after the 3rd or 4th lap when the playingfield spreads and the real driving skills show up. Super annoying!

At Least the penalties have improved. Before the update i got penalties if somebody pushed me into another car and that hasn't happened since.

The good part about this is that in 99% of these cases i finish before these "smart" people so thats something.

Aenima

For the ppl that chose to represent a manufactor on the Manufactor Series, and was not happy with the sponsored cars, a new Season is about to start, so ppl can choose again a diferent manufactor to get new sponsored cars.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The online racing behaviour. Why even have a rank for sportsmanship if it doesn't mean anything? I'm racing in rank C'S' since my 10th online race and get paired with the same category. For the skill level C the matchmaking is superb but the sportsmanship rank S doesn't mean a thing.

I try my utmost best to play very passive in the beginning and let people duke it out without me yet i get constantly plowed away like if i'm playing wreckfest. Every single race!

It only gets better after the 3rd or 4th lap when the playingfield spreads and the real driving skills show up. Super annoying!

At Least the penalties have improved. Before the update i got penalties if somebody pushed me into another car and that hasn't happened since.

The good part about this is that in 99% of these cases i finish before these "smart" people so thats something.
I have yet to play online, but this does not sound too desirable if it's bumper cars galore.

DJ12

Some people just have bad races, especially when they reach their limit of skill, if you sail past them like they aren't even there some of them take it as a slight and take you out.

Not sure there's anything they can do about it in the match making. If I have 10 great races I'm going to be class s, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to take everyone out in the next race.

I quite like the online, the odd bad race with a plank is acceptable for the many good races I've had.

But if you are well clear in the leading pack you are usually OK anyway.

Con-Z-epT

I have yet to play online, but this does not sound too desirable if it's bumper cars galore.

I still find great joy in competitive online races because it is much more exhilarating to drive against human players. But when i get taken out in the first corner and end up in second place 10 seconds behind the leader it dampens the experience a bit. It's not all bad but could be better.

Some people just have bad races, especially when they reach their limit of skill, if you sail past them like they aren't even there some of them take it as a slight and take you out.

Not sure there's anything they can do about it in the match making. If I have 10 great races I'm going to be class s, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to take everyone out in the next race.

I quite like the online, the odd bad race with a plank is acceptable for the many good races I've had.

But if you are well clear in the leading pack you are usually OK anyway.

Nothing against some paint scratches and slight touches in an intense race for the fight to victory but this is not a Burnout game. The first corner in every race is a nightmare if you are not in one of the first three places through a good qualifying lap beforehand. Again, once the field pans out after the first few laps it's all good but is it really this hard to behave a bit?

You can loose the S rank quite fast but you can gain it back even faster. I think it should be reserved for clean racers that earned this rank through multiple clean races.

I just struggle to understand the mindset of other players.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I improved to the B rank in Sport Mode today. Had some good qualification times and wonderful battles for the pole position with the new daily races. Felt like beating a boss in a Souls game. Overall i would say this was my best day in Sport Mode since release.

From the spinning triangles on the minimap to some heavy comments after the race it seems that even in B'S' rank people don't drive fair. Glad i avoided it today.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I tell you what. I've been loving the 2.0 liter GT-R GT500 Motul race car (though I use someone's purple Silk Cut livery) with 99% power and 91 ballast for 799.99pp on racing hards in the 800pp races. The car handles so, so good and it's snap, crackle, pop is so addictive.

Con-Z-epT

I tell you what. I've been loving the 2.0 liter GT-R GT500 Motul race car (though I use someone's purple Silk Cut livery) with 99% power and 91 ballast for 799.99pp on racing hards in the 800pp races. The car handles so, so good and it's snap, crackle, pop is so addictive.
A real feast for the senses. Always puts a smile on my face.

Con-Z-epT

I also believe Sardegna is still bugged for "clean race" since I keep getting the bonus even when I know cars were smacked, etc..

Unless that track's tolerances aren't as severe.
Once i didn't got the clean race bonus and i'm still unsure why but yeah, seems bugged.

I try to use slower cars the more i play it to up the challenge since i can drive it blind by now but it's still a cool race. Fuelefficencie seems to be key here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Once i didn't got the clean race bonus and i'm still unsure why but yeah, seems bugged.

I try to use slower cars the more i play it to up the challenge since i can drive it blind by now but it's still a cool race. Fuelefficencie seems to be key here.
I think the track is much more tolerant than others (may be a bug, yeah). You even fart wrong on Daytona and there is no clean race bonus, lol.

Yeah, it definitely comes down to fuel efficiency. I've been playing with mapping 6 on the long straights and 1-3 on the rest of the turn portions and short bursts. Also, shifting early (since I use manual only now) and letting off very early going into turns from high speed.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I think the track is much more tolerant than others (may be a bug, yeah). You even fart wrong on Daytona and there is no clean race bonus, lol.
Totally! The last chicane in Daytona messed me up so many times. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_tears_of_joy: How do they call it? The "bus stop"?
Yeah, it definitely comes down to fuel efficiency. I've been playing with mapping 6 on the long straights and 1-3 on the rest of the turn portions and short bursts. Also, shifting early (since I use manual only now) and letting off very early going into turns from high speed.
I do the same for the fuel map. I go for medium tires on the slower / less efficient cars to really push it. How is it going with manual transitioning? I went back to automatic after countless tries. Have to give it another go sometime.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How is it going with manual transitioning? I went back to automatic after countless tries. Have to give it another go sometime.
It was a little funky at first, but noticed my lap times improve, since I am able to engage the corners more aggressively, and the car seems to respond a little better into the turns and shooting out of the apex. Once I did a few races, it's starting to become second nature. Getting better and better with it each race.

I also find it adds a little more layer of interactivity and fun (with the feedback, sound, etc), a little more realism if one is used to driving a dual clutch trans or the like with paddles IRL.

Con-Z-epT

It was a little funky at first, but noticed my lap times improve, since I am able to engage the corners more aggressively, and the car seems to respond a little better into the turns and shooting out of the apex. Once I did a few races, it's starting to become second nature. Getting better and better with it each race.

I also find it adds a little more layer of interactivity and fun (with the feedback, sound, etc), a little more realism if one is used to driving a dual clutch trans or the like with paddles IRL.
Do you use a wheel or a controller?

That's the point, with automatic transmission you miss out on an integral part of the game. I just never had imagined that i would struggle with it this much.

Con-Z-epT

For the daily race A it says "no update" for DR and SR. So my rank will stay as it is whatever happens?

Do private lobbies affect DR or SR?

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Controller for now.

Looking into getting a DD setup down the road.
Then there is still hope for me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I would like to have a wheel to but i have no clue to where i could put it. My left wrist cramps after longer sessions and / or intense races so this thought comes up more often lately.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then there is still hope for me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I would like to have a wheel to but i have no clue to where i could put it. My left wrist cramps after longer sessions and / or intense races so this thought comes up more often lately.
Yeah, I had Logitech wheels for the PS3 (still have the GT one in mint condition in the box) but it no longer works for PS4/5 due to that licensing Logitech did not want to pay to Immersion or some shit.

So if I do go wheel soon, I will do a Fanatec DD with a sit-down rig and the new 42" or 48" Sony OLED for the "windscreen."

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Yeah, I had Logitech wheels for the PS3 (still have the GT one in mint condition in the box) but it no longer works for PS4/5 due to that licensing Logitech did not want to pay to Immersion or some shit.

So if I do go wheel soon, I will do a Fanatec DD with a sit-down rig and the new 42" or 48" Sony OLED for the "windscreen."
So a completely new place where you will do you races instead of sitting down on the couch and fiddling with the wheel? Seems like the only real option...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So a completely new place where you will do you races instead of sitting down on the couch and fiddling with the wheel? Seems like the only real option...
Yep. This time, go big.

The Logitech worked great at the time with the ability to mount it to a table/desk and using it for PC/PS3. But now, I just want a separate dedicated setup.

Con-Z-epT

Yep. This time, go big.

The Logitech worked great at the time with the ability to mount it to a table/desk and using it for PC/PS3. But now, I just want a separate dedicated setup.
And then...? Straight into the middle of the living room? I could make space but just when i think about it the missus gives me a look that tells me i won't be a famous racing driver any time soon. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Aenima

Today got the most value out of my Daily Workout tickets. Got a 6 star ticket that droped a McLaren P1 GTR'16 (worth 3.6 million).

Also decided to give the licences a new try, since many IA and S licences i only got the bronze, and they updated the game with some physic changes since last time i tried them, and the IA licences felt much easier to achieve the gold now.
So now only the S licences left to gold, will start trying to gold those ones tomorrow, maybe trying do gold 1 each day.

Con-Z-epT

So the Fanatec DD Pro is the way to go it seems. Any other direct drive wheels with similar compatibility and reasonable price? A lot of people are vocal about quality issues on the Fanatec forums with this wheel. I'm unsure how widespread this is since it's always the dissatisfied customers when it comes to impressions like this. I guess it doesn't matter all that much for the moment since the wheel is nowhere available.

I wouldn't mind the investment but with the layout of my living room I would be forced to have a new space to play and a new TV. This would lead to an audio / visual downgrade and a repositioning of the console itself. Then the whole experience for other games would suffer. Decisions decisions...

dont-want.gif

How do you reset the tuning and upgrades back to default? I thought in tuning shop I could chose the option to get a new body and then everything is back to its vanilla stage but its grayed out and shows N/A for my Tomahawk. Am i missing something here?

Con-Z-epT

How do you reset the tuning and upgrades back to default? I thought in tuning shop I could chose the option to get a new body and then everything is back to its vanilla stage but its grayed out and shows N/A for my Tomahawk. Am i missing something here?
You can adjust or change everything in the adjustment sheet before you start a race or from your garage. Not just values but also the tuning parts you want to use. So if you want "vanilla" then deselect what you bought.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

With the 24 hours of the Nordschleife gone, Le Mans ahead on the coming weekend and SPA on the horizon it's kinda sad that we haven't gotten some cool daily online races that would reflect that.

The only consolation is the single player event for SPA that was included in the penultimate update.

Over It Reaction GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
With the 24 hours of the Nordschleife gone, Le Mans ahead on the coming weekend and SPA on the horizon it's kinda sad that we haven't gotten some cool daily online races that would reflect that.

The only consolation is the single player event for SPA that was included in the penultimate update.

Over It Reaction GIF
Yeah, I am hoping they will add more soon, especially Daytona 24hr and the like.

I did SPA for the first time last night, and man that was an awesome, intense, edge of the seat the entire time experience. Especially with the rain weather patterns.

Con-Z-epT

Yeah, I am hoping they will add more soon, especially Daytona 24hr and the like.

I did SPA for the first time last night, and man that was an awesome, intense, edge of the seat the entire time experience. Especially with the rain weather patterns.
Yeah that's pretty awesome. I stopped counting how often i've driven that event. I'm getting used to the Nordschleife more and more lately and would love to see some cool events other than the small ones we have now. And then i watched "Le Mans 66" (or Ford v Ferrari) over a week ago and now i'm pumped for some classic endurance races. Especially Daytona with fast cars gets better and better the more i play it.

Con-Z-epT

The next update for Gran Turismo 7 will be released on Thursday, June 9, 2022, according to an official announcement on Polyphony Digital’s website.

As usual with updates, the game’s servers will be offline for maintenance approximately two hours starting at 06:00 UTC.

What the update will contain remains a mystery, but the notice does mention “Performance Points (PP) requirements for some events may change with this update”. This suggests there may be some adjustments to the Performance Points calculation system itself, but we won’t know for certain until the update arrives.

Arguably the most pressing issue is the reduction in force feedback strength affecting Gran Turismo’s officially-branded wheels from Thrustmaster and Fanatec. Polyphony Digital claims this was a “temporary emergency measure” designed to prevent injuries, but it understandably outraged many of the game’s best and most-invested players.

Our community figured out ways to help mitigate the problem, but it will still be top-of-mind for affected wheel users as they hope to learn just how “temporary” this “emergency measure” actually is.

Ahead of the most recent update on May 26, Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi teased three new cars. However, his Twitter account has been quiet over the past few days, suggesting the next update could be light on content.

In terms of upcoming features, one of the most hotly anticipated is the ability to sell cars. This Gran Turismo hallmark was conspicuously absent from GT7, but Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed it would come to the game back in March and now would be as good a time as any…

Stay tuned: we’ll be keeping a close eye on the update and will bring you more news as soon as it’s available.

Fox Mulder

I don’t even get the desire to sell cars back to the game. They surely won’t allow gifted cars where most dupes come from and it’ll probably only allow like 20% of the value, even though they’re also tying legendary car prices to real world values with the Hagarty’s stuff.

Con-Z-epT

The following is a list of features introduced in the latest update for Gran Turismo 7..

Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Car Settings
 - Fixed an issue where High Compression Pistons and Turbochargers were installed at the same time if certain inputs were performed.

2. World Circuits
 - Fixed an issue where selecting 'Rivals Settings' > 'Rivals Selection' > 'Random' in a [Custom Race] and starting with a Toyota GR010 HYBRID '21 would result in a one-make race.
 - Rival cars’ wheel colors now match those displayed on the thumbnails in Lightweight K-Cup.
 - Fixed an issue where the time from the point of pit entry along with the actual pitstop time would be counted on some tracks such as Deep Forest.
 - Fixed an issue where changing car from 'Settings' > 'Change Car' in a [Time Trial] or [Drift Trial] event screen did not change the car's thumbnail on the Top Screen.

3. Multiplayer
 - Fixed an issue where selecting 'Race Settings' > 'Start Type' > 'Grid Start with False Start Check' in Lobby would result in the actual start times of each car to differ.
 - Fixed an issue where entering a room during a race in some instances would cause the background to disappear and the game to freeze when leaving the room.

4. Steering Controller
 - Adjusted the force feedback strength for the following combinations of cars and steering wheel controllers. When using any other combination, the force feedback strength applied will be the one from Update 1.13

- Cars
  ・SRT Tomahawk X Vision Gran Turismo
  ・SRT GTS-R Vision Gran Turismo
  ・Jaguar Vision Gran Turismo SV

- Steering Wheels
  ・Thrustmaster® T300
  ・Thrustmaster® T500
  ・Thrustmaster® T-GT
  ・Fanatec® CSL Elite Racing Wheel
  ・Fanatec® Podium
  ・Fanatec® GT DD Pro

5. Showcase
 - Fixed an issue where the progress bar of a video playback would not start from the beginning when playing a best lap replay in Showcase.

6. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
  ・SRT Tomahawk X Vision Gran Turismo

I tell you what. The Tomahawk beat the shit out of the DualSense, so I can only imagine how brutal it was on a strong DD wheel.

And for the record, I could swear they lightened the strength on the DS controller as well in the triggers, even thought it's not listed on there. Then again, I have not used the Tomahawk since the patch went live, so maybe that car was just extreme and I forgot that other cars I usually use (ZL1, '16 Nissan GT500, etc) are less aggressive in the triggers.

Con-Z-epT

I've been pretty hyped for the start of the 24h of Le Mans tomorrow. Never been to much into real world racing but GT7 brought something out in me that has been buried for a long time. I've been browsing for cars that take part and stumbled across the Peugeot 9X8 that won't attend, since it was just revealed but looks so cool that i wanted to share it if you haven't seen it. Would love to have it in the game.

Peugeot-9X8.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've been pretty hyped for the start of the 24h of Le Mans tomorrow. Never been to much into real world racing but GT7 brought something out in me that has been buried for a long time. I've been browsing for cars that take part and stumbled across the Peugeot 9X8 that won't attend, since it was just revealed but looks so cool that i wanted to share it if you haven't seen it. Would love to have it in the game.

Peugeot-9X8.png
Same here. Been getting into IMSA and GT racing in the real world since playing this game. Always been a car guy, track my cars from drag racing to road courses, but now I've been following along and will be attending several races this year in FL.

Top Bottom