• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW Ragnarok unsurprisingly has leaks all over the Internet

ACESHIGH

Banned
Bad ending: A time space warp opens and Kratos gets tombstone piledrived to death by Nadine.

Good ending (or begging) in a recon to OG God of war. Kratos awakens his true PS2/PS3 era rage and kills boy at the begging of the game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Then you would have rushed reviews.

People should stop being rightful cunts, really.
I don’t think the current strategy for reviews work. They’re made too early before patches are in place and too late for the dev to actually correct the things that aren’t good. And they’re almost never updated so even years later they still only show the state the game was in before launch. And now they ruin the launch with leaks.
Who are they made for?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t think the current strategy for reviews work. They’re made too early before patches are in place and too late for the dev to actually correct the things that aren’t good. And they’re almost never updated so even years later they still only show the state the game was in before launch. And now they ruin the launch with leaks.
Who are they made for?
On the plus side, SP narrative games hold true for the most part.

But what about MP games where the reviewer does an article on launch day where he played MP modes on canned servers with only the dev team and other game reviewers? Very controlled online environments, while the general public can get hit with major connection issues and crashes.

Also, MP games take a bit of time for the mass of players to notice unbalanced maps and weapons, glitches, and other shit the reviewers almost never bring up.

kratos-kratos-cosplay.gif

Sneak peek at the DLC weapons

bag-with-golf-clubs-1024x576.jpg

Its a fucking wrap when she gets to that 9 iron.

Last edited:

Fredrik

On the plus side, SP narrative games hold true for the most part.

But what about MP games where the reviewer does an article on launch day where he played MP modes on canned servers with only the dev team and other game reviewers? Very controlled online environments, while the general public can get hit with major connection issues and crashes.

Also, MP games take a bit of time for the mass of players to notice unbalanced maps and weapons, glitches, and other shit the reviewers almost never bring up.
SP narrative games still get patches. We’ve seen games getting 60fps modes, RT, glitch fixes, 40fps modes, rebalacing patches, in-game stores, etc after launch.
And reviews are made weeks before launch.

MP and GAAS games and regular day 0 reviews just don’t work.

Tbh, listening to regular gamers on boards, like GAF, is often more helpful to know if it’s worth playing a game when you’re slightly LTTP. Stuff reviewers can moan about can have been fixed within a week.

I use Steam reviews a lot, there you can filter for playtime to not end up listening to someone who has played for 5 hours and saying it’s the GOTY or haven’t even touched it and say it’s shit. Reviews can be updated too, which professional reviewer almost never do.

Last edited:

saintjules

Sucks that leaks are out. Sony should just pull the switch and release the game digitally at that point.

I've heard this thought before with other games. I have never seen a developer release their game immediately because leaks come out.

We'll be waiting the 2 weeks.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The one video I watched on YouTube showed Kratos having a very aggressive conversation with Thor about how gender is binary and not on a spectrum.

The writing, the voice acting, the motion capture and the music! Game of the Century.

I've heard this thought before with other games. I have never seen a developer release their game immediately because leaks come out.

We'll be waiting the 2 weeks.
Oh I’m certain we’ll be waiting too. Would be fun if they did release it a bit earlier though! Although I’m sure physical folk would be a bit frustrated lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t visit gaming sites, don’t use Twitter, and don't follow any gaming shit on social media so algorithms don’t feed me any gaming shit.

The only potential spoiler would be YouTube if someone puts them in the thumbnail.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Which is one of the primary places spoilers occur.

That’s partly the user’s fault then. The algorithm’s just going to feed you more of what you’re watching.

If you’re watching God of War videos then it’s probably a good idea to abandon YouTube for a while.

tommib

Couldn't resist. He's right you know.
There is even one famous detective story that tells the reader who the culpirit is at the very start.
What is he right about? That Hitchcock storyboarding his scripts to perfection in order to shock the viewer and create cinema history is the wrong way to tell a story?

No he’s not right. You can’t build tension or appreciate narrative development if you know everything’s that happening beforehand. I find it incomprehensible to think otherwise.

Guilty_AI

What is he right about? That Hitchcock storyboarding his scripts to perfection in order to shock the viewer and create cinema history is the wrong way to tell a story?

No he’s not right. You can’t build tension or appreciate narrative development if you know everything’s that happening beforehand. I find it incomprehensible to think otherwise.
You're talking about horror, probably one of the few cases where you need to keep unknow elements so as to create tension, though if really well done it is worth reading or watching even if you get spoiled. GOW isn't horror.

Also, we're not talking about "everything" (if you know everything, you know the story after all), we're talking about "surprises", aka few key plot developments about who lives, who dies, maybe some plot twist. If knowing X character dies is enough to spoil a story, that story isn't a good one.

tommib

You're talking about horror, probably one of the few cases where you need to keep unknow elements so as to create tension, though if really well done it is worth reading or watching even if you get spoiled. GOW isn't horror.

Also, we're not talking about "everything" (if you know everything, you know the story after all), we're talking about "surprises", aka few key plot developments about who lives, who dies, maybe some plot twist. If knowing X character dies is enough to spoil a story, that story isn't a good one.
You’re wrong in all aspects. And Hitchcock didn’t make a single true horror film. Maybe The Birds, and that’s stretching it. Pointless conversation anyway. We couldn’t think more differently. It’s also a cheap way to accuse everything that has some kind of surprise or twist by not being good without it. Which is bullshit.

I don’t even care about GOW but it’s shocking to see people undermine narrative construction and exposition to take a cheap shot at a game they’re not interested. People want to play GOW to know what happens while they play it because that is the experience.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sony will give a top secret surprise, like an NFT, Free to play or always online or some top secret shit... Like Gran Turismo.

Mephisto40

Disagree, Final Fantasy 7 would have been spoiled if we knew about a characters death before it happened, and that game has one of the best stories in video game history

K' Dash

I saw spoilers in a page that doesn’t relate to video games at all.

It was a small clip of a fight already shown to happen in one of the trailers.

People are nuts.

Guilty_AI

It’s also a cheap way to accuse everything that has some kind of surprise or twist by not being good without it. Which is bullshit.
Not really, you can have surprises and a good narrative. The point is a good narrative doesn't need that surprise to be interesting. Some narratives have so much confidence in themselves that they don't even bother hiding how certain things end, or straight up tell you.

I'm also not taking shots at GOWR, i don't known the story yet nor i have seen the spoilers. I don't think the original user who said this is either. Its merely an interesting indagation at the art of storytelling, nothing more, nothing less. If GOWR genuinely has a good story, then one spoiler or another will not ruin it, thats what this means.

Disagree, Final Fantasy 7 would have been spoiled if we knew about a characters death before it happened, and that game has one of the best stories in video game history
Read the above. Does knowing about Aerith's death beforehand (c'mon, its a +20 yo game and we all know this already, no need to be cryptic about it) makes the whole game unworthy seeing through?

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Read the above. Does knowing about Aerith's death beforehand (c'mon, its a +20 yo game and we all know this already, no need to be cryptic about it) makes the whole game unworthy seeing through?
If somebody would have told me about her dying 2 weeks before the game came out, yes it would have spoiled the story somewhat

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If somebody would have told me about her dying 2 weeks before the game came out, yes it would have spoiled the story somewhat imo
Would you not have enjoyed the game then? Does that mean if someone nowaydays picked up the game definitely knowing about this given how much memes we have about it, they wouldn't be able to appreciate the story or her character?

Better yet, to give an example in gaming, RDR2. Everyone knew Arthur was gonna die, even before his sickness appeared. Everyone knew what would happen to Dutch, the gang and everyone. Did any of that stop a lot of people from becoming emotionally invested? Did you tommib tommib ?

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Would you not have enjoyed the game then? Does that mean if someone nowaydays picked up the game definitely knowing about this given how much memes we have about it, they wouldn't be able to appreciate the story or her character?

Better yet, to give an example in gaming, RDR2. Everyone knew Arthur was gonna die, even before his sickness appeared. Everyone knew what would happen to Dutch, the gang and everyone. Did any of that stop a lot of people from becoming emotionally invested? Did you tommib tommib ?
I would have enjoyed the game less

And I wouldn't like to lessen my enjoyment GOW : R, because I've played every game in the series and I quite like them, I like the story

And your RDR2 analogy is a little silly, because it was a prequel to a game that we already knew the story to, GOW : R isn't a prequel

Why do I get the feeling you are one of these people that just skips the dialog and cutscenes in every game they play

Guilty_AI

And your RDR2 analogy is a little silly, because it was a prequel to a game that we already knew the story to, GOW : R isn't a prequel
But doesn't "knowing what happens" supposedly spoils the story, regardless of how you came to know it? Its not like RDR2 really had any "surprise" to compensate for that either.

Why do I get the feeling you are one of these people that just skips the dialog and cutscenes in every game they play
Dunno, probably the same reason why i feel people who think a good story is consisted of shocks and plotwists never picked up a book in their lives.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

But doesn't "knowing what happens" supposedly spoils the story, regardless of how you came to know it? Its not like RDR2 really had any "surprise" to compensate for that either.

Dunno, probably the same reason why i feel people who think a good story is consisted of shocks and plotwists never picked up a book in their lives.
What books are you reading? The English Dictionary? HTML for Dummies?

Name me one story that doesn't have a single plot twist or shock in it?!?

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Expectations. People wanted to know how the story plays out.
Why are you trying to die on that hill lol?

Non spoilers preview said that GOW Ragnarok is the same game as GOW 2018.
I'm not against to play similar game in terms of game mechanics.
I just want to know is it there GIANT BOSSES or not. Fighting with giant bosses is in the DNA of the brand.
Also the game should be brutal and Kray-c should be more like an actual antihero, not La Papa.
The character with lot of flaws but in the end he must overcome them. Then you have a proper character ark.

Top Bottom