• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights apparently is locked 4k/30fps on consoles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Also not “stanning” for anyone. But keep up the good work with the strawman arguments and projections.

It's very ironic that you're saying I'm using strawman arguments when you, and various other members, are blaming Series S for a completely unrelated issue.

You know .. the very definition of what a strawamn argument is in the first place.

There is nothing stopping the developer from toggling 60 FPS on the other 2 more powerful consoles, which, say it with me one more time, other games have already done, if that were the issue in the first place.

It's very ironic that you're saying I'm using strawman arguments when you, and various other members, are blaming Series S for a completely unrelated issue.
Never blamed the Series S for any unrelated issues. Just that it was a trash fire box/concept. Which it is.
You know .. the very definition of what a strawamn argument is in the first place.

There is nothing stopping the developer from toggling 60 FPS on the other 2 more powerful consoles, which, say it with me one more time, other games have already done, if that were the issue in the first place.
Keep projecting though, warrior.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It was never going to be perfectly linear, I expected there to be some nips and tucks where the XSS is involved. But, outside of playing the game side by side with an XSX for the duration, the final results have been excellent so far. There will always be outliers in both directions.

The remarks we were talking about were this particular dev accusing the XSS of being responsible for the XSX/PS5 running at 30fps, and that realistically isn't possible. Regardless of what bottleneck they hit in XSS that caused them to limit or "hold-back" the game design, the bigger systems would be more capable in all areas. If the XSS was holding back things it would make things easier, not harder for the big boys. The reality is that the XSX/PS5 look to be somewhat maxed out in the given games that have been released on them, diminishing the idea that they have been hamstrung by a weaker box (they are often below 4k or have some fps blips etc.). It's flawed logic to look at a game running at 1440p on XSX/PS5 and think that those consoles could have done more if the XSS wasn't in the picture, at what resolution, 1080p.

Not to say that new tricks won't come along and lead to games getting increasingly better looking as time goes on.
The dev might be talking about next gen games. We have seen the XSS version of the Matrix dip significantly below 533p according to DF. We saw Metro drop to 512p. Is that considered excellent? Two games with ray traced lighting running at PS2 era resolutions? And thats with numerous visual downgrades and in Matrix's case, direct involvement from Coalition manually downgrading each individual visual setting in order to get it to run which will NOT be the case with devs like WB who simply wont be able to get Coalition to come in and optimize the game on their console.

Regardless, there are two different things. 1) Will Series S hold back gaming? i dont think so and I point to Matrix and Metro both target around 1440p on the PS5 and XSX and dip below. 2) Is Series S responsible for this particular game not getting a 60 fps patch? Very likely given the PC minimum specs. For whatever reason, the PC minimum specs are listing a 7 tflops GPU for 60 fps on low settings. That means the bigger consoles should be able to do 60 fps at maybe 1440p or lower with medium settings, but maybe they wanted parity seeing as how this is a coop game.

It's also possible that the RAM bandwidth in the bigger consoles is also causing issues. We have seen several games struggle to hit 60 fps at 1080p despite running it at native 4k 30 fps so clearly the GPU is powerful so the bottleneck must be elsewhere. Maybe the 448 GBps of shared vram on the PS5 and shared split ram that runs as low as 384 GBps wasnt such a good idea after all.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sad story really, to come out with Arkham and then go on a run of critical and financial hits only to have an executive somewhere saying “live service is where the money is” then spend years and years making garbage. This industry has been shackled like no other in the entertainment business, fucking suits go sell stocks dumbasses.

Last edited:

adamsapple

2) Is Series S responsible for this particular game not getting a 60 fps patch? Very likely given the PC minimum specs. For whatever reason, the PC minimum specs are listing a 7 tflops GPU for 60 fps on low settings. That means the bigger consoles should be able to do 60 fps at maybe 1440p or lower with medium settings, but maybe they wanted parity seeing as how this is a coop game

Dying Light 2 has 4 player coop and it works cross-gen, let alone the new consoles with their 30/60 disparity at launch.

I think there's more to it than just that.

DaGwaphics

The dev might be talking about next gen games. We have seen the XSS version of the Matrix dip significantly below 533p according to DF. We saw Metro drop to 512p. Is that considered excellent? Two games with ray traced lighting running at PS2 era resolutions? And thats with numerous visual downgrades and in Matrix's case, direct involvement from Coalition manually downgrading each individual visual setting in order to get it to run which will NOT be the case with devs like WB who simply wont be able to get Coalition to come in and optimize the game on their console.

But again, in both cases the XSX and PS5 are completely hosed by the games as well. The XSS not existing would not have benefited the other consoles in the slightest. Anything added (that the XSS literally couldn't handle) would only make performance worse on XSX/PS5 and they are struggling already.

Also, the Matrix demo looks fantastic on the XSS, one of the most impressive things I've seen on there. Even in comparison to things that are running native 1440p, the final image is what matters. Even Metro looks impressive in most areas (a little blurry in that forest section where the bad drops were).

SlimySnake

Dying Light 2 has 4 player coop and it works cross-gen, let alone the new consoles with their 30/60 disparity at launch.

I think there's more to it than just that.
Dying Light 2 has a 560 for its minimum requirements. A 4 tflops Polaris GPU. a 4tflops RDNA GPU like the series s is 25% faster.

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-9100 / AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti / AMD Radeon™ RX 560 (4GB VRAM)
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
This game requires a 590. a 7 tflops Polaris GPU. At 4tflops the Series S is equivalent to a 5 tflops Polaris GPU or a 570. It is not even equivalent to a 580 which is the 6 tflops GPU that went in the x1x.

Not every game engine is the same which why I said the issue is both with the dev being incompetent and the low specs of the series s.

P.S I believe that they will change their minds and allow 60 fps on bigger consoles if their testing shows crossplay between the two xsx and series s consoles at 30 and 60 fps doesnt have any issues. This could happen in the next couple of days.

Jayjayhd34

Ooooof, pre-order canceled.

This is legitimately the first time I've ever gone the refund route for a pre-order on the PlayStation store.

Let's see how painless this is. Fingers crossed.
It's not bad in my experience they refunded my dying light 2 purchase within 30 mins and had put hour so into it so pre ordered should be fine.

adamsapple

Dying Light 2 has a 560 for its minimum requirements. A 4 tflops Polaris GPU. a 4tflops RDNA GPU like the series s is 25% faster.

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-9100 / AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti / AMD Radeon™ RX 560 (4GB VRAM)
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
This game requires a 590. a 7 tflops Polaris GPU. At 4tflops the Series S is equivalent to a 5 tflops Polaris GPU or a 570. It is not even equivalent to a 580 which is the 6 tflops GPU that went in the x1x.

Not every game engine is the same which why I said the issue is both with the dev being incompetent and the low specs of the series s.

P.S I believe that they will change their minds and allow 60 fps on bigger consoles if their testing shows crossplay between the two xsx and series s consoles at 30 and 60 fps doesnt have any issues. This could happen in the next couple of days.

It's quite literally the only way I'll have any interest in playing this game, that's for sure lol

S0ULZB0URNE

So even you don't believe Gotham Knights' is locked at 30 FPS because of Series S ?

Glad we're on the same page here at least.

Your definitions/usage of both strawman argument and projection are inaccurate here, but ok. 🤷‍♂️
Sgd1nUS.jpg

Take it up with them.

adamsapple

With all of the warriors, muting them is smart right?

He's a developer right?

He's a character artist, but yes he is an employee at Rocksteady, a studio that is not developing this game.

For a negative developer comment about it, you can also find ones from developer saying the opposite.

SlimySnake

He's a character artist, but yes he is an employee at Rocksteady, a studio that is not developing this game.

For a negative developer comment about it, you can also find ones from developer saying the opposite.

Gavin Stevens?? The gaffer? lmao.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
You know how INEXPENSIVE it is to build a GREAT PC rig? No better time to get into the PC market now that GPUs are crashing and the new SKU is coming. 6900xt 600$. It's incredible.
If it’s so cheap you wouldn’t mind helping a brotha out

S0ULZB0URNE

Why does that matter ? Rocksteady aren't making Gotham Knights either ..
He doesn't is the answer but we knew this already.

2020 tweets have nothing to do with what this developer said.
Especially the part that the dev said about MS not letting them launch on one without the other.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
First time I’ve watched a video of this game, and it looks pretty good.

Character models look unimpressive…but environments look great. I don’t know why they can’t just drop resolution, and eliminate some effects on consoles to achieve a better frame rate. Get rid of some assets.
Keep cutting back on things until you hit 60fps.

DaGwaphics

Especially the part that the dev said about MS not letting them launch on one without the other.

It would be a very poor choice to let software release on XSX but skip the XSS. Maybe specialized software like VR or something in the future, but that should remain an absolute no for normal software.

adamsapple

He doesn't is the answer but we knew this already.

2020 tweets have nothing to do with what this developer said.

Why only listen to this dev, who is not working on the game this topic is about, and ignoring the others who are also not working on this game ? Surely there's nothing more to it right ? ;)

Also, the part about games needing to work on both should be a no brainer. There was no game that didn't work on PS4 or XBO after PS4 Pro and Xbox One X launched.

Last edited:
I understand that people are upset that the game is only a paltry 30fps which is admittedly disappointing, but to boycott it if you really to play it seems kind of extreme to me.

Character models look unimpressive…but environments look great. I don’t know why they can’t just drop resolution, and eliminate some effects on consoles to achieve a better frame rate. Get rid of some assets.

That’s what leads me to think it’s something else and not just a simple GPU bottleneck. But it’s hard to speculate on what since no one’s seen much of the game yet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why only listen to this dev, who is not working on the game this topic is about, and ignoring the others who are also not working on this game ? Surely there's nothing more to it right ? ;)

Also, the part about games needing to work on both should be a no brainer. There was no game that didn't work on PS4 or XBO after PS4 Pro and Xbox One X launched.
2 Engine Dev’s from id saying about the same thing (#min specs matter, XSS holding XSX back), but we found a GAF forum dweller that states something different… hey proven this does not have consensus. There. Done ;).

Last edited:

Larxia

A Batman game that you don't play as batman. Who thought this would be a good idea?
But... It's not a Batman game. It doesn't even have Batman in the title.

I really don't understand why this is such a problem. People enjoyed the movie Joker and there's no Batman in it.
There are other characters existing the DC universe outside of Batman, and I think it's really cool to actually finally play some other characters of the bat family since we already had 4 games focused on Batman alone.

It's like complaining anytime a Marvel game doesn't have spider-man playable in it or something.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
WTF, mate? I film with my Sony a7sIII in 4K@24fps, 60fps, and 120fps. And looking through the viewfinder that has 240Hz refresh rate it's insanely smooth that looks near reality. No, people can see way more than that.

The human eye can see at around 60 FPS and potentially a little more. Some humans believe they can see up to 240 FPS, and some testing has been done to prove this. Getting humans to see the difference between something that is 60 FPS and 240 FPS should be rather easy.

superman-joke.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You trying to operate a PC:
v9Dgdpi.jpg

Heartfelt comments and needed in this trying time.

I have a discord group and paper bags ordered from Amazon with rush shipping to breath into. The good part is they double as toilet paper.

They should be able to accommodate some basic settings like performance/graphics modes. Ray tracing isn't an excuse. I have a 4090 coming tomorrow and will likely be turning some of this down since it will hit it hard. Or not but consoles at least don't have to worry about this.

SJRB

Gold Member

Some more gameplay. Completely empty city. The grapple physics are like Just Cause [i.e. grapple to a lower point without any concern for gravity or momentum or something].

FingerBang

I played a few more hours of the game and I think I'm starting to appreciate it now. I do believe there's a big amount of disappointment you have to overcome if you expect some kind of sequel to Arkham Knight, but it's not bad. I just NEVER liked when a single player game gives you an option to choose between different characters. I wish it was a game focused on only one and was a tighter experience.

I played it streaming it to my Steam Deck and I have to say the latency + 30 fps makes it really hard to time your evasion

But... It's not a Batman game. It doesn't even have Batman in the title.

I really don't understand why this is such a problem. People enjoyed the movie Joker and there's no Batman in it.
There are other characters existing the DC universe outside of Batman, and I think it's really cool to actually finally play some other characters of the bat family since we already had 4 games focused on Batman alone.

It's like complaining anytime a Marvel game doesn't have spider-man playable in it or something.
The plot still mostly revolves about Batman, you play in Gotham and deal with his friends and enemies. He's mentioned every other line.

It is a Batman game without Batman, especially because the traversal and gameplay are basically the same.

DragonNCM

That will cost them another 6 months in development & they are running dry......so better launch unfinished game & blame seris S, sort it out after launch....same as Cyberpunk......

Drizzlehell

Banned
I want this to be good but everything tells me it's gonna be a total shit show at launch and yet another game to put off until early adopters play test it and the game is patched & discounted.

Sigh... I hate triple-A market.

Top Bottom