• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Switch 2 be digital only?

If Switch 2 games are more in line with current-gen games, we're looking at significantly larger file sizes than what we're seeing with the current Switch.

I could see the Switch 2 being digital only, with codes sold in cases at retail. I think that is really the only true solution unless we're going to see games that are still very cut down like Hogwarts Legacy on the current switch which is a ten the size as the next-gen variants.

Otherwise, I think they would need 128gb cartridges as a general standard. I wonder if docked the next Switch will maintain a cap of 1080p rather than 4K.

Deerock71

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Xyphie

Physical but most/all games will have to be installed to internal/user-expandable UFS storage. Shipping games on 50-100GB 1.2-2.4GB/s carts will simply be too expensive, so many games will opt for the cart being a "digital key" to download the game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely not, I’d at least be very very surprised if it is.

I can see a lot of 3rd parties going digital only, but the biggest game Nintendo has ever made on Switch is TotK at 18.2GB. So even if they go up to 3x that their games won’t be very large compared to the rest.

I think the cart sizes will be a big issue with the next handheld, so I really don't know what kind of options they have. Maybe they come up with some sort of Amiibo type thing where you have to download the game digitally, but you use a physical object to actually unlock and play it. Maybe do something like Mario coins so that they are still portable.

Hudo

No. The question is rather how they handle memory expansion. Do they allow for an NVMe SSD to be inserted by the user like the Steam Deck (lol, no. It's Nintendo). Or will they push the user to expand memory via external SD cards (probably) or will they go the Sony route of trying to push some proprietary bullshit that is overpriced (hopefully not).

mystech

Some leakers said there may be a digital only version that sells along side a physical version for a little cheaper. I can definitely see that being a possibility but not digital only.

For game carts, they will for sure use a new larger model and for internal storage I don’t think it’s too much to ask for 512gb standard.

The Switch 2 is also coming out 4 years after the PS5 / SX so perhaps in that time Nintendo / Nvidia could have developed a more efficient compression system to get games a little smaller.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don’t think so.
But I also think that third parties will be much, much less willing to invest in physical versions of their games for Switch 2, and this will be a strong push towards an all-digital Switch 3 or whatever comes next. Not even Nintendo can fight the digital future alone.
If they implemented a way to redeem a digital copy of your physical games on Switch 2 that carries over on future hardware through your Nintendo account that would make the transition smoother. But I don‘t expect Nintendo to be that generous.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If Switch 2 games are more in line with current-gen games, we're looking at significantly larger file sizes than what we're seeing with the current Switch.

I could see the Switch 2 being digital only, with codes sold in cases at retail. I think that is really the only true solution unless we're going to see games that are still very cut down like Hogwarts Legacy on the current switch which is a ten the size as the next-gen variants.

Otherwise, I think they would need 128gb cartridges as a general standard. I wonder if docked the next Switch will maintain a cap of 1080p rather than 4K.
Maybe. But somehow I think we're focusing on the wrong things..

blacktout

I think that is really the only true solution unless we're going to see games that are still very cut down like Hogwarts Legacy on the current switch which is a ten the size as the next-gen variants.

You're assuming they use the same cartridge format and not one that lets them produce higher capacity carts at a lower price. There have been a lot of innovations in storage in the last seven years.

Not to mention that Nintendo has, as far as I know, never carried the same format across multiple generations of their cartridge-based systems.

They can provide publishers/developers with various game card options of 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. As for an expensive 128GB game card option, I don't think there's a need for it if the hardware power will be slightly higher than that of the PS4 (not accounting DLSS), instead the devs will tailor the game assets to fit the screen resolution of the Switch 2 (720-800p handhelnd and 1080-1440p in docked) and the system's memory like they're currently doing with the Switch.

Also to answer your OP. NO, there's no world where the Switch 2, a Nintendo system releasing next year, will be digital only when more than 50% of full game sales on the current Switch are still physical only.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I bet there will be a physical option(if its not the only one) but im interested to see how they handle this.

For most PS4 like games 64GB would be enough, but i wonder if even that is cheap enough these days

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Throwing snowballs in a cold Nintendo Hell if that were the case. Physical games on Nintendo held retail for certain titles over 5-years with barely any cut and were still selling. Even with the release of the lite and Oled models; you still had games people were willing to pay for an compatible. They'll certainly increase internal storage but not to shift to digital only. Poll may have helped with this OP too to give you an idea since a good percentage of the forum own (s) one or all 3 versions of Switch. That'd given an idea at least based on the current for the record.

Red5

Adding large capacity SSD's into the Switch 2 will jack up the price beyond what Nintendo might be targeting. Cards puts the storage price on the customer.

Throwing snowballs in a cold Nintendo Hell if that were the case. Physical games on Nintendo held retail for certain titles over 5-years with barely any cut and were still selling. Even with the release of the lite and Oled models; you still had games people were willing to pay for an compatible. They'll certainly increase internal storage but not to shift to digital only. Poll may have helped with this OP too to give you an idea since a good percentage of the forum own (s) one or all 3 versions of Switch. That'd given an idea at least based on the current for the record.

The question isn't what is someone's preference, rather whether carts are simply too expensive for Nintendo to move forward to higher-end games.

Not surprised, but that's the reality people entirely ignored because they don't like to think these things through from a strategic point of view.

You have a console where games could easily average 100gb or more requiring 128gb plus carts. Are they going to just eat those margins or are they going to increase the price of games?

They can provide publishers/developers with various game card options of 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. As for an expensive 128GB game card option, I don't think there's a need for it if the hardware power will be slightly higher than that of the PS4 (not accounting DLSS), instead the devs will tailor the game assets to fit the screen resolution of the Switch 2 (720-800p handhelnd and 1080-1440p in docked) and the system's memory like they're currently doing with the Switch.

Also to answer your OP. NO, there's no world where the Switch 2, a Nintendo system releasing next year, will be digital only when more than 50% of full game sales on the current Switch are still physical only.

There is no world in which games at the level of a PS4 are going to be 8gb in size nor is there a world in which these assets look good in 1440p if they're so utterly compressed.

Also, you're conflating selling in retail with being physical. You can sell digital codes at retail just as easily, they can even sell it in a case. That's not even new.

There is no world in which games at the level of a PS4 are going to be 8gb in size nor is there a world in which these assets look good in 1440p if they're so utterly compressed.

Also, you're conflating selling in retail with being physical. You can sell digital codes at retail just as easily, they can even sell it in a case. That's not even new.
You didn't even read my post properly, devs will pick which game card they see fit. If it's a big sized multi-platform game they'll use a 64GB one and author the assets to fit the Switch 2 specs/needs. The rest of the carts are there as options if they want to go lower than that and push mandatory downloads like they currently do for certain 3rd party games.

As for the second point, what are you even trying to say there? Hardly anyone are buying those digital codes in a box. Most of the physical sales are actual games on cartridges since 1st party Nintendo software represents the lion share of it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The question isn't what is someone's preference, rather whether carts are simply too expensive for Nintendo to move forward to higher-end games.

Not surprised, but that's the reality people entirely ignored because they don't like to think these things through from a strategic point of view.

You have a console where games could easily average 100gb or more requiring 128gb plus carts. Are they going to just eat those margins or are they going to increase the price of games?
I like to own my games and so do many others. I've been buying Nintendo games since 3rd gen new. Consider 5th gen Super Mario 64. Know how much millions paid for it day 1? $60 + tax. Now we're in 2023 with inflation and it's somewhere around $70/$75...I'm an adult, I make the money. If I had children, I'd have enough for them too. Dropping the price down to $40 just to have it on a hard drive or cloud storage just isn't going to work for Nintendo's marketing and nor will it for their audience.

Therefore, that could all just be my bias but open a poll in OP and why not find out with data?

You're assuming they use the same cartridge format and not one that lets them produce higher capacity carts at a lower price. There have been a lot of innovations in storage in the last seven years.

Not to mention that Nintendo has, as far as I know, never carried the same format across multiple generations of their cartridge-based systems.

There isn't any 128gb storage on the planet, that is cheap enough to produce that isn't going to be more expensive than what they're producing now.

SD Cards are as ubiquitous as they come in terms of mass production and they're still going to run you at least 10 dollars a pop.

If I sell my 3rd party game and 15% goes to the retail, and 15% goes to Nintendo, and 10 dollars goes to the storage medium... how much do I get from the game?

60 dollar game, that's 10 dollars for storage, 9 dollars for retail, and 9 dollars for Nintendo. That's 32 dollars per unit and that assumes that I don't drop the price, which to move remaining units you absolutely have to do. Games generally drop to 30 dollars, and you're not making anything off that game. Meaning Switch 2 games, probably can't drop to less than 50 or 40 dollars, meaning they'll sell fewer units.

Ultimately, I think you'll see whether Nintendo mandates digital only, 3rd parties are going to have a digital-only strategy for most games.

You didn't even read my post properly, devs will pick which game card they see fit. If it's a big sized multi-platform game they'll use a 64GB one and author the assets to fit the Switch 2 specs/needs. The rest of the carts are there as options if they want to go lower than that and push mandatory downloads like they currently do for certain 3rd party games.

As for the second point, what are you even try to say there? Hardly anyone are buying those digital codes in a box. Most of the physical sales are actual games on cartridges since 1st party Nintendo software is the lion share of it.

I read it, you simply have come to the conclusion that you're going to see PS4-quality games at an upward limit of 64 GB when we're already seeing Switch games that push that limit and these are going to be ports of PS5/XBS games.

I love when someone says something that is not standard today won't be standard tomorrow because it isn't standard now... It's a super lazy argument.

Unless your argument is that they're going to continue Switch 1 style ports because of physical restrictions of Switch 2 game media, I'm not sure where your argument is rooted.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Fuck no if it is.
That will be the first nintendo console i will refuse to get.

Non stop
That'd be the equivalent of celling Nintendo games through App store or Google Play. If you're going for a handheld that can sync to a TV but only has digital games; most would just opt for a cell phone. Nintendo has a far higher rep than that and this would totally miss their target. If people thought the WiiU bombed...what if...digital.

blacktout

SD Cards are as ubiquitous as they come in terms of mass production and they're still going to run you at least 10 dollars a pop.

Their current cartridges are reportedly quite expensive to produce, which is why you basically never see the 64 GB carts used and very rarely see the 32GB ones, so you could still see a storage solution that is larger *and* cheaper than the current carts while still being markedly more expensive than bluray discs.

Also, if you, as a consumer, are paying $10 on average for a 128 GB micro SD card, manufacturers are paying way, way less, so there's no reason to believe Nintendo would be paying anywhere close to $10/cart when they're producing tens of millions of them.

Last edited:
I read it, you simply have come to the conclusion that you're going to see PS4-quality games at an upward limit of 64 GB when we're already seeing Switch games that push that limit and these are going to be ports of PS5/XBS games.

I love when someone says something that is not standard today won't be standard tomorrow because it isn't standard now... It's a super lazy argument.

Unless your argument is that they're going to continue Switch 1 style ports because of physical restrictions of Switch 2 game media, I'm not sure where your argument is rooted.
Which current Switch games are pushing that limit of 64GB? Please go ahead and list them here because I'm very curious. And like I said, devs/pubs can use smaller carts and force mandatory downloads on the console itself like so many big 3rd party Switch games are currently doing.

And I will reiterate, there is no world where Nintendo will drop physical with their next system that's releasing in 2024 and I don't see why I should argue otherwise. Your arguments in favor of a digital only Nintendo console are very weak as they are.

Their current cartridges are reportedly quite expensive to produce, which is why you basically never see the 64 GB carts used and very rarely see the 32GB ones, so you could still see a storage solution that is larger *and* cheaper than the current carts while still being markedly more expensive than bluray discs.

Also, if you, as a consumer, are paying $10 on average for a 128 GB micro SD card, manufacturers are paying way, way less, so there's no reason to believe Nintendo would be paying anywhere close to $10/cart when they're producing tens of millions of them.
He knows nothing about how Nintendo operates and he's mostly arguing in bad faith with made up numbers that fits his flawed argument. I'm actually going to put this thread on ignore because the OP is always so annoying to reason with.

Last edited:
Which current Switch games are pushing that limit of 64GB? Please go ahead and list them here because I'm very curious. And like I said, devs/pubs can use smaller carts and force mandatory downloads on the console itself like so many big 3rd party Switch games are currently doing.

And I will reiterate, there is no world where Nintendo will drop physical with their next system that's releasing in 2024 and I don't see why I should argue otherwise. Your arguments in favor of a digital only Nintendo console are very weak as they are.

NBA 2K23 is 55gb on Switch AND you have to buy an sd card to play it... It's not the only game that requires one.

At the point of requiring mandatory downloads, there isn't a ton of value in producing a cartridge at all.

Your argument is to ignore that PS4-like ports of PS5 and XSX games won't require significantly more expensive carts, or that they'll have carts and be digital in all but name.

NBA 2K23 is 55gb on Switch AND you have to buy an sd card to play it... It's not the only game that requires one.

At the point of requiring mandatory downloads, there isn't a ton of value in producing a cartridge at all.

Your argument is to ignore that PS4-like ports of PS5 and XSX games won't require significantly more expensive carts, or that they'll have carts and be digital in all but name.
So it's not 64GB. Got it.

Top Bottom