• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8K The future (or the past?)

Not needed.

Unpopular around here for the graphics whores, but 4k for gaming I still belive is holding graphics back. Our Gen 9 systems are not strong enough for consistant 4k 60, and even if they were, the price for the graphics content is too large, storage too much. They should of incremented up to 2k as a base and upscaled as needed. Less on resolution, more on effects and actual presentation. More content, more storage optmization instead of having games at the 100gb+ in size range.

Of course I say this, I am still on 1080p and don't plan to change anytime soon. I refuse to throw away/git rid of a perfectly good ips tv with tons of inputs.

I still play retro games, ps1 wii, gc, ps2, ps3, xbOG, xb360, steam deck, steam link etc...
1080p sets look better for older content. Until tvs have built in good upscalers at a reasonable price, this will always be the case.
Older tvs have more inputs component, composite, svideo, vga, and multiple hdmis, my 55" has 4 hdmi, with a selector box that is 6 different hdmi ports.

To me having more ports and having a resolution that still looks acceptable for sd content is more important. I also still watch DVDs. Not getting rid of 100s of movies and streaming isn't really an option, it was when it was 2 companies, but now its fragmented into multiple subs, so its like buying cable, nah...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
FF14 at 8K on a 4090 = no problem
Persona 5 Royal at 8K on a 4090 = no problem

It's doable today and there's content today y'all

I find it hard to get a TV provider to even do 4k Content. And streaming 4k is not noticeably better than 1080p due to the compression. And when you want to watch 4k you have to find a special 4K channel for some stuff. I had 4k YTTV for a bit and it would many times revert back to 1080p or 720p stream. And I have more than enough bandwidth in my house to handle the stream.

SoloCamo

It's so tiresome. It's always been doable, now even more so. I had zero problems in 2014 playing games at 4k maxed out, as long as I was realistic about which game could do so and that was on a 4gb 290X. If you go in expecting to max the next graphical blockbuster on current hardware at the highest res of course you'll be disappointed. The good news is games can be revisited just like me playing 22 year old Morrowind fully modded graphically at 4k. I assure you, the game experience is much better now than 22 years ago.

YCoCg

It's so tiresome. It's always been doable, now even more so. I had zero problems in 2014 playing games at 4k maxed out, as long as I was realistic about which game could do so and that was on a 4gb 290X. If you go in expecting to max the next graphical blockbuster on current hardware at the highest res of course you'll be disappointed. The good news is games can be revisited just like me playing 22 year old Morrowind fully modded graphically at 4k. I assure you, the game experience is much better now than 22 years ago.
Nobodies getting an 8k TV to play Hotline Miami or Persona games.

Elysium44

Banned
Roughly ten years ago people said similar things about 4K, (you don't need it, people don't see the difference, etc..)

Those people were right. It's hardly any better than 1080p unless the screen is gigantic and you're sitting right on top of it. A tiny improvement in image quality for a gigantic increase in power consumption and GPU resources. We should never have done it.

I'm still surprised 4K blu-rays are being sold, I imagine hardly anybody buys those things.

Last edited:

Bojji

Not needed.

Unpopular around here for the graphics whores, but 4k for gaming I still belive is holding graphics back. Our Gen 9 systems are not strong enough for consistant 4k 60, and even if they were, the price for the graphics content is too large, storage too much. They should of incremented up to 2k as a base and upscaled as needed. Less on resolution, more on effects and actual presentation. More content, more storage optmization instead of having games at the 100gb+ in size range.

Of course I say this, I am still on 1080p and don't plan to change anytime soon. I refuse to throw away/git rid of a perfectly good ips tv with tons of inputs.

I still play retro games, ps1 wii, gc, ps2, ps3, xbOG, xb360, steam deck, steam link etc...
1080p sets look better for older content. Until tvs have built in good upscalers at a reasonable price, this will always be the case.
Older tvs have more inputs component, composite, svideo, vga, and multiple hdmis, my 55" has 4 hdmi, with a selector box that is 6 different hdmi ports.

To me having more ports and having a resolution that still looks acceptable for sd content is more important. I also still watch DVDs. Not getting rid of 100s of movies and streaming isn't really an option, it was when it was 2 companies, but now its fragmented into multiple subs, so its like buying cable, nah...

There are very few games on consoles that are native 4k and 60fps.

Most games are 1440p but 1080p or even 720p are not uncommon. "4k" advertisement from console makers means nothing to developers. So "4k" does not hold anything back as it's not required.

All those pixels, but manufacturers still using decades old electronics to drive them. ONLY 1 HDMI port with full features? Get the F out of here with your 8K, give me useful features instead but some money and invest into the boards that actually drive your pixels. Ya dinks.

There's literally a handful of games that support natively, without going into the .ini files and manually doing it.

Forget it when it comes to other media. Literally no movies or TV shows.

Mass adoption of new tech in the A/V space won't happen until there's a variety of content to support it.

We've not even fully adopted 4K yet, as we speak. 1080p is still the common resolution on PC, since you brought in the 4090 power envelope into the equation.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I'm going to be the odd one out here. Admittedly I bought my 8k panel due to its luminance specs and for 4k viewing, as the top tier LCD panels at the time were only with an 8k panel. However, having lived with it a for a couple of years now, I'd hate to give up the 8k upscale that it applies to my 4k content. Whenever I go to view other TV's, I immediately notice they don't look quite as detailed.

So, yes I would buy another 8k Tv and no regrets. But its for the extra pixel density at larger panel size and what it does for my 4k viewing. I wouldn't be buying one to watch 8k.

Lokaum D+

Depends on your room space and viewing distance, and most importantly, the content you're consuming?

I mean, let's not get to IGN/Destin Legarie levels of A/V expertise here.
well, if u really have a huge room, u probably have money to buy a really good 4k projector, for 90% of ppl ( or even less ) i think 75" is already an overkill in screen size.

SoloCamo

Nobodies getting an 8k TV to play Hotline Miami or Persona games.

I'll just go back to Stardew Valley at 4k, nothing beats a clean, crisp image for those art styles. I really don't think a lot of the naysayers have really experienced a solid 4k / 60 experience on a good monitor or tv. Going back to 1080p bothers me with the aliasing, especially on anything bigger than a 22" monitor or so. AA helps but most these days are just blur fests.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I'll just go back to Stardew Valley at 4k, nothing beats a clean, crisp image for those art styles. I really don't think a lot of the naysayers have really experienced a solid 4k / 60 experience on a good monitor or tv. Going back to 1080p bothers me with the aliasing, especially on anything bigger than a 22" monitor or so.

Are you young or do you forget how it used to be a few decades ago? We used to game on CRTs and if a game had aliasing and it really bothered us (usually not), we turned antialiasing on. Games were 640x480. On PC for years people gamed at 800x600 and then 1024x768. Nobody cried like people do today.

Then Xbox 360 came and gave us a revolution, HD 720p. The next gen gave us 1080p. It's still perfectly good enough for 99% of people. You really think it isn't a high enough res for a 23" screen? Use antialiasing or DSR if it truly upsets you.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I'll just go back to Stardew Valley at 4k, nothing beats a clean, crisp image for those art styles. I really don't think a lot of the naysayers have really experienced a solid 4k / 60 experience on a good monitor or tv. Going back to 1080p bothers me with the aliasing, especially on anything bigger than a 22" monitor or so. AA helps but most these days are just blur fests.
You've just proved the point though, if people with 4k TV aren't even enjoying the full 4k60 majority of the time, what use is 8k going to be when all that will do is make 4k look worse.

8K is never going to take off due to lack of content, and the content isn't coming. Movies and TV shows are going to max out at 4K and that's because most movies are still filmed on 35MM film and there's no more detail you can pull from a 35MM scan higher than 5K. As a result 4K has become the standard for all film archiving in Hollywood.
Not to mention the storage price for 8k... I can't even fathom. We have games coming in now at 250gb (some cod games and such) and many at 100gb+ Thats all for 4k content. Same game on 1080p would be 40-50gb. For 720p many were only 9gb with some multi-disc at 20gb or so.

8k would have 500gb games and 400gb movies? The bandwidth on streaming isn't there and hard drive space is limited.

SoloCamo

Are you young or do you forget how it used to be a few decades ago? We used to game on CRTs and if a game had aliasing and it really bothered us (usually not), we turned antialiasing on. Games were 640x480. On PC for years people gamed at 800x600 and then 1024x768. Nobody cried like people do today.

Then Xbox 360 came and gave us a revolution, HD 720p. The next gen gave us 1080p. It's still perfectly good enough for 99% of people. You really think it isn't a high enough res for a 23" screen? Use antialiasing or DSR if it truly upsets you.

If only, I'm just shy of 40. I started PC gaming in the 90's, and I've had plenty of big old CRT's that had me praying to the desk gods to hold the beast one more day. I'm fully aware of AA as "jaggies" were always my biggest visual gripe. aside from muddy textures that is. The problem is standard AA is never implemented in newer titles, it's always some blurry form of it which kills visuals especially at lower resolutions. CRT's also handled resolution far better than current monitors do as they do not have the sames issue when changing resolution from non native.

*Time to insert the random and always bad car comparison*

"Most people" is always a bad analogy to me. Most people haven't experienced a proper sports but that doesn't change the merits of said sports car and what it offers.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
a high end PC would struggle to run games on 8k, let alone a console.
And it makes your game blurrier as well.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ya'll are thinking too small. We are just a few TV generations away from something thin and light enough to just stick across entire walls as a giant virtual screen, gonna need a high resolution for those. Another innovation will be AI that watches your eyes and only ups the resolution of where you are focusing, "dynamic resolution boosting" to conserve bandwidth and power of the whole display. Then the race will be to see home many different sets of eyes an AI can manage.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There's literally a handful of games that support natively, without going into the .ini files and manually doing it.
Sure about that? When I tried super sampling on my 4k screen there were some games accepting 8k as option. I can imagine several other giving 8k as option without tweaking.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
8K will forever be the purview of people who have 80+ inch displays. There's not much point otherwise.

It's the same way phone displays capped out at QHD/1440p. They can and have made denser displays and even launched some phones with them, but they turned out not to be a selling point because people can't really see the difference in normal use cases.

Elysium44

Banned
1280x720 was a revolution with PC monitors already giving 1280x960 or more in the 90s?

I mean for console of course. The Xbox 360 came just after the PS2 (which IIRC didn't even do a true 640x480 but something internally lower) and OG Xbox. Most PC gamers in the 90s and early 2000s (I was one) were certainly not gaming at 1280x960, most people didn't have monitors which were that high res or a powerful enough GPU to get a decent frame rate even if they did.

What the 360 'HD' generation brought us was mainstream widescreen gaming. Up until then, most games were designed for 4:3 screens which most people's monitors were.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is the cable technology out there to do 8k at 60 fps? Or even 120? Not that anything could really do that anyways but eventually something will

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I mean for console of course. The Xbox 360 came just after the PS2 (which IIRC didn't even do a true 640x480 but something internally lower) and OG Xbox. Most PC gamers in the 90s and early 2000s (I was one) were certainly not gaming at 1280x960, most people didn't have monitors which were that high res or a powerful enough GPU to get a decent frame rate even if they did.

What the 360 'HD' generation brought us was mainstream widescreen gaming. Up until then, most games were designed for 4:3 screens which most people's monitors were.
Bla bla bla consoles bla bla bla mainstream... Those are irrelevant. Just like 8k gaming on PC is already a reality.

Last edited:
To those saying the difference between 4K and 8k is imperceptible, where did you demo both TV’s side by side displaying native content?

That's the point: there's no native content available in 8K

35mm film tops out at 4K, Digital Intermediates are locked at 4K with VFX locked at 2K

You could make an 8K version of the handful of 65mm movies made in the past, but then the whole Hollywood industry would have to change. When that happens we will be all dead anyway

Celcius

°Temp. member
I feel like two different groups of people are being discussed in this thread:

Group 1: The average consumer
Group 2: PC gaming enthusiasts

Most people, if you ask your spouse to look at the TV and tell if it's 1080p or 4K then they don't even care.
But 8K gaming is possible today with either hdmi 2.1 or downsampling and there are people (albeit, a small group) who are do care.

SoloCamo

=
The vast majority of the people of planet earth don't buy a large big size TV to play old videogames at 8K, Sorry

The vast majority of people matter for this
sZDJ9Hu.png
market why again? This is déjà vu all over again. Things take time to become mainstream. 1080p got the same treatment when 720p was the big thing, 1440p has always been PC centric and 4k got the same comments as well...

Why are you thinking about the present and not the future?

Most people said the same thing when the PS4 Pro launched about 4k, now look at the 4k content.

Again, there's no possible CONTENT in 8K

No movie, no TV show and even AAA Games in 8K are a pipedream

TV/movie Content has to be SHOT/MASTERED and Distributed that way

That's a completely different situation compared to the 1080p->4K Jump.

And even for 4K content providers had to create the HDR video standard to make the difference stand-out

Last edited:
Top Bottom