• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is reportedly bringing instantly playable online games to YouTube

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Stadia, Google's most recent high-profile foray into gaming, might have been notable flop, but the company isn't giving up on games just yet; the Wall Street Journal is reporting Google is now looking to incorporate playable online games into YouTube.

The initiative - which Google is reportedly branding Playables - will enable users to instantly play online games via YouTube's website or via its mobile apps on iOS and Android.

Citing an email sent to Google employees, The Wall Street Journal says the project is currently being testing internally, and that staff are now being invited to participate in the process.

Only one available title, Stack Bounce - a casual arcade game challenging players to smash horizontally stacked bricks with a ball - was highlighted in the publication's report.

The Playables project is said to be part of YouTube CEO's Neal Mohan push to find new areas of growth in the wake of declining advertising spending.

Robb

Gold Member
Ah yes.. Can’t wait to get an ad window saying “Subscribe to Playables and play it right now” every single time I watch a YouTube video about a game in the future..
kill me now barney stinson GIF

Last edited:

NoobSmog

I think this would actually be a lot more interesting if their game streaming was on par with twitch. Could be something like, streaming fall guys and filling up a lobby with people from chat. They need to make a functional theater mode first though, ffs, how hard can that possibly be.

Three

Didn't they already try this with assassin's creed? Wasn't there a whole presentation about dropping in and instantly playing after a trailer or while someone is streaming
I think the difference here is that it's mobile games that would be native with some local framework.

xrnzaaas

Stadia should've started with the Youtube branding in the first place, it would have better chances and people wouldn't have to invest in something they don't know. They also need to avoid making the same mistakes again if they're planning to offer bigger games:
- There needs to be an extensive free version to make people interested in playing the games through youtube.
- Make the paid version a part of YT Premium's offerings.
- Don't force people to buy the games used only for streaming.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Stadia always had potential as a tech but it was dumb to position is as a console alternative with a console business model.

I always said the real potential was for social or eSports titles where you could merge streaming and playing into one frictionless experience.

This sounds like a baby step in the right direction anyway.

VN1X

Banned
I thought this was part of Stadia?

I mean it never came to fruition apparently as I never saw the option available but err... weird.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If its free... Otherwise... Giving the trackrecord of shutting down stuff...
Deja vu

Now that they have announced it, such an idea makes me wonder why this wasn't the initial path instead of Stadia. Everything happens in steps though, so of course it sounds like a better idea now, when we've already had Stadia as another stepping stone to this concept of "instantaneous gaming". I'm open to it, but like everything else, the market will ultimately decide, or split if necessary.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Now that they have announced it, such an idea makes me wonder why this wasn't the initial path instead of Stadia. Everything happens in steps though, so of course it sounds like a better idea now, when we've already had Stadia as another stepping stone to this concept of "instantaneous gaming". I'm open to it, but like everything else, the market will ultimately decide, or split if necessary.
probably because the stadia team was staffed by people with previous console launch experience.

It was weird how in the early showings of Stadia they talked about stuff like a streamer showing a cool part of a game and letting you jump right into it, and then obviously there was none of that, ever, with Stadia.

YouTube TV is great quality/channels/price service. Games and music they're lacking though.
I liked YTV for a long time, but they're simultaneously removing channels and raising the price lately. And it shit the bed twice during the NBA playoffs while they're also doing Sunday Ticket/NFL for this fall.

Kdad

Why do they keep trying to make YouTube everything it's not? It sucks as a music service (how I miss GPM), it will suck as a gaming service. Just let it be a video service.
You'd think the would learn from Apple....iTunes became a bloated fucking mess....

Last edited:
My problem with Stadia is that it was asking me to pay to stream games that I have to buy. Gamepass had the right idea where the sub itself comes with the games. Also, I know you graphics whores constantly poopoo'd how games look over streaming but when my GPU died I rather enjoyed trying the RE Village demo that ran through Stadia.

Why do they keep trying to make YouTube everything it's not? It sucks as a music service (how I miss GPM), it will suck as a gaming service. Just let it be a video service.

Because they don't have anyone onboard smart enough to either make money with Youtube, or reduce costs that are accruing because they keep trying to bandage leaks in their infrastructure. They have been trying to push Youtube TV sub to replace your netflix and roku forever now. They even have some movies they have the rights to available for free (with ads) to get people to sign up.

Top Bottom