• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Deepmind announces Genie, the first generative interactive environment model

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Stuff that sucks in games:

- Procedural generation
Minecraft is legitimately one of the greatest games of the past two decades... so not all procedural gaming is bad.

AI-powered procedural (algorithmic + probabilistic generation) could be incredible for something like Minecraft. You could even have Dwarf-Fortress level narratives unfolding inside your world, but with truly infinite variation due to using a combination of today's algorithmic approaches and an AI-powered model driving it on top to create actors with agendas, cohesive narratives, etc.

Hugare

AI will help with some intern/junior level work, but we wont see games fully developed in AI. If so, they will suck.

I doubt that AI would be able to make games like the best we have in the industry today. It can mix stuff in order to generate something new, but come up with something truly groundbreaking? Nah

Like I said before, if you asked an AI to come up with the next Scorcese movie, I doubt that it would have generated "Killers From The Flower Moon". Great auteurs wont be replicated.

WitchHunter

Banned

They have only showcased very simple 2D platformers for now, but looking at the rapid development of, for example, image generators, I think the video game industry could be turned upside down in the near future.
Google as your foundational framework is like wearing a cilice or having NVidia as your gpu supplier.

Stuff that sucks in games:

- Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V assets
- AI art
- Procedural generation
- Real life face scans for game characters

Unfortunately some or all of this crap is in games. And unfortunately this is the future.
That's why they will close this as they closed Stadia.

See, here is the trick; by borrowing designs from literally EVERYTHING, no one person can sue. By stealing everyone's art, it becomes nobody's art.

You can only sue if you feel they stole your stuff. But if your stuff is only a tiny fraction of the output then there is no ground for suing.

You are going to sue them for stealing from the entirety of humanity?
Yeah, and why is that good for you? Why do you publicly support this atrocity?

KXVXII9X

AI will help with some intern/junior level work, but we wont see games fully developed in AI. If so, they will suck.

I doubt that AI would be able to make games like the best we have in the industry today. It can mix stuff in order to generate something new, but come up with something truly groundbreaking? Nah

Like I said before, if you asked an AI to come up with the next Scorcese movie, I doubt that it would have generated "Killers From The Flower Moon". Great auteurs wont be replicated.
You Get Me Yes GIF by Tristen J. Winger

Well said!

platina

Soon we will be having 1000's of the same games releasing every week.
Sequels that are just the same with an asset flip.
Then entice you with a subscription model that collates all these games together.
Diminishing the true value of games themselves.

Wait...this feels familiar.
I’m ok with this. With today’s dogshit woke selections of indie and high budget games this could be a breath of fresh air for a while.

Yeah, and why is that good for you? Why do you publicly support this atrocity?
Because if you successfully ban it, you ban all art of any kind for ever and ever. That is the logic of "one pixel is enough to sue".

You seriously want the "2 seconds of music is enough to be copyrighted" situation?

Last edited:

sachos

Holy shit, we were talking about something like this just 10 days ago in the OpenAI Sora thread. It seems trully posible that in the future once these models can run in real time we could have "infinite" instant video game generation, it is trully insane when you sit and really think about it. Instant windows to infinite interactive worlds.
What i still can't imagine is how they would make it so the AI has a couple of rules to govern the overall game/gameplay so it never changes into anything different but im sure the geniuses behind all this incredible progress can figure something out, i would never say never in the face of rapid progress we are seeing right now.
But i agree, great artists in my opinion will still be king. Yeah, we will have 10000's of generated garbage but think about the HUGE power a true artist has with tools like these, what can someone with the creativity of Kojima do with this stuff?

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It took like 5 mins for this tech to blow super expensive hollywood CGI out of the water. Only a matter of time before I’m making a waifu game to my specific tastes.

in additional to benig racist, google AI will also steal copyrighted material!!

what can go wrong???
It is people like you that made us unable to hear a proper version of "Happy Birthday" until 8 years ago. And what made Youtube demonetize people for seconds of music. You need to consider what you are actually ASKING. Do you want your child's first doodle on paper with crayon to be copyright infringing to multiple artists because the child used the same shade of purple in one corner of the frame?

Last edited:

Of course. It will probably end up replacing entertainment products that were already quite hacky and designed by corporate committee. It’ll be great at generating things like lifetime/hallmark movies. Theres a ton of games/movies that get released that have no real artistic value. And it will replace those.

Raonak

Banned
Very cool tech, I honestly can't wait for the end point of being able to generate games from ideas.

only in my wildest dreams could I imagine that such a thing could exist, and look, we're almost there.

Slimboy Fat

Certain games are surely more susceptible to automation than others. The probability models will have a comparatively easy time with creatively bankrupt franchises such as Fifa, Madden, AssCreed, CoD etc.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

By 2035-2040, ALL of our media content will basically be created in realtime per individual, algorithmically based off of your personal preferences.

Wanna watch a full movie where Popeye pilots an Evangelion and saves the multiverse, but you only have 45 minutes? No problem. Want to play a first-person immersive sim where you’re Grimace fighting all of the kids from The Goonies as act bosses? Easy.

This will happen with audiobooks in the next 3-5 years, guaranteed. Music probably in the next 5-7 years. Movies and games in 8-15 years. And if history has taught us anything, those estimates are probably even too long.

Like it or not, we’re approaching Wall-E, only without all of the cool space travel.
I too have had this exact idea bouncing around in my head for years.

Top Bottom