• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Deepmind announces Genie, the first generative interactive environment model

ThisIsMyDog

They have only showcased very simple 2D platformers for now, but looking at the rapid development of, for example, image generators, I think the video game industry could be turned upside down in the near future.

10Xwm4a.gif
Va5xFyM.gif

StereoVsn

I can see copyright claims incoming stat.

Genie is trained from a large dataset of publicly available Internet videos. We focus on videos of 2D platformer games and robotics”.

While the premise seems interesting, the whole training bit on “publicly available “ videos seems sketchy. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Aces High

Genie is trained from a large dataset of publicly available Internet videos. We focus on videos of 2D platformer games and robotics”.

While the premise seems interesting, the whole training bit on “publicly available “ videos seems sketchy. Will be interesting to see what happens.
By that logic, only people who never played a single video game in their entire life can be devs.

It's cool stuff, but real time interactivity in genAI is still pretty far off I think. I do imagine it won't take more than a few years and we'll be designing only the wireframes and letting AI fill the rest with guidance. That's massive for a lot of smaller devs. Of course it means there's going to be a glut of low effort stuff, but frankly that's already the case, and has been for a long time. The challenge is separating the wheat from all the chaff.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

It's cool stuff, but real time interactivity in genAI is still pretty far off I think. I do imagine it won't take more than a few years and we'll be designing only the wireframes and letting AI fill the rest with guidance. That's massive for a lot of smaller devs. Of course it means there's going to be a glut of low effort stuff, but frankly that's already the case, and has been for a long time. The challenge is separating the wheat from all the chaff.
In 20 years you'll just download an app and give it the prompt: "make a finished version of Hollow Knight Silksong"

Why would anyone get invested in anything Google is doing? They used to have a great search engine and they have a good email application. They've really not done anything more than that. They're basically an overvalued Yahoo.

ThisIsMyDog

Why would anyone get invested in anything Google is doing? They used to have a great search engine and they have a good email application. They've really not done anything more than that. They're basically an overvalued Yahoo.
Google is not going to be the only company developing models like this.

Last edited:

Hudo

Nice but afaik, their Gemini LLM/VLM is still not in a condition people would like it to be. Maybe they should focus on that first.

intbal

It will be interesting to see how Tim Soret (The Last Night, one of the world's leading advocates for AI) will react when somebody enters some text prompts and completes a game that looks exactly like his a year before his infinitely delayed game even hits beta.

*I'm still eagerly anticipating The Last Night, btw

See, here is the trick; by borrowing designs from literally EVERYTHING, no one person can sue. By stealing everyone's art, it becomes nobody's art.

You can only sue if you feel they stole your stuff. But if your stuff is only a tiny fraction of the output then there is no ground for suing.

You are going to sue them for stealing from the entirety of humanity?

Roxkis_ii

If a tool makes something easy, yes both good and bad people are going to take advantage of that. Just pointing out that one side can do something bad is dumb imo without concideration of what good can come from it and weighing the options.

More game will be made. The ratio of good to bad games will probably be around the same.

Interfectum

"What makes Genie unique is its ability to learn fine-grained controls exclusively from Internet videos."

YouTubers ruin everything, even gaming. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Interfectum

If a tool makes something easy, yes both good and bad people are going to take advantage of that. Just pointing out that one side can do something bad is dumb imo without concideration of what good can come from it and weighing the options.

More game will be made. The ratio of good to bad games will probably be around the same.
We don't need more games. There are hundreds of games being released a week by people that have a spec of talent (it is hard to finish any game, even shitty ones). Before long we will be flooded with a new set of games that required the creator to barely lift a finger and they'll launch their game on Steam with a GPT created Developer name and a chat GPT created description of a game created by AI. Christ...

I bet multiple people will release cheap/garbage games, and if they make something barely good, it will make mone...

Showtime Idea GIF by Billions

Well...

If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

hyperbertha

See, here is the trick; by borrowing designs from literally EVERYTHING, no one person can sue. By stealing everyone's art, it becomes nobody's art.

You can only sue if you feel they stole your stuff. But if your stuff is only a tiny fraction of the output then there is no ground for suing.

It's called class action lawsuit. There's no way your comment is serious.

Raven77

Soon we will be having 1000's of the same games releasing every week.
Sequels that are just the same with an asset flip.
Then entice you with a subscription model that collates all these games together.
Diminishing the true value of games themselves.

Wait...this feels familiar.

You're onto something.

What will happen is their will be subscription services, but not ones that just collate things together. Instead the subscription will be, for example, to Dead Cells. The subscription gives you access to "DLC quality content every day hand crafted by our team of gaming development and AI experts".

An endless stream of DLC style content, mostly free, probably mostly not that great (at least for the first couple years). But quality levels WILL shock people that haven't been paying attention.

Gaming, movies, music, books, TV, are going to transform like nothing we've ever seen over the next 5+ years.

Warner Brothers, for example, can start selling "Fun and exciting versions of all your favorites! Watch Harry Potter in anime style, or Lord of the Rings in a kid friendly 3D animated style!"

Then a few years later - "Want to see Harry Potter with whatever actors you want, or, put yourself in the starring role!? Maybe it's directed by Steven Spielberg? Change the movies length, play "What If?"by combining your favorite movies together. Watch Harry and his crew fighting orcs alongside Legolas and Ghimli! You are in full control!"

This is the world of media that is rapidly approaching.

God Mode - like we've never experienced before

skyline GIF by Ready Player One

It's called class action lawsuit. There's no way your comment is serious.
There is no way you are serious about a class action lawsuit composed of the entirety of all art ever created.

Also, as i said, you can't sue unless your art is a significant portion of the art of the defendant. it doesn't matter it adds up to 100% if you add everyone's contribution together, if your individual contribution is 0.001% it is not enough grounds for you to sue according to precedence.

If your original character has 0.001% similarity to Mickey Mouse, Disney can't sue you. That proportion of similarity is not grounds for suing. And since everyone else also only have 0.001% similarity, none of anyone else could sue either.

The human law is not designs to do what you are asking it. And if you force that to happen then you kill all art all at the same time. If you steal from everybody, you steal from nobody.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

No, that’s not how this works. As can be observed by multiple lawsuits directed at Open AI with more to follow against other AI companies.

Roxkis_ii

We don't need more games. There are hundreds of games being released a week by people that have a spec of talent (it is hard to finish any game, even shitty ones). Before long we will be flooded with a new set of games that required the creator to barely lift a finger and they'll launch their game on Steam with a GPT created Developer name and a chat GPT created description of a game created by AI. Christ...
The cream will rise to the top just like it does currently. Most people don't just looking at the new release page on steam to figure out what their next game (out side of content creators), most people listen to word of mouth or game reviewer, or check user reviews.

I have a feeling none of that matters to you and you just want to be scared of AI.

hyperbertha

There is no way you are serious about a class action lawsuit composed of the entirety of all art ever created.

Also, as i said, you can't sue unless your art is a significant portion of the art of the defendant. it doesn't matter it adds up to 100% if you add everyone's contribution together, if your individual contribution is 0.001% it is not enough grounds for you to sue according to precedence.

If your original character has 0.001% similarity to Mickey Mouse, Disney can't sue you. That proportion of similarity is not grounds for suing. And since everyone else also only have 0.001% similarity, none of anyone else could sue either.

The human law is not designs to do what you are asking it. And if you force that to happen then you kill all art all at the same time. If you steal from everybody, you steal from nobody.
You are demonstrating a complete lack of knowledge about how anything works. There are already multiple class action lawsuits

Could you imagine? Games that actually function upon release? I'd love to see self-healing games that fix bugs on the fly which AI sends the fixes to a test server then sends out tiny modular patches accordingly.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

This is ridiculous. Stealing is binary. Either you do it or you don’t. If you did it, it doesn’t matter if it is one pixel in one frame, it’s stealing. Careers have been ruined because an author plagiarized one paragraph in one paper, for example.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

By 2035-2040, ALL of our media content will basically be created in realtime per individual, algorithmically based off of your personal preferences.

Wanna watch a full movie where Popeye pilots an Evangelion and saves the multiverse, but you only have 45 minutes? No problem. Want to play a first-person immersive sim where you’re Grimace fighting all of the kids from The Goonies as act bosses? Easy.

This will happen with audiobooks in the next 3-5 years, guaranteed. Music probably in the next 5-7 years. Movies and games in 8-15 years. And if history has taught us anything, those estimates are probably even too long.

Like it or not, we’re approaching Wall-E, only without all of the cool space travel.

kiphalfton

Stuff that sucks in games:

- Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V assets
- AI art
- Procedural generation
- Real life face scans for game characters

Unfortunately some or all of this crap is in games. And unfortunately this is the future.

kiphalfton

This is ridiculous. Stealing is binary. Either you do it or you don’t. If you did it, it doesn’t matter if it is one pixel in one frame, it’s stealing. Careers have been ruined because an author plagiarized one paragraph in one paper, for example.

One pixel huh.

Going by that rationale, no media or anything can exist, without being "stealing", because if you made a matrix of words, colors, etc. that are present between a small sample size of games, movie, art, etc. there would be some overlap.

Boralf

By 2035-2040, ALL of our media content will basically be created in realtime per individual, algorithmically based off of your personal preferences.

Wanna watch a full movie where Popeye pilots an Evangelion and saves the multiverse, but you only have 45 minutes? No problem. Want to play a first-person immersive sim where you’re Grimace fighting all of the kids from The Goonies as act bosses? Easy.

This will happen with audiobooks in the next 3-5 years, guaranteed. Music probably in the next 5-7 years. Movies and games in 8-15 years. And if history has taught us anything, those estimates are probably even too long.

Like it or not, we’re approaching Wall-E, only without all of the cool space travel.
I'm not sure if it's gonna be all of it, but certainly some of it yeah. I think a shared experience is still very important. Just like going to a music festival, talking about that tv series you all watch, the game you both played etc.

Davevil

friends-ross.gif

Top Bottom