• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gog.com Winter Sale recommendations thread

Tschumi

Pretty typical fare, sales happen all the time, anyway I've been clicking through the gog.com winter sale and I've found a few games which I consider to be unimpeachable classics which I recommend you to get at their current price... I'm trying not to be too obvious, but yeah some are just worth mentioning because of how recent/successful they are vs. their price.

What about the rest of you? Got some personal favorite titles which are available real cheap? Help make recommendations to your fellow gamers~

- Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Less than $5, can hardly comprehend how this top quality spin-off of the legendary Homeworld series is available for the price of a large can of soda...

- World in Conflict, Complete Edition

Can't be much more than $1... Ancestor to Ground Control, this is an incredible 3D RTS in near-present day.. Amazing graphics, considering its age, and really great gameplay - an ambitious campaign, too. Keep your Supreme Commander (well no, I like both) I'll take this game any day for a favourite 3D RTS of all time.

- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Under $5, a fantastic sequel to my #2 game O.A.T... spend a bit more and get the 'digital delux' edition.

- Thief 3: Deadly Shadows

Way less than $1. It isn't considered a particularly great game, but I loved it and if you want some stealth gameplay it's worth a shot. The small levels (blame OG xbox) are still pretty dense with opportunity for adventure, and they become varied and challenging as the game continues. The plot is particularly ambitious and is immersive.

- Majesty 2 Collection

Less than $5... I can't talk this game up enough, it's a fantastic RTS with a ton of character and a-typical gameplay... Think of yourself as a cross between the mayor of a town and the dude who hands out quests in World of Warcraft... You build guilds, recruit heroes (tank, healer, melee and ranged dps, caster dps, more besides), then put bounties around the landscape (exploration bounties, kill bounties, guard bounties) and assign rewards to them... your heroes go off and try to fulfil the bounties, then pump any money they make on those quests back into your economy at markets, blacksmiths, and other service buildings you've constructed.. Find a boss for the level? But a ten-gajillion gold bounty on his head and watch your heroes scramble.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
10€ for a pretty cool tactical turn based game. It's not an XCOM clone, and the music, voice acting and art design and pretty good.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
since we are getting a stimulus check of at least $600 i bought a video card so i can run RTX/DLSS-enabled games.

ended up buying Control Ultimate, Witcher 3 GOTY, Fallout: New Vegas, and double-dipped on Cyberpunk 2077 because i like CDPR

xrnzaaas

Good point, but it's relatively obscure.. i just really dug some of the levels
Depends on your taste, I guess. I replayed Thief 1 and 2 a few years ago and had a blast. The games for me are still superb and I don't mind the graphics and the fact that you can get lost in some levels (actually it's a plus that they don't hold your hand and tell you where to go).

SCB3

Literally look up Mandalore Gaming on YouTube and pick from there, can't go too wrong, especially if it's Warhammer

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Only 30% off, but I whole heartedly recommend Monster Train:

The game is a deckbuilding strategy roguelike... tower defense? One of my biggest surprises of 2020.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only 30% off, but I whole heartedly recommend Monster Train:

The game is a deckbuilding strategy roguelike... tower defense? One of my biggest surprises of 2020.
Good call.

This game was also just added to Game Pass too (maybe 2 weeks ago).

Rikkori

Reviews are not this great :messenger_confused: but I like the art.
There's a lot of Banner Saga fans hating on it because it has the same style, but trust me - the game is really good. The art & ost are both 10/10, the writing & world is interesting (tho a bit weird in phrasing sometimes, courtesy of being adapted from Russian), and the gameplay is fun & quite intricate. On top of that there's many decisions you make throughout your journey that impact how the world develops as well as what happens to both characters & the (of course) ending. It's a REALLY good game if you like these TBS RPG mixtures, just a shame it's not very well known. And all that for less than 7 euros? It's a damn steal.

Last edited:
GOG has such great sales and during the Winter sale they were giving out Metro: Last Light for free.

Best thing about all of this is it's DRM free.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any of you who like ancient 1990s RPGs or turn based strategy games, all these games should be on deal for $2 to $5. I grabbed these games over the past month on different GOG deals and it cost a total of about $18 cdn.

- Ultima Underworld 1+2 bundle
- Warlords 1 + Warlords 2 Deluxe bundle
- Warlords 3 Darklords
- Fantasy General 1
- Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete

Other games on deal which I didn't bother buying
- Old ass Wizardry, M&M, SSI Gold Box bundles, Ultima games (a few are free to download)

Last edited:

gela94

There's a lot of Banner Saga fans hating on it because it has the same style, but trust me - the game is really good. The art & ost are both 10/10, the writing & world is interesting (tho a bit weird in phrasing sometimes, courtesy of being adapted from Russian), and the gameplay is fun & quite intricate. On top of that there's many decisions you make throughout your journey that impact how the world develops as well as what happens to both characters & the (of course) ending. It's a REALLY good game if you like these TBS RPG mixtures, just a shame it's not very well known. And all that for less than 7 euros? It's a damn steal.

Ok you go me :messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom