• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

Salz01

51441816780_8754540913_o.png
This was the best shot of the trailer. It has that level of detail, plus it has a sense of place. The original doesn’t feel like a lived in world.

YukiOnna

The director decides the script?

Because if it is a different director why would him copy everything from the past game?
Not sure, but Williams has been a long term combat designer since the first God of War so he probably knows how to replicate the style.

Type_Raver

Glad to have finally seen it in action.

I must admit that while it looks polished, it looks very familiar and its design shows strong ties to the PS4 release. Things such as level scale, density and enemy numbers.
Also, in hindsight, Horizon FW while carrying the same legacy, looks more impressive for a PS5 title; when compared its predecessor.

I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever Cory is directing, is a PS5 ground-up exclusive GoW title.

Yoboman

Glad to have finally seen it in action.

I must admit that while it looks polished, it looks very familiar and its design shows strong ties to the PS4 release. Things such as level scale, density and enemy numbers.
Also, in hindsight, Horizon FW while carrying the same legacy, looks more impressive for a PS5 title; when compared its predecessor.

I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever Cory is directing, is a PS5 ground-up exclusive GoW title.
I think its a new IP

But it would be interesting if they went to an AC model of development with multiple games in pipeline at the same time, two games per mythology and Cory essentially reboots the franchise each time it goes to a new mythology

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
this is by far the most impressive looking shot in the trailer. The rest of the game didn't look as good. Not sure why they can't have the same visual fidelity all across the game world.
Personally I'm not worried about the final quality of the game, it will evolve and be refined in the right direction by the time of release.

Haggard

Banned
Looks like an Addon with the environment detail sliders raised. It still looks pretty great but we´ll have to live with the same limitations as in the first one.
Kind of hoped for a bigger jump......welp, cross gen :(

Last edited:

Cock of War

As a viking I approve of this design. Closer to the Thor I grew up with in popular media of the times:

valhalla_cover.jpg

Also, I kinda like that GOW:R Thor kinda reminds me of current day Axl Rose.
A thing I noticed in the trailer: Týr has both of his arms, so I predict that at some point in the game there will be some interaction with the Fenris wolf where Týr will lose his arm.
I know that GOW traditionally has had orchestral scores, but this would be a nice fit:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It isn’t. It was made from the ground up for PS4 first and foremost. It just so happens to release on ps5 as well.
What ?? Lol it’s exactly the same.. I just beat gow two days ago on ps4 pro.. it’s exactly the same .. which makes sense as how the game ended

The bigger irony is that the vikings were genuinely more 'woke' than some of the people complaining about this. Because colored vikings absolutely existed and some of them even have documented lineages here in Iceland.

That would be news to me. Of which lineage do you speak?

The Blámenn (Dark/Black People) are only featured in fantastical sagas and never play any important roles. They usually play the role of fierce foreign warriors and aren't really tied to any real notion of ethnicity. Some non-Scandinavian people did live in the North in the Viking age, but they were most likely slaves or servants.

This is what Vikings looked like or this reconstruction of the skull of a Viking woman found at Solør:

1800.jpg

There was Geirmund Heljarskinn (“Geirmund the black skinned”) who lived between 850 and 905. His father was King Hjør, but that guy was of Mongolian descent. So even fairly light skinned Mongolians were considered "black" by Viking standards. There is also Halfdan the Black, but he got his name simply from his black Hair. Despite extensive records by themselves and by the Christian missionaries who converted them, there is not a single mention of black Vikings. Nor is there any genetic evidence that would indicate such.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm glad this will end the Norse trilogy. That means the story will be eventful, also the environments seem samey as it takes ace in the same world, I can deal with that for one game but a 3rd game in the same environments would have been too much. So I think it's perfect this will end the Norse mythology. Then we can get Egyptian mythology PS5 only game that will fully reinvent the franchise. Although I'm dissapointed this game is cross gen I'm still looking forward to it as the original was one of my favourite games on PS4.

the trailer was so disappointed to me, this is not how u reveal new sequel game. It's F* God of War.

And look, Santa has spread spoilers everywhere, 3 years we were waiting for the epic thor reveal and they do it with a character model art? :|

and they ending the Norse saga.

I do not understand why that many people like it.

Papacheeks

Banned
After watching the trailer in 4K I can see the PS4 roots since they are using same engine, but damn. In 4k and in those 4k screen grabs it looks clean as fuck. Also looks like its possibly running during combat faster than 30. Looks like theres more open world segments and looks like there are towns that actually have more than cendric and his brother in it.

World looks much more denser and open in terms of detail.

Things i noticed:
  1. Character models have much higher polygon count, better structure to their model, I can see better definition in faces, like Freya's has more indentations now more visible in here cheek bones
  2. more detail on the surfaces of characters faces like atreus scars
  3. also more added detail and geometry to clothing, looks like individual pieces on the model
  4. Lighting, weather effects seem to be a thing through out the different locations from fog, to steam, snow and things like snow get on the hair of kratos beard/cloths and in the rendered cutscene the deer atreus carries has snow on its pelt.
You still can tell especially enemies models they have more added detail but in terms of geometry probably not as detailed as the actual voiced characters or main characters. A lot of PS4 models that have been upscaled(cross-gen effects) Characters like Tier did not look as well as Freya/Atreus/Kratos

Over all game looks super polished and clean. So I'm so fucking in on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom