• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

cormack12

Gold Member
Regardless of whether its cross gen, SSM are fucking wizards with art. The game looked incredible. It will no doubt show its roots in scenes like 2018's dragon bite scene but the illusion largely holds up. Really dig Freyas darker look as well.

I'm not happy to see more Draugr :/ - getting like skyrim dungeons. It's not like the old games where you had trash mobs, because the fights are more intimate and meaningful they stand out when the old games had things like medusa, minotaurs, cyclops, satyrs, centaurs etc. Now it's elves, Draugr and a few trolls.

Anyway, am sure it will fucking rock and I can't wait.

Matt_Fox

Did anyone else notice that the combat seemed mostly bloodless?

Maybe it's because I'd just seen the Project Eve trailer with geysers of blood, but it seemed to me that the gore was gone?

Shmunter

Thor is my boy! This body protection is of my liking 😎
PLvsrF0.jpg
Looks like a character out of Asterix

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Someone posted a gif of Kratos peering out over what is essentially a skybox/background art/unusable assets, and was like “this is the most next gen game I’ve ever seen.” A few pages back.
Sometimes I’m surprised at how little people around here understand power differences in consoles, graphical capabilities, etc. especially since the new gen started, it’s become very apparent.

I mean, I’m not game design expert, but I definitely know that a skybox or background art isn’t a strong indicator of power.

this game looks like dlc, not just graphically but animation and content wise. No getting around it. For some, that will be enough. For others, it is disappointing that Sony is still selling PS4 games on PS5.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Someone posted a gif of Kratos peering out over what is essentially a skybox/background art/unusable assets, and was like “this is the most next gen game I’ve ever seen.” A few pages back.
Sometimes I’m surprised at how little people around here understand power differences in coles, graphical capabilities, etc. especially since the new gen started, it’s become very apparent.

I mean, I’m not game design expert, but I definitely know that a skybox or background art isn’t a strong indicator of power.

this game looks like dlc, not just graphically but animation and content wise. No getting around it. For some, that will be enough. For others, it is disappointing that Sony is still selling PS4 games on PS5.
Are you suggesting the view of the world is a 2d picture? Highly unlikely, even on PS4.

KAL2006

Banned
As this game seems more of the same with the same environments and slightly better graphics. I hope they can now focus on enemy variety, more set pieces, more different bosses and etc.

Reactions: Fbh

SkylineRKR

Did anyone else notice that the combat seemed mostly bloodless?

Maybe it's because I'd just seen the Project Eve trailer with geysers of blood, but it seemed to me that the gore was gone?

Yeah GoW 2018 has no gore. You do rip monsters so shreds but without blood, no nasty shit on humanoid characters either. It didn't bother me actually. I noticed much later which is kind of funny as GoW was always ridiculously over the top with blood and fatalities. I think it does fit with Kratos' changed personality also.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sometimes I’m surprised at how little people around here understand power differences in coles, graphical capabilities, etc. especially since the new gen started, it’s become very apparent.

Agree on the first part - big vista shots like that aren't showing the power of anything.

On the "DLC" thing though, it's a sequel and it looks like a sequel on the same generation of console. Devs don't throw out their assets and style and gameplay between games and their sequels, they just finetune them. Calling it DLC is silly.

JCK75

Fuck cross gen and anyone who supports it.

Day 0 though. GOTY

The ugly reality you need to face is that the pandemic and chip shortages make it the only reasonable way to release a game now.. by the time enough PS5's are there to meet the demand the game would be too old for them to care.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Agree on the first part - big vista shots like that aren't showing the power of anything.

On the "DLC" thing though, it's a sequel and it looks like a sequel on the same generation of console. Devs don't throw out their assets and style and gameplay between games and their sequels, they just finetune them. Calling it DLC is silly.

I'm just calling it like I see it. Looks like dlc to me. Not even a sequel. That's the impression I get from the amount of reused assets on display.

Sure, sometimes assets are reused for sequels, but that's not always the case, and even when it is, that is only up to a certain extent. The animations have a particularly strong effect on my perceptions of this. The moves, launching the boat into the water, the forced walking segments that are probably still masking loading, etc.

There is a blurry line between dlc and a sequel these days. It's becoming quite common to use available assets on dlc while crafting new ones for the sequel. See Lost Legacy, Miles Morales, Infamous, Red Dead, etc..

So, while this may be longer than the average dlc, it still gives the impression of an expansion pack.

And if my response seems a bit reactionary? Then hell, maybe Sony shouldn't have given the strongest indication that this would be a PS5 game.

Last edited:

John Wick

Because horizon sequel looks muuuuch better than horizon vanilla while still being clearly crossgen, this one looks almost exactly like the first one.
Dude they aren't gonna show you this game looking it's best a year out at least? There will be many State of Plays for this game. The game will look much better. It's clearly an early build without the spit and polish.
Just you wait

Banjo64

cumsessed
Need to watch this in 4k today. Don’t think the stream did it justice although there were still some amazing scenes (the water wheel area).

The visuals weren’t what surprised me, I wish Kratos had a new main weapon instead of his Axe although I suppose that’s going to be a hard sell due to its sentimentality.

GymWolf

Dude they aren't gonna show you this game looking it's best a year out at least? There will be many State of Plays for this game. The game will look much better. It's clearly an early build without the spit and polish.
Just you wait
I had the same exchange with another member already, usually the first trailer sets the tone for the graphic level, i don't expect huge improvements for this one, especially for the crossgen nature of it.

But yeah, time will tell, for now i can only judge what i have under my eyes.

Fbh

As this game seems more of the same with the same environments and slightly better graphics. I hope they can now focus on enemy variety, more set pieces, more different bosses and etc.

Yeah since the gameplay, visuals, environments and overall structure look very similar to the original, I hope they could really focus on bringing some more variety with a lot more enemies, bosses and setpiece moments.
I loved GOW 2018 but it could have used some more enemies and some more epic boss fights like Baldur.

And since they said this is the final one focusing on norse mythology I hope they go all out by the end. I want to fight Thor and Odin in Valhalla, not in some cave or on some snowy hillside.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I just googled "Thor God" in Google Images, and this has to be the most unique take on the God of Thunder, except for the version for a female Thor to be played by Natalie Portman. You know, diversity and all that, making the world a better place.

This Thor looks like he had better years, and has spent a lot of time in front of the TV, eating potato chips. Not surprising coming from Cory Barlog, and his hatred of conservatives, you know for being responsible for his Dad getting covid. :rolleyes:

Should be no problems for Kratos.
Try reading some translations of the Norse mythology. Thor actually did pose as a woman before. Additionally, other gods did even more wild stuff, like mate with animals. Today's society isn't all that extreme, you just can't cope for some reason. Also, Cory Barlog has worked on every mainline God of War game going back to the PS2.

You have personal issues obviously, see a therapist and come back when you're better.

GymWolf

They're probably cheaper than proper actors.
Dude, don't even say something like this out loud.

There is no fucking way that even jimbo the greedy cross-cunt is cheaping up with voice acting in their games.

It's just a marketing crap manouvre, nothing else.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned

This went somehow like this:

Hi Yongy!
- Say the lines to the microphone as loud as you can.
- BUT There is only one line?!
- Go, we don't have time, the director is "exhausted".
- Well, ok: BUNNY!
- Thank you! PERFECT!

Now sign this 12 page document, and tweet that you'll be in the game as a roaring, red eyed bunny.

Top Bottom