• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War's Creator Thinks That the Character of Kratos Took a Wrong Turn

manfestival

I dont mind the new kratos but it is kinda sad knowing that we won't be getting anymore games like the original god of war games. I love those titles. Also, definitely on team angry man over dad of war

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sales and interest are really high compared to the PS2/PS3 games.

Maybe it appeals to the 30-50 year old fans this dad style game.
Maybe Kratos grew up like the fans of the franchise,I don't mean it in bad way but in a literal way.I started gow when I was like 10 I was around 15/16 when the third came out and some of the characters trait spoke to me at the time, but they probably wouldn't now and playing as someone that is trying to outgrow his past prejudicial traits feel relevant to me and apparently for a lot of people out there too.Maybe the franchise reached a more mature audience that is now the playstation audience.But II do get how this contiunuous rage and violence can feel exhilarating, I do feel that is still there but more contained besides those rushes of violence.He is ccalmer but still violent when he need to which seems more fitting.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The way this guy just fell...how do you go from creating IPs such as God of War to being a second rate youtuber i'll never know.

Does anyone know what he actually does nowadays to make a living? Hes got a family right? No way he lives off of whatever scraps his channel pulls in.

Does he do consultant work? Is there enough old school GOW residuals to survive? Did he make a pretty penny off that stupid Twisted Metal show?

Skifi28

I was done with the old God of War after ascention, just way too many games that played nearly identical and I imagine I wasn't alone. I think the change was needed and the old versions wouldn't continue to sell games. Maybe a spin-off would be cool after so many years.

ungalo

It's absurd to compare the two versions of the character, but what he means is Kratos was never intended to be overwritten like he is in the 2018 and it's very obvious.

It's actually funny that they took a character like that and turned it into a family drama tv show. It's almost as if Nintendo had done the same with Mario. Obviously even young Kratos is more fleshed out than Mario, there was already a scenario in the first trilogy, but still you get the idea. It's in that sense that he's saying it should have been a new IP, because it's so bizarre and out of place.

Only the writers of Lost Planet 3 could have achieved such a feat. Take a 2000's edgy character so seriously, to the point he indulges in so much guilt and self-flagellation. It's really ridiculous to me but objectively they succeeded given the critical and commercial reception.

Last edited:

Vick

Kratos 2018 is the most masculine character in gaming history.
In every conceivable regard made old Kratos look like a spoiled, emotional teenager.

But I'd still take old Kratos over whatever the fuck Kratos was in Ragnarök.
Coming right from a 2018 replay, his character felt off from the very first 5 seconds of the first opening shot.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Honestly, I got fatigue from the franchise after god of war 3 once he beat zues literally to death with his fists.

He had to tone down in order to build back up and justify his rage, or at least that's how I am hoping they play it. And considering how much he has tied to him now, I'd say there is a lot to work with.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The way this guy just fell...how do you go from creating IPs such as God of War to being a second rate youtuber i'll never know.
He wishes he was second rate, lol, pretty much bottom tier. Probably just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right team back in the day, plus enough new to gaming teens thinking mash o to fuck harder/open door QTE is a cool gameplay/story (lol) element to make it big.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
QCtnAbs.jpg

His takes can't be taken seriously......remember this is the guy who slammed Metroid Dread because he couldn't figure out how to shoot diagonally to get out of a room

The character grew up, at the end of GoW he got his revenge but it didn't actually change anything.

I can accept some people are upset an about changes to the game design, but games have to evolve to stay relevant.

They can't follow the same basic blue print every time and expect success.

Finally SSM learned a lot following Ascension - which realistically could've been the end of the ip.

Also, the leviathan axe is significantly better than the blades of chaos ever were.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Dad of war is garbage. God of war was great. Take me back to kratos burning people alive, ripping off heads and beating my tv screen to a bloody pulp.

And while you are at it take this 3rd person over the shoulder crap and give me back the old camera work.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

40 million units disagree with Jaffe

Like usual a vocal minority are making it seem like everyone prefers old Kratos. In reality the new Kratos is much more popular. We all heard the cheer at the Game Awards and the numbers don't lie.

Old Kratos is cringe, A teenage boy listening to blink 182 idea of masculinity.
More popular doesn't make it better. By your standards then Justin Beiber is better than Beethoven because he has sold much more than him.

DonF

I think Kratos had its character development very clear across many games, so he went from hating the gods that took his family and made him a slave via deceipt to actually getting his revenge, making peace with himself and his family to starting anew.

yeah, dad of war is soft, but we got there slowly. lets not make like 6 games didnt happen.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I agree some, in particular with Ragnarok Kratos is now terribly boring and out of character imo. 2018 had more of a proper bridge. Ill never understand why they thought it was a good idea to take Cory Barlog off of the lead.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't mind the reformed Kratos. He's way less of a one dimensional and one note character. The writing however for Ragnarok was just a bit pants.
Yes, I think they took original Kratos's character to his conclusion by the end of the 3rd game, so that I can accept. But the character writing is now dog shit and jarring for the setting.

ReBurn

Gold Member
i never thought Kratos was a character that needed to be fleshed out as much as they have with the more recent games. I like the focus on hacking and slashing much more than the storytelling. But people seem to like where the series has gone so that's really all that matters.

Banjo64

cumsessed
New Kratos is a big cuckold. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with anger/vengeance being the primary motivator in a piece of fiction.

They’ve made him more generic and one dimensional with the faux ‘ogres have layers’ approach, even though their aim was the opposite.

He is the God of War. Not the God of Diplomacy and Feelings.

I enjoy the old games, but Kratos is just a rage monster.

The new games have made him an actual character, and he's one of the best ones in gaming. It's a great performance and story arc for the character, and I just love how he handles his business. I do wonder what will cause him to destroy another pantheon for the next game though. The character IS the franchise, and I don't see how they leave him behind.

Sorry Jaffe, they made your character better.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
A bit shitty to say this about a game he made in a different age.

He should have taken the reboot as a nice homage to his own work.
He said he likes GoW 2018, he doesn't like the direction of ragnarok and what it means going forward.
He talks about fundamentally changing characters in general, for no other reason than "characters much change!", and how that is a shitty practice

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I agree completely. His arc was perfect in GOW2018, learning to let go of the past, accepting who he was, trying to be a better person etc.

Ragnorak just turned him into a softie. He's now lecturing people on their love live.... yes, mimir and kratos discuss Sigrun and Mimir's love life in the DLC. Its retarded. it makes no sense.

He did that through out Ragnorak lecturing Freya on forgiving her brother apologizing to fucking Atreues after he nearly destroyed the fabric of time and space. this is not kratos. This is a millennial dad in 2023.

Last edited:
Top Bottom