• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

Yoboman

If it really was cross gen moved to PS5 all the corridors and linear hub level designs are still going to carry over which sucks.
I dont think they need the environments to get any bigger than they already are

They just need to add in quicker fast travel and maybe some faster travel options or aerial travel

Looks exactly like GOW 2018 graphics wise which is good but nothing mind blowing guess that the price you pay for it being cross gen.

Batiman

Banned
My most hyped Sony game. TBH it didn’t look much better than the PS4 version though. All the game needs is better enemy variety

GymWolf

The environments looked a lot better and the lighting. As did the NPC they were fighting

You can't really assess on the suits, I think those are about as detailed as you're ever going to see them. They will always just be body tight spandex
The environment that we saw was during a cutscene tho, and we know that they enhance lights and shit during cutscenes.

Also have you played spidey morales, there is a screenshots topic on reeee where the game looks pretty close to this trailer.

I don't know, i'm not fully convinced yet.

Last edited:

Fake

Another franchise affected by crossgen. What a shame.

God of War for PS4 used to be the high level of the hardware use, but looking now is just a PS4 game boosted by PS5 specs...

Stuart360

I thoink the new Horizon looks considerably better then this, even though its cross gen itself.
On PS4 GOW looked better than HZD, so not sure why this doesnt at least look a bit better.
Still GOW was a fantastic looking PS4 game, whihc means this will still look a fantastic looking game. Should be able to get it to 4k/60 too, or close to it.

Fbh

I mean it looks great and I'm sure it will be a fantastic game like the first one.

But I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by how similar it looks to the last one. Specially when considering it's a whole new gen, like compare this to God of War 2 vs 3 or Uncharted 3 vs 4.

Bartski

Gold Member
No idea what people were expecting after hearing it's cross-gen a while back.

It's gonna be God of War 2018 formula but bigger and better, how is that a bad thing. I'm sure they'll double down on everything that it the GOTY 2018, refining all key mechanics and improving everything where it lacked - most notably enemy variety, minibosses and overall scope.

Yes, it's very disappointing for it to be held back by 10 years old hardware but for cross-gen I think it looked great and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I wanna know how they're changing up combat to make it fresh and justify a new upgrade path of what seems like chains + axe combination from the get-go.

Older Atreus also must have received tons of tweaks and I bet it's a playable character at some point.

Easy top 5 of my most anticipated 2022 right now

Last edited:
Yeah maybe, but it's just this fucking crossgen plague dude, spiderman 2 too.

I mean don't get me wrong, more gow is always good, but this doesn't even try to hide the crossgen nature.

The human characters (except kratos), especially the faces were already kinda dated in the original gow, but now they just looks funny...

Tbf, the black child looked pretty good.
Spider-Man 2 is PS5 only.

Saaleh

Banned
Echo the statements it looks a bit cross gen. Part of that might be the similar snowy environments. The areas that aren't snowy looked a fair step ahead of 2018. My thoughts are this was probably always a PS4 game that got delayed by COVID

Hopefully that means they can absolutely cram it with content at least.

The fact its the last game in the norse mythology is surprising - thought we'd get at least 3 games

No Cory also disappointing but he is still around and if things weren't working out with the new guy I'd say he would have been brought back in
It really feels like the Gameplay will be more exciting because of the new director. can't wait for the gifs. I'm glad they are doing it this way, cory will have the chance to do something even more amazing, we will get a real PS5 game from him.

pratyush

Black girl could be Angrboda. Most fiction already show her as dark coloured. It's amazing how these things trigger people

Yoboman

Fans who played the last game know they were able to visit six of the Nine Realms during their journey. In God of War Ragnarök, you will be able to visit all nine!
God of War Ragnarök will take you to the previously unreachable Vanaheim, Svartalfheim, and Asgard – as well as to new areas from locations featured in the last game. Exploring the realms will take you everywhere from verdant, otherworldly jungles to intricate subterranean mining networks.
This next installment in the series will bring you a more diverse, beautiful, and mysterious variety of locations than in any other God of War game.

This is going to be a big game

vpance

I dont think they need the environments to get any bigger than they already are

They just need to add in quicker fast travel and maybe some faster travel options or aerial travel

It's true that the series has always been about moving from arena to arena, but I just didn't love the way it was done in the last one. I guess it was more about the design decisions they took with it's hub world, among other things.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
PS4's God of War really set a huge bar in graphics, in a way that I couldn't see much improvement in this trailer to be honest.

But I'm sure the game will be fucking bonkers.

MastaKiiLA

People saying it look cross-gen can probably only point to Wukong and maybe Horizon as looking better, and one of those games is running on UE5, and will probably require a card that costs at least 2 PS5s to run it at a decent framerate.

I know this forum is full of jaded people, but seriously, get a grip. Cross-gen means absolutely nothing when there's nothing else in the genre that looks like it on consoles. This and HFW look amazing. I'd say something like UC:Remaster is what a cross-gen game that is being held back by last gen looks like, because that's a game clearly built for last-gen, and only received a minor facelift for PC and PS5. GOW will not look this good on PS4.

GymWolf

This looks like the exact same as what I played on ps4 wtf?? How is this ps5
5mfxsc.jpg

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Kinda surprised we didn’t get a release date for this when a year ago they said 2021 release

Razvedka

Banned
No idea what people were expecting after hearing it's cross-gen a while back.

It's gonna be God of War 2018 formula but bigger and better, how is that a bad thing. I'm sure they'll double down on everything that it the GOTY 2018, refining all key mechanics and improving everything where it lacked - most notably enemy variety, minibosses and overall scope.

Yes, it's very disappointing for it to be held back by 10 years old hardware
but for cross-gen I think it looked great and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I wanna know how they're changing up combat to make it fresh and justify a new upgrade path of what seems like chains + axe combination from the get-go.

Older Atreus also must have received tons of tweaks and I bet it's a playable character at some point.

Easy top 5 of my most anticipated 2022 right now
We're a year into the PS5's life and on the horizon what I mostly see are cross-gen games. This is precisely why all of this is disappointing.

Ragnarok is painfully, obviously, a PS4 game. Forbidden West will be handicapped similarly. It'd be one thing if we were talking about 'one big game', similar to the Halo Infinite situation, but pretty much all of the huge Sony titles beyond R&C are cross gen and it isn't immediately clear what advantage is conferred by owning a PS5 version. higher framerates? Slightly higher resolution? better textures?

And for that 'premium' you're going to get to pay $70.

Super loving my PS4 Pro-Pro and more expensive games.

Yoboman

It's true that the series has always been about moving from arena to arena, but I just didn't love the way it was done in the last one. I guess it was more about the design decisions they took with it's hub world, among other things.
I liked it

I dont need open world God of War. Hub design with open elements is as far as they should take it for now

Having a bit more consideration in the level design like that makes it a lot more interesting to me from an exploration and environmental puzzle perspective IMO

I've just started a new game plus on God of War via the ps5 and you guys are fucking nuts if you think God of War Ragnarok isn't a huge visual leap! I watched the live stream and it looked good and then I watched a 4k version and the graphics are night and day different to me from the past game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also... Disappointed there is more Freya. She was the worst part of gow. She just looks like a suburban housewife and is not intimidating at all

Yoboman

Kinda surprised we didn’t get a release date for this when a year ago they said 2021 release
Im pretty sure from memory the same happened when GOW 2018 was delayed. They only gave it a release date in the end when it was a couple months from release

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They literally are going to charge £10 more just to unlock higher resolution and framerate on all these games aren't they? Such a disappointment.

This is sony's plan. Keep making ps4 games and charge 10$ for resolution and framerate. And when they stop making crossgen shit, drop the ps5 pro and obsolete the ps5.

Fuck I feel like a sucker that's just realized he's been conned.

Top Bottom