• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarök - How Sony Santa Monica's level designers made the new dwarven realm, Svartalfheim, larger than life

It's looking great to me and I doubt they've revealed all the improvements/changes they've made (I'm also not obsessed by pretty graphics).

If they've made it for the people who really liked 2018 - I have no issue; I would only be disappointed if they changed the controls/feeling of the axe or made things more button mashy.

And I don't think they necessarily need to make major changes in Ragnarok, GoW2018 was already a big departure compared to the previous titles.

Kusarigama

The game looks absolutely bonkers! I still wonder if I'll be able to get a PS5 by the time it launches or I may have to play it on my PS4. Anycase totally hyped for it.

Even gameinformer are trying to cash out the views by scheduling one and half minute videos.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I would much prefer it to be structured like God of war 2018 than a full blown open world.

Open worlds have just become bloated and exhausting even good ones like elden ring and Horizon.

God of war 2018 always felt like it had just the right amount of exploration without being overwhelming.

Open worlds ironically despite being objectively huge often feel small. I never feel like I am on an adventure in any of them just running errands back and forth, fast travel doesn't help either.

God of wars structure had a good adventure feel despite revisting locations etc.

Ragnaorak can expand a bit I.e. it would be cool if you can get off the sledge anytime and walk around but I definitely don't want it turning into far cry.

If gow 2018's map was the way it was in my picture how would it be worse?
Gow's map design makes traversal more annoying not less.

How is more freedom a bad thing?

Im not saying make the map to big or fill with crap.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Freezing water geyser puzzles is kind of lame. Like they are struggling to find interesting gameplay elements.
If nothing else, this is poor marketing. A minute and a half of footage and you're going to highlight something so mundane? Puzzles like that just come off as a chore unless you're actually in the thick of them and taking an actual breather from combat, while playing the game yourself.

Man, if they are hiding all the good stuff, I am going to end up thanking them, but from a marketing perspective, I'm thinking "show us something good!" One boss battle would probably get me hyped as hell, but as of now, I don't think I'd boot this game up right this minute, if it were sitting in my living room. It's not that I don't think it will be good, but I have no hype.

Just my two cents.

Sosokrates

Victim of bad marketing. Cuz this game just came and went like fart in the wind.

its funny how you some it entirely as negetive.

Its wasnt perfect, the franchise may have some fatigue, but was a good game, one of the best gears storys and not a bad story in general, it also had some gameplay additions which were quite good and the enemy variety was good, there were many different types of creative enemy designs. The visuals were also top notch.

I mean you could say what say about several games. After horizon Fw sells good, people just forget it, they finish and forget.

No, please do, we need a laugh.
200.gif
200.gif

If gow 2018's map was the way it was in my picture how would it be worse?
Gow's map design makes traversal more annoying not less.

How is more freedom a bad thing?

Im not saying make the map to big or fill with crap.
Well it could be good like the way you've suggested but how would you structure levels like the mountain or the dead giant in the first game? Would these still be self contained levels with only one entrance?

Too much freedom can definitely be bad a thing. It can be overwhelming, ruin difficulty curves, allow games to be played in boring unfun ways E.g. I think Forbidden west is worse because it allows a melee build. Melee is shit in that game if it was cut it would force players to engage with the far deeper and more fun ranged combat.

Freedom is obviously very important in games but it needs to be applied properly with appropriate boundaries and rules put in place.

Sosokrates

Well it could be good like the way you've suggested but how would you structure levels like the mountain or the dead giant in the first game? Would these still be self contained levels with only one entrance?

Too much freedom can definitely be bad a thing. It can be overwhelming, ruin difficulty curves, allow games to be played in boring unfun ways E.g. I think Forbidden west is worse because it allows a melee build. Melee is shit in that game if it was cut it would force players to engage with the far deeper and more fun ranged combat.

Freedom is obviously very important in games but it needs to be applied properly with appropriate boundaries and rules put in place.

I just didnt like in the first one I didnt really know where everything was and somtimes when trying to get somewhere I would get lost and stuck.

Take the fallout games for example, where the waypoint is you go in that direction and you see exactly where you are on the map, simple.

And you can have big levels, like the undergound, and large buildings to go in.

When I play gow it was anoying because it set up like an open world game,but the layout is unituitive at times and it can be difficult to know where you are. Its not the worst but it could be a lot better if it was like a fall out game.

If gow was open world it would be the same just without uncessary corridors and doors, you dont need these things to go a mountain just jave the mountain somewhere on the map.

Loxus

I just didnt like in the first one I didnt really know where everything was and somtimes when trying to get somewhere I would get lost and stuck.

Take the fallout games for example, where the waypoint is you go in that direction and you see exactly where you are on the map, simple.

And you can have big levels, like the undergound, and large buildings to go in.

When I play gow it was anoying because it set up like an open world game,but the layout is unituitive at times and it can be difficult to know where you are. Its not the worst but it could be a lot better if it was like a fall out game.

If gow was open world it would be the same just without uncessary corridors and doors, you dont need these things to go a mountain just jave the mountain somewhere on the map.
Just watch some YouTube videos if your having trouble solving anything.

It's what I do in must games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Freezing water geyser puzzles is kind of lame. Like they are struggling to find interesting gameplay elements.
Yeah that was so weak.
Thats not even a puzzle its a waste of time.
I hope they have better puzzles otherwise im gonna be using the accessibility feature of "skip puzzles" cuz I aint got time for brain dead shit like that.

https://c.tenor.com/HTz-RXN1qogAAAAC/tacos-de.gif

Yep. Back to PS2 area gaming mechanics I guess.
I don't see the issue, some of the very early puzzles in 2018 had Kratos helping Atreus reach a higher point so he could knockdown some chains - and yet it still won Goty.

But I don't see the point in these kinds of statements when we've only seen about 4 minutes of a 20/30 hour game.

Last edited:

sendit

What is this? The clipping of objects in the first gif is horrible. Is this a PS2 game? Second gif shows an object jumping, then magically cuts with the object landing on the other objects back. Guessing this is Alpha footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom