• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game informer exclusive GoW:Ragnarok gameplay today and Tuesday (8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm UK)

Loxus

Is it me or odin kinda look like mimir face wise?
Mimir could actually be Odin's uncle.

Mímir
On the basis of Hávamál 140 – where Odin learns nine magic songs from the unnamed brother of his mother Bestla – some scholars have theorized that Bestla's brother may in fact be Mímir, who would then be Odin's maternal uncle. This also means that Mimir's father would be Bölþorn.

Well. Let me put it in this way.

PR/Marketing are 'instruments' that are use to communicate and sell a product in the most effective and powerful way.

With marketing you show, with PR you tell.

If you are already sold, your bias is going to act as a buffer of such product. In other words: Ragnarok could be reveal and release the same day. And you will be buying it.

But this is not how things work.

So, bad marketing/PR creates noise-confusion-uncertainly. If it's gets worse can overtake the narrative/conversation.

What is the effect of that?...XboxOne is the prime example.

And because Ragnarok PR/Marketing has been bad you have these negative narratives in the conversation

Looks like DLC.
Recycle Animations
Cross-Gen.
Lackluster Hype.

So the negative effect is not building enough "hype" to increase awareness outside the people inside a bubble.

I haven't really heard that stuff outside of Gaf. I doubt its going to have any real impact on the sales of the game.

Last edited:
"this looks like DLC"

Oh...let's analyse that sentence then:

God of War 1:

ghost_of_sparta.jpeg

God of War 2:

god-of-war-collection-god-of-war-2c.jpg

God of War 3:

God-of-war-3-Gameplay.jpg

God of War Ascencion:

2018-04-24-gow-2.jpg

Same moves? Same weapon? Only graphical updates? DLCCCCCC We got DLCs for 3 games after the first one. How did Sony got away with this?

(am i doing this right?)
I've actually always thought GoW had this problem. I only played the 1st one and the reboot for this reason. DMC and NG2 had much larger gameplay variation.

Man, I won’t lie.c it’s kinda disappointing that Sony Santa Monica, in this level of time, wasn’t allowed to bring cutting edge graphics to this game. Aren’t we starting year three for this generation soon? Why did I buy these consoles at launch

Belthazar

When was uninterrupted gameplay shown for GoW 2018 again?.

GoW was a reboot for the franchise, they needed to clearly portray what they were doing with the formula. For this one we already know what it plays like.

Also, for GoW 2018 Sony (and the entire game industry) was in a completely different mindset on how to market their games, making those bullshot-type trailers years before the game was set to release, which not only were often misleading of the final product but also put a heavy toll on development. I for one am glad they're not focusing resources on creating highly polished vertical slices for showcases before the games are at a presentable state.

The best launch of a console by any measure. Given that it launched in the middle of a pandemic makes it even more impressive.
How can you have this opinion when ps2 had these in a similar amount of time (all were graphical showcases for the time as well):

GTA 3

Gran turismo 3

MGS 2

Silent hill 2

Devil may cry

Twisted metal

ICO

Tony Hawk 3

Ssx

Dynasty warriors 2

Zone of Enders

Red faction

Twisted metal black

MDK 2

Onimusha

Quake 3

Timesplitters

Tekken tag tournament

Midnight club

Armored core 2

Last edited:

Pelta88

How can you have this opinion when ps2 had these in a similar amount of time (all were graphical showcases for the time as well):

Because when the PS2 launched I was a child. And while that list is impressive, I couldn't buy those games. I had to wait for my mother to purchase games for me, which was rare.

PS5 launch I can purchase according to preference.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This series used to be known for pushing graphical boundaries on console. Its a fucking joke that this is cross gen, it looks only marginally better than the last game from 4 years ago. I was expecting it to at least look better than HFW, but its not even close.

Hopefully its just an underwhelming area of the game or something - cuz that looks very mid.

Don't argue with people who ask how a ps5 game should look compared to a ps4 one dude even when they have rift apart, demons and even a crossgen that looks fabolous like forbidden west, it's an already lost battle and they clearly prefer to defend sony than having better games in their nextgen console.

Save your brain cells broh, i know i lost half of them in the past 2 days already arguing who the fuck would be against better level design and tlou2 mechanics in tlou remake.
These types of people are the reason Sony doesn't bother trying to make games that truly show off the hardware they're on. Imagine spending $600 on a next gen console just to get games that are only slightly higher resolution than their last gen counterpart ...and then vehemently defending that while hurling insults at anyone that's angry about the situation. Now THAT is insane.

It's already bad enough to be a console gamer with mega games like RDR2 not even getting a simple 60 fps update but even new games now are beholden to the greediness/laziness of these companies. On PC if you have the hardware you can at least expect that hardware to be utilized. That is no longer a given on consoles even with the biggest franchises in gaming.

GymWolf

Mimir could actually be Odin's uncle.

Mímir
On the basis of Hávamál 140 – where Odin learns nine magic songs from the unnamed brother of his mother Bestla – some scholars have theorized that Bestla's brother may in fact be Mímir, who would then be Odin's maternal uncle. This also means that Mimir's father would be Bölþorn.
He probably gifted odin a pair of socks for his 14th birthday and this is why odin torture him every day?

Interesting...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This series used to be known for pushing graphical boundaries on console. Its a fucking joke that this is cross gen, it looks only marginally better than the last game from 4 years ago. I was expecting it to at least look better than HFW, but its not even close.

Hopefully its just an underwhelming area of the game or something - cuz that looks very mid.
Last year's trailer. Several different environments. All Look pretty much identical to the first.

Horizon FW looks so much better because GG made significant cuts to the base PS4 version's resolution to get more performance from its 1.84 tflops resolution. The 900p drop from HZD's 1080p resolution freed up roughly 45% more GPU power. They then added VRS to the base PS4 version to reduce the rendering load even further allow them to spend those GPU resources on better lighting, way better character models, and some incredible foliage later in the game. It came at the cost of clarity and shimmering for base PS4 users but hardly anyone played the game on that console with 70% buying it on PS5 even with the free PS4 upgrade. There is no way HFW runs on the PS4 at 1080p at PS5 quality visuals.

SSM seems to be targeting the same 1080p resolution on the base PS4 seeing as how minimal the graphics upgrade is. Kratos, Freya and the Dwarf look virtually identical. They couldve taken some pointers from GG who were able to give us an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 caliber upgrade even on the PS4 thanks to some smart decisions prioritizing visual fidelity over pixel counts and pixel clarity.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm going to buy and play this game on my Ps5 with the full knowledge that I'm playing a game made for the Playstation 4. Anyone expecting anything more than that is going to be sorely disappointed.

Fbh

I don't really think the graphics are an issue. It still looks better than most games and since it's made for Ps4 it should at least run nicely on Ps5 at 60fps without having to make big resolution or graphical sacrifices.

What's making this game underwhelming so far is how samey all the footage looks. All the environments look very similar to the places we spent like 20 hours in on the last game, the gameplay looks very similar, the enemies look very similar.
I think if you showed me something with this exact same graphical quality but it's Kratos on some crazy battlefield in Valhalla I'd feel completely differently about it.

The reveal trailer was the same. It was like ok here's Kratos in an icy cave, ok here he is talking with the same character you already know, ok here are some gameplay snippets in environments that look indistinguishable from the first game. The final reveal of the trailer was "there's some girl in it now".
Meanwhile the final Reveal in the GOW 3 reveal trailer was "oh you thought this were just some woods? nope you are on the back of a freaking titan climbing towards olympus!!"

I really hope they are just being extra tame. They know the game will sale on reputation and brand awareness alone so why spoil all the cool bits.

Last edited:
Are we really doing this again?
Discussing games is fucking depressing with you guys.

Jesus christ.

This will be 3 more months on how it all looks like shit like TLOU1 or how it all "looks the same" only for the game to come out and y'all looking like fools...again, lmao.
Deal with it. It's a hobby that costs money. We wait 5 years for sequels, we spent $500-600 for better hardware, and Sony's charging $10 more for games.

You can't expect a love fest when what we're getting isn't the leap in graphics we've had every other generation in history because Sony is greedy and has hamstrung their best studios with cross gen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What's making this game underwhelming so far is how samey all the footage looks. All the environments look very similar to the places we spent like 20 hours in on the last game, the gameplay looks very similar, the enemies look very similar.
I think if you showed me something with this exact same graphical quality but it's Kratos on some crazy battlefield in Valhalla I'd feel completely differently about it.
I haven't watched the new footage but if thats true then I would be disappointed, the enemy design was one my biggest issue with GOW 2018.

Jormatar

Man, I won’t lie.c it’s kinda disappointing that Sony Santa Monica, in this level of time, wasn’t allowed to bring cutting edge graphics to this game. Aren’t we starting year three for this generation soon? Why did I buy these consoles at launch
So you don't have to play this masterpiece of a game at 1080p 30fps like a fucking 2014 console peasant.

Despite looking somewhat similar to 2018 game, this game will still play and look great. I don't get why people are so down on the game. Did we watch the same footage where Kratos was flying all over the place while Atreus was shooting buildings down? You didn't have that shit in the previous game. And there must be so much more for them to show gameplay wise. I mean you still learned new mechanics at 20 hour mark in the last game and apparently this gameplay bit was from the very beginning considering Kratos didn't have heavy runic attack or talisman yet.

GymWolf

I haven't watched the new footage but if thats true then I would be disappointed, the enemy design was one my biggest issue with GOW 2018.
He fights some humanoid lizards, nothing too inspired design wise and they remotely look like the smilodon lizards in the previous ones (the lizard thing if i have guess), they probably have roots on north legends and shit.

More than the similarity, the design just look meh, and i liked the enemy design in the first one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He fights some humanoid lizards, nothing too inspired design wise and they remotely look like the smilodon lizards in the previous ones (the lizard thing if i have guess), they probably have roots on north legends and shit.

More than the similarity, the design just look meh, and i liked the enemy design in the first one.
I personally MUCH bigger fan of enemy designs in original trilogy compare to new GOW games.

Loxus

Deal with it. It's a hobby that costs money. We wait 5 years for sequels, we spent $500-600 for better hardware, and Sony's charging $10 more for games.

You can't expect a love fest when what we're getting isn't the leap in graphics we've had every other generation in history because Sony is greedy and has hamstrung their best studios with cross gen.
What does next-gen suppose to look like on a 10TF console?
Not to mention it's a PS4 game also.

History tends to repeat itself.
In the case of a console, we only start seeing a generation leap beginning half-way through the generation and this generation looks like it will last at least 10 years.

So you don't have to play this masterpiece of a game at 1080p 30fps like a fucking 2014 console peasant.

Despite looking somewhat similar to 2018 game, this game will still play and look great. I don't get why people are so down on the game. Did we watch the same footage where Kratos was flying all over the place while Atreus was shooting buildings down? You didn't have that shit in the previous game. And there must be so much more for them to show gameplay wise. I mean you still learned new mechanics at 20 hour mark in the last game and apparently this gameplay bit was from the very beginning considering Kratos didn't have heavy runic attack or talisman yet.
I’m not saying it won’t be good, I have faith it will be. I’m not saying it looks bad - because it doesn’t. The last one was one of the best looking games on ps4 - I just expected them to push this way farther. I woulda played it at 1080p at 30fps - like that jump to 60fps 4k hasn’t meant that much to me to justify an entirely new console generation.

Plus considering what HFW did graphically I thought ssm would match that. Gameplay Im sure will be great

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The first 2 years of this gen have been pretty dire from both MS and Sony, atleast Sony have delivered games but I never thought it would literally be souped up ps4 games.

When demons souls which is a bloody remake of a ps3 game is your best looking game of the generation someone's done fucked up.

This new footage looks identical to the 2018 game imo.

I'm still hyped as I have faith that overall it will be a great experience, but Sony is not at the top of their game like they were with peak ps4 games.

Maybe it's just me and I'm remembering with Rose tinted glasses.

Returnal and demons souls are actually the only two games I think have been up to the quality I expect and demons souls is all down to from softwares design with a lick of new paint. Miles Morales was fun and ratchet was OK at best as a fan of the series.

I guess I've written all that to say....its shitnthat one of my favourite games of last gen is subject to a cross gen port on the ps5 with very little to make it stand out vs the ps4....at least Horizon looked insane on ps5...but I couldn't be less interested in playing it.

SlimySnake

I mean... Isn't that what they're doing by allowing a larger group of playstation fans to play this.

I want shiney current gen focused games as much as anyone but I get the decision from a business point of view.
On the contrary. Their contract with the PS4 fanbase expired the moment they launched the PS5. It's the FIFTH playstation. Their fanbase has come to accept the fact that Sony will not release games for older consoles.

Now, their only priority are the 21 million people who paid $500 (now $550) to play NEXT GEN PS5 games. That is what is pro-consumer. That is what their fanbase deserves. The people who spent their hard earned money in this fucking economy on their new expensive as shit console. With every cross gen games Sony and MS release, they spit on that userbase to target a userbase who couldnt give two shits about buying consoles on day 1 or year 1. Those people dont buy games on day 1. They buy consoles in year 6 and 7. That larger group are not playstation fans. They are people who get Playstations for christmas because their parents have no idea what to fucking get them.

Sony had stats on year 1 early adopters vs everyone else. $1,700 vs $700 spend on console games and services. We are their cash cows. Not the soccer moms. We should be their priority.

On the contrary. Their contract with the PS4 fanbase expired the moment they launched the PS5. It's the FIFTH playstation. Their fanbase has come to accept the fact that Sony will not release games for older consoles.

Now, their only priority are the 21 million people who paid $500 (now $550) to play NEXT GEN PS5 games. That is what is pro-consumer. That is what their fanbase deserves. The people who spent their hard earned money in this fucking economy on their new expensive as shit console. With every cross gen games Sony and MS release, they spit on that userbase to target a userbase who couldnt give two shits about buying consoles on day 1 or year 1. Those people dont buy games on day 1. They buy consoles in year 6 and 7. That larger group are not playstation fans. They are people who get Playstations for christmas because their parents have no idea what to fucking get them.

Sony had stats on year 1 early adopters vs everyone else. $1,700 vs $700 spend on console games and services. We are their cash cows. Not the soccer moms. We should be their priority.
Yeah I don’t get it, why in year two are we acting like we still need to acquiesce to the older generation? It’s not like there’s no precedent - literally every PlayStation console moved onto the next gen once the console released. Why does this one have to be different?

Elios83

New combat looks amazing, fast, more fluid and connected, they removed the on rail feeling that GOW 2018 at times had because of no jump.

Clearly the Game Informer footage is just a small tease (and it was obvious that Sony was not going to give them more than that), they are obviously doing their bait trying to generate traffic over very little substance, basically they're acting like Geoff Keighley and his shows :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can't wait to see the next full GoW showcase by Sony itself, this is going to share the crown for best game of the year with Elden Ring.

Last edited:

nicoGec

Graphics are no issue.
The issue is that we’re 2 months from the release and we’re only seeing this vanilla ass realm and vanilla ass enemies.

Give us an epic story trailer soon showcasing the variety and scope of the game.

An improved, more varied & bigger scope GoW is enough to give Elden Ring a fight for GOTY.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
I'm going to buy and play this game on my Ps5 with the full knowledge that I'm playing a game made for the Playstation 4. Anyone expecting anything more than that is going to be sorely disappointed.
Yet Microsoft has failed to make a game look better than Sony’s best PS4 games. I think we’re alright. Shit nothing on PC rivals anything Sony’s first parties are doing. If anything we can accept the graphics for once, and let them optimize frames per second and gameplay, Especially if we want a sustainable and affordable future for game development. It’s not like we’re playing N64 games anymore…almost all games destroy the graphics of yesteryears.

Yet Microsoft has failed to make a game look better than Sony’s best PS4 games. I think we’re alright. Shit nothing on PC rivals anything Sony’s first parties are doing. If anything we can accept the graphics for once, and let them optimize frames per second and gameplay, Especially if we want a sustainable and affordable future for game development. It’s not like we’re playing N64 games anymore…almost all games destroy the graphics of yesteryears.
Yeah, I personally am fine with the graphics or even lesser graphics in AA games. I just am underwhelmed by the actual stuff shown artistically, gameplay wise, story wise. We just have hardly seen anything. The Breath of the Wild 2 initial teaser got me more hyped and it was the same graphics as the last game, and just showed some new villain and looked interesting at least.

I don't get hyped just off graphics. That part is pretty much fine. Could it be better? Yeah, sure. The people that want elite graphics have a point that it's cross gen. But I think we're going to just see less and less of the bleeding edge going forward. Yes, every system prior to PS5 was a clean break. But every single gen things just take longer and longer, and get more expensive to make, and less experimental. 4.5 years for this.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Go play gears 5 and hivebusters and come back to me. Hivebusters looks as good as god of war 2018. Just because it doesn't have hype and mass market interest it doesn't make the graphics and performance any less impressive.

GymWolf

Yeah I don’t get it, why in year two are we acting like we still need to acquiesce to the older generation? It’s not like there’s no precedent - literally every PlayStation console moved onto the next gen once the console released. Why does this one have to be different?
It's literally false, ps2, ps3 qnd ps4 had their major exclusive without an old gen version, they were third parties that did that.

Stuff like kz4 and infamous 3 were only possible because only made for ps4, same for ancient stuff like tekken tag or doa 2 on ps2 or resistance and motorstorm on ps3 and i'm talking about launch window games, not even year 1-2 games.

Ps3 sold 80 fucking millions and they had no problem leaving that behind, same for ps1 and ps2.

The only literal explanation here is greed, and yes making money is important but when you create expectations for 4 consecutive gens, you can't really fault the fanboys for being pissed at you, ESPECIALLY when you apply the crossgen treatment to your new best ip from past gen (horizon) and the sequel of the best most awarded game from past gen (gow) but then somehow decide that fucking returnal and ratched deserve the nextgen only treatament...is like spitting on your fanbase with a smile in your face.

Last edited:
It's literally false, ps2, ps3 qnd ps4 had their major exclusive without an old gen version, they were third parties that did that.

Stuff like kz4 and infamous 3 were only possible because only made for ps4, same for ancient stuff like tekken tag or doa 2 on ps2 or resistance and motorstorm on ps3 and i'm talking about launch window games, not even year 1-2 games.

Ps3 sold 80 fucking millions and they had no problem leaving that behind, same for ps1 and ps2.

The only literal explanation here is greed, and yes making money is important but when you create expectations for 4 consecutive gens, you can't really fault the fanboys for being pissed at you, ESPECIALLY when you apply the crossgen treatment to your new best ip from past gen (horizon) and the sequel of the best most awarded game from past gen (gow) but then somehow decide that fucking returnal and ratched deserve the nextgen only treatament...is like spitting on your fanbase with a smile in your face.
yeah I didn’t even think about ps3, like going from ps2 to ps3 - which the ps2 was so incredibly successful at the time that moving on must’ve been even harder than ps4 to ps5. But they still did it.

SlimySnake

Cyberpunk on PC looks amazing with ray tracing maxed out but yeah Sony has been offering a lot of great looking games despite being held back by last gen consoles. Gow looks fine but way too similar and doesn’t seem to be utilizing any next Gen features which just makes it stand out and not in a good way.

I was playing horizon last night to check out its new hdr patch and my goodness it makes gow ragnorak look extremely dated and it’s a last gen game held back by the same last gen limitations. Gg simply did a better job making their sequel look better. Insomiac added ray tracing in a launch game with better hair rendering on ps5. No idea why ssm seems to be phoning this in, at least when it comes to visual upgrades.

dA52IDB.jpg

MGC5Qmp.jpg

GymWolf

Cyberpunk on PC looks amazing with ray tracing maxed out but yeah Sony has been offering a lot of great looking games despite being held back by last gen consoles. Gow looks fine but way too similar and doesn’t seem to be utilizing any next Gen features which just makes it stand out and not in a good way.

I was playing horizon last night to check out its new hdr patch and my goodness it makes gow ragnorak look extremely dated and it’s a last gen game held back by the same last gen limitations. Gg simply did a better job making their sequel look better. Insomiac added ray tracing in a launch game with better hair rendering on ps5. No idea why ssm seems to be phoning this in, at least when it comes to visual upgrades.

dA52IDB.jpg

MGC5Qmp.jpg
I'm sorry, did you said new hdr patch? what do you mean new?

SlimySnake

I'm sorry, did you said new hdr patch? what do you mean new?
They apparently made it work with ps5s os hdr setting and added HGIG support if you have the lg oleds. It kinda messed up GamingTech’s recommended hdr settings so he made a new video to give his new updated settings. Higher peak brightness etc

Top Bottom