• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarök - How Sony Santa Monica's level designers made the new dwarven realm, Svartalfheim, larger than life

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wish they went open world, hate having to go down a limited number of set paths. Or like halo infinite where u have an open world and you can get to levels any way you wish, I don't get the need for whindy specific paths I just want to see the location on the map and I go in that direction and I will get there.

Also it's going to be one of those sequels which has the same levels, though aged or changed somehow. This has been in gaming a long time, I kinda like it, kinda old school.

Last edited:
wish they went open world,
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Jormatar

Watching the 4K footage with Kratos standing still you can definately see they have improved the image quality on Kratos and his axe. But the biggest graphical improvement seem to be on improved LoD in the background. LoD in GoW was pretty blurry in far away objects. Lightning also seems better as well as the particle/liquid effects.

Game will be a looker for sure.

Bartski

Gold Member
Watching the 4K footage with Kratos standing still you can definately see they have improved the image quality on Kratos and his axe. But the biggest graphical improvement seem to be on improved LoD in the background. LoD in GoW was pretty blurry in far away objects. Lightning also seems better as well as the particle/liquid effects.

Game will be a looker for sure.
yeah and crazy good materials up close. You can see pores on the scalp

SSfox

It looks awesome. Honestly i feel just seeing this new puzzle thing is already too much. At this point i think i dont want more than a good story trailer with minimum spoil but just to hype it up.

Fredrik

Some new mechanics are cool, I wonder if you can get the geiser to freeze at specific heights depending on where you aim the axe.
Looks alright but I’m not falling off my chair.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is this issue of GameInformer on the shelves yet

I always find it interesting that it's Game Informer with these exclusive first looks on games.
I take it youve missed the "IGN First" articles?

Whoever bids the best gets the exclusive.
Big games dont come out all that often, and getting the Game Informer cover is a big get, so bigger games generally go to Game Informer cuz its gonna be on the shelves the whole month, basically a "free" billboard in every store that sells the magazine.

Why would anyone prefer something that God of war or fable 2 has over an open world, you prefer less freedom and false barriers?

I would like it to be something like this. Where there's no whindy corridors to the realms, or at least no a long one.

YV1mcEz.png

more doesn't mean better. The only thing an open world setting would do for God of War is add more filler which the game really doesn't need more of. You also lose a good amount of handcrafted and intricate details in larger open worlds, which just degrades the setting even more

if anything i'd prefer the game to be more linear

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
still no but I see where you're going with this. I think wide linear is perfectly fine for this series
In the first one navigation and the map/layout was not the best, they made it too complicated.

Could be hardware related though.

It's why infinite had problems, going from linear levels to any type of open or semi open is hard.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't get why they're showing so much of this brown, ugly place (I mean, the water looks nice, but the rest, eh). It's not especially visually wowing IMO, I'm sure the game has locations that look much more spectacular. Maybe even some with more than one color.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would anyone prefer something that God of war or fable 2 has over an open world, you prefer less freedom and false barriers?

I would like it to be something like this. Where there's no whindy corridors to the realms, or at least no a long one.

YV1mcEz.png

A big reason for the original having all those narrow corridors and slow boat rides between places was almost certainly to make it possible to load the various detailed locations in time on PS4. Would not have been possible with a fully open world at the same detail level.

On PS5 it would be, but Ragnarok is also a PS4 game, so. Hopefully stuff like traveling between different realms will at least be pretty much instant on PS5.

Last edited:
A big reason for the original having all those narrow corridors and slow boat rides between places was almost certainly to make it possible to load the various detailed locations in time on PS4. Would not have been possible with a fully open world at the same detail level.

On PS5 it would be, but Ragnarok is also a PS4 game, so. Hopefully stuff like traveling between different realms will at least be pretty much instant on PS5.

Hopefully they give us the option to skip the world tree in the PS5 version. There's no need to run around in circles with the PS5s I/O hardware.

ClosBSAS

i mean..i dont want to offend sony fans and the developers...but really? this is just more of the same....nothing here is impressive.

Am i the only one that doesn't want to see a lot more footage?
Like...what else do you guys need?

It'll play like God of War. We already knew what it will be about. You know you'll travel to all realms etc...

All i want is the game.

It's weird you guys are worried about the marketing campaign of a game you already know it's coming, when it's coming and how it will play.
Cuz you are already sold. You don't count.

YV1mcEz.png
I would much prefer it to be structured like God of war 2018 than a full blown open world.

Open worlds have just become bloated and exhausting even good ones like elden ring and Horizon.

God of war 2018 always felt like it had just the right amount of exploration without being overwhelming.

Open worlds ironically despite being objectively huge often feel small. I never feel like I am on an adventure in any of them just running errands back and forth, fast travel doesn't help either.

God of wars structure had a good adventure feel despite revisting locations etc.

Ragnaorak can expand a bit I.e. it would be cool if you can get off the sledge anytime and walk around but I definitely don't want it turning into far cry.

Right, I get the lore behind his skin tone, but the texture filtering is that of an old Call of Duty game. You throw horizon up against this game and the textures are noticeably better.
I dunno the specific reason or technical aspect of it. But it thought the first game had a lackluster lighting implementation. It lacked "atmospheric" gravitas/vibe.

Markio128

Tbh, I kind of glad that the devs are talking more about combat and level design than visual effects. It means they are focusing on the gameplay above all else. I don’t think it looks too shabby either.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Freezing water geyser puzzles is kind of lame. Like they are struggling to find interesting gameplay elements.

Top Bottom