• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

isoRhythm

Banned
ludicrissssss.jpg
Has science gone too far?

xRHhAj3.jpg

isoRhythm

Banned
This should be a unifying moment, no need to trip.
it's almost beautiful. One of the best games on the last 5 years, belonging to a franchise that's never graced PC before, and here it is, doing solid numbers and bringing the franchise to a new audience through a fantastic port.
Whether Sony continues to port games after the fact, or whether they port 'em day 1... this is a good time to be a PC gamer, this is a good time to be a fan of God of War, this is a good time to share one of the better PS4 experiences with friends who may have skipped back in the day.
Not to mention it's really well optimized, no mtx/season-pass bs, no deluxe/gold version bs, achievements (Im looking at you Ubisoft), and more features for the PC crowd (DLSS, FSR, & widescreen support).

Tempted to double-dip

Not to mention it's really well optimized, no mtx/season-pass bs, no deluxe/gold version bs, achievements (Im looking at you Ubisoft), and more features for the PC crowd (DLSS, FSR, & widescreen support).

Tempted to double-dip
I double dipped. Didn't get time to play yesterday but will give it a go after work today. Still can't believe I didn't get around to finishing it on PS4.

The game already sold over 19.5 million copies. It's already a success.
I think he's having a very hard time accepting the game is doing well on Steam.

Last edited:

XTA

Neo Member

Tempted to double-dip
It has so much going for it. My only wish is that I could earn PS trophies playing these games, but it's nbd really.

Runs well on PC, runs well on PS4, runs well on PS5, looks great across all platforms. Can't go wrong playing any version of the game, no matter where or how you prefer to play. An absolute success in my mind.

XTA

Neo Member
What are the estimates for actual PC sales?

500K?

Seems like a really small amount of sales for only 18 Million in Revenue. Makes me wonder why Sony bothers with PC at all when their games sell like 20M on their consoles. It's a drop in the bucket.
This game just came out two days ago, and will continue to be available on PC indefinitely. It's going to continue to make Sony money for years, even if they were to drop support for the PC version tomorrow. Give it a few weeks and this game will have sold well over a million copies on PC, despite having been available for cheap on affordable hardware for years already - thereby introducing new players to the brand, and granting Sony a fresh new opportunity to accept their money :p

Last edited:
This game just came out two days ago, and will continue to be available on PC indefinitely. It's going to continue to make Sony money for years, even if they were to drop support for the PC version tomorrow. Give it a few weeks and this game will have sold well over a million copies on PC, despite having been available for cheap on affordable hardware for years already - thereby introducing new players to the brand, and granting Sony a fresh new opportunity to accept their money :p

Even if it does 1M, that's really small in comparison to overall GOW sales.

Free money is free money, but it seems like penny pinching.

kingfey

Banned

Those are day1. plus it took them 4 years to achieve that. Especially, when the console reached 110m+ sales.

i wouldnt boost about those numbers.

MHW itself sold 5m copies. God of war can do sales like that.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

If they make $20 million thats still nice.

Ryan, Herman, Cerny and shu can hit vegas, with style.

But I get what you mean.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I also believe Rise will sell better in the end. I'm just laughing cause he was like a parrot saying this stuff yesterday and he was wrong.
Nope, I'm absolutely right. I actually thought GOW would sell better, and that's how I voted in that poll but it turned out to be the opposite. MHR is probably at 2x where GOW is currently, and that gap will only grow as the DLC is released.

XTA

Neo Member

I don't know what your angle is, but I think I get the underlying logic here.

You ought to look at this less like a short-term profit generator for Sony, and more like an investment into the brand.

Yes, God of War is already -profoundly- successful on Sony's own hardware. God of War 2018, on its own merit, brought the franchise to a new level of success and recognition - moreso than ever, God of War is evergreen, in the same way that games like TLOU and Gran Tourismo are.

An argument could be made for keeping those games on Playstation hardware, but Sony's market plan (unlike, say, Nintendo's) doesn't have to revolve entirely around getting their hardware into people's homes - because Sony is doing the work to expand the scope of their revenue channels beyond just 'selling games to owners of our hardware'. In the case of these PC ports, Sony is choosing to leverage select titles in order to bolster their brands, and to initiate a wider range of players into their ecosystems and revenue channels.

God of War on PC is a game that will continue to sell well for years to come, on the back of its strengths as a video game - its solid performance on even midrange hardware, its excellent production and refined asthetic, its goddamn enjoyable gameplay and mechanics - and in doing so, it will expose new players to the brand, and give them more reason than they've ever had before to look forward to future God of War games - wherever they choose to play them. Not to mention, give future fans of the franchise and future PC owners both, a backchannel into playing a version of the game that will potentially sing on the hardware it's being used on.

So you've got a PC port that, on its own, will go on to sell millions of units over the years - this year, and the next, and the next - while broadening the scope of the franchise's userbase in such a way that people who'd never given much thought to God of War before, may find themselves now spending money on God of War products in whatever form they come... whether that's future PC ports, the purchase of a PS console to broaden one's options, or through future (near-future?) PS services which may enable non-owners a new route into the PS ecosystem. In addition to expanded brand offerings like theoretical TV shows, movies, comics, what have you.

It's not just a move to make money in the short term - it's a move to establish God of War as something more people find worth watching and engaging with in the long term. In Sony's eyes, there is money to be made in doing so in the long term... else, they wouldn't be engaging in these porting efforts at all.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Playing this game again but on PC amazing forgot how rich the story is and gameplay is smooth. Really looking forward to #2 if they get that release same day on PC but doubt it.

Its oke, it was a joke..

I do think Sony should release all their big games on Windows tho, its a good money maker and we all win.
I don't really worry about the money side, Sony should definitely tho.

My question is more like it was for Xbox, if I have a gaming PC what will be my incentive to get in their ecosystem at some point?

XTA

Neo Member
God of War isn't beating Monster Hunter in sales (it's #1 on the charts... because MH:R's tracked sales are split between two different editions of the game, which occupy the #2 and #3 spots respectively), and it isn't going to, for what it's worth. That's not to say that God of War is performing badly on PC, though. It's doing excellent, with sales that are apparently closer to MH:R than I would have personally imagined.

Last edited:
I don't know what your angle is, but I think I get the underlying logic here.

You ought to look at this less like a short-term profit generator for Sony, and more like an investment into the brand.

Yes, God of War is already -profoundly- successful on Sony's own hardware. God of War 2018, on its own merit, brought the franchise to a new level of success and recognition - moreso than ever, God of War is evergreen, in the same way that games like TLOU and Gran Tourismo are.

An argument could be made for keeping those games on Playstation hardware, but Sony's market plan (unlike, say, Nintendo's) doesn't have to revolve entirely around getting their hardware into people's homes - because Sony is doing the work to expand the scope of their revenue channels beyond just 'selling games to owners of our hardware'. In the case of these PC ports, Sony is choosing to leverage select titles in order to bolster their brands, and to initiate a wider range of players into their ecosystems and revenue channels.

God of War on PC is a game that will continue to sell well for years to come, on the back of its strengths as a video game - its solid performance on even midrange hardware, its excellent production and refined asthetic, its goddamn enjoyable gameplay and mechanics - and in doing so, it will expose new players to the brand, and give them more reason than they've ever had before to look forward to future God of War games - wherever they choose to play them. Not to mention, give future fans of the franchise and future PC owners both, a backchannel into playing a version of the game that will potentially sing on the hardware it's being used on.

So you've got a PC port that, on its own, will go on to sell millions of units over the years - this year, and the next, and the next - while broadening the scope of the franchise's userbase in such a way that people who'd never given much thought to God of War before, may find themselves now spending money on God of War products in whatever form they come... whether that's future PC ports, the purchase of a PS console to broaden one's options, or through future (near-future?) PS services which may enable non-owners a new route into the PS ecosystem. In addition to expanded brand offerings like theoretical TV shows, movies, comics, what have you.

It's not just a move to make money in the short term - it's a move to establish God of War as something more people find worth watching and engaging with in the long term. In Sony's eyes, there is money to be made in doing so in the long term... else, they wouldn't be engaging in these porting efforts at all.

By that same argument, Sony would also benefit from porting to Xbox (perhaps even more than PC), and yet they don't.

Why? What makes PC different?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
God of War isn't beating Monster Hunter in sales (it's #1 on the charts... because MH:R's tracked sales are split between two different editions of the game, which occupy the #2 and #3 spots respectively), and it isn't going to, for what it's worth. That's not to say that God of War is performing badly on PC, though. It's doing excellent, with sales that are apparently closer to MH:R than I would have personally imagined.
yup. The normal edition, and the deluxe edition.

If you dont want both together, you can buy the dlc later.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Sea of Thieves was avaliable trough PC Gamepass and MS Store for years, yet sold more than 5 million copies on Steam alone with a way smaller number of concurrent players. If that is anything to go by, we aren't talking penny pinching, but there will always be console warriors in these threads, I guess.

yurinka

500K?
In the first couple of days more or less it may have sould around that, possibly a bit more. For the lifetime sales of the PC port, multiply that for around 10 to get the Steam numbers. And add an aprox. 10% more on top from other stores.

So around 5 million units, which means a lot of money that already generated all the money it could on console selling around 20M units.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member

500K?

Seems like a really small amount of sales for only 18 Million in Revenue. Makes me wonder why Sony bothers with PC at all when their games sell like 20M on their consoles. It's a drop in the bucket.

Where did you get 500k from?

yurinka

My question is more like it was for Xbox, if I have a gaming PC what will be my incentive to get in their ecosystem at some point?
In the case of Sony, to play the exclusives the aren't/won't be ported to pc. And to don't wait years to get the PC port for those that get ported. Plus to spend less money on hardware.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Ah, but weren’t these two versions supposed to be number 2 and 3?

Anyway…
JmLiY6h.gif
Don't forget that MHR was out two days before GOW. Let's give it a week and see where the numbers stand, but as of today, MHR has absolutely outsold GOW and it's likely not even close. The number of concurrent players has consistently been much higher on MHR.

XTA

Neo Member
By that same argument, Sony would also benefit from porting to Xbox (perhaps even more than PC), and yet they don't.

Ask Sony, lol. PC and Xbox are not 1:1 as platforms. There are plenty of reasons why a party like Sony might see profit in and feel comfortable with engaging in an open PC market - one which they can engage with in their own ways and on their own terms moving forward if they so choose...

...rather than a closed market, owned and operated solely by their chief competing entity in the industry, through which the sale of games, services, and in-app payments, and all associated data, would not only be visible to said competitor, but would enrich them directly via revenue splits and bolstering of the Xbox brand.

Sony has options on PC, and a degree of freedom to persue their own interests that wouldn't exist on Xbox. As of now, they are selling ports of some games through Steam, with a revenue split that evens out to about 80/20 - however, if at some point in the future, Sony desires to leverage and repurpose their own existing data delivery infrastructure in order to develop their own launcher on PC, thereby eliminating the need to pay Valve in order to host games on their market and infrastructure - then they could do that. If Sony were to develop a subscription game service for use across platforms, then Sony could give access to that service on PC without having to certify on Xbox, without needing to deal with any imposed revenue splits on in-app purchases, without thereby exposing their sales metrics to their competitor. If Sony suddenly stopped desiring to port their games over to PC, then this recent run of games on PC won't have directly bolstered their chief competitor's gaming brand - it really would have just been a bit of short term 'free money' for them. And so on. Fewer impositions, more opportunies to choose where and how they deliver their product.

Last edited:

yurinka

It will reach 1M next week or so.

fuertes.gif

PC has a way bigger userbase than Xbox and a more different type of players, plus PC covers some countries that PS/Nintendo/Xbox don't, and some of them are already pretty top (like China or Korea) or are growing very fast (South America). Becoming popular on these countries doesn't only help them with the games. But also with the movies and tv show that will use these IPs.

And even in countries where consoles are popular, console players may be moving between Xbox, PS and Nintendo. But there are many PC gamers who will never buy a console.

Plus some people have the console in the living room and the pc in the bedroom, or soon may have a Steamdeck. So they may buy the game again even if already have it on console, even if it's only to play it with substantial visual or performance improvements, something it wouldn't happen on Xbox.

Last edited:
I'll still never understand all the people so hell-bent on Sony games staying off of PC. The amount of people that would just buy a PC instead of a Playstation console is negligible, console gamers generally will play on console regardless, and PC gamers probably weren't buying Playstation consoles in droves anyways. And considering how few multiplayer games Sony makes, it's not like somebody who only plays Playstation exclusives is going to result in some massive revenue loss by buying on PC instead of Playstation. And even if it resulted in a more-than-marginal decline in Playstation console sales, wouldn't the big increase in people playing Playstation exclusives be better for anybody not financially dependent on Sony?

Top Bottom