• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

nani17

are in a big trouble
Yeah this is almost reaching the double of what the OP mentioned and the game is still glued to the top of the best sellers list. Not bad!
Just edited the front post. Delighted so many people aren't getting to play this masterpiece of a game. Loved it on the ps4 and I'm loving now on my pc

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It really shows that outside of being a "Playstation exclusive" people don't really give a fuck.

It will never not be funny to me that Playstation fans insist people are missing out on these exclusives, only to be met with a collective shrug.
Did you say the same thing when Forza Horizon 5 came out Day 1 and barely managed to do more than GOW? I guess no one cares about RDR2, Assassin’s Creed, Sea of Thieves and Resident Evil too since GOW beat them all 🤡

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It was funny to see the typical Xbox gamers on the first few pages of this thread. Whenever non-Xbox gamers discuss Xbox game sales, they're always accused of downplaying or being salty.

The game already sold 19.5 million copies on PlayStation alone, anything more is just icing on the cake at this point.

Flutta

Banned
When gamepass?
Laughing Man Lol GIF

Relique

Yay!

I don't think that this is a very relevant metric, a game that peaks fast but has no legs in its sales... well.

Anyway, it tells us that the game is relevant, I liked it... I may even try it on PC just to see.
I agree. It's not for the overall sales over time but it's a good indicator of strong initial interest. Beyond this short period we have to wait for official numbers. Games have fizzled out before after a strong launch. I think in this case strong reviews with potential future discounts should mean it does okay at least. I just want this to succeed so that we may get future titles.

Relique

We are talking about steam CCU, the highest RDR2 got was 55K and that was when it launched. It has been maintaining a steady 20K - 30K weekly CCU since launch which is impressive by itself for just a single-player game. I don't think GOW will be able to maintain that.
RDR2 has a surprisingly strong online community actually. People like to yeehaw together

Tripolygon

Banned
If someone had shown me this picture just 2 years ago I wouldn't believe it lmao
Likewise to be honest and its not a bad thing. Lots of people who otherwise wouldn't get to play these games now will and like everything on PC, it is forever available to play instead of relying on emulation.

Last edited:

yurinka

Did you say the same thing when Forza Horizon 5 came out Day 1 and barely managed to do more than GOW? I guess no one cares about RDR2, Assassin’s Creed, Sea of Thieves and Resident Evil too since GOW beat them all 🤡

It’s still below Forza Horizon 4&5 as far as I can see, which apparently no one would pay for because of Game Pass.

Good numbers for GoW though, 70k is more than respectable.

An hour ago GoW achieved a new record of concurrent users, 73,529. I got curious with your posts so I went to check out some numbers.

So in a couple of days it passed the all time peak concurrent users records of Sea of Thieves (66,906 users), all Assassin's Creed (I think the record was 62,069) and Sony ports (record was 56,557 with Horizon), RDR2 (55,271) or Forza Horizon 4 (40,399). You can add Gears 5 (10,196). Pretty similar to Age of Empires IV, the best selling ones in the series (73,928) but obviosly below the Halo Infinite (272,586, it's a F2P and the SP a DLC for it) and Halo MCC (161,024, 6 games bundle where they are added during a year, at launch only had Reach).

Forza Horizon 5 had an all time peak record of 81,096 users. The SteamDB stores old dates showing for each UTC day its concurrent users peak. GoW still didn't complete its 3rd UTC day and has a 73,529 record. Forza Horizon 4 had a record of 74,323 after its 2nd UTC day and 80,859 after is 3rd UTC day. Right now they are in pretty similar numbers, on the same league.

Regarding RE, these are their all time records:
RE Village of 106,631
RE2 remake 74,227
RE3 remake 60,293
RE VII 20,449
RE6 11,879
REmake 4,388
RE Rev 2 3,686
RE 0 3,128
RE 4 2,447
RE 5 2,585
RE Rev 2,095

Additional all time records from relatively similar games in terms of genre:
DMCV 88,894
DmC 5,757
DMC4 SE 4,500
Bayonetta 4,194
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1,603
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 722
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 647
DMC HD Collection 591
DMC4 501
DMC3 SE 145
Ninja Gaiden Z 121

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Calm down Jackie, you’re talking about 5k more than Sea of Thieves, a game that’s regularly mocked on here despite selling 5m copies on Steam.

It’s still below Forza Horizon 4&5 as far as I can see, which apparently no one would pay for because of Game Pass.

Good numbers for GoW though, 70k is more than respectable.

Rivet

It will never not be funny to me that Playstation fans insist people are missing out on these exclusives, only to be met with a collective shrug.

Joke post? God of War sold 20 million copies you know. Where's the collective shrug? I think their competition would be pretty happy to get as much success and get as many game of the year awards.

This kind of posts will never not be funny indeed.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It was funny to see the typical Xbox gamers on the first few pages of this thread. Whenever non-Xbox gamers discuss Xbox game sales, they're always accused of downplaying or being salty.

The game already sold 19.5 million copies on PlayStation alone, anything more is just icing on the cake at this point.
And unfortunately you're just continuing the cycle.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Huge success, now it's time for Bloodborne.

Your joking right? Another game that failed to sell over a million day 1. I guess if your comparing to indy games it's a success.

Owners: 200,000 .. 500,000

Your joking right? Another game that failed to sell over a million day 1. I guess if your comparing to indy games it's a success.

the launch what GIF by CTV

1. steamspy are estimates
2. the game is 4 years old
3. it's looking to sell more than HZD did
4. yes, huge success

Glad for PC players for getting to play this title.
It's in the top 10 PS4 games imo.

Replayed it on PS5 and the 60 fps does wonders for the game.

As many have said: Now release Bloodborne remake (or next gen patch or whatever).

yurinka

What are you talking about? This game sold 3.1 millions on 3 days at launch, sold 19.5 millions until August 2021 and now almost 4 years after launch got ported to PC, where -too- early numbers seem to be on track to sell around 4-5 millions more or maybe even more. Adding extra console sales made since August until the end of its cycle, it will have sold pretty likely over 25 million copies during all its lifetime.

It's a 4 year old game which already sold 20 million copies. You won't get millions more sales. Those who wanted to play it mostly already did.
I suggest you to check out my recent post where these early concurrent user peak numbers get compared to other games. And then to check out in https://steamdb.info/ the games with similar numbers, go to their 'charts' tab and scroll down to check out their sales estimations to get a rough idea of these game sales on Steam.

It's still too early but seems to be on track to achieve around 4-5M units sold on Steam, maybe 3-6M. But for sure not under a million. It will get the first million of units sold on Steam probably on a week or two. A bit faster if we add sales from the Epic Games Store.

Last edited:
We are talking about steam CCU, the highest RDR2 got was 55K and that was when it launched. It has been maintaining a steady 20K - 30K weekly CCU since launch which is impressive by itself for just a single-player game. I don't think GOW will be able to maintain that.
Thought your were comparing current numbers. My bad 👍.

Alphagear

It's a 4 year old game which already sold 20 million copies. You won't get 10 millions more sales. Those who wanted to play it mostly already did.

Why bother releasing these games on PC if the excuse is it is 4 years old, already sold 20 million and those who wanted to play it already did?

Considering the port begging we witnessed for these games the sales have been average. Looks like more a case of PCMR simply wanting these games on PC to soothe their egos after blowing thousands on their hardware. Buying and playing these games is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Rivet

Why bother releasing these games on PC if the excuse is it is 4 years old, already sold 20 million and those who wanted to play it already did?

Considering the port begging we witnessed for these games the sales have been average.

It's easy additional revenue, ports are cheap. It's also a way to make everybody know their games.

They're #1 in sales on Steam by the way, sales are good. They may end up at a few millions.

They already made tons of money in God of War selling 20 million copies anyway.

Top Bottom