• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

Von Hugh

Don't forget the main reason

sample-1586fcd6a7122c7145573cc57e14232c.jpg

I can certainly feel something rising alright.

Everyone saying "now they will just wait for it to come to PC" yeah some will. But there will be others who will be hyped enough to get a console and play the sequel coming this year and not wait 3 years.
But at what ratio? And will those people buy more than that game and subscribe to Sony's services if they already have a pc beefy enough to play GOW? Buying a PS5 just for one or a few exclusives is bad for Sony (especially with the shortage) and in my opinion one of the reasons why they are going for pc.

Stuart360

Everyone saying "now they will just wait for it to come to PC" yeah some will. But there will be others who will be hyped enough to get a console and play the sequel coming this year and not wait 3 years.
Sure some will, i used to be PC and console gamer too.
But if the PC masses werent rushing to buy a Playstation when zero PS games were coming to PC, why would they now when games are coming?
And if GOW ends up selling 3-4mil on PC over the next year or two, the sequel will come to PC 100%.

I know some of you love this 'master stroke' move by Sony to brainwash PC gamers into buying PS5's, but it really isnt that at all.
I mean Sony are barely making any profit on PS5 console sales as it is, releasing games on PC though is straight profit, and they didnt buy PC porting houses to try and hide their ',master plan'.

zkorejo

But if the PC masses werent rushing to buy a Playstation when zero PS games were coming to PC, why would they now when games are coming?
And if GOW ends up selling 3-4mil on PC over the next year or two, the sequel will come to PC 100%.

I know some of you love this 'master stroke' move by Sony to brainwash PC gamers into buying PS5's, but it really isnt that at all.
I mean Sony are barely making any profit on PS5 console sales as it is, releasing games on PC though is straight profit, and they didnt buy PC porting houses to try and hide their ',master plan'.
Im not calling it a master stroke by any means. It seems like they want to expand their consumer base and there's nothing wrong with releasing a 2-3 year old game on PC. There are more PCs now than ever before I read this somewhere. Sony knows their USP is their first party exclusives. They are merely using that to attract more people towards their brands. At worst, they just sold a copy.

I don't see how this hurts Sony. Existing console gamers will buy consoles anyways. This cant really do them any harm. The only question is how much good can it do them in the long run.

I don't believe for one second that Sony fans will boycott Sony for releasing first party titles years later on PC. So they have got nothing to lose. How much they gain remains to be seen. So why not.

zkorejo

But at what ratio? And will those people buy more than that game and subscribe to Sony's services if they already have a pc beefy enough to play GOW? Buying a PS5 just for one or a few exclusives is bad for Sony (especially with the shortage) and in my opinion one of the reasons why they are going for pc.
Nobody would just buy a console to play one game ofcourse. Once they are in, they would like to use it more. They will end up getting more games on it. Selling them on that one game they can't resist is the trick. And for Sony those games have always been their exclusives. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot is all I'm saying.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I remember when all the crap that was being thrown at MS for their games being on PC and them not having true exclusives yet here’s the series consoles outselling the Xbox one. PlayStation will be more than fine with their brand and console fan base.

this is just fear of the unknown from PlayStation fans. They will be fine once some time has passed.

make a good product and people will buy it. It’s a win win for us gaming fans and will ensure that games stay great across all platforms.

no way Sony will release 30 fps only games now if there’s a pc port running at over 60fps within a year of launch.

im so hyped for this and it will me me double dip on a lot more games. I need that GoW in my steam launcher.

Nobody would just buy a console to play one game ofcourse. Once they are in, they would like to use it more. They will end up getting more games on it. Selling them on that one game they can't resist is the trick. And for Sony those games have always been their exclusives. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot is all I'm saying.
But we are talking about owners of beefy pcs. Why would they buy more expensive 3rd parties in worse quality and also pay for online gaming? That tricks works for people who can't decide between Xbox or PlayStation, but rarely for pc owners.

b6a6es

Banned

Tell that To Microsoft, who are selling Series S/X much faster than Xbox ones (despite being day/date with PC since , With GAMEPASS on PC too nonetheless), tell me why would xbox sales ever increase if there’s literally no advantage in owning an Xbox instead of PC ?

Can’t you simply ask that maybe, not all GoW PC buyers have high end PC ? Many of them have low/mid End Pc’s and can’t afford new high end GPU’s that are now exceeding the 1500$ price point (That’s MSRP’s pricing, let alone scalper prices from mining)

I could see people buying PS5 to play Horizon & GoW sequels, to enjoy that 4K next gen experience at 500$

Last edited:

zkorejo

But we are talking about owners of beefy pcs. Why would they buy more expensive 3rd parties in worse quality and also pay for online gaming? That tricks works for people who can't decide between Xbox or PlayStation, but rarely for pc owners.
If they have to wait 3 years to get the game they have been waiting for. They will. Hype is the pull. People impulse buy stuff based on hype. We have all been there. There's a reason why stuff like preorder bonuses and "day 0/minus" exists.

If they have to wait 3 years to get the game they have been waiting for. They will. Hype is the pull. People impulse buy stuff based on hype. We have all been there. There's a reason why stuff like preorder bonuses and "day 0/minus" exists.
What does that have to do with my post? I said that some owners of beefy pcs may get a PS5 for an exclusive, but that most of those won't buy anything else which makes them bad customers for Sony. It's better for Sony to keep these people on the pc.

zkorejo

What does that have to do with my post? I said that some owners of beefy pcs may get a PS5 for an exclusive, but that most of those won't buy anything else which makes them bad customers for Sony. It's better for Sony to keep these people on the pc.
A customer that buys a console and buys 1 game every year is still better than zero, in my books atleast.

zkorejo

Not in mine. Right now those people are blocking PS5s for "real" customers and worst case would be if they get that one game used on disc and resell it again.
Right now, sure. But when it's all said and done, they sold more consoles. The chip shortages will end by the end of this year. Pricing and availability should be normal by next year.

There's no way they can control if a casual or "real" gamer is getting the consoles.

They are doing what any seller would do, try and create as much demand for their product as possible. And this does it.

Last edited:
Right now, sure. But when it's all said and done, they sold more consoles. The chip shortages will end by the end of this year. Pricing and availability should be normal by next year.

There's no way they can control if a casual or "real" gamer is getting the consoles.

They are doing what any seller would do, try and create as much demand for their product as possible. And this does it.
Most pc owners are no good customers anyways, shortage or not.

Take me as an example when i had a very good pc:
Got a refurbished PS4 for 80 bucks in 2016 + all games used on disc and resold them. Sony didn't make any money with me and because of my reselling they probably even lost money. If i had a warranty issue they definatley would have lost money.

If you consider all the costs for the development of a console they just don't make money with the hardware. They need you to buy lots of 3rd party games and subscriptions. That's where the money lies.

They would do better with Day1 pc releases, because that makes them much more money. I would say that they sell at least 70-80% more copies than with later releases, because the day1 sales would massively profit from the console marketing and people love the latest games.

I can't imagine a scenario where pc owners equalize that with 3rd party or subscriptions.

zkorejo

Most pc owners are no good customers anyways, shortage or not.

Take me as an example when i had a very good pc:
Got a refurbished PS4 for 80 bucks in 2016 + all games used on disc and resold them. Sony didn't make any money with me and because of my reselling they probably even lost money. If i had a warranty issue they definatley would have lost money.

If you consider all the costs for the development of a console they just don't make money with the hardware. They need you to buy lots of 3rd party games and subscriptions. That's where the money lies.

They would do better with Day1 pc releases, because that makes them much more money. I would say that they sell at least 70-80% more copies than with later releases, because the day1 sales would massively profit from the console marketing and people love the latest games.

I can't imagine a scenario where pc owners equalize that with 3rd party or subscriptions.
Yes they would. So much so, that there will be no point in getting a console anymore. Highly disagree with that move.

Also, you are assuming every PC owner that gets a PS5 will not give Sony a penny and will only get a used ps5/discs. Similarly, I can make an assumption that every PC player wanting to get a Sony game on PC will most definitely pirate it.

Yes they would. So much so, that there will be no point in getting a console anymore. Highly disagree with that move.

Also, you are assuming every PC owner that gets a PS5 will not give Sony a penny and will only get a used ps5/discs. Similarly, I can make an assumption that every PC player wanting to get a Sony game on PC will most definitely pirate it.
I didn't say that EVERY pc player does so, but some will for sure. Guess we have to wait how Sony will handle this in the future. I say we will have pc ports 6-12 months after the console release at some point this gen and day1 next gen. Maybe even day 1 this gen for multiplayer games.

Ozriel

M$FT
They'll go back in time to unrelease PS Now to release it again in 2023.

Sometimes, it pays to read. The context for that entire line of discussion was about ‘hurting console sales’ for the PS5. Multiple references were made to the PlayStation 5.

As of today, there’s no PlayStation 5 streaming on PS Now, and I carefully used ‘streaming service’ because the Spartacus leaks claim that PS Now is going to be renamed.

You tried it, though. Bravo for the effort 😂

reksveks

They'll go back in time to unrelease PS Now to release it again in 2023.
I am not sure how to read this. They are probably going to release apps for the Spartacus cloud streaming on mobile and tv, my question whether they copy MS and make it the top tier feature. I kinda want MS to do the opposite and release a standalone streaming service. I also think it might depend on regional pricing.

Mr Moose

Sometimes, it pays to read. The context for that entire line of discussion was about ‘hurting console sales’ for the PS5. Multiple references were made to the PlayStation 5.

As of today, there’s no PlayStation 5 streaming on PS Now, and I carefully used ‘streaming service’ because the Spartacus leaks claim that PS Now is going to be renamed.

You tried it, though. Bravo for the effort 😂
By not mentioning PS5 it's about PS5? OK then. This is a PS4 game, sir.
I think you mean Bravia for the effort *tips hat*
I am not sure how to read this. They are probably going to release apps for the Spartacus cloud streaming on mobile and tv, my question whether they copy MS and make it the top tier feature. I kinda want MS to do the opposite and release a standalone streaming service. I also think it might depend on regional pricing.
I think PS Now was on Bravia TVs, not sure about phones.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
By not mentioning PS5 it's about PS5? OK then. This is a PS4 game, sir.

Again, it pays to read. Read my comment again. Slowly, this time. I mean, I use a ton of words there that are forward looking. Even references to their upcoming MP exclusives.

The clear context was about ports harming console sales. Why the heck would you think I’d be talking about the PS4 that’s on the way out? how does that make sense to you?

Hope this helps

Tripolygon

Banned
The people losing their shit over Sony porting their games to PC, I hope they’re ready for the new world.
Because Sony’s PC ports will come faster, and we’ll see Sony’s expanded streaming service eventually that’ll allow you play their console games on PCs or TVs via cloud streaming.
That is not really news, that was their stated goal of the service, it was already on TV but that was later scrapped as those platforms were not as stable then as they are now, to focus on PC and Console streaming with plans to expand in the future.

Sony 2014

PSNow.jpg

Sony 2019

The next phase of the service is adding new hardware (PS5) and releasing it on Phones/Tablets, TV.
ps5_streaming_slide.jpg

Not to mention the strong likelihood of Sony putting their upcoming MP GaaS games on PC day one.

The times are changing !
That is literally what they have said so it shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone. They have talked about all that, now it is just a matter of executing.

jpg

Also, they have talked about adding their top IPs to the streaming service, I don't doubt we will see some simultaneous day and date releases like gamepass.

I personally don't particularly like streaming games but I can see where the service is going. I still prefer to outright own the games that I play. It is supposed to be Netflix for games and like NetFlix, they will keep jacking up the price on a regular basis once it becomes popular enough.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So you're saying they actually qualify as monter girls? Hot damn!

JfLW67U.jpg

Its one of the easy way to tell if an artist was just drawing the character because it's popular or because they play Monster Hunter.

yande.re%20766694%20sample%20hinoa%20japanese_clothes%20minoto%20monster_hunter%20monster_hunter_rise%20pointy_ears%20takenoko_no_you.jpg

The none players always get the hands wrong, since they are decendants of Wyverns they have 3 digits and a thumb, in the same way a Wyvern has 3 digits and an elongated thumb for the wing tip, so yes... monster girls.

The bandwagon artists give them regular hands.

Sorry for going off topic, I double dipped for Horizon because at the time there was no 60FPS patch for PS5, however I enjoyed playing through God of War on PS5 with the 60FPS patch, il probably wait for a sale to double dip although at £35 it's a bargain for anyone who hasent played, especially when you compare to the £70 Square Enix want for there awful port of FF7 Remake.

Last edited:

yurinka

For each PC gamer that Sony convinces to buy a console, Sony gets profit than the 30% cut they save of the Steam transaction: they profit for the console hardware (with the exception of the first units, I think at least one PS5 SKU is already being sold at a profit), accesories, the over a dozen games that on average their customers buy and the subscriptions like Plus, Now and so on.

They will sell some extra consoles thanks to these PC ports, but it isn't the main goal with them for Sony. They said that PC ports are more targeted for those PC gamers who never would buy a console, specially on those countries were consoles almost don't exist and are way more focused on PC like China, Korea and some Latin American countries.

I'd say the port is on track to sell 4-6M units, I don't know when but I think we'll end seeing some day Ragnarok being ported (I think this time they may only wait a couple of years or three because they will want to port before some older games like TLOU or Spider-Man) and maybe even the GoW Collections of the older games too.

jpg

Also, they have talked about adding their top IPs to the streaming service, I don't doubt we will see some simultaneous day and date releases like gamepass.

I personally don't particularly like streaming games but I can see where the service is going. I still prefer to outright own the games that I play. It is supposed to be Netflix for games and like NetFlix, they will keep jacking up the price on a regular basis once it becomes popular enough.
Notice that the dark blue part is for GaaS (Games as a Service). When they said there 'develop more service-led experiene within 1st party roster' they don't mean to release their top IPs day one on services like PS Now.

They mean to have more GaaS in their 1st & 2nd party line-up. More games like The Show 21, GT7 or the ones being developed by Haven, Devotion or Firewalk.

They already included their top IPs in PS Now and will continue doing it, it isn't something new so it wouldn't make sense to list it here.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I mean its a movie. No one can deny that. Too much cutscene.

That is major flow of Sony games. They have good gameplay and story. But the amount of cutscene is unbearable sometimes.
Keep posting shit like this, is going to get you banned permanently lol

I hope you keep doing that :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Notice that the dark blue part is for GaaS (Games as a Service). When they said there 'develop more service-led experiene within 1st party roster' they don't mean to release their top IPs day one on services like PS Now.
I'm aware, that is exactly what I'm addressing. Their commitment to making more GaaS available on both PlayStation and other platforms. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone because like I said, they have talked about it at various investor presentations.

Besides that, they have talked about releasing their top IPs on the streaming platform. No, I don't mean waiting 2 years before releasing it on PS Now. Although that is in their far-off goals for this generation, the vision for this generation is to have streaming become a mainstream business model like Disc and Downloads have been the last generation. Even their pitch for the streaming way back in 2014 was being able to go into PSN and stream any game while it is downloading in the background to your console.

d7dvuxcwwaaqdl0.900x.jpg

They mean to have more GaaS in their 1st & 2nd party line-up. More games like The Show 21, GT7 or the ones being developed by Haven, Devotion or Firewalk.
Yea it is hard to miss the GAAS title at the top of the PP presentation.
They already included their top IPs in PS Now and will continue doing it, it isn't something new so it wouldn't make sense to list it here.
They already have first-party IP on there but I'm talking about having first-party titles day and date at launch. I'm under no illusions that it will happen fast but it is a matter of when not if. Some first-party titles will release day and date on streaming, download, and physical.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Keep posting shit like this, is going to get you banned permanently lol

I hope you keep doing that :messenger_beaming:
I thought he was perma already as Fartynoob/Spideyfan but then he was allowed to come back as Kingfey?

Anyway, the same fanbase who complains about Sony games are all over Hellblade, Psychonauts 2 and Bethesda RPGs. Those games have way more dialogues or cutscenes than Sony games. Make it make sense 🤣

Top Bottom