• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just added a factor on top of the peak players. I have no clue, just estimating with a rough ballpark
Horizon had a peak of 56k players and that translated into 700k sales in the first month. 73k probably means a million.

So $35 million in revenue since valve takes a 30% cut.

Game was ported by 4 Devs over the course of two years plus qa from SSM so its probably just a $1-2 million port.

Its definitely Penny pinching but I’m sure execs got nice bonuses out of it. Hope it was worth dilluting the ps brand though. Now people will just wait for these games to drop on PC.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Horizon had a peak of 56k players and that translated into 700k sales in the first month. 73k probably means a million.

Game was ported by 4 Devs over the course of two years plus qa from SSM so its probably just a $1-2 million port.

Its definitely Penny pinching but I’m sure execs got nice bonuses out of it. Hope it was worth dilluting the ps brand though. Now people will just wait for these games to drop on PC.

For all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25 percent. And for every sale after the initial $50 million, Steam will take just a 20 percent cut. And then we have Epic's 12% cut for games sold on EGS as well.

nani17

are in a big trouble
It's now a success
adRwYEA.jpg

Gamezone

Gold Member
Even if it does 1M, that's really small in comparison to overall GOW sales.

Free money is free money, but it seems like penny pinching.

If 4 developers worked on the port, and they made this amount of money, and Sony keeps doing this, we're not talking penny pinching for long.

nani17

are in a big trouble
If 4 developers worked on the port, and they made this amount of money, and Sony keeps doing this, we're not talking penny pinching for long.
I agree plus people are counting steam numbers. it's the number 1 selling on epic as well. Even if its not much it tells sony people will buy their titles on pc

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Even if it does 1M, that's really small in comparison to overall GOW sales.

Free money is free money, but it seems like penny pinching.
1m pc sales is like 4m console sales.

1m copy at 50$ price tag is $50m. That is 5m console sales, during holiday sale time at 10$. Or 2.5m at 20$ price.

If the pc version hits 5m sale, that would be $250m. 12.5m sales at 20$ current price, or 25m copy sold during holiday sales.

That is very impressive.

kingfey

Banned

FYI, that $35m is 80% of hzd development cost. Hzd cost $45m to make.
You should be happy about that. You are getting funding for your next game.

Didn't you get the memo. PC is hurting ps5 sales.
I also don't understand how people still try that narrative here when in the real world PS5 is surpassing 20M consoles sold this quarter and Sony can't produce as many consoles as they wanted to meet demand.

Most people that had PlayStation consoles are not going to stop buying those just because another platform has those games. In no way console versions of Sony games is getting hurt by having these games releasing in more platforms.

Can't imagine the meltdowns when Sony starts to at least release their multiplayer games at the same time on PS5 and PC. Some people won't deal well with that. I wouldn't be surprised if factions releases on PS4, PS5 and PC around the time the TV show starts.

Anyway, the irony is...these developers are making more money by having their games releasing in more platforms...which means indirectly future console games for Sony also benefit from this.

There's no reason why this is a bad thing except for console wars lmao

kingfey

Banned
I also don't understand how people still try that narrative here when in the real world PS5 is surpassing 20M consoles sold this quarter and Sony can't produce as many consoles as they wanted to meet demand.

Most people that had PlayStation consoles are not going to stop buying those just because another platform has those games. In no way console versions of Sony games is getting hurt by having these games releasing in more platforms.

Can't imagine the meltdowns when Sony starts to at least release their multiplayer games at the same time on PS5 and PC. Some people won't deal well with that. I wouldn't be surprised if factions releases on PS4, PS5 and PC around the time the TV show starts.

Anyway, the irony is...these developers are making more money by having their games releasing in more platforms...which means indirectly future console games for Sony also benefit from this.

There's no reason why this is a bad thing except for console wars lmao
There is also the fact, that these people gets replaced by the new generation.

There is a reason why consoles have 8 years cycle. New Kids who were 10 at the previous console, are 18 by now. They will be the new customers for the new console. And by the time this new gen ends, they are 24 years old, and new gen take over after that.

Consoles don't really lose customers. It's why they target kids, when they are young. They are their future customers.

There's a lot of people who bought Monster Hunter Rise outside of Steam and it has hit over 100,000 players (concurrent) + it's a game as service too. I don't know why people keep comparing GOW 2018 to MHR.

Just let GOW be its own thing. I'm happy for its success but I keep seeing people on here comparing the two and I don't get why they are doing that.

There is also the fact, that these people gets replaced by the new generation.

There is a reason why consoles have 8 years cycle. New Kids who were 10 at the previous console, are 18 by now. They will be the new customers for the new console. And by the time this new gen ends, they are 24 years old, and new gen take over after that.

Consoles don't really lose customers. It's why they target kids, when they are young. They are their future customers.
I wouldn't say they get replaced...that makes it seem like kids are the ones that buy consoles the most.

I feel like somehow i started with PSOne in 1998 when i turned 10, when i was gifted one...and Sony has always been "by my side" ever since. I do think consoles do a little bit of everything: trying to get a younger audience while preserving the older generations that had already acquired previous consoles.

I'm sure PSOne didn't have as many 35 year olds playing it as the PS4 had, and so on.

kingfey

Banned
I wouldn't say they get replaced...that makes it seem like kids are the ones that buy consoles the most.

I feel like somehow i started with PSOne in 1998 when i turned 10, when i was gifted one...and Sony has always been "by my side" ever since. I do think consoles do a little bit of everything: trying to get a younger audience while preserving the older generations that had already acquired previous consoles.

I'm sure PSOne didn't have as many 35 year olds playing it as the PS4 had, and so on.
The fact that you were 10 years old, when you got the ps1 shows it. You stuck with them since that day. That is how kids are. If they get attached to something at young age, they are stuck with that.

Also, kids get consoles from their parents. At the age of 16-18, they start working and saving money for the new console. 1st they do with their money, is spend money on that console. And since kids are not that smart, they will buy tons of games.

Look at us. We are old, and the 1st thing we do is buy cheap games. Even the good games, we wait them for sales. We know the value of money. Kids that age, lack control of spending.

My little brother is 19 years old. I bought him his ps4 in 2017. Last year, I bought him $750 ps5, which he gave me the money later. This year, he spent 1.5k easily on a pc gaming.
My pc cost $500. And he spent $1.5k on his pc. All he plays is warzone, fortnite, and call of duty with his friends. That is how stupid kids are these days.

These are what Sony/Nintendo/MS want. People like him, will gladly spend alot of money on their console. Especially their headsets, extra controllers and other stuff.

I own this game on PS4 and on PC.
I didn't get a chance to finish this on PS4 which is why I bought on PC.

People go where they can get access to PS games. If that's on console or PC, it doesn't matter. Just like how Xbox is giving people choice where to play. At the end it doesn't matter where you play, on a pc or a fucking calculator. PS is getting the $$$ and you're getting their games.

PS brand is not getting diluted. Where the fuck do people get this brand dilution nonsense from I have no idea.
This is expanding the brand and userbase into more areas of the market and ultimately is better for PS users as more and more people buy into the brand.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The people losing their shit over Sony porting their games to PC, I hope they’re ready for the new world.
Because Sony’s PC ports will come faster, and we’ll see Sony’s expanded streaming service eventually that’ll allow you play their console games on PCs or TVs via cloud streaming.

Not to mention the strong likelihood of Sony putting their upcoming MP GaaS games on PC day one.

The times are changing !

Kenpachii

Straight up anybody i talk towards praises this game on PC, they did some mighty fine job here.

Last edited:

Three

The people losing their shit over Sony porting their games to PC, I hope they’re ready for the new world.
Because Sony’s PC ports will come faster, and we’ll see Sony’s expanded streaming service eventually that’ll allow you play their console games on PCs or TVs via cloud streaming.

Not to mention the strong likelihood of Sony putting their upcoming MP GaaS games on PC day one.

The times are changing !
The bolded they already do. Maybe you might see games coming sooner but not a single new game has yet. GoW is from 2018 (4 years ago). It's strange to see people being so positive by this but then people complain that first party doesn't come to PS Now quick enough. They come to PS Now and can stream to PC sooner than the native ports so the bolded is happening before actual PC releases.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Everyone saying "now they will just wait for it to come to PC" yeah some will. But there will be others who will be hyped enough to get a console and play the sequel coming this year and not wait 3 years.

Top Bottom