• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of Ikishima - Expandalone coming in 2021

Bartski

Gold Member
im in the same boat, literally yesterday i was sad thinking about them not adding more content to it because of their next project. Id totally support them adding more and even paying for it.

Imagine if they could pull off 4v4 PVP or something.
they are making something big regarding MP looking at their recent job openings. Sadly looks like this one might be single-player only.

Corndog

Banned
Ghost Of Tsushima is an amazing game. But definitely not GOTY. Not trying to take anything away from Ghost Of Tsushima. But there was another game that outperformed it. It set sales records as well as GOTY records. We all know what that game is.
Minecraft?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Really came in here to say this? Don't buy it and we will.......
Really came in here to respond to me?

People are discussing this as a new Sony strategy.. I'm a fan of their big open world games... I'm suggesting I don't like small games taking away from those.

Bartski

Gold Member
I think they must stop making AAA games longer and bigger. 10-15 hours of main story plus an additional 10 of secondary stuff/collectibles/trophies is the sweet spot for me. Copy paste missions and so on to make them several times longer isn't good.

I'm ok with having even shorter games like Morales or even a bit shorter, specially if not priced at full price.
I see. I was thinking more of a model where a studio like SP, ND, SSM drops this huge blockbuster, plans for the sequel that will take over half a decade to make, and then Sony comes in with the cash to hire additional 100 people for a "B team" to make 2-3 15h "expandalones" along the way.
As in yes we're talking stand-alone, separate games, something bigger than a DLC but made of recycling a lot of existing code, mechanics, assets etc. from the first game, in their source AAA quality but short form.
This also provides space for such relatively low-risk side projects to be experimental twists of their core formula, think FC3: Blood Dragon. I wouldn't mind at all if we could just get both.

GymWolf

Ps5 exclusive please. Give us something ridiculous.
cd1f8a8d1f2a69c5d7c9fd8f7a55e561567fac46.gifv

yurinka

I see. I was thinking more of a model where a studio like SP, ND, SSM drops this huge blockbuster, plans for the sequel that will take over half a decade to make, and then Sony comes in with the cash to hire additional 100 people for a "B team" to make 2-3 15h "expandalones" along the way.
As in yes we're talking stand-alone, separate games, something bigger than a DLC but made of recycling a lot of existing code, mechanics, assets etc. from the first game, in their source AAA quality but short form.
This also provides space for such relatively low-risk side projects to be experimental twists of their core formula, think FC3: Blood Dragon. I wouldn't mind at all if we could just get both.
I like this plan of their main teams releasing big AAA games every 4-5 years and between these main releases to release with a smaller b team 2 or 3 smaller, shorter, cheaper standalone games recycling stuff to expand the story or set a bridge with the upcoming big sequel.

After that 'we believe in generations'?
He (and nobody from Sony) never said Sony was going to avoid crossgen games. Sony is doing 100% of what he said in the 'we believe in generations' interview:

To continue supporting PS4 during at least 2 or 3 years after the PS5 release because even if they achieve their plans of selling PS5s at gaming history records levels, only a tiny portion of their almost 100 million monthly active PS4 users will jump to PS5 on this period, so they will continue releasing stuff for them.

And in addition to this, he also wanted to see PS5 games using the next gen features like haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, faster loading with SSD etc. So exactly what they are doing.

Last edited:
Really came in here to respond to me?

People are discussing this as a new Sony strategy.. I'm a fan of their big open world games... I'm suggesting I don't like small games taking away from those.
Yes a new Sony strategy. Release shorter games, thats totally what we're gonna get all the time, cause Sony strategy. Nvm the fact the article is pure rumor and mentions DLC expansion possibility.

Anyways, thanks for your phenomenal input. I'm sure GoT developers will be very upset with your opinion of a selective part of a rumor.

fallingdove

Their radio silence is infuriating but I am glad they dont cultivate losers like Timdog and insiders.

The problem with their silence is that they have nothing but bad news so they pretty much have to stay silent. There is absolutely no way they can spin their three big games going cross gen, MLB going to Xbox Gamepass, and having all three previously announced 2021 games delay into 2022. What can they say really to make us feel better? They did try to do some damage control by telling us they have 25 first party games in development, but no one ever talks about that so clearly that kind of talk is taken as PR fluff and ignored.

I have a bad feeling about this upcoming conference. Kojima said Death Stranding PS5 edition is gonna be there. So we already have one expansion coming. We know ND is working on Factions and TLOU1 remake so thats two expansions, and now this one. If that fucking conference is literally just 6 cross gen games Horizon, GoW, TLOU, Death Stranding, GoT, and GT7 then it's gonna be brutal. Maybe thats why they arent hyping it.

Typically when companies are confident in their showings, they cant wait to talk about it over and over again, but Sony seems to be almost afraid to talk about their upcoming games lately.

You get so spun up over these things Slimy. Sheesh. Sony is just practicing some smart marketing.

The dust has now settled with Halo and Forza. Xbox fans have even moved on to Killer Instinct rumors and Fable breadcrumbs. A delayed conference means every announcement they make will be amplified. If even a quarter of the rumored announcements (25 first party games, Dragon's Dogma 2 trailer, Ghost of Ikishima, Metal Gear Solid Remake, TLOU Remake, Bloodborne Remake, New Naughty Dog IP teaser, Free TLOU2 Multiplayer, God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy XVI release date, Pragmata trailer, Death Stranding DC, PSVR2 + Astrobot 2 announcement) come true, most people (myself included) will be hyped as fuck.

Silence sucks for us older gamers that looked to E3 for our supply of hype — but things have changed. Nintendo, astutely, realized that, gosh — there are 11 other months of the year, maybe we can keep the hype train going for longer if we avoid dumping all of our coal on the fire in June.

Not even close to TLOU2.

On topic, as IntentionalPun IntentionalPun said, miss me with these short games. Make a full game or get fucked.
Wrong

You know, you and that guy could go ahead and read the 7-10 sentences that article is. Rumor, DLC possible, no price nor any info at all. But thanks for letting us know your take on what you've assumed will happen

Kokoloko85

If this is true you have the option of not buying it.

There's nothing wrong with a title like this until the inevitable sequel, the simple truth is that large scale open world games take a long time to make.

(I'm guessing a proper sequel will take SP 4/5 years.)
Projects like this cost money and time. Time and money that could be used on the inevitable sequel. In my opinion, id rather use the team and money on the sequel. It would certainly speed it up

xrnzaaas

As long as it offers a decent amount of content and still has singleplayer, then why not. I enjoyed Lost Legacy for example.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Yes a new Sony strategy. Release shorter games, thats totally what we're gonna get all the time, cause Sony strategy. Nvm the fact the article is pure rumor and mentions DLC expansion possibility.

Anyways, thanks for your phenomenal input. I'm sure GoT developers will be very upset with your opinion of a selective part of a rumor.

This is the Layden quote, which isn't a rumor, that is in an article someone posted, in this thread:

“It's hard for every adventure game to shoot for the 50 to 60 hour gameplay milestone, because that's gonna be so much more expensive to achieve,” he explained. “And in the end you may close some interesting creators and their stories out of the market if that's the kind of threshold they have to meet. We have to re-evaluate that.”

Layden continued that despite ballooning budgets, the cost of buying games has not increased. “It's been $59.99 since I started in this business, but the cost of games have gone up ten times. If you don't have elasticity on the price-point, but you have huge volatility on the cost line, the model becomes more difficult. I think this generation is going to see those two imperatives collide.”

According to the executive, one solution may be to simply make smaller titles. “Instead of spending five years making an 80 hour game, what does three years and a 15 hour game look like? What would be the cost around that? Is that a full-throated experience? Personally, as an older gamer, I would welcome a return to the 12 to 15 hour [AAA] game.”

It's Sony saying "how can we spend less making games." (along with excusing their price hike, which they did) I don't like to hear stuff like that... that's.. OK.. my input.. is OK... are you OK bro?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Expansion = big DLC. Morales isn't a DLC, it's a different game.

I'd prefer to see them focused on the GoT sequel and to keep Infamous buried.
Shut your samurai ass dude.

yeah i know that infamous is dead, it was more wishful thinking on my part, imagine what they could do in a sequel with the new ssd\cpu

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You get so spun up over these things Slimy. Sheesh. Sony is just practicing some smart marketing.

The dust has now settled with Halo and Forza. Xbox fans have even moved on to Killer Instinct rumors and Fable breadcrumbs. A delayed conference means every announcement they make will be amplified. If even a quarter of the rumored announcements (25 first party games, Dragon's Dogma 2 trailer, Ghost of Ikishima, Metal Gear Solid Remake, TLOU Remake, Bloodborne Remake, New Naughty Dog IP teaser, Free TLOU2 Multiplayer, God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy XVI release date, Pragmata trailer, Death Stranding DC, PSVR2 + Astrobot 2 announcement) come true, most people (myself included) will be hyped as fuck.

Silence sucks for us older gamers that looked to E3 for our supply of hype — but things have changed. Nintendo, astutely, realized that, gosh — there are 11 other months of the year, maybe we can keep the hype train going for longer if we avoid dumping all of our coal on the fire in June.
I dont mind Sony spreading out their announcements over the course of the year, but they aren't doing that. Their state of plays are just regurgitating and showcasing games that were shown at their PS5 reveal conference last year. Literally the only new announcement we have had since last year's conference is GoW 2 which was not shown and still has not been shown since.

There is a distinct lack of new stuff. The ratchet, Demon souls and Horizon state of plays re cool, but again they were already announced and shown. Their last conference was in September and nothing since. No new announcements.

I would love to see these 25 first party games they have in development.

SilentUser

As someone lacking free time lately, I really dig smaller titles with AAA quality. This project could be great to someone like me, so I'm in!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The GOTY of 2020 is getting even better! They probably have multiple teams so I wouldn't worry about the sequel getting delayed for this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guessing the title is wrong, since it's typically called "Iki-no-shima" or "Iki-shoto" in Japanese. "Ikishima" is not very common.

That said, the setting would make sense, as it was also a major site of combat during the Mongol invasions.

Assuming it's real, though, "Ghosts" makes me think this is going to be some co-op multiplayer nonsense and that kind of kills my interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartski

Gold Member
I dont mind Sony spreading out their announcements over the course of the year, but they aren't doing that. Their state of plays are just regurgitating and showcasing games that were shown at their PS5 reveal conference last year. Literally the only new announcement we have had since last year's conference is GoW 2 which was not shown and still has not been shown since.

There is a distinct lack of new stuff. The ratchet, Demon souls and Horizon state of plays re cool, but again they were already announced and shown. Their last conference was in September and nothing since. No new announcements.

I would love to see these 25 first party games they have in development.

man... the effort you take spinning every single piece of info that comes out about Sony and the PS5 into some kind of bad news in every thread is astounding.

Sounds almost like all you want is to get everyone equally as depressed as you are.

Hoping this will cheer you up

SlimySnake

man... the effort you take spinning every single piece of info that comes out about Sony and the PS5 into some kind of bad news in every thread is astounding.

Sounds almost like all you want is to get everyone equally as depressed as you are.

Hoping this will cheer you up

This rumor suggests SIX Sony first party studios are working on cross gen games in 2021. How can anyone NOT be depressed at this point? lmao

Bartski

Gold Member
This rumor suggests SIX Sony first party studios are working on cross gen games in 2021. How can anyone NOT be depressed at this point? lmao

yeah I hate the whole cross-gen aspect of their plans just as much. I kind of get it tho, let's just wait for the games to do the talking. Hoping Sony shows their cards for the rest of 2021 soon

White-fire

Give it up man, those aren’t the only games they are working on, they were all scheduled to release this year, some got pushed back cause of COVID, and they cost hundreds of millions to make. You’re practically trolling if you’re still trying to spread your doom and gloom over this knowing it’s not their long term plan.

Edit: this is also an expansion to their PS4 game, making your comment even more questionable and childish. You’re making no sense.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Give it up man, those aren’t the only games they are working on, they were all scheduled to release this year, some got pushed back cause of COVID, and they cost hundreds of millions to make. You’re practically trolling if you’re still trying to spread your doom and gloom over this knowing it’s not their long term plan.

Edit: this is also an expansion to their PS4 game, making your comment even more boneheaded and childish. You’re making no sense.
The fact of the matter is that they have studios working on these cross gen games in 2021. Does it matter if they are expansions or brand new games? The studios have their hands full. Three of them are 2022 releases. Are you saying the same studios are going to turn around and start releasing next gen only games in 2022 and 2023?

And gtfo here with this trolling accusation. You cant handle some negative takes on Sony, put me on ignore or go to the official playstation forums where everyone is happy with every move Sony makes.

White-fire

The fact of the matter is that they have studios working on these cross gen games in 2021. Does it matter if they are expansions or brand new games? The studios have their hands full. Three of them are 2022 releases. Are you saying the same studios are going to turn around and start releasing next gen only games in 2022 and 2023?

And gtfo here with this trolling accusation. You cant handle some negative takes on Sony, put me on ignore or go to the official playstation forums where everyone is happy with every move Sony makes.

If you think I have a problem with your take because it’s negative you haven’t read what I’ve written at all. These teams have their hands full because they are working on multiple projects. Your pointing at the first wave of games that most likely started development on PS4 and wondering why they haven’t scrapped years of work to then drop a huge game on PS5 and have it bomb in sales and lose money because of the small install base.

You’re literally failing to see the development schedule they have. These games are not impacting the development of the other games just because they were pushed back to 2022 because they are being made CONCURRENTLY. Guerrilla Games new multiplayer game is not being impacted by Horizon even if it gets delayed to 2022, same with Sony Santa Monica, and Suck Punch is most likely already working on GOT2 and this is a side project for a smaller group. These games would have released on the PS4 no matter what, and were supposed to support the teams in a transition to PS5.

So yes, a year or two turnaround is very possible for some of these studios.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Are you going to share your wife's butthole with us?

:messenger_winking_tongue:

What's with that tag?

IntentionalPun

Miss me on boring generic open world games.

Couldn't even finish GOT. HZDs camp raid:the game.
It's not my favorite either; I should have said I was referring to the Layden interview that was posted...

Days Gone is my favorite Sony game; the horde mechanic makes it something interesting. I did like GoT but it needed way less boring missions and more killlling.

SlimySnake

If you think I have a problem with your take because it’s negative you haven’t read what I’ve written at all. These teams have their hands full because they are working on multiple projects. Your pointing at the first wave of games that most likely started development on PS4 and wondering why they haven’t scrapped years of work to then drop a huge game on PS5 and have it bomb in sales and lose money because of the small install base.

You’re literally failing to see the development schedule they have. These games are not impacting the development of the other games just because they were pushed back to 2022 because they are being made CONCURRENTLY. Guerrilla Games new multiplayer game is not being impacted by Horizon even if it gets delayed to 2022, same with Sony Santa Monica, and Suck Punch is most likely already working on GOT2 and this is a side project for a smaller group. These games would have released on the PS4 no matter what, and were supposed to support the teams in a transition to PS5.

So yes, a year or two turnaround is very possible for some of these studios.
GoT shipped in July 2020. I dont know why you think this expansion shouldve started as a PS4 game literally four months before the launch of their new console. TLOU2 shipped without factions a month earlier.

I am willing to wait and see what these studios are able to produce with multiple teams, but this goes back to my original reply to Debaus. Lets see those games. If I had next gen games in development, i would be announcing them at the summer event.

Top Bottom