• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of Ikishima - Expandalone coming in 2021

Kuranghi

I hope its shorter, with a bit more variety/complexity in the open world exploration stuff like shrines and the inari shrines, even though I loved GoT I still havent finished it due to getting burnt out on the combat, I played 65 hours. I enjoyed the exploration a lot but it wasn't involved enough to really make me want to grind out the camps/missions to get to the last piece of exploration in the top of the island.

I know most mainstream games don't really have challenging puzzles/traversal but I need it to at least require me to light up a few brain cells while severely impaired by drugs. I can't even imagine how rote it would've been if I was sober. Its barely a few steps above spoon-feeding, here-comes-the-aeroplane level of difficulty.

Its the same with most of these recent PS exclusives, they seem made for casuals who don't play a lot of games primarily, the combat is perfect difficulty for me, but the rest of the game is very brain off level. I played both Spidermans with a guy who doesn't play games hardly ever and the puzzle parts were causing him "sweating before your leaving high school english/math test" levels of stress or he just couldn't even find the objects needed to solve the puzzle even though they are highlighted with spidey-vision, that could be a "not being used to traversing a 3d space" issue I know but if you know game tropes and engage in a basic process of elimination these "puzzles" are usually a joke.

I used to feel like I was challenged in this sense in games not that long ago but now its all just so easy, and I certainly haven't gotten any smarter over the last 10 years. Jedi Fallen Order was like that, the couple of times I got stuck it either required dev-mind-reading or the solution was obtuse because it followed different rules than anything else.

Just got the Platinum in Ghost last night, so I definitely want more from this game world. I wasn't expecting for it to enter my GOAT list, but I couldn't stop playing for a month straight.

I'd rather have a PS5 exclusive sequel than a cross gen expansion, but I'll take what I can get.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo!! Can't wait...best of all, it's standalone. Let's go baby!!!

[Sigma]

Please be true. My favorite game last year and one of my favorites of last generation.
tenor.gif

The memories. The effect still works.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lame. Just focus on getting a sequel done ASAP. Ghosts took 6 years to make. Waiting another 6 years for a sequel is going to be ridiculous.

Also, @Shpeshal Nick posts here.
Not lame if these fill in the time waiting for full blown sequels.

But carry on.
Definitely on board with this, a little filler game to help hold out until the full blown sequel is a good way of doing stuff (as long as it doesnt impact said sequel). More of these please!
Winner winner, gyoza dinner!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Apparently, Ghost of Tsushima gets a stand-alone expansion akin to Miles Morales - Ghosts of Ikishima - says Speshial Nick who often seems full of shit but then sometimes gets things right from his "inside sources"

I so want this to be true.

4EQScje.jpg

Edit: with the obligatory typo in the title @Mod of War haalp (Ikishima) edit: Thanks

MORE:

RX02IPW.jpg

What is Gears Hivebusters?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not crazy about the Miles Morales, Uncharted Lost Legacy model at all. Seems like this is going to be a common thing for Sony.

GoT is one of my favorite PS4 games though, so I'll probably have to get this.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I really don't believe this Shepeshal Nick guy about the details of the game.

There has been rumors popping up recently and he jumps right in after they're reported.. Several of them were debunked the very next day.

e&e

Banned
I like this plan of their main teams releasing big AAA games every 4-5 years and between these main releases to release with a smaller b team 2 or 3 smaller, shorter, cheaper standalone games recycling stuff to expand the story or set a bridge with the upcoming big sequel.

He (and nobody from Sony) never said Sony was going to avoid crossgen games. Sony is doing 100% of what he said in the 'we believe in generations' interview:

To continue supporting PS4 during at least 2 or 3 years after the PS5 release because even if they achieve their plans of selling PS5s at gaming history records levels, only a tiny portion of their almost 100 million monthly active PS4 users will jump to PS5 on this period, so they will continue releasing stuff for them.

And in addition to this, he also wanted to see PS5 games using the next gen features like haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, faster loading with SSD etc. So exactly what they are doing.
Keep on running defense for lying papa Jimbo!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Lame. Just focus on getting a sequel done ASAP. Ghosts took 6 years to make. Waiting another 6 years for a sequel is going to be ridiculous.

Ghost of Tsushima took 6 years because it was a new IP and a lot of research had to be done on Tsushima, the people, etc they also had mocap from real swordsmen

Also Sucker Punch canceled a game before Ghost of Tsushima

The sequel won't take that long

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ghost of Tsushima took 6 years because it was a new IP and a lot of research had to be done on Tsushima, the people, etc they also had mocap from real swordsmen

Also Sucker Punch canceled a game before Ghost of Tsushima

The sequel won't take that long
Also, for around 1-2 years, Sucker Punch was working on another game (the Pirates themed melee combat game) that they had to cancel later. It is after that they came up with Ghost of Tsushima, pitched it, and started developing it.

it really depends on how prepared they were for pre production on got 2

if it needed more time, then it makes sense to do a frozen wilds or miles type expansion.

would be cool to get a little taste of improved visuals for PS5 on GoT without having to wait very long, just like Miles

Last edited:

Yoboman

This is the Layden quote, which isn't a rumor, that is in an article someone posted, in this thread:

It's Sony saying "how can we spend less making games." (along with excusing their price hike, which they did) I don't like to hear stuff like that... that's.. OK.. my input.. is OK... are you OK bro?
They've been doing larger style stand alone expansions on many of their big first party games for like a decade now

inFamous First Light, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Last of Us Left Behind, Horizon Frozen Wilds, Miles Morales, Bloodborne Old Hunters

In fact when they don't do it like GOW its more of an exception than the rule

I wont be surprised of TLOU2 gets something like this too, though their efforts may go more to Factions 2

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
According to that Layden interview it's just simple Math, whether this particular story is true or not, it sounds like they plan on doing more short, cheaper to make games:

"Instead of spending five years making an 80 hour game, what does three years and a 15 hour game look like? What would be the cost around that?"

Yoboman Yoboman : True, nothing really new.. but the Layden quote is from last year, so they could be exapnding that concept.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

They've been doing larger style stand alone expansions on many of their big first party games for like a decade now

inFamous First Light, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Last of Us Left Behind, Horizon Frozen Wilds, Miles Morales, Bloodborne Old Hunters

In fact when they don't do it like GOW its more of an exception than the rule

I wont be surprised of TLOU2 gets something like this too, though their efforts may go more to Factions 2
Neil said there's "no plans for DLC" but who knows. I bet they'll just do TLOU multiplayer.

And Cory Barlog said he dislikes DLC so I guess thats why they got right to work on a sequel.

Yoboman

According to that Layden interview it's just simple Math, whether this particular story is true or not, it sounds like they plan on doing more short, cheaper to make games:

"Instead of spending five years making an 80 hour game, what does three years and a 15 hour game look like? What would be the cost around that?"

Yoboman Yoboman : True, nothing really new.. but the Layden quote is from last year, so they could be exapnding that concept.
I think you're trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. This is just the model they've mostly been on with success for awhile now

For what its worth, I agree with Layden. The 12-15 hour model was common in the PS2 era. Some of my favourite games - MGS1-3, SOTC, the Jaks and Ratchets, Silent Hill games, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cells, DMC1-3, Ninja Gaiden, God of War 1 and 2

Somewhere along the lines it was decided that this wasn't acceptable and games had to be 40-60 hours. So instead of getting multiple games across the generation we end up with single epics that often don't even benefit from the bloated lengths (thinking MGS losing its story telling, Uncharted 4 pacing issues etc).

Bring back the 12 hour experience, and pair it with regular updates to the franchise. I'm plugging my way through Ratchet and Clank slowly, its a shorter style game - I personally don't need 40 hours out of it

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I think you're trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. This is just the model they've mostly been on with success for awhile now

For what its worth, I agree with Layden. The 12-15 hour model was common in the PS2 era. Some of my favourite games - MGS1-3, SOTC, the Jaks and Ratchets, Silent Hill games, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cells, DMC1-3, Ninja Gaiden, God of War 1 and 2

Somewhere along the lines it was decided that this wasn't acceptable and games had to be 40-60 hours. So instead of getting multiple games across the generation we end up with single epics that often don't even benefit from the bloated lengths (thinking MGS losing its story telling, Uncharted 4 pacing issues etc).

Bring back the 12 hour experience, and pair it with regular updates to the franchise. I'm plugging my way through Ratchet and Clank slowly, its a shorter style game - I personally don't need 40 hours out of it
I get that there's a desire for these shorter games; not trying to tell anyone else what to want.

But modern games largely have things like RPG mechanics and progression systems that fit well for playing a game a long time.

Sony makes some of the weaker versions of these already; making 15 hour versions of them, they might as well just ditch the facade then.

Which is fine too; but I won't be buying or playing those games personally. *shrug*

Yoboman

I get that there's a desire for these shorter games; not trying to tell anyone else what to want.

But modern games largely have things like RPG mechanics and progression systems that fit well for playing a game a long time.

Sony makes some of the weaker versions of these already; making 15 hour versions of them, they might as well just ditch the facade then.

Which is fine too; but I won't be buying or playing those games personally. *shrug*
They make the weaker versions of them? Who is doing it better than GOW, Ghosts and Horizon? :goog_unsure:

IntentionalPun

They make the weaker versions of them? Who is doing it better than GOW, Ghosts and Horizon? :goog_unsure:
I'm talking about RPG/progression systems. I personally find their games lacking in that area. (spiderman probably their best)

Those become rather pointless in a short game.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I'm talking about RPG/progression systems. I personally find their games lacking in that area. (spiderman probably their best)

Oh ok

I dont see why a game needs RPG systems

All the games I highlighted did fine without them

IntentionalPun

Oh ok

I dont see why a game needs RPG systems

All the games I highlighted did fine without them
Ghosts and Horizon both have them; talking about having XP you gain to unlock stuff/progress your character.

My point being might as well just ditch them entirely if you are going to make a 10-15 hour version of those games.

I am always down for more Samurai/Ninja games. I know Nioh 2 is a thing, but those type of games are too stressful for me, even if I did make a really cool looking Kunoichi.

yurinka

Keep on running defense for lying papa Jimbo!
It's always funny to see people attacking me with dumb fanboy insults because they have no facts to debate properly.

What do you exactly mean? Unlockable and/or upgradeable skills/weapons/skins? I see why it's good for progression, but does it mean that including this feature turns the game into an RPG?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

What do you exactly mean? Unlockable and/or upgradeable skills/weapons/skins? I see why it's good for progression, but does it mean that including this feature turns the game into an RPG?

It's a bastardization of the term; but it's common.. XP systems = RPG..

Ignore the term RPG, I'm just talking about character progression systems... and I think they are rather pointless for shorter games; I wish Sony would expand theirs.. I'd love if in GoT for instance I was a totally different kind of beast, not just a guy who knows a few extra moves and has some outfits that slightly change my character. I want to see more.. MORE DAMMIT!!!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is their inspiration...

Third party developers can get away with releasing yearly sequels that barely change the formula. Who can't we?

yurinka

It's a bastardization of the term; but it's common.. XP systems = RPG..

Ignore the term RPG, I'm just talking about character progression systems... and I think they are rather pointless for shorter games; I wish Sony would expand theirs.. I'd love if in GoT for instance I was a totally different kind of beast, not just a guy who knows a few extra moves and has some outfits that slightly change my character. I want to see more.. MORE DAMMIT!!!
Ok, I see. 100% agree, for games shorter than maybe 10 hours aren't needed, but they are great for very long games. Specially when they allow you to do meaningful things like maybe to access new places in a metroid way (like to open certain 'doors', a hook to reach new places, etc).

Makes sense, they also released standalone expansions for Infamous 2 with Infamous: Festival of Night and Infamous: Second Son with Infamous: First Light and both standalone expansions were a lot of fun. Ghost of Tsushima was a much better game than any of the Infamous was for me so I'd certainly be happy to play more of it.

Renozokii

I'm not crazy about the Miles Morales, Uncharted Lost Legacy model at all. Seems like this is going to be a common thing for Sony.

GoT is one of my favorite PS4 games though, so I'll probably have to get this.
What’s there to even remotely dislike? There’s almost no reason to think it leads to any significant delay. Let’s smaller employees take the reigns and try and helm their own project too usually

Top Bottom