• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of Ikishima - Expandalone coming in 2021

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's interesting you got ND as an example cause it is one of the most prolific studios from Sony and puts your perspective out of touch of the reality. From TLoU (2013) to U4 (2016) and finally, TLoU 2 (2020). 3 big AAA well reknowed goty games in a span of time of only 7 years. The fact they launched Left Behind, TLoU Remastered and Lost Legacy in the same period is just a big fuckn bonus.

Nowadays is clear Sony studios are growing bigger and Sony WWS is more organized than ever.

Of course, some studios faced some difficulties over time. But what's important is that they found a way in the end.

GG = Shadowfall (2013), Horizon (2017), Horizon 2 (2021/2022). They helped a lot Kojima to stabilish his studio in the mean time.

Bend = Had a hard time to jump from portables to consoles. Had several projects no approved by Sony till they found their path with Days Gone. Launched pc version this year and are already developing a new ip.

Sucker Punch = Second Son and First Light (2014) and Ghost of Tsushima (2020). Anyone who played their new ip know how much study and effort they put on Tsushima and they even created a great multiplayer mode with Legends. If its true they have a new standalone for this year, this is really great news.

Santa Monica = They reinvented themselves on PS4 gen. It took time, but they are good now. God of War was unique enough and for me it only took them 5 years to make a master piece. We have to remember they jumped from Ascension (2013) to a complete and bigger experience with the new God of War (2018). We have 343i and Coalition that also needed to do the same for halo and gears ip and they just couldn't do it.

Those are just some examples.

What happens when they start to work on next gen tech? They are already working on it or do you think Sony first party devs are the last ones to receive dev kits? Also, Sony WWS has Ice Team to work exclusively on tech for all the studios and the studios already have a sinergy to share techs.

I think all studios can do even better this gen. The ones that didn't have any problems will continue to do good and the ones that did have difficulties are in the right path now. Games with smaller scope will continue to exist, no dev works only on AAA, people are not machine, this is delusional. And I look at Ubisoft and I thank God Sony devs are not like their devs.
True. Once this initial period finishes in which every studio is upgrading their engines for current-gen games, PlayStation Studios will be pumping out games after games.

All these studios have gained much-needed experience over the years producing AAA high-quality games, use shared tech, leverage ICE, and have grown significantly since 2020. The second half of the PS5 generation will see lots and lots of first-party PlayStation Studios games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am surprised (and super disappointed) that they didn't have a custom duel mode or an arena mode with endless waves.

Sometimes, Sony games build all the foundation and just totally neglect to put the final touch that could make it another mode with endless replayability. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart already has an arena, but there is no mode for endless waves that put you on an online leaderboard. Returnal was also perfect for an arena mode. So was Ghost of Tsushima. The custom duel mode in the main menu could have also been a masterstroke, where you could choose your enemy and customize the AI difficulty, weather, biome, etc.

Seems like you didn't play Legends? How about you add me and we play together? You might comeback and delete this comment! it's one of the best MP I've played in recent years.

SSfox

We know how it's going to be:

Sony announce new game!!!

Everyone: This game looks awesome, I cannot wait to play it.

Hermen Hulst: This game looks nice, I cannot wait to port it on PC.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Seems like you didn't play Legends? How about you add me and we play together? You might comeback and delete this comment! it's one of the best MP I've played in recent years.
I have, and I loved it! We can plan and also get the other gang members and do Raids; I'm up for it.

But having said that, I feel there are missed opportunities after building all the groundwork. A custom duel mode would have been perfect + a single-player arena/wave mode would have also added to the endgame and overall replayability for many.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We know how it's going to be:

Sony announce new game!!!

Everyone: This game looks awesome, I cannot wait to play it.

Hermen Hulst: This game looks nice, I cannot wait to port it on PC.
If games are ported, it won't affect me as a PlayStation player. So I'm fine. I'll only be affected if games are compromised because they are designed to be available on multiplatform on day one. For instance, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart wouldn't be the game it is if it was compromised to be available on PS4 and/or older PCs.

As long as that doesn't happen, I don't think most PS5 users will complain. Other than that, the more the merrier.

KAL2006

Banned
I think Sony will drop this, this year depending on if Horizon 2 makes it. Most likely Horizon 2 will be delayed to January/Feb so I can see this expansion coming out this year around November. It would be silly to release two open world action adventure games in the same timeframe.

yurinka

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

ZywyPL

Banned
I am surprised (and super disappointed) that they didn't have a custom duel mode or an arena mode with endless waves.

Sometimes, Sony games build all the foundation and just totally neglect to put the final touch that could make it another mode with endless replayability. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart already has an arena, but there is no mode for endless waves that put you on an online leaderboard. Returnal was also perfect for an arena mode. So was Ghost of Tsushima. The custom duel mode in the main menu could have also been a masterstroke, where you could choose your enemy and customize the AI difficulty, weather, biome, etc.

Damn, those are some really great ideas to prolong the gameplay and bring some sort of competitive "online" modes into the games.

GymWolf

What if....get this....they don't want to make a full sequel and would rather make something else?

Crazy right?
I'm all open for an entirely new game, but after the success of tsushima, it's not gonna happen.

I don't even care that much for a full sequel of that game, so imagine how excited i am about a dlc for the same brand...

kyliethicc

Final Prediction

Ghost of Ikishima
$50
PS4 PS5
Fall 2021

10-12 hour singleplayer
Yuna is main playable character, not Jin
new map - Ikishima (obvi)
takes place after end of GoT

includes same Ghost Legends multiplayer modes
cross play with GoT users, and PS4 + PS5
some new mp content added

Last edited:
Final Prediction

Ghost of Ikishima
$50
PS4 PS5
Fall 2021

10-12 hour singleplayer
Yuna is main playable character, not Jin
new map - Ikishima (obvi)
takes place after end of GoT

includes same Ghost Legends multiplayer modes
cross play with GoT users, and PS4 + PS5
some new mp content added

Hopefully they go beyond a simple 60FPs update for the PS5. If they can nail a higher resolution that would be a nice upgrade.

Fake

Hope this is a native PS5 APP. Will do wonders to the game. Or even come with a PS5 version of the original GoT.

yurinka

Anyone think they will announce this at an event or with a SoP?
Well, it's time for Sony to make an event somewhere soon:
-They must make a full Death Stranding Director's Cut reveal
-Need to announce this
-Need to announce/showcase the new CoD
-Need to confirm release dates of many H2/early 2022 exclusives: Horizon 2, Ghostwire Tokyo, GoWR, GT7, several cool indies and more
-It might be a good idea to announce some 2022 big potential exclusives like TLOU2 Factions, Spider-Man 2, Guerrilla's MP game, Firewalk's game, FFXVI, etc.
-It would be nice to hype a bit EVO mentioning they will have some great news there (potential announcements: Sony acquiring Arc System Works, Tekken 8 and Street Fighter VI being announced there, LoL fighting game being showcased and announcing a PS4/PS5 version...)
-Might be a good place to show how the PSVR2 helmet looks and mention it will be released 2022
-Might be a good place to mention future PS Plus or PS Now improvements plans

Last edited:

SSfox

If games are ported, it won't affect me as a PlayStation player. So I'm fine. I'll only be affected if games are compromised because they are designed to be available on multiplatform on day one. For instance, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart wouldn't be the game it is if it was compromised to be available on PS4 and/or older PCs.

As long as that doesn't happen, I don't think most PS5 users will complain. Other than that, the more the merrier.
This is where Hermen Hulst want to go though, he won't tell it you directly of course, but that's his goal.

Top Bottom